Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A December treat on the tandem, both sets of knees exposed! No pics luckily...
Blue skies as far as the eye could see until I turned down Long Road toward Comberton. A huge blank of dark clouds. I changed my route, heading west instead of east.
A headwind all the way to Gamlingay. There were kestrels and fieldfare about and a few blue tits flitting in the hedges. Mrs Dave saw a great spotted woodpecker, I missed it!

Our now usual stop at Waresley GC to get the rail wind home. We were there just before noon and we seemed to be the only people not tucking into a roast. Jo had a cheese scone, I had a stale sticky bun. No custard tarts again!

Christmas tree season is upon us. £80 for an 8 footer!
A1D28D7E-F1AF-4BAB-AC95-F6F9A7AAE488.jpeg
6262EED4-53D9-494A-8DF4-3AE7AE47376F.jpeg

27 blowy, sunny, cloudy warmish miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1996261025

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hard man's MTB ride today for @dan_bo & me. We took on the Pennines in winter and won! It was cold, wet, lumpy and, as Dan would put it, 'Double Mucky' but we loved it and I clocked up over 25 miles which was great considering the last time I rode my MTB was a 20 miler at Sherwood Pines in July :eek:

No pictures unfortunately as it was far too damp to be getting electronic devices out of their safe storage pockets but our route took us out of Manchester via Daisy Nook and Hartshead Pike before dropping through Mossley and then skirting the very edge of the boundary of the moorland fires as we headed along Moor Egde Road and around to Dovestones reservoir.
No ride would truly be complete without a café stop so we sat dripping outside the Limekiln Café at Uppermill while I demolished a fantastic sausage and egg butty made with two thick doorstep slices of fresh white bread and a hot choc and Dan nibbled two slices of flapjack and washed them down with a triple shot coffee. This gave us just the push we needed to climb the hills one more time and rise up above Oldham at Scouthead.
Here we parted company, but I wasn't quite finished yet and headed straight for a gnarly old descent I know down Wood Brook Lane and across the stream before turning onto Stonebreaks Road. Final climb of the ride was back up to the summit of Hartshead pike where the clouds parted just as I arrived and I was rewarded with a clear sunlit view across Manchester and out towards the power station at Fiddlers Ferry. Perfect end to the ride.

It might have been a grim day, and Dan took a little arm twisting to go through with it, but in the end it was a rewarding epic ride and I'm certainly glad we did.

TigerT

Veteran
My ride yesterday was a spur of the moment decision. The whole day ended up being bike related activities despite none being planned.

It started off by heading to the local Christmas Market on foot and noticing that the new bike shop just around the corner from my apartment was opening that day. So after a quick scan of the market I headed in - Pretty impressive. Lots of shiny things for future purchases. It was 10% off for opening day so it would have been rude not to buy anything! I kept to things on my list and added a tool for pushing back calliper pistons and a bleed block to my toolkit + a new set of Overshoes. Even better, on my way out of the door I got handed a Bratwurst, so that was lunch sorted!

Ka%UB1w%Rs6A6xGVQE4eqQ.jpg
Outside the new very local bike shop just 1 minute from where I live.

I then decided to head into Zürich for a wander around. I wasn't impressed by the Zürich Christmas market (too many people, too commercial) so I headed to my favourite bike shop for a coffee and a chat. About an hour later and having bought a very nice Merino Top and neck warmer, I decided my day would be better spent rinding my bike rather than spending money on new bits for it.

At 6 degrees it was toasty warm compared with my last few rides, so at about 3pm I headed out to Baden. I've been preparing my old Roubaix as a winter bike so as it was still going to be wet and muddy on route, I decided to take that one. It's a lot better over gravel than my newer Trek. So I just took the most direct route down the gravel lanes on the way out.

