Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quick utility ride today of 4.5 miles. I rode down the road for 1.5 miles to a client's house where I parked the CX in her living room while I walked her dog for half an hour. Then got back on and headed into the wind, all the way to the hospital to meet Hubster. Last 1/4 mile was into driving rain and a headwind - joyous. I had to wait a couple of mins as Hubster was running late but then he arrived, loaded the bike and I got back into the dry.
Road bike saddle now on the CX and it's all wrong. It seems to have tipped forward and it needs putting back a good 1cm too. I'll do it later.
21:33 riding time only but better than nothing.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
5.6 miles today, what I could work in with a couple of flats and some fettling, replacing a previous owners bad rim tape job with a bit better one. Wiser to have checked all this in the first place, but sometimes you just need to change a tube now and again. And again. After fettling, I cut the lawn. I would have gone earlier, but dogs had a veterinary visit today, and I had lunch with Mrs GA and my niece, who is going home for the summer from university after today.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Quick commute in today,nothing much to note apart from avoiding rowing coaches again;

https://www.strava.com/activities/299648562

On the A10?! Braver man than I!

Enjoying reading the ride reports and seeing the pics from everyone. I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks now with recurring muscle pains (quads) that leave me grounded. Thoroughly peed off! Hope to get back out there again soon even if only for a few short rides.

@Glow worm you didn't miss much here this morning. Someone ordered rain and someone else delivered it.

Umm. what can I say. 18.8 very slow miles in full waterproofs and rain!
There was a brief lull in the weather where blue sky broke out, but I didn't let it lull me into a false sense of security. Full waterproofs stayed on until I got home. They were needed again.

IMG_3330.JPG

It looked much worse the other way!
https://www.strava.com/activities/299757854

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a 'challenging' start to the morning I had to give myself a good talking to, and forced myself out on the bike. Glad I did too, as the doom and gloom soon lifted and I ambled off on a short ride to nowhere in particular. I ended up at Penton Hook Marina, somewhere I pass regularly but never to into, so mooched in for a look, specifically trying to get closer to a building I'd spotted. This was as close as I could get, not sure what it was, but interesting looking
7 May 2015 Penton Hook Marina Rusty Building.jpg

There were also boats, some better kept than others.
7 May 2015 Penton Hook Marina Boats.jpg

Did me the world of good to get out, even though I feel like I'm competing with @SatNavSaysStraightOn for slow riding, achieving a whole 9 miles in an hour.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
114 miles today. Set off at 06:00 under brilliant blue sky and hardly any wind. Did my usual and set off with no particular route in mind.

Saw a recumbent tandem, I didn't even know they existed.

Had a chat with an old boy who was walking up a hill. He was on a mint condition Bob Jackson bike. He was over 70 and was touring, much kudos to him. He told me that he used to go up the hill with a dog on the back of his bike.

Got wet twice and dried out once

And finally a big clap to the Matalan wagon that gave me the best pass I have probably ever had. He went to overtake me and was just about alongside when a car appeared coming towards us. Rather than keep going he dropped back and stayed behind for a good 1/4 mile while I plodded up a hill. He then gave me a really wide berth when he did eventually go by. Gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a toot of his horn.

Saluki

Nice ride this morning, along the Marriotts Way. We went in the car to Freeland's Corner (the high point of the cyclepath - 126' above sea level so we took oxygen natch).
We just followed the cyclepath and saw wrens, a heron, several swans. Horses all rugged up and passed a cross country course, really nicely built and made me long for a good horse and a spare hour or two. We took care past the badger setts, which seem to be mostly fenced off now so people are aware of them and control their dogs. We stopped for a good 10 minutes at a field opening and watched a pair of Hares playing in the field. They did look at us, they knew that we were there, but they seemed totally unfazed by us and, after looking at us for 30 seconds or so, carried on playing. We carried on riding after they went through the hedge and out of sight.

The Themelthorpe loop is literally a loop in the old railway track - used to the the M & GN railway. Known locally as the Muddle & Go Nowhere, if I remember correctly. Closed by that nice Dr Beeching. The loop goes from Whitwell Station - they have steam trains and whatnot for those interested around to Reepham some 5 miles along. When we'd done the loop and arrived at Reepham, we popped across the town and rode the mile and a half on tarmac, back to Whitwell for a coffee and Hubster had a huge bit of carrot cake.
7 miles back to the car.
We averaged about 10.5mph on our CX bikes, in the sunshine. About an hour and 3/4 riding time and it was good. Hubster says that he will stop complaining about riding on tarmac after some of the really muddy sections that seemed to suck his wheels to a near standstill.

contadino

Veteran
35 degrees, 30 km @ 23kmh average. An inordinate number of insects bouncing off my glasses. My back was fine, so long as I remember to keep it straight, which is much like when I'm at my desk so no real hardship. My legs do seem to be getting used to hills with only 12 gears, which is a relief. Even my gear changes are getting less noisy so the friction shifters are staying.

Gonna have to swap the saddle. I think I'll take the one off my MTB - I know that's OK for 50kms at least - but only until I can get a Charge Spoon sorted. This one is a PITA...
Bike 5.JPG

gavgav

Guru
It wasn't appealing cycling weather, light rain as I set off, cold wind blowing YET AGAIN, but I ventured out after work for a loop around my regular evening route.

Climbed up Lyth Hill and the rain had stopped by now, before dropping down to Exfords Green and then a little deviation up to Stapleton Common, with the usual ridiculous amount of traffic for the narrow country lane (7 cars and 2 motorbikes in about half a mile!)

Called in at Dads for a quick 10 minute chat and then continued to Ryton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford (passing the Polling Station where there wasn't much activity happening) and then Cantlop.

Just after there I dropped towards Betton Abbots and had a bit of a moment, when changing into top gear, as the pedals jammed :eek:. I was doing about 20mph, but just as I was about to wobble into the hedge I hit a bump and luckily it dislodged the problem, meaning I avoided an embarrassing tumble!

21.7 miles, slow at 11.1 mph avg with that wind being in my face for a lot of the ride.

Saluki

Just back from my usual Friday hospital run. I had a bit of time - but not as much as I thought really - so went a new (ish) route.
I headed off up Bluebell as normal and turned right through Eaton (where I stopped as I'd been accosted by a fly so had a big glug of water as it was fighting back) and then up and over the bridge and then turned left and headed off, over the A47 (I think it is there) to Intwood.
Backwards%20Intwood%20to%20Hospital.jpg

From Intwood I followed the road to East Carleton and then headed right towards the Ketteringham crossroads. Deciding that I didn't have the time to pop out at Ketteringham and then back to the hospital via the Hethersett Road and cyclepath, I headed right and towards the 2 horrible A11/A47 junction roundabouts and, on the left hand bend near them, I hopped up on the the pavement on the right and rode and walked over the footbridge. Easier said than done in cleats. Up is OK, except for the checkerplate step. Down is mostly OK, except for the checkerplate step. Lethal when it's wet.

I knew that I was a bit late, so changed the music on my iPod to something a bit louder and rockier (kind of) and whizzed up to the vet's at Eaton and along the cyclepath to the A11 bike and pedestrian crossing and then to the hospital via Roundhouse Way, again.

10.72 miles in just under 44 minutes on the PX roadie so I was happy with that and, most importantly, I had a great ride.

Attachments

• Backwards%20Intwood%20to%20Hospital.jpg
    Backwards%20Intwood%20to%20Hospital.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom