Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
2 rides for me today.
The first one was a 25 mile loop with the boy wonder
image.jpg

The ride took in the delights of Barrington hill and Old Wimpole hill, the latter of which he flew past me at the bottom..... I waited for the ideal moment near the top where I nailed him! Competitive dad, me?
The 10 miles to home from there were done at a speed between 20-25mph, every time I looked he was on my wheel. Once home he said"have I done something to offend you?".... Every time I looked he was there, so I kept the speed up!
On that ride we passed Longstanton Wheelers and Ely CC.

We stopped in at home and picked up the old queen, she didn't want to ride but her bike had been feeling neglected since...... January!
So off we went to the Gransdens into a chunky old headwind, she came whizzing by me every now and then

image.jpg

The return was a bit wind assisted, so once Thomas had caught up from his wee stop I told her we were going to give it some welly. Coming into Longstowe we were up to 25mph and holding it, she said she could have given more. She's too polite to come past me sometimes!
Our top speed for the ride was just over 30mph coming through Bourn, she loved that! The drag from Toft up to Hardwick normally kills her but today she gave it some hammer. She's been coming to circuit training for a couple of months now and says she has more stamina. A 20 mile loop.

I think I'd best keep an eye on these two..... They'll have me soon!

D

Deleted member 1258

Middleton Hall the destination, 54 miles the journey, I was originally going to be on the Forum Ride the Richard The Third 100 mile fixed ride, due to an illness in the family I had to pull out of that, I talked to my Good Lady and she was happy for me to be out for a local ride this morning. I picked Middleton Hall as I could work out a route that meant I could get some miles in whilst not being to far from Coventry for a lot of the ride, gave me the option of taking the short route home if needed, I also picked the fixed for the ride. Rode across Coventry and up Broad Lane then turned up Hockley Road and onto Meriden Did the long descent past the Pub into the village, a fast spinning 30mph, 150rpm, descent on the fixed that seemed to go on for ever. The other side of Meriden I turned on through Maxstoke, Shustoke and Whitacre Heath and onto Middleton Hall, checked everything was OK at home, had something to eat then left and headed back to Meriden following the same route as I did on the way out, in Meriden I turned right on the roundabout and picked up the path past the Golf Club crossed the dual carriageway and onto Hampton In Arden then turned toward Eastcote and Barston and onto Temple Balsall where I turned of the main road and took the lane through to Balsall Common and into Coventry past Nailcote Hall and through Tile Hill across the city and home. A cool grey day with a strong wind, fun flying before it on the way out but hard and slow into it on the way home.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Not the best start to the day for me as after getting up at 5:45am to drive to Dorset for the Jurassic sportive I come downstairs to find both of my cats staring at the bookcase which can only mean one thing.........they've brought a blooming mouse in & its escaped! With just an hour before I'm due to leave its operation mouse hunt otherwise I'll get back home to complete chaos, so with the cats dispatched & humane trap set I finally chased him into the trap & released him back to wild to fight another day & got on with cooking the porridge!

Leaving home at 6:50am, it was a 45 minute drive to the start at Bovington tank museum which as it happens in very special place for me as my late father drove tanks during WWII & as a child I had many a happy day out there & leaving to come home after was, I admit, a little emotional.

8:30 & I was under way on a grey but reasonably mild morning & some nice quiet roads, although it appears Dorset council must have got a cheap job lot of top dressing as a number of roads had just been done & anything off of the car tyre tracks was decidedly dangerous with piles of loose stones.

The route itself was, as always, extremely well organised & marshaled & started with a nice reasonably flat first 10 miles heading north before turning south towards the Jurassic coast & a couple of sharp little climbs on the way to West Lulworth. Whiteways hill on an army firing range was next & it was here that the sea mist on the top was the first sign that the weather was about to change & sure enough as we headed along the coast through Corfe Castle a fine drizzle was making visibility a little tricky. By the time we'd reached the seaside town of Swanage the drizzle stopped for a while although it was only a brief rest bite as once we looped back to Corfe again it started & continued most of the way back via Wool to Bovington.

63.5 soggy but enjoyable miles & the only real downer was that my home made ricecake from the freezer had mold on it so I had to survive on energy bars & jelly babies which took its toll on my stomach!

https://www.strava.com/activities/301739437

001.JPG

Corfe Castle......well part of it!

003.JPG

Swanage beach & the Jurassic coastline.

004.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

Just some of the exhibits at Bovington.

Today's ride should be my last ride for a while...

So I was disappointed to wake to rain but the forecast was that it would clear and the rain radar showed the same, so plans were laid (aka I informed my OH we would be leaving before 9am) and we were out of the door for 8:40am to overcast but warmish weather - that kind of muggy for climbing, cold for descending and you are not convinced about the rain status kind of weather.

So off out on the usual route and into the usual routine. My OH does hill repeats whilst I plod slowly uphill. Well, spin slowly uphill and sit on my trike wondering what is going on and if I should get a book out to read...

