Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Furthest I have ever been on a bike today, nowhere near most of you but delighted with myself!
I record it via my Edge 500 and Strava yet somehow both failed today...Garmin didnt start until 1.8 miles in and Strava went off after 21.6 miles! Anyway, between them worked out I did 32 miles, my longest by 10 ^_^
1 thing I did discover, the NCN number 1 is far far far from nice cycle paths, took me through 2 fields covered in cow/horse/whatever crap today, Wasnt what I expected but at least did mean I could carry on my journey.
Missed the sunshine others seem to have had, so only grey miserable dull photos taken (and also got held up at every level crossing I pass) !

But still enjoyed it, and thats all that matters isnt it :okay:

Attachments

• K61-xc1qE3QF5LD37MsC5xzFnxKkZXfIlMZTkwmVO_E-576x768.jpg
    K61-xc1qE3QF5LD37MsC5xzFnxKkZXfIlMZTkwmVO_E-576x768.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 9Rvw72zQI6e8IbUNCmTioHGOV4yk10i_Nk36wEmryG4-576x768.jpg
    9Rvw72zQI6e8IbUNCmTioHGOV4yk10i_Nk36wEmryG4-576x768.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 47
  • upload_2015-5-4_21-25-6.png
    upload_2015-5-4_21-25-6.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 49

gavgav

Guru
A short ride to finish the Bank Holiday off. I'd been out with friends this afternoon, and it was lovely and warm in the sun, but as soon as I headed out on the bike I realised it had gone really cold since the cloud had rolled in and so I had to stop to put a jacket on almost straight away.

I went over to my Brother's house to see my Nephew for half an hour and to pick up my Hayfever tablets that I had left there when I moved out. The sneezing season seems to be hitting me 2 weeks early this year.

I then continued into the Quarry, where I passed a chap cycling backwards on a unicycle whilst juggling to music :blink: Not your everyday sight!

I then went through Copthorne, into Gains Park and back down to Radbrook, Nobold and Meole Brace.

16.5 miles

Katherine

Guru
Haydock stop 1.jpg

My turn around point at Haydock looking pretty today.

I went for a ride instead of doing the gardening - again! I really must stop looking at the weeds and plant up some pots.
Despite the wind I enjoyed riding out in the sunshine. 36 miles and lots PR's on parts when I had the wind behind me.

A learner driver gave us both a fright when she nearly took me out on a roundabout. She went straight onto the roundabout without pausing, despite the fact that I was already half way round, having come from her right. I had to swerve very quickly when I realised how close she was coming up behind me. I followed her when she turned off to warn her how dangerous it was to overtake on the roundabout rather than waiting. When I caught up with her I could see she was upset so I gently said that it wasn't safe to overtake like that and she said sorry but she hadn't seen me!! (I had very bright clothing on.) I told her that she will know next time. An older woman (her mother?) was in the car and didn't say anything. I think the older woman was equally to blame for letting her drive like that and also for not seeing me.

I've been trying to sort of do track stands when I think I won't have to wait for long, so today I had my first toe-clip moment and have a bruise and scrape on my shin from the toeclip to show for it :sad:. I was trying to maintain a little momentum and keep my feet in the pedals at the bottom of a narrow hill waiting for the lights to change but I went over the white line and had to stop abruptly in case a car came over the brow coming the other way. It was a bit of a hard landing on the cross bar too! I don't have a cross bar on my old bike so I'm not used to being careful with one or both feet on the ground.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 87839

My turn around point at Haydock looking pretty today.

I went for a ride instead of doing the gardening - again! I really must stop looking at the weeds and plant up some pots.
Despite the wind I enjoyed riding out in the sunshine. 36 miles and lots PR's on parts when I had the wind behind me.

A learner driver gave us both a fright when she nearly took me out on a roundabout. She went straight onto the roundabout without pausing, despite the fact that I was already half way round, having come from her right. I had to swerve very quickly when I realised how close she was coming up behind me. I followed her when she turned off to warn her how dangerous it was to overtake on the roundabout rather than waiting. When I caught up with her I could see she was upset so I gently said that it wasn't safe to overtake like that and she said sorry but she hadn't seen me!! (I had very bright clothing on.) I told her that she will know next time. An older woman (her mother?) was in the car and didn't say anything. I think the older woman was equally to blame for letting her drive like that and also for not seeing me.

