Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A shorter than usual ride today - only six miles. :sad: Although that was not the original intention...

Set out at midday for a pootle just as the sun was coming out, riding out via the Common, through Downham, along The Hythe to Way Head. Almost got taken out about a hundred yards from my front door by a chap in a 4x4 turning right at a junction while driving on the wrong side of the road. He passed me about six inches from my right elbow. :angry:

Just on the Coveny side of Way Head, I got my wheel caught in a crack in the road - a crack that was impossible to spot thanks to the mud being dragged everywhere due to the farm traffic. The *SPLAT* was, alas, inevitable, and so down I went. :cry:

Ouch. :B)

No major damage to me thank goodness, could've been a lot worse as I hit the deck pretty hard. I have some patches of road rash and a few fairly hefty bruises - right knee has both. Helmet is toast though, as is my right glove. Right pedal and brifter on the bike are pretty chewed up, and I've torn the saddle. Hot bath is on the agenda for later, plus will check the bike out properly in the morning.

Chapeau to a pair of very dear friends who came PDQ to bail me out from in the middle of nowhere, as I couldn't get the chain back on cleanly and in any case, I was far too sore to ride back. :hugs:
A like for the report. I hope you heal quickly

In the cold light of day, I realise I've been extremely lucky. Looking at the damage to my helmet, I've very obviously gone down face first after sailing over the handlebars - the peak and front are rather chewed and the outer shell has delaminated from the core.

But I'm ok. Yes, I look like a panda, yes, I'm really stiff, and yes, I can't bend my right knee due to the road rash, but it's all mendable.

Mirabile, Wiggy got off really lightly too. Damage looks purely cosmetic, though I did have to tighten all the cables. That's one tough wee bike.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The roads were wet as I headed out. Jules H was at the Pot and we headed through well worn lanes. John B came the other way at Bromsberrow so we stopped for a chat. Nice to see him after some time. We arranged to meet up soon. On we rode to Dymock and Kempley where Jules began to flag. We would need to stop soon. So on the off chance we called in at the Golf Club near Linton to see if they could provide sustenance. They could so we did.

The plan was now altered so we took some lanes which Jules didn't know and I hadn't ridden for some time. Just spectacular autumn colours through the woods were on display. Wish I'd had my camera. We emerged from lesser ridden territory at Taynton and headed for the Hams and the standard run back. Jules had survived and I'd enjoyed renewing brain nav and getting that unexpected run through the woods. Must go back before the leaves fall. 64 smiles

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
91C6BD71-AEAD-43BA-8884-98945BB2B8F1.jpeg

A fantastic MTB Night ride tonight with Dave who was riding his cross bike. 13.5 miles in total. A bit difficult to take decent photos at night, picture shows the bridge over Cock beck (we call it Poo bridge!), the beck apparently ran red with blood during the battle of Towton 1461.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This week I've been staying in Morecambe, watching the sea and touring around by car. I have my bike, and with the help of my lovely wife, yesterday rode to Hartlepool.

I'm staying near Bare Lane station in the east of the town. From there it's a short hop to the promenade, and I began by riding round to the stone pier where the cyclepath through Lancaster and beyond begins:

CtoC1.JPG

CtoC2.JPG

The quality of the cycle paths serving the Lancaster area is astonishing, and I was able to ride through the city on decent tarmac with few interruptions to progress, all completely off-road. Naturally the paths were being well used, and strangely, cyclists seem to ignore each other completely. I was of course hoping to find someone to ride beside for a while and tell them where I was going, but sadly it didn't happen!

From the centre, the route heads out along the river Lune with several lovely views of the rapids through the autumnal trees. Near Halton there's a big bend in the river and a double crossing on the old railway line, and the view of the hills begins to open up:

CtoC4.JPG

Soon afterwards the path comes to an end and there's no alternative to the A-road for a while. I was intrigued by the cable car at the brick works in Claughton. A few miles later I took the B6480 which roughly follows the river Wenning to the Benthams, and then I cut northwards to Ingleton.

For a while, the route needs little introduction, as I'm sure the next bit has been ridden on multiple occasions by a large number of members. After grinding out of Ingleton, I was fortunate to find the wind being funnelled up the valley past White Scar, before an unexpectly tough ramp over to Ribbehead:

CtoC5.JPG

A much more relaxing climb follows, reaching the spine of the country at Newby Head. I was pleased to see a pass sign, even if it isn't quite in the right place:

CtoC6.JPG

The descent that follows must be one of the best there is. Again, I'm sure it needs no introduction. The roads were wonderfully quiet.