It was while I was enjoying a hot chocolate and a slice of carrot cake, that I realised that I wasn't sure if I'd charged my lights. It was already getting dark, so I decided to head back. The gravel route on the way out was far muddier than anticipated so I decided to take the longer road route back - It was better lit, so I could leave the lights in flashing mode to save battery, and then switch them to solid beam on the bits where there was no street lighting. As it turned out, there was plenty of battery left, but I was a bit concerned most of the way home. I love riding in the dark, but not if I can't see!

The journey back went quite smoothly and I enjoyed it more than the way out, even though it got a lot colder as soon as it got dark. Back home in time to cook dinner and settle down for Strictly on TV.

Tried out all my new kit and along with my bike, it is now caked in mud. Think I'll let it dry before I attempt any cleaning.

Today it's raining really hard, so I'm glad I got out yesterday. Staying in the warm and building Lego - I'm just a big kid at heart :-)

IMG_0281.JPG
Enjoying a reward.
IMG_0302.JPG
Getting the bike in the Christmas mood.
IMG_0305.JPG
Watching out for dangerous golfers
IMG_2312.JPG
And the map.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
It did seem like a long time since my last ride, and it was. The rest of life intrudes now and again . . .

Fairly early out of the door rather than my usual slow amble through a morning, and today I decided to ride the fixed. I even had a route in mind, which was modified by the weather and also me being a wimp. Holbeck again, and there is such a lot to do there before it can be called an urban village. Most of it is desolate and derelict when you look, but we will leave that alone. Cross the beck to reach Office Lock and ride in the direction of Liverpool but only as far as Viaduct Road. Cross the river and climb Cardigan Road, which was easier than I thought it would be without gears. Headingley to the Ring Road and the drizzle was becoming more like rain, but it is warm according to the garmin, a whole 8.9 degrees. Approximately. Keep on the A 660 passing by the side of Adel and Golden Acre Park, just the straight line ride to Otley really.

Through Bramhope and up that rise after the church and glimpses of the Wharfe valley begin to appear. The valley is being rained upon, which is not an unusual occurrence and I thought little of it until the left hand bend by the old bar house. The wind and the rain it was driving into my face hurt quite a bit, and it is quite a way down the hill into Otley. No, turn around and sort another route out. Back past the bend the rain stopped and the wind was breezelike again. This I will cope with happily. Back through Bramhope and turn left at the roundabout. More up to Arthington Road and turn right to ride along the other side of Golden Acre Park.

A left turn onto King Lane and then another onto, hmm, is it Alwoodley Lane? Anyway, that way to Harrogate Road and turn right, following this towards town until Street Lane is reached. Roundhay Park next and the Oakwood Clock to follow. Roundhay Road, and the rest of the way into Leeds centre is very quiet, it had not occurred to me that today is Sunday. Back over the river and the usual zigging and zagging to return home just as the sun appeared and raised a rueful smile on my face. Twenty five miles, a bit less than intended, but pretty good for a December day.

A map, what else fits at the end of a ride report?

02122018.jpg

Just a commute home to report from yesterday.

Nice tail wind and mild weather made for a pleasant pootle home and a stress free one with no close passes.

Probably helped being lit up (almost) like a Christmas tree;

New Rapha gilet;

IMG_2992.jpg

With flash;

IMG_2991.jpg

No flash;

IMG_2990.jpg

Added rear helmet light not shown

Did find a nice slit with debris in today after doing the weekly inspection which had sealed; let air out ,removed debris and filled cut with flexi super glue and topped up the sealant and all ok again.

