Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
It starts at the western end of Burry Port, beside the fields opposite where the road width is reduced.(Car boot sales on Saturdays in the field so a bit manic with cars). Signposts say canal route off the main road between Pembrey / Kidwelly.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/new-traffic-free-route-pembrey

You can ride on into Kidwelly, not much there apart from a castle.

You can also ride back from Kidwelly on a rough track which follows the coast and marshes but it gets flooded, you need an mtb for that stretch.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
An early am ride out for me today. Not far but I've been lethargic all this week and I felt I needed something to shake it off.
So it was up and out for 6am, which given that for ages I hummed and hawed about getting out of bed wasn't too bad.

Out and down to Oakwood Clock, a left towards town and down to the lights at the Fforde Grene (as was) to pick up Easterly Road.
Up to Oakwood Lane and then on up to the ring road via Wellington Hill, north on the A58 and turned up towards Shadwell.
Straight through Slaid Hill to Moortown and back to Oakwood Clock. Another loop down and up Easterly Road and that was it.

12 miles and 700 ft of up. Fixed.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/28394781

Well, you learn something every day, but really.

Two six o' clocks in a day??

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been a tiring week at work, and needed a head clearing/thinking time ride. Headed up to WGP, out through Ascot and then down to Windlesham. Home via Lightwater and Chobham. A much needed and enjoyed 33 miles. The sun came out 3 miles from home, the rest of the ride in a bit of mist.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short one today but I got my brother out on his bike for the first time since March.

We headed along the cycle path to Telford Way then took a left and made our way round to Sydney Avenue where we had a coffee stop at the new cafe I mentioned recently (Polly's Kitchen). Nice coffee and although there are no specific facilities for visiting cyclists they have lots of fence space to lean the bike against/lock to. Could make this a regular stop-off when riding in company.:okay:

After our stop I took Doug along the riverside to Water Lane where we headed into and around the town centre before dropping down to the Welsh Bridge end of The Quarry and riding back through the park to head out of town via Sutton. Not sure I would have brought Doug this way if iI'd realised how crowded the centre was going to be (all good for the shops though).

Doug ran out of energy on the final bit of climbing and it's clear that he has lost a lot of bike fitness but he seems to have enjoyed and if I can persuade him out again I'm sure that can be rectified.:okay:

11.1 miles at 9.5 mph average.

DSC0007223.jpg

On Sydney Avenue.

DSC0007228.jpg

Drinks on the veranda at Polly's Kitchen

DSC0007230.jpg

Shrewsbury's Oktoberfest is being set up in The Quarry.

DSC0007232.jpg

A bit further on, the park is looking autumnal now.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A week off work consisting mostly of housework, waiting for BT to sort out the transfer & set up of broadband & TV (problems still ongoing!) and cycling.

Monday - 50km ride up to and through Ipswich to Westerfield, then out to Martlesham and home via Waldringfield & Newbourne
Monday.png

Wednesday - 100km ride making the route up as I went - Through Ipswich and out to Sproughton, Burstall, Aldham & Hadleigh, then up towards Stowmarket through Semer & Bildeston, but cutting cross country part way ending up in Needham Market because of a side road I'd not taken before and wanted to see where it went (Battisford Tye & Battisford, ending up at Barking it turrns out). Then home via Claydon, Westerfield & Bucklesham
Wednesday.png

Today - A 50 miler in beautiful sunshine & warm conditions (once the mist had lifted) through Ipswich, out to Wherstead and through Woolverstone and Chelmondiston down to Shotley before heading out to Holbrook & Alton Water via Erwarton & Harkstead. From there it was back to Ipswich via Tattingstone and Wherstead (again) with a loop being taken around the top of the town to get to the Bucklesham road home.
Friday.png

Back to work on Saturday for seven straight days of commuting.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It was Imperial Century a Month time again yesterday, and a picture-perfect day for cycling. Not a breath of noticeable wind throughout. I could have gone anywhere, so naturally I headed for Birmingham:

Oct5m.JPG
Oct5e.JPG

A figure-of-eight heading north from Gloucester initially.