I cut the corner at the bottom, avoiding Hawes and taking the valley road via Hardraw. The sun was bright now, and I know I shouldn't complain, but as the main road still looked quiet I decided to cross back at Bainbridge, getting the benefit of views across the valley with the sun behind:

CtoC8.JPG

Around Aysgarth the road becomes more testing and it was with some relief that I reached the bridge at Wensley to begin the day's last serious climb through Leyburn and Bellerby. The sky was now looking more threatening, but it made for a dramatic final view of the hills:

CtoC9.JPG

There was another splendid descent to Catterick Garrison, after which I hurried along the unlpeasant A6136 to Catterick Bridge, ignoring the appalling apology for a cycle track, which as always was on the wrong side. Just one display of petualance from a driver whom I hadn't inconvenienced in the slightest.

Across the Swale, and then and almost completely flat section to the Tees through a spell of steady rain. So little to separate them here, yet bound for the sea on opposite sides of the North York Moors. This is the Tees at Neasham:

CtoC10.JPG

I'd picked out a route which bisected Darlington and Teeside and would eventually head into Hartlepool from the north. I found the countryside here fairly nondescript (I hope I'm not offending anyone!) with villages persistently sited on the tops of the hills. I'd seen a possible off-road option, called the Castle Eden Walkway, but the photographs I'd found suggested it would be pretty muddy in November.

The major town in the area is Sedgefield, which looked quite posh. My route made it's final turn towards the sea at Trimdon, which seemed anything but, but was redeemed by the first glorious sight of the North Sea.

The very busy A179 wasn't too terrifying, and part of it is avoidable by going through the village of Hart. I was a bit perplexed by the extraordinary railway embankment along the shore, seemingly built to deny a sea view to anyone living in the coastal suburb called, ironically enough, West View. :wacko:

At the Headland, the agreed meeting place, the obligatory views in what was now seriously fading light:

CtoC11.JPG

CtoC12.JPG

Just as welcoming was the sight of my wife and car. Rather a lot of credits were used yesterday!

A single-day Coast to Coast in a manageable 111.08 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1953842733

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Yesterday was a different day here, usually rains means no ride. Now that said I ventured out knowing that there was a high chance of getting wet.

Another guy joined me and so we headed out full speed trying to avoid the rain, now no one told me it was going to be this windy as well..!!!

The result? Crazy numbers all around when it comes to power and HR... Speed ways was ONLY 0.2 km/h faster (?)

But I managed to do my best time around this little 50 km TT loop I created.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.00.24 PM.png

Strava link for curious people: https://www.strava.com/activities/1953368165

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I had planned to do my metric century qualifying ride today, but a lazy start and having to give the Van Nic a once over as it was squeaking somewhat from the 100 miler last week delayed my start, so I decided on the metric half instead.
With no route planned I decided to go to Eton Dorney to do a couple of laps around the lake. I got there very quickly, with an average 18.5 mph over the first 13 miles, very fast for me. Needless to say it was wind assisted, and the 2 laps I did were half fast, half slow:laugh:
The ride home was somewhat slower, and I got a bit wet too. Never mind, home after 32 miles, quick lunch, walk the dogs and another 5 miles up the High Street.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd seen a possible off-road option, called the Castle Eden Walkway, but the photographs I'd found suggested it would be pretty muddy in November.

Good call, although the underlying surface is firm which means there is some grip in all but the wettest conditions.

It's NCN 1 then turn right onto NCN 14 for Hartlepool.

Decent paths because unlike some you feel like you are getting somewhere.

You emerged from the Dales at Catterick, which is what I do when cycling back to Sunderland from my static caravan at Bedale.

Routing for the coast is then dependent on where you cross the Tees, either at Croft as you did, or a few miles east at Yarm which is what I usually do.

Crossing at Yarm means you are slightly handier to pick up NCN 1 at Thorpe Thewles, but since you weren't going that way there's not a lot in it.

Yarm is permanently strangled with motor traffic - partly due to the bridge - and the ride north past the likes of Eaglescliffe and Egglescliffe is a bit urban fringe grim.

Some of the villages later on are prettier, Redmarshall, Carlton, and Thorpe itself.

Good cafe in the former railway station at Thorpe, then head down for Hartlepool, although spotting the right turn onto NCN 14 is a navigational challenge - I've known riders miss it.

I reckon the Yarm route would be a few miles shorter, although you would still have made your century.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After meeting John B in the lanes on Tuesday we arranged a meet with Pete M in Colwall. John lead us through known lanes but joining them up in a different way to take us to Much Marcle and the run along the lower slopes of the Marcles for Trumpet and the cafe. We arrived just as some rain started.

Our chat continued as the rain stopped and started. It did get brighter eventually so we headed off for some new bits of tarmac for Pete. We got quite close to Colwall on the run in but looped north to add a few more miles. After parting I headed back via Evendine where the autumnal tree colours were wonderful. 51 smiles

Top Bottom