Second 'puncture' in a week probably caused by the crap covered cycle path between Cottenham and Histon and Impington;still didn't have to stop on either ride so could have been worse.Rear tyre is getting pretty worn and cut-up now but will hopefully last the winter,front looks good for a fair while yet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1994926218

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Yesterdays ride . With the first of the month falling on a Saturday plans had been made with @Supersuperleeds and @Lilliburlero to get the imperial century challenge completed weather forecast was awful :rain:and I had been struggling all week commuting going to be a tough one . Out the door at 06.30 which gave me an hour to get to the meeting point at Market Bosworth .Wasn't raining at the start within a mile it started to drizzle . A gentle spin to the meeting at 13.8mph found @Supersuperleeds waiting soon @Lilliburlero rolled in and we're off into a steady drizzle .From Bosworth it's out on familiar lanes to Harlaston then Elford a dead end village for a velo veiwer square .Past Catton hall and over the Trent at Walton onto Barton under Needwood a quick detour up a bridle path for another velo viewer square past Fradley Junction and on to a new cafe at Curborogh which was very nice and a chance to get out of some wet clothes . We'd had a couple of heavier downpours but mainly constant drizzle but we were wet . Refuelled on bacon and coffee were back out and it's a bit clearer but now we're cold a few miles to warm up to Yoxall and back to Barton under Needwood and on to Burton . At this point @Lilliburlero turned for home with enough miles in despite a Strava hiccup due to a mobile phone playing up .A quick blast down the A38 cyclepath on to familiar road past Willington back over the Trent at Swarkstone and onto the cafe at Breedon on the hill were @tallliman had driven out to meet us . A relaxed stop catching up . @Supersuperleeds had already past the ton I'm on 97 miles . Decision time direct route home or follow the plan and go for 200km. Decide on the 200km which would mean lights required at the end . On to Normanton on soar and the 1 big climb . Struggled up that and really feeling it now thankfully @Supersuperleeds is willing to drag me along . A quick detour in Barrow due to Xmas market on to Cossington were we parted company lights on and a slightly extended route home and job done 124.5 miles done so challenge completed .The ride was made so much easier with great company keeping each other going the weather was better than forecast and after the first cafe stop mainly dry . I managed to still average 15.2 mph which I was surprised at as I expected to really struggle but I was fine until about 90 miles were it got a bit lumpy and ever up I struggled . Roll on next year challenge

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride another day another challenge half century this time . Out the door at 0900 legs feeling quite good despite yesterdays ride . Had rain jacket on to start as it was just spitting with rain ,Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley and Cossington were I had to stop to take the rain jacket off as I was sweltering . Sileby ,Seagrave up the climb if Berrycott lane legs felt that . Onto Wymeswold ,Hoton ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley and home 32.5 miles another challenge done managed to get 50km in just under 2hrs which considering yesterdays effort was a pleasant surprise . Weather was lovely for December . Spent the afternoon washing the bike it was filthy .Now feet up planning next week attempt at the metric century ride then I can relax

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
With only 2 possible days available this month to get the 12th and final imperial century challenge ride in, and the Met Office suggesting nothing too bad today, I duly forced myself out of bed at 0520hrs this morning. The Van Nic was suitably prepared last night, and given the mild weather it was shorts and arm/knee warmers with the windproof gilet (wet weather coat tucked in the back just in case...). So much for no rain, I headed out at 0559hrs into that horrible fine rain, enough to get damp, not enough for wet gear:rolleyes: A quick lap around Egham and Staines to find out that it was indeed very windy before heading up to Windsor Great Park, arriving whilst still dark, but the gate was open so I ignored the 'No Cyclists or pedestrians between dusk and dawn' sign and had a very nice, though blustery, ride through a very empty park. Out the other side and off through Winkfield, Shurlock Row and Hurst along familiar and nice roads, tacking to avoid going directly into the wind. A new lane for me just to the West of Hurst, and warnings of a ford in 900 yards, which I thought I'd gone past, until I found the real one. Oh dear, it was fast flowing and 2.5ft deep with no bridge next to it, so backtracked following the diversion signs and eventually got to the other side. Looking back to where I'd come from, the ford across Old River
2 Dec 2018 Old River Ford.jpg