I'd picked out the road passing Lower Bittell Reservoir, near Barnt Green, as possibly very attactive, but the trees obscure the water almost completely. After the big climb of Lickey Hill I headed eastwards through the southern outskirts of Birmingham. It's an area of extraordinary contrast. At this point you're running along the spine of England, the lands to the north draining to the river Trent. I noticed a farm call Wast Hill, I name I know from the very long tunnel on the Worcester and Birmingham canal burrowing far below.

Earlswood lakes were formed by damming the river Blythe, the waters of which make their way eventually to the Trent. Living hear to the tidal Severn, these seem like exotic far away lands.

Earlswood1.JPG
Earlswood2.JPG

Much lower water levels than on my previous visit in August last year.

I returned via Croome Park, crossing the river at Upton. Heading out of Upton I saw a tandem ahead which I seemed to be catching, so I looked forward to a chat. As I approached it stopped while the pilot inspected something on the front. Moments later as I spun my way up the hill it shot past and disappeared into the distance.

I resumed riding centuries just over three years ago, after a very long gap, and this was the hundredth since then. :cuppa:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's ride, my first proper ride for three weeks as all my leisure time has been taken up with clearing up damage from storm Ali. For once a day off w*rk coincided with some decent weather, once the morning's rain had cleared. I started my loop heading north over the Windydoors climb, down to Stow then up the 15% to Lauder Common, where I stopped for some photos.

IMG_20181005_154053[1].jpg

Above is looking east with the road pointing towards Dirrington Great and Little Law on the horizon. Where the road disappears is the start of a Strava segment called 'can you hit 50'. There wasn't enough of a tailwind for that, but at 40 mph a suicidal sheep walked out in front of me, fortunately for both of us it saw me at the last moment.
Feeling lucky I continued east on the A697, a main road I normally avoid due to the number of HGVs and suicidal sales reps. The dozen or so waggons which passed me all overtook in a safe manner fully on the other side of the white line, but were invariably followed by a string of lemmings in cars who continued to overtake even when no longer safe due to approaching blind corners. I was passed by one sales rep type in an Audi doing about 80 mph in a temporary 40 limit which was there due to patching works and random large potholes. I managed about seven miles before discretion became the better part of valour and I turned off and stopped at Rumbleton Law.

IMG_20181005_162458[1].jpg

Looking north towards Dirrington Little and Great Law on the horizon.
After three weeks without a proper ride and having done two big hills at this point I was knackered so turned for home. I stopped at Leaderfoot to admire some of the autumn colours.

IMG_20181005_172118[1].jpg

Foreground Trimontium roman ampitheatre, background Leaderfoot Viaduct, Drygrange Old Bridge, Drygrange New Bridge.

The map:

upload_2018-10-6_13-52-58.png

48.3 miles @ 14.6 mph, 3708 feet up.

galaxy

Veteran
It starts at the western end of Burry Port, beside the fields opposite where the road width is reduced.(Car boot sales on Saturdays in the field so a bit manic with cars). Signposts say canal route off the main road between Pembrey / Kidwelly.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/new-traffic-free-route-pembrey

You can ride on into Kidwelly, not much there apart from a castle.

You can also ride back from Kidwelly on a rough track which follows the coast and marshes but it gets flooded, you need an mtb for that stretch.
Ex

galaxy

Veteran
Rode the path that Salar suggested today. Then a few more circuits of the closed circuit track. Breezie but very enjoyable indeed.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
If you could dial up your own perfect weather conditions for a bike ride, I'd have chosen today's. A chilly start that momentarily made me question my choice of shorts, short-sleeved top and fingerless gloves, but then glorious, dry and sunny conditions with very little wind and bone dry roads. A great little 36.1 mile club ride with a couple of big hills (Horsepools Hill and up to the top of Whiteshill on the way out, followed by a slog up towards Selsley through Middleyard). As we turned right at Whiteshill down the wonderful little Ruscombe Valley, I was just telling one of my fellow riders about the time we spotted a couple of deer just there once, when I looked across the valley there was another deer, grazing casually among the horses just yards away from all the houses in broad daylight.

