Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out again today, taking advantage of a gap in the weather. I decided to do one of my lesser used routes: Lyth Hill, Little Lyth, Exford's Green, Plealey, Pontesbury, Habberley, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Leebotwood, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back the short way.

It's breezier out today with a chilly wind but there was more sunshine which was good. The A49 was busy so I had a bit of a wait to get on it and a longer wait to get off (a right turn off the road so I thought it prudent to pull in to the left until there was a gap.)

I was going against the wind all the way to Pontesbury so wasn't quick. A bit of traffic about and some discourteous driving - a little red car gave me all of 6 inches clearance even though the road was completely clear and they could have used as much room as they liked.:headshake: In Pontesbury I managed to get my roads mixed up and ended up doing a tour round the village. Ah well, it should stick in the mind properly for next time.

After Pontesbury the scenery changes a bit and it feels very remote. I found the lanes a little busier than expected on the way to Pulverbatch. The dampness under wheel was pretty much as expected though (big puddles and water running across in many places) so the bike is due another wash.

I caught a tractor on the downill section after Smethcott then had to cross the A49 again at Leebotwood before heading northwards for home. The two fords on the old roman road are quite full and the unofficial third one seems to be becoming a permanent fixture.

I met a few other cyclists around the Longnor area (always good to see) then found that the wind I'd hoped would be helping me home wasnt! It wasn't too bad as far as Ryton but after that slowed me down a fair bit and on the run from Condover up to the A49 I was only able to do 11 or 12 mph where 18 to 20 had been an easy cruise yesterday.

26.6 miles at 11.9 mph average this time. Edit to add: I've realised that this ride takes me over 6,000 miles for the year to date. Another ride of similar length will take me beyond my highest ever annual mileage.:hyper:

PC070191.JPG

At the crossroads near Annscroft. The flag gives a good idea of the wind today.

PC070193.JPG

At Pontesbury.

PC070194.JPG

The Mytton Inn at Habberley. For those who aren't familiar with the area; "Mad" Jack Mytton was a famous local character who was a notorious gambler, drunkard and (briefly) MP for Shrewsbury and his bizzarre exploits are the stuff of legend. Quite a few pubs share his name.

PC070195.JPG

Pontesford Hill looks almost alpine from this angle.

PC070199.JPG

Overlooking Lawn Farm on the way to Pulverbatch.

PC070200.JPG

Pulverbatch

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
An early downpour put Pete M off but my radar said it would be good in 15 mins. And it was. Blue skies and sunshine. I climbed straight out of the box to the top of the Wyche Cutting to arrive in Colwall just as Pete rolled up. Pete fancied a Trumpet visit so I dodged us back and forth to add a few miles before we arrived at The Nest. Some pals of Pete's were there so a catch up ensued. Eventually refreshments could be had.

We took the Falcon Lane run to Leddington and on around the southern end of the Hills for a Castlemorton route for home. We had to stop and shelter from a severe hailstorm for a short while as it blew through. We'd hidden behind a parked van and when the driver appeared he was amused at our choice. "You can't move till the shower is over" was my plea. But it had stopped so we thanked him and rode on. Pete headed for the crossing of the Hills while I decided to add a few extra miles by Pixham Ferry. Good outing despite the hail. 51 smiles

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Time to winterise my static caravan which includes bringing my winter bike home for the, er, winter.

As it was already in the boot of the car, I decided to go for a short tootle around York.

The idea was to park near the Minster and ride to the Cycle Heaven bike shop and cafe for lunch, and a gawp at all the shiny new bikes they have in there.

Seems to me York is permanently strangled with motor traffic which may explain the two volleys of motorist/cyclist abuse I received on the way to the shop.

Partly my fault, I hacked through the busy Shambles central area, rather than use the riverside path, which I did on the way back.

My grasp of York geography is less than firm, but I didn't go badly wrong in either direction.

Plenty of water in the Ouse as this pic shows - much more than a shower down here and the bank floods.