Quick bit of fruit malt loaf, then onwards through Woodley, Sonning, Emmer Green and Caversham, before heading South through Reading. Far too much residential riding but it does gather the squares. After more housing estates around Whitley and Lower Early it was off towards familiar roads, and the Lockey Farm coffee shop at Aborfield. Serious let down today, only 1 cake, too many screaming kids to sit inside with, so a cup of coffee and rather dry coffee and walnut cake outside. With 61 miles done I was feeling cold, so got a shufty on through Sindlesham before Northwards to Drift Road. Rather thought I'd have a tailwind along this one today but instead a cross wind, no fun really. Found myself at the Dukes Lane gate of WGP with 80 miles done and feeling really quite sick, I reckon I over did the pace a bit. Emergency Snickers and a couple of park loops before home.
101.1 miles at 15.3mph, the fastest I've done it by quite a margin. Couple of hours kip on the sofa and feeling more human again.

That's one challenge done for 2018, maybe roll on 2019 for this one???

Edit:- I forgot. Nabbed 25 new squares. And the Garmin stopped recording any for of height gain after about 600m, very annoying.

Last edited:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Sometimes training gets on the way of taking pictures

Today was not the case.

We headed out early (8:30) as usual there is this guy that is always late, do you have one of this guys in your group? told him next time I will leave his arse behind. Anyhow.. We decided to head to place that we had not been to in a little while, Carratraca.

This is a route that has a little of everything… We start going slightly down the hill from Coin with a few bumps along the way.. 13 km at an average of like 40 km/h if the group works well and or are able to hold someones wheel.

After this is a 25 km or so of flat terrain where we decided to hold a reasonable slower then usual pace because one of the guys was constantly dropping of the back.

Finally we got to the town of Alora, here is where the first climb of the day starts, I was off the back to see if that motivated the slower guys and not to go over what the coach told me to do (virtual couch program) Didn’t work and I caught up with him before the top..

Finally we got to Carratraca’s back road and our main climb for the day… Pictures time..! History time..!

Half way up the climb it got warm/hot and was time to pee and take the wind breaker off… Nice spot to do it as well.

47228518_1906252246136853_4428979836232400896_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

You can see this tiny roads everywhere here in Andalusia, they all were built during the time of Franco…

47376657_1906252279470183_6771997548329566208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

The quality of this road is totally messed up, but is totally worth it! In 12 km we saw 3 cars.

47196425_1906252382803506_6499344919776198656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

I think this is one of the few parts that hits double digits gradient

47429168_1906252489470162_9038374360758353920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

Climbing a steady road and having the sun on your back must be one of the best feelings during Winter mornings

47572341_1906252532803491_2917096282264698880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

This was the last pic of the day since after that we hit a loong messy downhill.. Can you see the windmill up at the top? And if you squint a bit you can see the cyclists over the bridge…

47577900_1906252649470146_227600096655572992_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

So we started the downhill and there is no pictures from me at that speed we were going (70 at some point) was a nice climb before we got home and a few short ones as well, the route looked like this in strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1996243113 there is also a few more pictures there to look at.

Big week here with 315 km.. I am going to have a beer and go to sleep
1f609.png

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With other stuff to do yesterday, today was the first chance I had to get in a half century this month and complete the challenge for this year. I wanted to get the ride in as you never know how the weather will go this time of year.

I was heartened by a forecast promising a dry spell from 10 until 4pm (this would prove to be lies...:laugh:) and the sight of patches of blue sky and even a glimpse of the sun when I was having my breakfast. It had greyed over a bit by the time I got out and within a mile the first spits and spots of rain had started.

