Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
twobikesmcginty?

"From the garage here", I have a secret store in a secret location less than a mile from here. :ph34r:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Unlucky Phil, but better look after the knee to ensure you can make the imperial without injury. Your pics brought back memories, I bought my first ever bike in an auction at that Town Hall in Montgomery as a child in the early 80's. I took all my savings out of my Post Office account and became the proud owner of burgandy raleigh with gold mudguards. I'm annoyed I dont have a picture of it, I will have to ask my parents to have a search for one, its where cycling began for me....#misty eyes

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg

Well, this is how my ride today started. I'm beginning to think I'm just too fat and heavy for cycling! Spare bike#1 was the victim of another spoke going bang! I didn't even get out of the road. I decided to have a go at a quick repair and for once fate smiled upon me making it the spoke right next to the valve hole meaning I didn't have to remove much of the adhesive rim tape. I managed the usual loop of 25 miles at 16.6 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that there are many of you who are torn as to whether to come on the fixed gear 100 mile ride next week :rolleyes:, so this is a flavour of what to expect, from today's 90 miler
This
33E79F5D-B1AA-4231-985E-9D8859481FF8_zpsm4tuob9t.jpg

This
BE0F913F-56B9-467D-93C5-6BAFC91ABD7B_zpskzoj5yhe.jpg

This
08FF9E08-B9C0-49F3-B935-2382C7F1ED11_zpsw7s3gg5r.jpg

Definitely not this, I have no idea what was going on here but we walked around
64C097A1-2BC5-48D2-8883-DA8528F75C6C_zpsudehtx2h.jpg

Pit stop after arriving at the cafe at 47 miles to find it closed due to the owner being ill
8EAEF797-0249-427C-81D0-DE2E5F3D3088_zpsghickdon.jpg

Too tired after this to take any more, principally because we had a side / headwind for 75 miles thanks to a change in the wind direction. Now recharging my batteries eating baked rhubarb with banana, honey and ginger, yum.
Obviously there will be hordes of you wanting to come on this ride but I am afraid I shall have to restrict it to less than 10 :smile:.

Attachments

• 33E79F5D-B1AA-4231-985E-9D8859481FF8_zpsm4tuob9t.jpg
    33E79F5D-B1AA-4231-985E-9D8859481FF8_zpsm4tuob9t.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 43
  • BE0F913F-56B9-467D-93C5-6BAFC91ABD7B_zpskzoj5yhe.jpg
    BE0F913F-56B9-467D-93C5-6BAFC91ABD7B_zpskzoj5yhe.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 08FF9E08-B9C0-49F3-B935-2382C7F1ED11_zpsw7s3gg5r.jpg
    08FF9E08-B9C0-49F3-B935-2382C7F1ED11_zpsw7s3gg5r.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 48
  • 64C097A1-2BC5-48D2-8883-DA8528F75C6C_zpsudehtx2h.jpg
    64C097A1-2BC5-48D2-8883-DA8528F75C6C_zpsudehtx2h.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 8EAEF797-0249-427C-81D0-DE2E5F3D3088_zpsghickdon.jpg
    8EAEF797-0249-427C-81D0-DE2E5F3D3088_zpsghickdon.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 51

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Careful TF @potsy is a fixie hipster now and the promise of riding behind Dr Pink for 100 miles might just tempt him out of Tatton Park :whistle:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Just 17 miles but happy I managed 16mph average over 14 of those miles. Nice afternoon, a bit breezy but even happier I feel fine afterwards. The stamina isnt there yet but I can push along without burying myself.
Why do I push myself ?...I thought, just a leg stretching ride, steady...within a mile or so...im head down and going for it, I just can't help it :laugh:..im nearly 57 FFS.

U

User33236

My ride today was the first in three weeks following being hit by a car on my commute home.

Still not fit enough to ride my No. 1 bike and the CX is away being inspected ? write-off. That left my 10 year old Claud Butler Urban 100 hybrid that has been languishing in the shed for about two years. I dug it out yesterday to make sure it was still safe to ride. Forgot how heavty it was! Tips the scales at just over 15kg.

Set out this morning on a short loop (6.7km) with the plan being I'd see how I felt after each loop and if ok do another. Managed one before I had to stop :-( Guess its a start though. As least it gave me the confidence that I should be able to look at commuting on my bike again soon.

