Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/297504579

100Km Isle of Wight Randonnee.

image.jpg

The 3 noisy queens that woke me up at stupid o'clock this morning, taken out of the window of the return ferry. That's Scary Mary and Dizee Lizzy, Sticky Vicky is just out of shot. (Cunard's queen Mary 2, queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria):thumbsup:

surfdude

Veteran
10 miles a month ago , 20 miles last week , 30 miles today . getting back to fitness so hopefully soon to 50 miles then who knows my first 100 miler this year . we live in hope that the back doesn't go again . that's my back not the bikes

MikeW-71

Veteran
Today was Tour de Yorkshire day :wahhey: :unsure:

I am, I admit, a fair-weather rider and while I don't necessarily mind if it rains while I'm out, I don't normally set off in the rain. So, when I looked out of the hotel window on sunday morning to see it absolutely piddling down with rain, I resigned myself to getting soaked.

And so it came to pass. 15 minutes was all it took for everything to get wet, and the shoes to fill with water.. sigh. Can't get any wetter now, but it's a bit chilly!

It wasn't long before the first stiff climb of the day came into view. Well, the bottom of it anyway, every turn you went round revealed more of it, and more, and more, for about 1.5 miles :heat:. Once over that we were due to be going down Otley Chevin, but we were diverted as the Police had closed the road! So we followed the lumpy way of the diversion and came back on track at Menston.

Checked my average speed. 12mph. Hmm, I really don't want to drop lower than that. Handily, the next bit was just a bit undulating and going gradually down, before we plunged into East Morton. Then a few miles on the flat (!) and the average looked a bit healthier. Then Cullingworth happened. We are heading up again, and up, and up, and up, and the average speed dropped like a stone.. Not to worry, I've got a fair bit of time to reach the cutoff.

Another plunge down towards Haworth with another nasty climb up to it, ramping to 15%+ as I gasped my way to the top. Wait a minute, where are they sending us now? Ohhh, this is the cobbled high street they went up in the TdF ^_^ Cool! It's not that steep really.... Hang on, doesn't this ramp up to 17%? Yes.. Yes it does :wacko:. I wish to thank all those spectating on the street for encouraging absolutely everyone to get to the top, I've never really had spectators before and it was brilliant! :bravo:

Sadly, that was where my good form ended. It wasn't long before we got to Goose Eye, and OMG it is just ridiculously steep. I made it halfway up the steep ramp and had to walk. Then walked a good bit of the steep sections afterwards :sad: Average speed completely down the pan now, and I've finished my first bottle of energy drink. This was to be significant due to what followed.

As we plunged off the top of the Goose Eye climb, we went over a few lumpy bits and I was starting to fee distinctly unwell, and on the climb to Addingham I was getting stomach cramps. oooh, this was not good :sad: It seems that gels + energy drink do not agree with me, whereas gels + water is fine.. and I've filled two bottles with energy drink. OK then, no more gels. But wait! What's this? The second feed stop at 45 miles, which is the cut off point. What's the time... I've made it with 30 mins to spare :dance:

This was the Maserati food stop and they had an absolutely awesome flapjack with fruit and seeds in it and a little yorkshire pudding with a slice of sausage in it and red onion that was sooo tasty :hungry:. What I should have done here is fill my empty bottle with plain water and ditch the useless energy drink. :rolleyes: I only realised further down the road, so I guess I was doing without drinks from now on and hope the stomach settles.

Next on the menu was the Cote de Cow and Calf. It starts OK and is mostly just a drag, until you get to the steep ramp near the top. I walked that bit. The next climb was torture as the tummy was not improving much and I was now just crawling along, then we were retracing our outward steps and came back to the 20% hill we had come down the first time. I walked it and even that was painful. I told the guy walking next to me that I might just wait for a broom wagon as we still had Chevin to do

"Nooo, we've gone around Chevin, there was a crash on it this morning and we were diverted. This is the last steep bit, it's OK from here."

I could have kissed him. I would make it, and sure enough there were just some relatively gentle drags to take us towards the finish. Riding up the finishing straight, I was smiling ear-to-ear from the spectators cheering us on, banging on the hoardings, shame I had no energy for any kind of sprint finish.

We were handed a bottle of water after the finish and I made short work of it. Sure enough, on the way back to the car, my tummy was feeling better.

What a day! Starting is rain and finishing in beaming sunshine, however I've worn away half my brake pads and destroyed a brand new pair of cleats. :rolleyes: It was a great experience, but would I enter it again? Hmmm..... No :smile:

https://app.strava.com/activities/297545866/overview

Svendo

Guru
Rode out from Todmorden to watch the TdY at Scapegoat Hill, around 20 miles. Went via Littleborough, Blackstone Edge, Ripponden Bank, Then across to Stainland and Outlane, up to Quebec Road and then rode down Scapegoat, already crowded, then rode back to the top to scout out where to watch. Turned round and was getting told to walk then to stop by the passing Police, so I walked past the crowds and pulled in at a gap, and someone said 'Cyclechat?' and met @nickyboy, and had a pleasant chat while we waited. The crowds were fantastic, cycling there along parts of the route there was building excitement, lots of cries of 'you're going the wrong way!' and once going back up Scapegoat it was lovely if somewhat embarrassing. I did go powering up the apexes of the hairpins and then suffered for it!

IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1311.JPG
There the breakaway in the first shot, Tommy Voeckler in the second (left hand Europcar rider) no tongue today, and you can see Brad on the far side under the Union Flag in the third.