Still, turning for home wouldn't do so on I pushed, Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and the A58, then Whin Moor Lane through the countryside all the way to Shadwell, then the dip through the village and climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where a right saw me onto Wike Ridge Lane and then Tarn Lane for the wind assisted whizz across the ridge to Scarcroft. Down Ling Lane and the rain started to pick up a bit and by the time I started descending the A58 into the village it was persistently pouring down. In fact it got so bad I had to stop and put my waterproof jacket on. :rain:

Anyhow, I pushed on, through Bardsey and into Collingham, noticing how all the drivers had been playing nicely earlier when I'd had my mainly black cycling jersey on, but now I'd put my dayglo orange jacket on I was getting a few close passes...:dry:
Over the river into Linton for the expected lumpiness but on reaching the former church, the road was closed with a diversion on Northgate Lane, which climbs all the way up to Sicklinghall Road before descending into Wetherby and hitting a pothole and very nearly getting unseated, before temporary traffic lights (at red) and eventually into the town.
A wend through the streets saw me into the Wilderness down by the very full river, where I stopped for an energy bar under the shelter of the trees.
IMG_20181202_104654116_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181202_104719735_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and up the climb back into town, before taking a right onto the Walton Road out across the A1(M) and back into the countryside past the racecourse. Right again for the lane down to Thorp Arch, with a loop along Dowkell Lane for a little extra mileage, then down onto the singeltrack bridge over the river, where I was nearly half way across and in primary when a driver heading in the opposite direction decided that they didn't have to give way and just drove straight on, meaning I had to go onto the hatched area to avoid a collision. I don't think they're in any doubt whatsoever what my thoughts on the subject were though. :cursing:
Up the climb into Boston Spa and after a bit of Main Street another right towards Clifford, dicing with another motorised idiot who didn't understand about giving way to established traffic, and on into the village where a climb up to and along Main Street leads to the long drop into Bramham.
The only way out of Bramham is up and the surface on Wetherby Road is shocking - it was 'surface dressed' during the summer and is still covered in loose chippings.
Anyway, the sun had finally put in an appearance and I was starting to get a bit warm, so I stopped just before the A1(M) bridge to take my jacket off.
Onwards on Thorner Road alongside Bramham Park, enetually taking the right fork onto Thorner Lane and through the little Wothersome Dip, before the steady incline to Jewitt Lane where another right saw me head north between the fields, steadily climbing before the drop and tight left onto Compton Lane to the fringes of Rigton Green, where I doubled back on Bramham Road for more miles on this deserted road.
The lanes here were absolutely filthy though, mainly mud dragged out of fields, but the local farmer appears to have some sort of unofficial exemption from the Highways dept.
Anyhow, up the hill back onto Holme Farm Lane, where the heavens opened again and it was back on with the jacket.
Milner Lane took me into Thorner, the out again on Carr Lane for the steady climb in what were now becoming grim conditions - the cyclists favourite trio of cold, wet and windy. The drop through the S-bends was much steadier than usual and as the incline started again it was just a matter of grinding out the few miles.
Onto the A58, then the stiff little climb up Coal Road. Along there and down onto local roads to home, with a final loop around the block to push the mileage up.

32.09 miles (51.64km) in 2h 34m at an average of 12.4mph with 1,591ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.0°C

More importantly though, that completes the Half Century Challenge for another year, making it 3 on the bounce :okay: and I'm now less than a hundred miles from my 2018 mileage target of 2,500 miles so should hopefully be able to achieve that if the weather is kind.

The weather really meant that today was just a matter of getting the ride done - it was easily the least pleasant half century I've done and if it wasn't for the challenge I'd have almost certainly bailed out earlier.

And to end, the map:
02122018.JPG

pjd57

Veteran
Only a short but enjoyable trip across Glasgow to Hampden.
Scottish League cup final today.
7:5 miles there with a hint of drizzle but thankfully arrived dry.

Home run was a bit different. Crowd and coaches to deal with for the first mile or two , with heavy cold sleet and rain thrown in.
Home safely and happy, my team won.
Just 15 miles, but quite a few challenges.

C R

Guru
Things conspired over the last few days, and hadn't been out on the bike for ten days or so, which was making my legs itchy.

