Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just about time this afternoon to take the Giant flatbar out for a quick 50km on the usual route around Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Westerfield, Rushmere & Bucklesham before a shower, dinner and then out to Cambridge for the Laura Veirs gig at Storey's Field Centre. Warm enough for shorts & short sleeve top when the sun was out, but quite a chilly north easterly breeze.
Screenshot_2018-10-19 Garmin Connect.png

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Chillier this morning than yesterday so I got my winter layers on and took the Raleigh round another of my regular routes: Shrewsbury, Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Pentre, Melverley, Crew Green, Prince's Oak, Halfway House, Westbury, Edge, Lea Cross, Exford's Green, Lyth Hill & home.

I took the full set of lights this time and set out as the school rush was underway which was bad timing, so had to work my way past all the wayward youngsters (do any of them look whee they are going?)

At Shelton I met with a couple of cyclists at the traffic lights who commented on the cold and said that they'll probably finish for the season when the clocks change. They took off ahead of me but didn't pull away so I ended up overtaking up the short sharp climb on the road out of Montford Bridge.

On the road to Little Ness I ran into fog - not sunlit and picturesque like yesterday but grey, damp and cold. I'd already put my lights on for the busy stretch of road through Bicton earlier and they stayed on for the rest of the trip (unlike a few of the motorists I encountered - sidelights are not sufficient in fog!).

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, which was good. I started to ride through clear patches around Westbury which was good as I could use the long straight without worrying as much about who was coming up fast behind me. I did decide not to follow it to Nox though and go via the lanes through Edge instead.

With it being cold and damp I decided not to extend the ride this time and headed back over Lyth Hill.

33.3 miles this time at 14.4 mph average.

DSC0007272.jpg

Just to give an idea of the conditions, a shot at The Royal Hill.

DSC0007273.jpg

Looking towards The Lawley and Caer Caradoc towards the end of the ride now I've escaped the fog.

DSC0007274.jpg

Lyth Hill with fog spilling over the top.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Ta-dah! Finally managed to get my October 50k in today, after the two abortive attempts.
I went out north of Ipswich and came back the same route - I'm intrigued by how much (obvious) stuff you miss going on the outwards journey that you'll spot on the return leg. ^_^
Two claims for the day: close up to a magnificent roe deer at Coddenham and spotting an enormous raptor swooping around at Gosbeck. And first ride this end of the year when I questioned the wisdom of finger-less mitts - I needed my emergency shower jacket to get my temperature back up on the return.
This at Helmingham with Patsy #2 The CX with her new wheelset. (Oh, and Jay Diamond now has his own FaceBook page - just for the laugh, you understand.)

19.10.18 Helmingham.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Day off work so once it warmed up a bit I headed out on my normal route to Farnham via Ripley and Nidd. The lane to Nidd from the A61 is pretty quite and I stumbled upon a meeting of pheasants; two dispersed to fields either side and a third took off straight in front of me.
pheasant.jpg

Once up the climb out of Farnham turned north through Copgrove, bypassing Burton Leonard to Bishop Monkton
Bish Monk3.jpg

Then west through Markington and south east down Scarah Bank back to Ripley where I followed NCN67 Nidderdale Greenway which was nicley quiet and therefore fast for a change. With only a few walkers and dogs to encounter the clearer vistas readily showed the slight uphill grade in this direction.
NCN67 NiddG.jpg

Turning off up Bilton Lane slumbering suburbia was somewhat different with a large crane blocking most of the road.
BiltLn.jpg

28.52 miles 1432ft climbed Avg Speed 14.1 mph - was slightly baffled by the Garmin giving some odd speed reading then I realised I had not refitted the speed and candance sensors:banghead:
1910 route.jpg
1910 elevation.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
An important target reached yesterday: a ride of 138 miles, completing my collection on Strava from 100 to 139. I already have 150, so that just leaves every number in the 140s, and my work will be complete.

Here's some pictures. A brief pause at Kelmscott, near Lechlade:

18Oct19a.JPG

A few miles later from Lus Hill, looking north across the broad Thames plain:

18Oct19b.JPG

And a final look back east in the later afternoon from the A46, before descending out of the Cotswolds:

18Oct19c.JPG

Maybe I should've just photgraphed the sky!

Garmin suggests the temperature touched zero a couple of times early on. I'm a little doubtful, but I certainly needed every layer. For a while there was an annoying area of cloud that obstinately stuck itself over the sun, but eventually it cleared.

On such a perfectly calm day on predominantly flat roads, my riding was pretty appalling. But it turns out I have a cold developing, so there's a good explanation and maybe the end isn't nigh just yet, much as it seemed to be at times yesterday. I'd have to say there are days I've enjoyed more though!

The route (clockwise) and profile - a curious-looking creature:

18Oct19m.JPG

18Oct19e.JPG

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Keith and I left our house in Saint Lluis and rolled into Mahon for the start of the ride. We reached the square and leant our bikes against a planter with an olive tree in it. We had a drink from the cafe and chatted to various folk
3A3B7FCC-FA9B-4DC6-9613-B3432F266894.jpeg
E610B164-532E-4B97-B318-ABC40802173C.jpeg
DCD9DF54-348D-42D0-B7AC-C634ADB417C1.jpeg

Then at the stroke of 9 we were away. I picked my bike up.... something felt odd.
A bloody front flat! I swore, and swore some more then set to changing the tube. It was a nasty needle like thorn in the tyre.

Once fixed 350 cyclists, outriders, ambulances etc were nowhere to be seen. Luckily one of the organisers was still there, she gave us directions.

