Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only another 20 miles today, disappointed. weather was lovely, time on my hands, discovered a couple of new roads that looked interesting, but despite all this just didn't feel it, felt more of a grind so called it a day :-(
upload_2018-11-4_19-30-50.png

upload_2018-11-4_19-31-18.png

upload_2018-11-4_19-31-49.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Todays plan was to get the imperial century challenge ride done, not going to be another chance this month. Up before the alarm at 0515 and out the door at 10 to 6. The route, well rather stupidly it wasn't 100 miles to start with, lesson learnt there. Started on my normal work commute, and at 5 miles in Stanwell a rather noisy crashing as something fell off the back. My Altura pack had snapped it's mounting bracket:angry: So what to do now? In the end I backtracked a couple of miles, emptied the contents of the back that I figured I would need into my jersey pockets, swapped jacket for gilet and left the rest on Dad's doorstep.
Off we go again, round the airport then Northwards through Yeading, Ruislip, Greenford and Perivale. I was on largely residential roads to gather Explorer squares which meant slow going and no rhythm and no fun. Onwards through Acton, Shepherds Bush, Fulham and over the river at Putney before a leg stretch to Wimbledon. Before long I was in Kingston, a mere 15 miles from home. Only problem was Garmin saying I'd only done 50 miles:rolleyes: My now I'd had enough, I was not staying particularly warm, and anything even remotely hill like was a struggle. Shoved some food in and pressed on, having to make it up as Iwent along, mentally figuring a route that would get the miles done. Ended up going via Walton, Addlestone, then out to Lightwater and Ascot before coming home via Windsor Great Park. 2 miles from home and I'm a few miles short so an extra bit past Thorpe Park and a cooldown loop of the estate got me to 100.37 miles.

Pretty sure that was my most hateful, least memorable ride of 2018. Still, at least it's an excuse to eat chocolate and ice cream later:smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Imperial century ride today, left the house just before 06:30 to meet @13 rider in Thrussington for 07:30. Made good time with the tailwind and got there 07:15, by this time it was light enough to turn the lights off.

Decided to ride the way I expected @13 rider to come from and sure enough bumped into him just around the corner.

Of we went tailwind pretty much all the way to Lincoln. Nice cafe stop at Byards Leap. Opens at 08:30 so great for the early birds.

Had a couple of drizzly miles but the temperature was great for a November.

Both of us ended up doing 200km rides

https://www.strava.com/activities/1946138698

colly

Re member eR
Out for around 7am this morning but needing to be back by 9am latest.

So fixed wheel it was and I headed east towards Garforth then I decided to do a bit of exploring and turned off through Kippax and made my way up to Great Preston and and then down to Castleford. At Cas I turned off the road onto the path beside the River Aire. The intention was to make it all the way along to Woodlesford. Well it started off just fine but around Allerton Bywater I 'lost' the track. I did see where it went but thought the path looked so insignificant that it was probably just leading round the back of some blokes shed. It turns out that was the path after all.
So being in Allerton Bywater and knowing I was off track and didn't really have time to start looking for the right path etc etc I decided to make for home.
So it was the long climb up through the Prestons. Down into Swillington and then home asap. Got in just before 9am. Which was a surprise for Mrs Colly because 'she says' I'm always longer than expected when out riding...........................Brownie points banked................Oh yes:dance:

All in all it was 22 miles and about 1100ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29275167

13 rider

Guru
As above 1st chance for an imperial ton in November for the monthly challenge .Hadn't got anything planned ask the local ccers if anyone had anything planed and thankfully @Supersuperleeds had a 200km route planned so route sorted .Out the door at 6.40 to the meeting point at Thrussingtin was early but found @Supersuperleeds heading towards me . So off early. Normal roads out to the vale of Belvior and a nice tailwind pushing the pace along . I got to the meeting point with 3 miles less than required for the 200km so needed to find some on route . Thankfully @Supersuperleeds route had some there and back veloviewer squares grabs in so each one was extended . At the cafe stop we discussed timing and realised we could get a train an hour early than normal if we kept the pace up and passed on a second cafe stop .A couple of nasty climbs don't say Lincolnshire is flat one nasty one about 20% . Then a square grab that involved going down a 10% just to climb back :crazy: which lead on to the cliff as it's known locally and it lives up to its name both of us grovelled up in bottom gear . But from the top we had 55 miles of nice flatish riding other than a descent and climb out of Horncastle . Had a stop on a bench when I reached 100 miles for a Mars bar . I'm feeling it now so spent a lot of time on @Supersuperleeds wheel as he towed me along :whistle:. Reached Barnsley then its 10 miles of pan flat along the cycletrack . Made station in good time half an hour to spare with 124.9 miles so had to go round the car park to round it up :smile:. November imperial ton in the bag 125 miles in 7.23.13 at 16.8 mph the fastest 200,km for me by along way :rolleyes:. Had a few minutes of drizzle but from what was forecast I will accept that we rode on quite a few wet roads so we were lucky . Cracking ride in great company . The 11 miles home from the train station were painfully slow legs didn't want to play at all