Finally today I managed to go out and got a decent ride in. I had two possible routes in mind, Droitwich and back via Pinvin, or Witley. Both meant going through town, so I thought I would decide once I was on the way.

Out at quarter to seven, still dark, but a hint of daylight towards the east. Down Bath Road towards town. When I reached the traffic lights, the turn for City Walls road was red, but straight for the cathedral wad green, so that made the decision for me. Rode on past the cathedral, over the bridge, past the cricket ground and around the park towards Hallow.

The last time I came this way there was thick fog, and the visibility was poor. Today though, visibility was great, and with very little traffic it was a very pleasant ride through town.

Once past the park I headed for Hallow on the main road, along the river, past the university, and climbing gradually as the road moves away from the river.

Hallow was next, and then a left for Sinton Green and Ockeridge. After Sinton Green I was getting some trouble from the headwind, which made the climb to Ockeridge harder than usual. Once I got to the top of the climb there was enough daylight to catch this view of the Malverns

IMG_20181202_072901918.jpg

Then it was a right for Little Witley, which came quickly, and then a left at the main road heading towards Great Witley, but with a detour past Witley Court. The back road is quite slippery and pot holed, so it was a slow ride to the Court, but the views made it worth it.
IMG_20181202_074941318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181202_075454622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181202_075512542_HDR.jpg

After a drink I carried on towards Great Witley. This bit of the road is even worse, with big puddles, and at some point two enormous puddles taking the whole width of the road. I thought I would be able to cycle through, but my wheels got stuck in the mud, as the puddles were at least 15 cm deep. I managed to put my foot down in time, and thanks to the overshoes I didn't get particularly wet, but had to walk the bike along the verge.

I finally reached the main road, and it was a left for Great Witley, and a left opposite the school for Martley, going up Woodbury Hill. By now the sun was coming out from behind the trees, and the views towards Witley Court was beautiful.
IMG_20181202_080756258_HDR.jpg

The headwind made the climb quite hard, and the descent on the other side was also hard work. I can normally freewheel at 25 mph down the hill, but today I had to work against the wind to keep the speed.

I turned left again towards Ockeridge, and then a right for Wichenford. There is a bit of up and down this way, and the wind wasn't helping. At Wichenford took a right to head towards Elgar's birthplace and Crown East, still fighting the wind.

I was hoping to take some photos of Elgar's birthplace, but it was still closed, and the hedges are too tall, so I just had a drink and a cereal bar before setting off for the last stretch of the ride.

I checked the route and noticed that I was going to be short of the 50 km if I headed straight for home, so turned for Bransford at the A44 roundabout. Here again I had to fight the wind down the hill, so decided to turn for Powick by the pub, instead of going up to Station Lane. Then King's End Road, down to the A449, and up the Carrington bridge for home.

33.5 miles at 12.7 mph. Lovely ride, but could have done without the wind.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A late afternoon ride for me, nothing special, just a variation of one of my usual routes around Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Westerfield, Rushmere, Bucklesham & Falkenham to get in the 50km ride for the month in as early as possible. Yet more grey skies and spots of drizzle being blown on a fairly stiff breeze, but at least the roads were (mostly) dry.
This from Falkenham...
Falkenham.jpg
Screenshot_2018-12-02 December's 50km Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2018-12-02 December's 50km Ride Strava(1).png

8mph

Veteran
I wanted to cover 25 miles in 2.15hrs or under. I know that I can do that on a light bike with light tyres but my plan is to ride my heavy old tourer throughout the winter and increase speed and stamina if I can make enough gains I may treat myself to something lighter once the weather improves.
I was pleased to see that I'd covered 28.6 miles in 1hr 55 - 415m elevation in the rain.
I've got a 160-mile ride planned soon and I'm pretty fed up with pushing 4 panniers into a headwind in order to get there. My plan is to go faster, longer, lighter.
I don't know how to share the Strava map, basically, I went from Wroughton to Avebury to Marlborough to Wroughton.

Top Bottom