IMG_0041.JPG

One cannot go to York without taking a pic in front of the Minster, but this one is a sad sign of the times.

Since my last visit, a row of large concrete blocks has been plonked outside - presumably as a deterrent to motor vehicle terrorism.

IMG_0042.JPG

The ride must have been all of three (dead flat) miles, but I rather enjoy carving through a busy city on a bike.

galaxy

Veteran
An early downpour put Pete M off but my radar said it would be good in 15 mins. And it was. Blue skies and sunshine. I climbed straight out of the box to the top of the Wyche Cutting to arrive in Colwall just as Pete rolled up. Pete fancied a Trumpet visit so I dodged us back and forth to add a few miles before we arrived at The Nest. Some pals of Pete's were there so a catch up ensued. Eventually refreshments could be had.

We took the Falcon Lane run to Leddington and on around the southern end of the Hills for a Castlemorton route for home. We had to stop and shelter from a severe hailstorm for a short while as it blew through. We'd hidden behind a parked van and when the driver appeared he was amused at our choice. "You can't move till the shower is over" was my plea. But it had stopped so we thanked him and rode on. Pete headed for the crossing of the Hills while I decided to add a few extra miles by Pixham Ferry. Good outing despite the hail. 51 smiles
Always end up having a Scotch Egg at the Nest. Yummy

galaxy

Veteran
Out again today, taking advantage of a gap in the weather. I decided to do one of my lesser used routes: Lyth Hill, Little Lyth, Exford's Green, Plealey, Pontesbury, Habberley, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Leebotwood, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back the short way.

It's breezier out today with a chilly wind but there was more sunshine which was good. The A49 was busy so I had a bit of a wait to get on it and a longer wait to get off (a right turn off the road so I thought it prudent to pull in to the left until there was a gap.)

I was going against the wind all the way to Pontesbury so wasn't quick. A bit of traffic about and some discourteous driving - a little red car gave me all of 6 inches clearance even though the road was completely clear and they could have used as much room as they liked.:headshake: In Pontesbury I managed to get my roads mixed up and ended up doing a tour round the village. Ah well, it should stick in the mind properly for next time.

After Pontesbury the scenery changes a bit and it feels very remote. I found the lanes a little busier than expected on the way to Pulverbatch. The dampness under wheel was pretty much as expected though (big puddles and water running across in many places) so the bike is due another wash.

I caught a tractor on the downill section after Smethcott then had to cross the A49 again at Leebotwood before heading northwards for home. The two fords on the old roman road are quite full and the unofficial third one seems to be becoming a permanent fixture.

I met a few other cyclists around the Longnor area (always good to see) then found that the wind I'd hoped would be helping me home wasnt! It wasn't too bad as far as Ryton but after that slowed me down a fair bit and on the run from Condover up to the A49 I was only able to do 11 or 12 mph where 18 to 20 had been an easy cruise yesterday.

26.6 miles at 11.9 mph average this time. Edit to add: I've realised that this ride takes me over 6,000 miles for the year to date. Another ride of similar length will take me beyond my highest ever annual mileage.:hyper:

View attachment 441736
At the crossroads near Annscroft. The flag gives a good idea of the wind today.

View attachment 441737
At Pontesbury.

View attachment 441738
The Mytton Inn at Habberley. For those who aren't familiar with the area; "Mad" Jack Mytton was a famous local character who was a notorious gambler, drunkard and (briefly) MP for Shrewsbury and his bizzarre exploits are the stuff of legend. Quite a few pubs share his name.

View attachment 441739
Pontesford Hill looks almost alpine from this angle.

View attachment 441740
Overlooking Lawn Farm on the way to Pulverbatch.

View attachment 441741
Pulverbatch
The A49 runs along the end of our lane. Must say Cycling on on the odd occasion I do I hate it.