IMG_3339.JPG

Watching the world go by...

IMG_3347.JPG

And watching my OH do hill repeats...

Not much happened for most of the route. We were out before the clubs hit the area so it was only lone cyclists or friends in packs that we were to meet and at one junction at the top of a climb, we had a chat with one such pack of friends. One of them with a bad back and considering purchasing a recumbent, so he was quite interested in my trike. I gave him a card for ICE and mentioned Kevin and D-Tek and we were on our way. At the top of the climb, we could see how murky a day it was and whilst discussing this found ourselves being asked if everything was OK by another cyclist! I hadn't thought I looked that bad... By now, though the clouds had really closed in and it was overcast and dull again and was to stay that way for the rest of the ride....

For those wondering how I manage to get 1,000 foot of climbing in 20 miles and live on the Cheshire Plains, this is a profile of my route.

Untitled.jpg

This ride manages to go from 32ft above sea level to just under 500 feet above it, so not too bad for the Cheshire Plains really... :biggrin:

During the route I was able to point out to my OH numerous Horse Chestnut trees now in full flower, along with Wisteria, clematis, lilacs and various others. No wonder our hay fever is starting up!
Right at the very end the our journey, we were both to get the closest scare for a long time. A 4x4 had been holding back down the hill, not overtaking up and staying well back giving up plenty of space. I know we both frequently get over +35 mph without trying down that hill and there are a couple of nasty potholes which need avoiding. There is a long sweeping right hand bend before a nasty uphill and just as the uphill starts we turn off right. It is a case of needing the brakes, changing gear and having to indicate right all at the same time. So we take it in turn to indicate right and I know we both hand indicated right at least twice. I had both hands back on my handlebars just as I was about to turn right, one covering the brake in case there was something in the lane - it is a blind entrance into a single track lane... and just as I started to turn, I became aware that the 4x4 had taken this very opportunity to overtake us! I know I yelled something at my husband. He never heard it, but he did stop his right turn because he heard the engine increase in revs... I think it is the only time he has not complained at me for him nearly running into the back of me when I have suddenly stopped. We were both just too stunned at what had just happened. If we both hadn't have made the decision at the last minute to abort because instinct told us something was wrong...All my OH could say was "and he was doing so well up until that point". Not a great ending to the ride, but a very lucky one. https://www.strava.com/activities/301609384 20.5 miles in what was a little over 8mph this time around. I don't seem to be getting any faster :sad: but we are both safe :smile:

Last edited:

Diggs

Veteran
Encouraged by Mrs D as I was moping around with a bit of a hangover from a night out watching The Lambrettas at the 100 Club yesterday.
Sunday lunch was held off for an hour so I could squeeze a quick 15 miles in. Glad I did as it was lovely and certainly blew a few cobwebs away.
Shorts, short sleeve jersey, no overshoes, I could get used to this!^_^

PTDC0006 (2).JPG PTDC0011 (2).JPG PTDC0016.JPG PTDC0023.JPG

... and just as I started to turn, I became aware that the 4x4 had taken this very opportunity to overtake us! I

When I was taught to ride a motorbike, by police instructors, many years ago, it was drilled into me to look over the right shoulder just before actually turning right. It's called the "Lifesaver" now - for obvious reasons.

I now longer ride a motorbike, but I always look over the shoulder both on the bike and driving a car. It's frightening how often it saves a conflict.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Gt-Yarm-Home%20Route%201.jpg
2 rides today. Technically.
First ride from Home to Norwich Rail Station, where I stood behind a couple of hooray Henry's (one was a Henrietta) who had to have assistance, after 5 minutes, to buy 2 train tickets. Dear Lord. I am glad that I don't have a Oxbridge education, if they can't use a train ticket machine. Finally they got their ticket. It took me 30 seconds to get mine and we scampered for platform 5 and our train.

30 minutes later we left Gt Yarmouth rail station and got on the A149 and got the hell out of town. Gt Yarmouth is a hole. I'm a local and can say this. Full of bloody grockles who can't drive and dither about at roundabouts, even though the signage is in deliberately big letters for them.
We headed up the Caister bypass (scary stuff so got a wiggle on) and then headed off to Filby.
DSCF7539.jpg