I've been trying to sort of do track stands when I think I won't have to wait for long, so today I had my first toe-clip moment and have a bruise and scrape on my shin from the toeclip to show for it :sad:. I was trying to maintain a little momentum and keep my feet in the pedals at the bottom of a narrow hill waiting for the lights to change but I went over the white line and had to stop abruptly in case a car came over the brow coming the other way. It was a bit of a hard landing on the cross bar too! I don't have a cross bar on my old bike so I'm not used to being careful with one or both feet on the ground.
A like for the report rather than almost getting mown down or for finding the cross bar.:ohmy:

gavgav

Guru
Well, that didn't go to plan.:sad:

My aim today was to get the imperial century in for May and possibly to do a bit more and reach another milestone.;) All started well, I was up and about on time and out of the house just after 7, doing an orbit of Shrewsbury on the lanes to the east, the north and then breaking away to the west. I headed out through Condover and up to Upton Magna initially, then skirted the edge of Haughmond Hill and continued through Astley, Hadnall, Walford Heath. It's ages since I last rode some of these lanes and I'd forgotten what a pleasant area it is. The panoramic view from near Merrington was brilliant - shame my photos don't look anything like as good as it was in real life.:rolleyes:

Moving on I was onto more familiar roads on the route to Melverley. Having added 15 miles with my change of route so far I added a couple more by going up to Kinnerley rather than the direct route to Melverley.

I was riding against the wind by now which was a bit blustery but not as bad a as last time I headed for Montgomery which is where I was aiming for next. Halfway House, Westbury and Worthen came and went. I had my second break of the morning at Brockton before pressing on again.

By the time I reached Montgomery thye back of my left knee was starting to ache. This has happened on the last three long rides at about this mileage (50ish) but has been okay when I easeed off a bit. I took a break for lunch here, then pressed on to find that the knee didn't really want to play today. I got to Bishop's Castle and was seriously considering abandoning the ride, but surprisingly after the climb over the hill into town it seemed to be easing so I carried on.

It had lulled me into a false sense of security though and by the time I got to Lydbury North I was struggling. At a place called Five Turnings I stopped to assess the situation: Although I really wanted to carry on and finish my planned route, realistically it was a non-starter. I could shorten the ride and head for home but that would still mean straining the knee further and having the disappointment of not hitting the century. Having no mobile signal I decided to try and make it to Craven Arms and call for help from there. This was a pretty slow and ponderous ride but eventually I got there and my brother was able to come out and pick me up. Thanks Doug!:thumbsup:

Not the way I wanted to finish the ride but I've managed to clock up 75.2 miles at 13mph average, so not a complete disaster and the metric century for the month is sorted. I think a few days off the bike would be an idea and the imperial century will have to wait.

View attachment 87799
Setting out into lovely conditions.

View attachment 87800
Arch over the road at Ebury Hill

View attachment 87801
Blossom at Astley.

View attachment 87802
Hadnall and the Salopian Brewery's new premises

View attachment 87803
Stop for elevenses at Brockton. When out riding I tend to eat Hobbit style:laugh: (Frequently that is).

View attachment 87804
Great scenery on the way to Montgomery.

View attachment 87805
The centre of Montgomery.

View attachment 87806
Bishop's Castle and the point where I should have ended the ride.

View attachment 87807
Not a great photo due to a change in conditions, but; the famous Arbour Tree in Aston on Clun

View attachment 87808
Ride abandoned, rescue called for. Time to grab a hot chocolate and a flapjack from the Discovery Centre in Craven Arms.
You know what I said about not overdoing it, the other day :whistle:! Seriously though, some rest this week, you don't want to put yourself out of action for 5 weeks time!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Fantastic 17 miles around Cheshire lanes with family and friends. 9yr old romped up any hills we encountered (small by our usual standards) and Even Lady Skol enjoyed riding her new bike up this hill just after a pub visit in Great Budworth...
upload_2015-5-4_22-0-27.png

A lovely pub lunch sat in the beer garden at the Leigh Arms, Acton Bridge before returning to Marbury Country park via Anderton boat lift.

jhawk

Veteran
My first ride today!

On a loanee bicycle. Had to get into town to check the mail and grab a few things from our old place. Not a bad thirty kilometre trek. Will do the same tomorrow as I check the mail every day. Gorgeous 26 degrees outside. Now that my bike is up and running, it's time to get riding! Waiting on a new tyre for the touring bike, too. Should have that soon.

Fantastic 17 miles around Cheshire lanes with family and friends. 9yr old romped up any hills we encountered (small by our usual standards) and Even Lady Skol enjoyed riding her new bike up this hill just after a pub visit in Great Budworth...
View attachment 87867

A lovely pub lunch sat in the beer garden at the Leigh Arms, Acton Bridge before returning to Marbury Country park via Anderton boat lift.
I recognise that road! I don't recall a 9year old but did you pass a trike around Acton Bridge? I seem to recall seeing a lady rather like the one in the picture..