Tin Pot

Guru
Today was the annual Vintage Commercial Vehicle Rally from London to Brighton.
The weather report was for rain for all morning but clearing later. Weather reports are usually wrong, but it seemed to be spot on for today. I left home at 7.30am and it was dry apart from the damp from overnight rain. I thought my luck was in.. HA..... not likely... about 10 minutes in the rain had started. Not heavy, more of a persistent drizzle. I met @Tim Hall at Tesco's in Purley. The rain was here to stay, and it did. All the way to the halfway stop for the vehicles at Crawley. The rain wasn't too bad and it wasn't cold. A bit of a headwind tried to make things more difficult though. But we persevered and was in Crawley for just after 10am. We decamped to the Portuguese cafe off the high street for cappuccino's and most delicious custard tarts, the waitress being very impressed with Tim's Portuguese.
The bikes were left outside leaning against a shop's closed shutter. The proprietor came along and decided to open the shutter without first asking if someone could move the bikes. With the result of both bikes crashing to the ground. Tosser. Luckily no damage to either bike.

This WW1 vehicle was coal fired and driven and did see action during the Great War. Just check out those metal wheels, made just a little comfortable for the driver and stoker with a rim of rubber. We got stuck behind the beast for a good half hour is it climbed Burgess Hill at a glorious speed of 5mph. Belching more white smoke then Battersea Power Station could ever manage. The smell of it took me right back to a child and the smell of coal fires that everyone used to have.
View attachment 87681

Dads Army...
View attachment 87682

Anyone need a delivery of Oxo?
View attachment 87683

By the time we left the cafe the heavy drizzle had abated and it was a pretty nice run in to Brighton. Overtaking a good few of the Vintage Vehicles in the process. Brighton was looking very damp and grey, the sea looking very angry.
View attachment 87684

But it wasn't raining so as is now tradition. Fish and chips (&mushy peas) on the beach was to be had. I don't think it touched the sides.
View attachment 87685

The weather now was looking brighter, so time to head for home. Taking in the rolling hills of the Devils Dyke, some parts covered in mist. More rolling hills cross country back to Handcross, Tim H tackling @MacB 's hill on a fixed as if it was a pimple. Once back on the main roads quick progress was made, clothing and bodies drying out at last. I left Tim at Redhill and soon knocked out the last few miles to home. Finishing in glorious warm sunshine.

So 108 miles for the day, half of them in the rain. May's Century A Month Challenge ride all done and dusted. Century 12 for the year, 146 over all and the 53rd month in a row of a Century ride.

Thanks Tim H, appreciated you making the effort to accompany me out in the crap weather.

View attachment 87686

Looks like a great trip - what road did you take from Croydon to Brighton?

Ive been mulling over a ride to Brighton or Hastings for some time - but it's not obvious which routes to take.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Beautiful day here on the South coast. Took my new Ridgeback Tourer out for its first real spin now everything is fitted, tightened and checked by the excellent guys at my LBS ( Lockes of Sandwich ) before my month in Europe in July. Everything works a treat, though the saddle will need to be swapped with my road bike.

Allergy sufferers beware

20150504_111633.jpg

but fab coffee at Goats that dance cafe.

Good to be back out there in the warm sun.

20150504_104652.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got the week of work this week, apart from today the weather looks crap :angry:. So I thought I better get out and get May's imperial century done. Got up and it was dry but a little bit windy, waited until 05:45 for it to be properly light so I didn't have to bother with any lights.

No particular route in mind, I thought I would just set off and see where I end up. In the end the furthest from home I ended up was a place called Long Buckby, I've not been there before was a nice steady climb right through the village (more like a small town).

Very warm ride and sunny all the way, just a bugger of a headwind if heading any sort of southerly or westerly direction. Was very hard work. Absolutely loads of cyclists out and about which was great to see.

Anyway ending up doing just shy of 109 miles and I've just worked out that I've now done 350 days where I have ridden 100km or more in a day - first one was 2nd May 2013, - vast majority of these have been done whilst commuting so normally split over two rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/297910904

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After an 02:30 finish this morning, and home to bed by 03:15, I managed to get out on the CX for a few miles by 10:30 ish...
Only a ride through the villages to Pitsford Reservoir, dodging people, dogs on and off their leads etc plus the swarms of flies most of the 9 miles around!. Whenever I go there, I try and remember to take my buff with me to filter out the bigger ones before they dive down the back of my throat..

DSC_0997.JPG

Nope, they ain't multi-coloured flies, they're Sprinkles.. :okay:

Pleased to be getting away from the res, I headed back towards home via Overstone and through Court Farm

DSC_1000.JPG

DSC_1004.JPG

Nice to do a few solitary miles though secluded woodlands after the Res!

Back home on 22 miles in lovely weather... Off to w*rk now until stupid o'clock again. .. Booooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/297912371

:smile:

mooseracer

Guru
Got the week of work this week, apart from today the weather looks crap :angry:. So I thought I better get out and get May's imperial century done. Got up and it was dry but a little bit windy, waited until 05:45 for it to be properly light so I didn't have to bother with any lights.

No particular route in mind, I thought I would just set off and see where I end up. In the end the furthest from home I ended up was a place called Long Buckby, I've not been there before was a nice steady climb right through the village (more like a small town).

Very warm ride and sunny all the way, just a bugger of a headwind if heading any sort of southerly or westerly direction. Was very hard work. Absolutely loads of cyclists out and about which was great to see.

Anyway ending up doing just shy of 109 miles and I've just worked out that I've now done 350 days where I have ridden 100km or more in a day - first one was 2nd May 2013, - vast majority of these have been done whilst commuting so normally split over two rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/297910904

Really impressive miles, your Strava puts me to shame! Well done ^_^

Top Bottom