Teddsie

Regular
Thanks @13 rider
Three part ride again today .First part a few solo miles as I was up early before meeting mates for group ride. Nice and sunny start so shorts and short sleeved top bit chilly to start but was just right later.So from Anstey to Thurcaston,Rothley, Cossington,Sileby and Quorn and on to meeting point in Mountsorrel .part two. 5 of us again me Andy,Steve newbie @Teddsie and a more experience work mate Ian . So route decided after being accused of trying to Kill @Teddsie last week I thought I try again a throw a good climb in the mix to see if I could do it this week. So off we set and soon split into fast group of three and me and @Teddsie at the back first junction and the fast group go the wrong way so much for everyone knowing the way. Regrouped in Swithland and turned back towards Cropston but this meant an unplanned climb .Off round the back of Bradgate park and out to Beacon crossroads and swung left and then left on to Charley road and on to Oaks in Charnwood and on to the climb .To @Teddsie credit he got up in one go ( I need to find a bigger hill) after a nice rest at the top it was downhill and right on the bottom back onto Charley rd retracing are steps .At beacon crossroads Steve headed straight on due to time pressure the rest of us carried on on the lovely fast road back past the golf course and on to Cropston ,Rothley and back to Mountsorrel .Got back to meeting to find my water bottle still on the bench where I'd left it an hour and half ago .21 miles done @Teddsie longest ride :bravo:.I can report @Teddsie is still alive (just) well done mate. Part three so 36 miles done I decided to push on a get a 50 miler in.On towards Quorn and turned to Wood house eaves stopped at the church for a quick snack and watched some runners finishing the half marathon we had crossed several times .I thought I looked tired. So on up the Beacon hill ( reminder don't attempt beacon hill after 40 miles) very slow grind to the top but made up ,on over the crossroads to Copt Oak and towards Markfield swung a left onto Priory lane and down Pollybotts to Newtown Linford and home .50.25 miles done in lovely sunshine . At home now feet up cup of coffee and cake legs feeling tired .
thanks mate really enjoyed this mornings ride I was determined only getting off saddle at rest points and done that first hill what beat me last week and chuffed got up Oaks In Charnwood. Some more short hill runs midweek to build up to what you've got planned at w/end

Last edited by a moderator:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Best laid plans of mice & men and all that. Just couldn't get up this morning so the planned early morning ride didn't happen. Spent lunchtime making lasagne and got to about 5, reading all the rides people were having so I decided to do a late one. After all, it's turned dull and everyone will have gone home for their tea.

Not a chance, but at least it wasn't too busy. Providing you ignore those families wandering along the towpath, oblivious to my bell! Stopped to take a photo of the blossom on the water and was passed by a young lady.

1.JPG

The bridge I've photographed before, from the other side. The young lady cycled through it OK, I didn't. I'm so much taller I bump my head, dontcha know. Right knee was complaining so I tended to go easy on it, must weigh my bike somehow, I'd love to know how much it weighs.

Reaching the next town, I've already reached it's outskirts before, I was surprised to see the number of cyclists at the canal side pubs, and not very much room for this, very wobbly, cyclist to get through! If I'd tried to take a photo I certainly would have fallen off & there is no way I'd do that for an audience.

I noticed some drops on my trousers on the return leg but didn't pay much attention, indeed I stopped to take another photo.

2.JPG

After all, it is all downhill from here. Then of course the rain started getting heavier. Fortunately the return leg was quieter, with just a few cycling families a couple of runners and dog walkers. And then I did divert off the canal in a couple of places, exploring parallel routes. So all in all the return was quicker, even if the rain did start to get heavier. I've now done 10 miles along the canal in that direction, opening up a few options off the canal. Next aim is to get to Tring Summit, from where further north is downhill, who knows, the surface might be better too. 10.3 mile, avg 6.8, top 17mph

Simontm

Veteran
So out to a fairly quiet road at 8ish this morning.

Thought the hills would be busy today so did the Hampton Court to West Horsley segment of Ride London. Riders started appearing going the other way round Brooklands.
Had a kestrel fly with me on Ripley Road for about five minutes before veering off into woods which was amazing :becool: !!
Turned back on the Epsom Road, went up the Drift then bombed it back via Downside, overtaking a couple of cyclists on the way down ^_^ Seven Hills, then stopped for an impromptu coffee with my dad back at Hampton Court before home.
All in all a nice easy av. 16mph/ 37 miler spin out ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like a great trip - what road did you take from Croydon to Brighton?

Ive been mulling over a ride to Brighton or Hastings for some time - but it's not obvious which routes to take.

The A23 from Croydon to Crawley, Pease Pottage, Handcross, B2114 to Cuckfield, Ansty, the A273 through Burgess to Clayton Hill. On to the A23 bike path at Pycombe into Brighton.

Top Bottom