colly

Re member eR
As above 1st chance for an imperial ton in November for the monthly challenge .Hadn't got anything planned ask the local ccers if anyone had anything planed and thankfully @Supersuperleeds had a 200km route planned so route sorted .Out the door at 6.40 to the meeting point at Thrussingtin was early but found @Supersuperleeds heading towards me . So off early. Normal roads out to the vale of Belvior and a nice tailwind pushing the pace along . I got to the meeting point with 3 miles less than required for the 200km so needed to find some on route . Thankfully @Supersuperleeds route had some there and back veloviewer squares grabs in so each one was extended . At the cafe stop we discussed timing and realised we could get a train an hour early than normal if we kept the pace up and passed on a second cafe stop .A couple of nasty climbs don't say Lincolnshire is flat one nasty one about 20% . Then a square grab that involved going down a 10% just to climb back :crazy: which lead on to the cliff as it's known locally and it lives up to its name both of us grovelled up in bottom gear . But from the top we had 55 miles of nice flatish riding other than a descent and climb out of Horncastle . Had a stop on a bench when I reached 100 miles for a Mars bar . I'm feeling it now so spent a lot of time on @Supersuperleeds wheel as he towed me along :whistle:. Reached Barnsley then its 10 miles of pan flat along the cycletrack . Made station in good time half an hour to spare with 124.9 miles so had to go round the car park to round it up :smile:. November imperial ton in the bag 125 miles in 7.23.13 at 16.8 mph the fastest 200,km for me by along way :rolleyes:. Had a few minutes of drizzle but from what was forecast I will accept that we rode on quite a few wet roads so we were lucky . Cracking ride in great company . The 11 miles home from the train station were painfully slow legs didn't want to play at all

125 miles. 16.8mph average ? :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A moderate ride today as I needed to be back, and one of my regular routes: Lyth Hill, Condover , Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cound, Cantlop, Condover and back via Lyth Hill again.

Rather grey and misty out so lights seemed like a good idea and you can tell that the schools are back today as the traffic was a constant stream on the main road. I must have waited a good five minutes for a gap in the traffic to get over the A49 the first time.

The ride was fairly sedately paced as the left leg aches a bit still from the last ride - I knew about it when I attempted to sprint for that gap in the traffic.

Not many people around - a few walkers and three or four cyclists.

24.3 miles at 12.4 mph average.

No photos this time due to the dull conditions.

A shorter than usual ride today - only six miles. :sad: Although that was not the original intention...

Set out at midday for a pootle just as the sun was coming out, riding out via the Common, through Downham, along The Hythe to Way Head. Almost got taken out about a hundred yards from my front door by a chap in a 4x4 turning right at a junction while driving on the wrong side of the road. He passed me about six inches from my right elbow. :angry:

Just on the Coveny side of Way Head, I got my wheel caught in a crack in the road - a crack that was impossible to spot thanks to the mud being dragged everywhere due to the farm traffic. The *SPLAT* was, alas, inevitable, and so down I went. :cry:

Ouch. :B)

No major damage to me thank goodness, could've been a lot worse as I hit the deck pretty hard. I have some patches of road rash and a few fairly hefty bruises - right knee has both. Helmet is toast though, as is my right glove. Right pedal and brifter on the bike are pretty chewed up, and I've torn the saddle. Hot bath is on the agenda for later, plus will check the bike out properly in the morning.

Chapeau to a pair of very dear friends who came PDQ to bail me out from in the middle of nowhere, as I couldn't get the chain back on cleanly and in any case, I was far too sore to ride back. :hugs:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A shorter than usual ride today - only six miles. :sad: Although that was not the original intention...

Set out at midday for a pootle just as the sun was coming out, riding out via the Common, through Downham, along The Hythe to Way Head. Almost got taken out about a hundred yards from my front door by a chap in a 4x4 turning right at a junction while driving on the wrong side of the road. He passed me about six inches from my right elbow. :angry:

Just on the Coveny side of Way Head, I got my wheel caught in a crack in the road - a crack that was impossible to spot thanks to the mud being dragged everywhere due to the farm traffic. The *SPLAT* was, alas, inevitable, and so down I went. :cry:

No major damage to me thank goodness, could've been a lot worse as I hit the deck pretty hard. I have some patches of road rash and a few fairly hefty bruises - right knee has both. Helmet is toast though, as is my right glove. Right pedal and brifter on the bike are pretty chewed up, and I've torn the saddle. Hot bath is on the agenda for later, plus will check the bike out properly in the morning.

Chapeau to a pair of very dear friends who came PDQ to bail me out from in the middle of nowhere, as I couldn't get the chain back on cleanly and in any case, I was far too sore to ride back. :hugs:
Hope you feel better soon and your bike too!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Blimey, not good - GWS!

Owie! Heal quickly.

Top Bottom