We’d hoped to take it easy before the timed hill climb of S’enclusa, but we had to go like hell to catch up. After about 8 miles we passed a couple of local lads fixing a flat, then at 10 miles we caught the stragglers, after 15 miles we were back in the main group, just in time to take the small roads
81D81B10-DD5D-46E7-99B2-D0FA30038B1E.jpeg

0584D068-E15C-45B5-9CBF-5C47E0DB6098.jpeg

9C12D10B-689B-4924-A567-AA53FAADACBC.jpeg

At S’enclusa I thought I’d done better than last year, my Strava tells me different!
We came back to Mahon in a convoluted way, always pretty, never flat.

I recorded the whole day as a single ride, 74 miles at an average of 15.5mph.
Keith recorded the event @16.5mph.

Lots of climbing, very warm and sweaty.... 26°c. A cracking day!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1916181857

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After missing out on a ride last weekend, I was determined to get out this morning so was on the road just after 8 - and I needed lights! :eek:

I'd decided to head east for a change as it's been a while since I've been out that way, and it's fairly flat once the first five or six miles are in the bag which would be nice after far too much climbing last time out. Up the hill to Scholes and right at the Coronation Tree for Barwick, cresting the hill and then enjoying the downhill through the village and all the way to the bridge at Cock Beck where the climb up Cattle Lane keeps you honest.
Lumpiness from there to Aberford, where there are temporary traffic lights (this would become a trend) and once negotiated under the A1(M) bridge and the climb up Lotherton Lane where there are more temporary lights for absolutely no reason whatsoever. No roadworks, no signs of anything recent, no damage to the road surface, just 50 yards of one lane coned off...:dry: Obviously the lights were on red...
Anyway, beyond them to Lotherton Gates and left over the county line and into North Yorkshire, for the long descent to the Crooked Billet pub and not long after there the right for the sharp climb up into Saxton.

This is the first ride out on the Boardman since the new Jagwire gear cables were fitted and it was shifting perfectly, but something was rattling and really annoying me. A fleeting fettle suggested nowt serious and almost certainly the cables vibrating on the underside of the Garmin mount, so a temporary solution sorted until I got home.

Through the village and out on the treelined Headwell Lane, (which I always think looks a bit like a rural French road), before a squirt on London Road and into Barkston Ash. Which leads to the long straight of Common Road which becomes Common Lane halfway along and continues all the way to Church Fenton where the nearest thing to a climb is the ramp up the railway bridge. Through the village, noticing the long closed pub (White Horse?) is being converted into residential and onto Brackenhill Lane around the southern side of the airfield. At the last moment I decided to take Oxmoor Lane to extend the ride as I was enjoying it so much, which took me all the way to Biggin.
Left at the junction and heading for Cawood on a slightly rough surface and the cables started vibrating again, so a bit of mobile fettling and seeing the turning for Wistow it was down there for a bit of virgin tarmac.
Not 100% sure where this would go, at the next crossroads was a sign for Cawood so I turned along there and was soon on the fringes of the village, passing a field of ripe looking pumpkins.
Through the village and straight on past the caravan park and into Ryther, taking the left onto the quiet lane that would take me over the East Coast Main Line and round the airfield back into Church Fenton.
Just before the village I stopped for a quick bite to eat and a couple of photos:
IMG_20181020_095601958_HDR.jpg
The hangar on the left is now used for film and TV work, apparently the next series of Victoria is being filmed in there at the moment
IMG_20181020_095625998_BURST001.jpg

And I hope that sign is a mere hangover from when this used to be an RAF base...:whistle:

Anyway, back into the village and retraced my route through Barkston Ash, then the long way round into Saxton and out up Coldhill Lane, before dropping onto Copley Lane where there were yet more temporary traffic lights (on red).
Along to Lotherton Gates, back into Aberford and a reverse of my outbound route through Barwick and on to Scholes, then down the hill and up the other side, before local roads up to home

36.87 miles (59.3km) in 2h 43m at an average of 13.5mph with 1,384ft climbed and an average temperature of 9.2°C

Enjoyed that, good to get out again after nearly two weeks and a nice day for it once the sun came up. Today was also the first ride out for a pair of inexpensive FDX winter bibtights I'd taken a chance on from the internet along with some new BBB overshoes and both performed well.
The bibtights especially seemed spot on, have a good fit / cut and feel more expensive than the price tag so look like being a bargain for over the winter - I don't think they'll quite be up to sub-zero temperatures but they coped well today. Fingers crossed.

And to end, the map:
20102018.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Andy G in Ludlow. The forecast was for a super day but it was chilly to start. That extra jersey I'd packed was just the job. Our first significant climb took us over Wart Hill. Next we headed for Asterton Bank which involved more hilly stuff. We continued up through White Grit. A bit of a descent took us to cross the Vale of Montgomery to the town itself and The Ivy House Cafe. Lunch went down very nicely.

We continued over the Vale to climb steeply at times to Bishop's Moat. There followed a lovely run through an autumnal valley of the River Unt. We took in an extra climb out of the valley to Cefn Einon before our navigational error was noticed. We retraced to continue along the river valley to Clun. Churchbank took us rather steeply up and away but the views from the top were wonderful. The ride along the Redlake is always so scenic. Some loss of altitude to cross the Teme meant we had the climb up through Mortimer's Forest before the drop back to the Teme at Ludlow and our starting spot. Super riding with Andy again. Excellent day for it too and 6600 feet of ups meant it was a fairly hilly day. 72 smiles

Top Bottom