Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/298558748

27 miles in some horrendous cross winds.

image.jpg

The cows were lying down. Either that means it's going to rain, or they were lazy cows.:huh:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Can't miss thanks to the other guys pink!!! Overshoes . You didn't look like you were suffering to much did the tandem catch you up ?^_^ well done on getting round
That was the shallow part of the road, about 5%, it ramps up to 17% not that far after (this was before the stomach problems too). That tandem didn't catch me, but I saw two others on the way round.

EDIT: Their red number board shows they were doing the 82 miler. Respect!

Last edited:
Quick 30 miler. By quick I mean impromptu, not quick as in speed. The wind put paid to speed today. At one point a headwind gust almost brought me to a stop. Windiest ride ever for me The hawthorn hedges, now in leaf, provide some shelter, but when you pass a gap in the hedge, with the wind on your shoulder, and a car overtaking at the same time, you wonder if it would have been more sensible to have stayed at home.

Anyway, nice in the sun. Too warm for the jacket and longs I'd selected.

Bangor on Dee, Overton then back by the Wyches (Higher and Lower - named by the Romans for their salt deposits - same as Northwich, Middlewich etc) and the glacial moraines train wreck north of Whitchurch (for the geomorphologists). So a few short, sharp climbs to finish. Must buy some new bib longs - these are failing to bits

My ride today was taken on a bed , not a bike, from ward to theatre with a six hour rest break, unfortunately no coffee or cake as far as I'm aware,. Nice smooth ride back to the ward apart from a bump that felt like a pothole as we entered the lift,, I have no bidet but do have a rather nice morphine delivery system.unfortunately no photos as yet from today's ride

And all done with no helmet ^_^:okay:

MikeW-71

Veteran
My ride today was taken on a bed , not a bike, from ward to theatre with a six hour rest break, unfortunately no coffee or cake as far as I'm aware,. Nice smooth ride back to the ward apart from a bump that felt like a pothole as we entered the lift,, I have no bidet but do have a rather nice morphine delivery system.unfortunately no photos as yet from today's ride

Get well soon :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Keep pressing that button. GWS :biggrin:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

That bump was probably exacerbated by a slack chain! GWS

Not today, but yesterday.
I went out with the plan of getting between the showers having delayed the ride until the afternoon, but life was not to go to plan.
First of all a road a usually use to avoid the 'main road' was closed for repairs. The guy on the road closed sign duty did say I could go down the lane, but it was full of holes. My reply was that it was always full of holes, but when I looked from the road closed sign, it really was full of holes this time and with a bad back and the depth of some of those holes, I wasn't going anywhere near it! It is closed all week, so off I go to find another route. Never mind there is a touch of lee way in my route so I can still get to 20 miles.

IMG_3282.JPG

Just a field of dandelions I enjoy.

Off through Delamere and I come across some roadworks signs... not quite road works, but a film crew parked up on one side of the road and making a huge mess of the other side of the road... one of the road maintenance guys spots me waiting at the traffic lights and comes over to put them onto manual for me because they haven't triggered and as I was to find out, I was never going to get through on green otherwise - it was very kind of him.

IMG_3288.JPG

Then a hill I have been doing for a while now, only this time it is the first time I have seen the front of the sign post - I go up... why don't I get a notice about how steep it is?

IMG_3294.JPG

Towards the top of this section, I spotted the opportunity for a view, but was sorely mistaken. That squall was to get me later in the ride.

IMG_3295.JPG

In the mean time, the wind is making life interesting and bending my flag pole backwards! Isn't it worrying how well the hi-viz yellow on my flag blends with the hedge row? It is why I have orange on there as well.

IMG_3301.JPG

And at the top of the next climb, Wales can be seen and it is sunny again and way too warm for waterproofs.

IMG_3303.JPG

And Runcorn can also be seen, but this horse is way more interested in whether I will feed him than the weather or the view.

IMG_3310.JPG

And at the top of another hill and as high as I can climb around here it looks great in this direction ....

IMG_3311.JPG

.. but not so great in this direction. I'm off home. It is too windy and there is another squall blowing through and somehow yesterday my heart was not in it.

IMG_3313.JPG

Often the view in the rear view mirror is much better than in actuality...

IMG_3318.JPG

... but possibly not this time.
Ride aborted. 15 miles instead of 20 miles at a disappointing 7.7mph but most of the climbing is done in the first hour!
https://www.strava.com/activities/298655301

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual..

With a bit of a breeze blowing, I set off on the full sus across the lanes and fields to Salcey. I was hoping to take the CX for a spin but didn't fancy being clipped in with winds gusting to 40 MPH.

DSC_1019.JPG

I thought I was in for a shower just after Little Houghton, but the clouds soon scudded past and I remained dry.

DSC_1021.JPG

At one point across open fields, I was virtually stationary, but, with coffee beckoning, I pressed on. In Salcey Forest, there were a few trees down, but the trail was clear enough to ride, albeit weaving though the debris.

DSC_1033.JPG

One of the huge ancient trees left dotted around the place. Handy for the kids to clamber around on when they visit.
For my way home, I used one of the bridleways from the back of the forest towards Horton. It was quite rideable today even though there's been a bit of rain recently. Frequently, when wet, it clags up quite quickly!

DSC_1038.JPG

Over a bumpy bridge (not nice on a Hardtail!! :ohmy:) across the fields and up the hill to Earls Barton was fairly easy as the wind was pushing me along. Home was via Sywell Reservoir and Cut Throat Lane, a byway that gets me to within half a mile of y house.

DSC_1051.JPG

What could possibly go wrong!! :laugh:

Back home just after 18:00 on 25 miles, with a PB on Horton Road. I've not managed that speed on my Road bike before, let alone the Marin full susser. Maybe the 30/40 MPH tailwind helped :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/298678757

:smile:

Top Bottom