After Randwick, the climbing was done, and it was a great, flattish ride out to the Black Shed café on the canal bank at Slimbridge, and then back along the Severnside lanes through Frampton, Saul, Epney and Elmore. One of those rides when it's a shame it has to come to an end. Oh well, the Missus has me on tidying up duty now, as we've got people coming round tonight and my cycling "clobber" is apparently "all over the place". :blush:
Time for a cuppa, first.:cuppa: Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
9D56AB45-6AB6-4B9F-B769-691F2B4EAC1C.jpeg
A6C444B5-2F46-43B9-B211-BBC8AAD1C591.jpeg

It was still really chilly when we set off at 10am this morning, 3 layers, silk glove liners, 2 pairs of socks and warm shoe covers required.
A ride for brunch at D’Oyly’s tea room in Bolton Percy which I can highly recommend.
27 steady miles with an average of 15.2 mph, lovely morning with friends.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride from my mums new flat today. We were on road bikes.
Through Wollaston and past Hadlow Rd station, then down to Burton. The sheep had been rounded up, some in a pen, some free running but in a tight flock. We had to give way

259216D4-02B4-4DC4-B984-974CA5A0426D.jpeg
50A31C2F-F176-40A3-99ED-8F1050F64B79.jpeg

Just over the board walk 5 tandems came the other way.

Into Deeside and we stumbled upon the Wales rally

20BB64CE-6643-461D-9702-7C0532711C99.jpeg

Then we tootled along the greenway through Chester and a stop at Meadow Lea farm cafe for a bacon butty, ‘‘twas nice!

Back through the lanes until we saw Stanlow in the distance, then back through Ellesmere Port. Almost 30 miles

FD3C34CB-1151-4860-9591-972DC7EF1B8E.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1889711203

Old jon

Guru
A bright and chilly morning again and I really must go for a ride. Four and a half miles last Tuesday is not going to reduce my excess weight or increase my fitness, although the ascent of Pendle Hill last Thursday might improve both those goals. Sorry, the ascent on foot is what should have been typed.

Twenty four miles today, beginning with the Holbeck hobble and a slightly more sprightly crossing of the Aire at Crown Point Bridge. Sundays are very quiet, are they not? Usually, from the Palace ( a pub, Leeds has a few ) onwards there is a nuisance bit of traffic around but this morning very little all the way to the Clock at Oakwood. Pleasant. Pass the scruffier park gates and along to the bottom of Boot Hill, for the first time in a while. And it showed. I had to stop about halfway up, and this was not to admire the scenery. A couple of minutes and all was fine again. Cross the Ring Road and continue along the A 58, then turn right onto Red Hall Lane. Straight on to Skeltons Lane at the mini roundabout, much preferred the crossroads, and at the end turn left. The first Thorner Lane of today’s ride, a very welcome descent through Sandhills and into the village the Lane is named for. Along Main Street, pass the church and more or less straight on to Milner Lane. Up that steep little climb to the junction with another Thorner Lane and what Google Earth has just told me is Kennels Lane. I rode along Milner Lane though, towards East Rigton, not remembering to turn on the camera until that village came in sight. So along to Rigton Green and turn the thing on.

After four minutes or so a ‘U’ turn was needed. Video done and the ride was already going to be a bit longer than intended. So, return to East Rigton, down the drop to the A 58 and turn left when the lights allowed. Down the hill, the railway bridge is long gone, and then the long climb through Scarcroft. This is not a slog all the way, the gradient varies often and fools the legs into thinking they have rested. Of course, the steepest bit is the last . . .

After the road levels out it passes what once was some sort of school or college. Advertising now informs the world that a luxury retirement village is to be built there. I suppose the folk that live there will have a good view of the farm across the road. So I rode past this promise to find a couple more rises in the road on the way back to the Ring Road and the drop down Boot Hill I bought earlier. Back to the Oakwood Clock and further on to the roundabout at the bottom of Eastgate. Crown Point Bridge again, uphill and feeling less sprightly. A quick flit through a bit of Hunslet and then home. Happily tired.

A strangely shaped route, thank you Garmin

07102018.jpg

Top Bottom