Longish ride in today which included a not really intended loop around Bar Hill(looking for a short-cut I couldn't find) and a short dual carriage way hop;took it fairly easy including a quick stop at the USAF cemetery and a coffee stop in Cambridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/298483565

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I recognise that road! I don't recall a 9year old but did you pass a trike around Acton Bridge? I seem to recall seeing a lady rather like the one in the picture..
I'm sure you would have noticed Jnr, he would have looked almost exactly like this...
upload_2015-5-5_10-51-19.png

Although he may have taken off the top by then and been wearing an almost hi-viz bright, yellow shirt at that point. I think we were at the Leigh Arms around 1-2pm.

EDIT:
My boys make me so proud I just have to add this. 9yr old spun up Soot Hill in Anderton with a big smile on his face and at a surprising pace considering this was just near the end of the 17 mile ride. He is a star ^_^
upload_2015-5-5_11-10-36.png

Last edited:
Furthest I have ever been on a bike today, nowhere near most of you but delighted with myself!
I record it via my Edge 500 and Strava yet somehow both failed today...Garmin didnt start until 1.8 miles in and Strava went off after 21.6 miles! Anyway, between them worked out I did 32 miles, my longest by 10 ^_^
1 thing I did discover, the NCN number 1 is far far far from nice cycle paths, took me through 2 fields covered in cow/horse/whatever crap today, Wasnt what I expected but at least did mean I could carry on my journey.
Missed the sunshine others seem to have had, so only grey miserable dull photos taken (and also got held up at every level crossing I pass) !

But still enjoyed it, and thats all that matters isnt it :okay:

Nicely done:thumbsup:

Remember my first 20+ miles felt like far longer when I got back home!
Not as painful as my first 40 mile club ride though,that really hurt:B)

I'm sure you would have noticed Jnr, he would have looked almost exactly like this...
View attachment 87899

Although he may have taken off the top by then and been wearing an almost hi-viz bright, yellow shirt at that point. I think we were at the Leigh Arms around 1-2pm.

EDIT:
My boys make me so proud I just have to add this. 9yr old spun up Soot Hill in Anderton with a big smile on his face and at a surprising pace considering this was just near the end of the 17 mile ride. He is a star ^_^
View attachment 87901
nope, I wasn't around there at the time. Back home by then.
Kids are quite surprising at times and often have more energy than we do! The Anderton boat lift hill (either of them) are interesting at the best of times as a climb, though not particularly long and there are plenty of cyclists around here that get off and walk them so he did really well.

SpaCyclist

This is a write up of my ride to see the tour de Yorkshire on Friday. unfortunately I had to work each of the days over the Bank Holiday weekend - so no chance to post it earlier.

I planned a ride of about 75km around the route taking in the climb in Dalby Forest and the finish at Scarborough. The route started from a long layby at West Knapton just off the A64, went up to Dalby Forest, across to Scarborough then back, mainly on the A170 to return to the start point.

Tour de Yorkshire ride.jpg

the first part of the ride was flat, and the climb through Dalby Forest attractive and, in the main not too steep. It was great to ride along roads with very few cars around. I watched the race come past near the top of the KoM climb. I was astonished at the speed the riders came up the hill, and there was a close tussle for the KoM points:

TdeY dalby Sprint 1.JPG

Close racing for the KoM points in Dalby Forest

At this stage Sky were controlling the front of the pelleton

TdeY Dalby Sprint 2.JPG

the ride from Dalby to Scarborough was great. Quite a lot of people were heading in the same direction, and it was good to cycle with others.

In Scarborough I found a vantage point with a good view of the finish line. Unfortunately I couldn't see the big screen from my viewpoint, but never mind! Scarborough sea front is a great place to finish a race. You can see the riders come in from nearly a mile away around the bay, and the grassy banks provide plenty of viewing spots. There was a cold wind blowing in off the North Sea, but the weather was bright or sunny.

TdeY wait at the finish.JPG

Waiting at the Finish

The number of spectators built up as the race approached, and there was quite a large and enthusiastic crowd by the time the riders came to the finish.

Eventually the race arrived:

TdeY Nordhaug wins.JPG

Nordhaug wins.

The pelleton followed about three minutes behind:

TdeY Peleton.JPG

I made my way down to Marine Drive, and was surprised how far behind the riders two further large groups came across the line.

I rode round Marine drive while the road was still closed to traffic (bouncing over the cobbles, which were a surprise as well), up Valley Road an then Stepney Hill and along the A170. I missed the turnoff I planned to take towards Malton, and had to do a U turn, then had a flat return to the car.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the ride, and seeing the racing. I hope the Tour de Yorkshire becomes a permanent and well supported feature in the cycling calendar.

Top Bottom