C R

Guru
My birthday today. Plan was a nice walk n cycle. By the time we got home it was raining and dark. So the thought of going out for dinner was more a pull. Always tomorrow I suppose.
Happy birthday. It is looking like this morning is going to be reasonable weather, so wishing you a good ride.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My birthday today. Plan was a nice walk n cycle. By the time we got home it was raining and dark. So the thought of going out for dinner was more a pull. Always tomorrow I suppose.
Happy Birthday!:cheers:

Katherine

Guru
I plotted a route of 42 miles, taped my phone to my stem and set off in quite mild weather. About two miles in, a bump in the road put paid to my makeshift phone mount at which point it ended up in my pocket. I'm absolutely dreadful at navigation and what with having to stop and remove gloves every time I wanted to check my location I soon ended up off-piste and in the back lanes of Wiltshire. I endeavoured not to cut any corners to shorten the route and backtracked several times. Got home and the brand new bike computer (£6) says I've done 46.6 miles. The ride has taken 4hrs 20 but I must have stopped about 30 times to get the phone out. Average speed says 13.6 which is what I wanted to see, roughly 40 miles in 3 hours if I know where I'm going. I'm going to keep on trying to improve my navigation skills, the ride itself was dark and rainy but quite a fun mix of roads, lanes and city streets.

Can you set your navigation app to voice cues?
The battery lasts so much longer when you don't have the screen on.
I started by using google maps set to voice cues with the volume set to its loudest. I would put the phone in my bar bag or in the winter, my winter jacket has a pocket. Then I moved on to Ride With GPS also set to voive cues. More recently as I was struggling to hear it when in busy traffic, when people were talking or windnoise, I have started using a wireless earpiece via bluetooth, which is even better.

8mph

Veteran
Can you set your navigation app to voice cues?
The battery lasts so much longer when you don't have the screen on.
I started by using google maps set to voice cues with the volume set to its loudest. I would put the phone in my bar bag or in the winter, my winter jacket has a pocket. Then I moved on to Ride With GPS also set to voive cues. More recently as I was struggling to hear it when in busy traffic, when people were talking or windnoise, I have started using a wireless earpiece via bluetooth, which is even better.
Thanks for the suggestion Katherine, I have a Blackberry which basically sucks but today a battered old Garmin etrex Vista c arrived and I've just managed to upload a 167 km Strava route from my computer. The handlebar mount arrived yesterday and it looks good to go!
I don't think its possible to use offline Google maps with the Blackberry, Maps.me will give cues but only on routes that it has plotted etc, etc I shall have to join the human race and get an iPhone one day!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a bog standard Gransdens loop today. Mrs Dave chickened out of a tandem ride due to the wind, so I went on my Cube.

The outbound leg was certainly windy, I was being buffeted about aplenty. There were the usual kestrels, fieldfare and redwing suffering the same fate.
There were half a dozen other eejits out there battling along.

This is the dead tree just by the maggot farm, always photogenic

A7940480-12C2-4DA3-B31C-1A8E94443EE7.jpeg

The wind had made the smell go away today, that was nice.

Wind assisted on the way back until I came back into the village where I had to wait an age for 3 way temporary lights.

Just over 20 miles in the sun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2006137330

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Thanks for the suggestion Katherine, I have a Blackberry which basically sucks but today a battered old Garmin etrex Vista c arrived and I've just managed to upload a 167 km Strava route from my computer. The handlebar mount arrived yesterday and it looks good to go!
I don't think its possible to use offline Google maps with the Blackberry, Maps.me will give cues but only on routes that it has plotted etc, etc I shall have to join the human race and get an iPhone one day!

You only need a basic smart phone on android.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rich B was waiting for Mrs 26 and me. We rode over to Upton where John G, Rob A and Margaret PR were already chatting. Rich headed home from Tunnel Hill while we rode via the school to the cafe at the Mythe. Margaret and I were chatting we didn't notice that the others weren't with us. So we retraced to find John with a flat. Sorted we could all pedal to the cafe.

John headed back up the main road while we 4 went by the White Rabbit and back to Upton. With Margaret at home Brotheridge Green was the favoured route. All good today apart from John's flat. The forecast heavy showers just didn't make an appearance at all. 35 smiles

Top Bottom