I think that my PX looks rather nice there. I KNOW that the Selle Italia doesn't match the bars but it does match the pedals so there. Send the velominati round, I don't care. I will change the bar tape when I change the bars. I could do with 40cm bars on him really. The 42s are just a little wide for me now.
We rode off to Acle (pronounced Ay-cul NOT Ac-lee as the grockles call it)
From Acle we headed to South Walsham and then back tracked a little to Ranworth and had a coffee at the Maltesers, opposite the Broad. We did wander over and watch the grockles try to moor up. Always a giggle.
We retraced our steps to South Walsham and turned for Panxworth. Then we headed left up a road that I've fancied riding up to see where it goes. It goes to Pedham and Hemblington. Pretty, pretty villages with Wisteria everywhere. Much nicer route than the other way, with it's potholes that would swallow a Smart Car. Apart from the numpty to couldn't wait for 25 yards for the passing place before forcing his Audi Doodi past me, it was a pleasant route. Once we hit the Plumstead cycle paths again, we knew we were mostly home. Well, 8 miles from home.
At the Heartsease, I belted into the Tesco there, for some Alpro Almond milk (unsweetened) to shove in my post ride protein drink. We drank some Alpro there and then so we could flatten the carton a bit so it would fit in my jersey back pocket. Last 4 miles home were swift and uneventful, except for the bunch of Polish kids who took up the entire cycleway and wouldn't let anyone by. We went through the middle after asking nicely 3 times. No English apparently. They seemed to understand "Shift your bloody arses" though. Cramp in my toes makes me a bit snickery to be honest. Cramp easier to sort out clipped in.

First ride: 3.75 miles in 18 minutes. Every red light!
Second ride: 30.5 miles in 2:23:03 so a nice 12.8mph average in the sunshine.

I am only 90 miles adrift from my yearly target. I'll soon catch that up now. I'm well on my way for my May target. Only 72 miles to go and a whole lot of May ahead of me. Might add to that ^_^

Attachments

• Gt-Yarm-Home%20Route%201.jpg
    Gt-Yarm-Home%20Route%201.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF7539.jpg
    DSCF7539.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 47

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

So I was disappointed to wake to rain but the forecast was that it would clear and the rain radar showed the same, so plans were laid (aka I informed my OH we would be leaving before 9am) and we were out of the door for 8:40am to overcast but warmish weather - that kind of muggy for climbing, cold for descending and you are not convinced about the rain status kind of weather.

So off out on the usual route and into the usual routine. My OH does hill repeats whilst I plod slowly uphill. Well, spin slowly uphill and sit on my trike wondering what is going on and if I should get a book out to read...

View attachment 88499
Watching the world go by...

View attachment 88500
And watching my OH do hill repeats...

Not much happened for most of the route. We were out before the clubs hit the area so it was only lone cyclists or friends in packs that we were to meet and at one junction at the top of a climb, we had a chat with one such pack of friends. One of them with a bad back and considering purchasing a recumbent, so he was quite interested in my trike. I gave him a card for ICE and mentioned Kevin and D-Tek and we were on our way. At the top of the climb, we could see how murky a day it was and whilst discussing this found ourselves being asked if everything was OK by another cyclist! I hadn't thought I looked that bad... By now, though the clouds had really closed in and it was overcast and dull again and was to stay that way for the rest of the ride....

For those wondering how I manage to get 1,000 foot of climbing in 20 miles and live on the Cheshire Plains, this is a profile of my route.

View attachment 88501
This ride manages to go from 32ft above sea level to just under 500 feet above it, so not too bad for the Cheshire Plains really... :biggrin:

During the route I was able to point out to my OH numerous Horse Chestnut trees now in full flower, along with Wisteria, clematis, lilacs and various others. No wonder our hay fever is starting up!
Right at the very end the our journey, we were both to get the closest scare for a long time. A 4x4 had been holding back down the hill, not overtaking up and staying well back giving up plenty of space. I know we both frequently get over +35 mph without trying down that hill and there are a couple of nasty potholes which need avoiding. There is a long sweeping right hand bend before a nasty uphill and just as the uphill starts we turn off right. It is a case of needing the brakes, changing gear and having to indicate right all at the same time. So we take it in turn to indicate right and I know we both hand indicated right at least twice. I had both hands back on my handlebars just as I was about to turn right, one covering the brake in case there was something in the lane - it is a blind entrance into a single track lane... and just as I started to turn, I became aware that the 4x4 had taken this very opportunity to overtake us! I know I yelled something at my husband. He never heard it, but he did stop his right turn because he heard the engine increase in revs... I think it is the only time he has not complained at me for him nearly running into the back of me when I have suddenly stopped. We were both just too stunned at what had just happened. If we both hadn't have made the decision at the last minute to about because instinct told us something was wrong...All my OH could say was "and he was doing so well up until that point". Not a great ending to the ride, but a very lucky one. https://www.strava.com/activities/301609384 20.5 miles in what was a little over 8mph this time around. I don't seem to be getting any faster :sad: but we are both safe :smile:
The motons seem to be out in force this weekend :wacko:. Glad you realised in time and are both okay.:okay:

When I was taught to ride a motorbike, by police instructors, many years ago, it was drilled into me to look over the right shoulder just before actually turning right. It's called the "Lifesaver" now - for obvious reasons.

I now longer ride a motorbike, but I always look over the shoulder both on the bike and driving a car. It's frightening how often it saves a conflict.
yep - that was how I saw it... and stopped in time. I hold RoSPA advanced level driving and have done for 24 years now at the highest level. I still shoulder check even for other drivers when I am a passenger and have been known to say something...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday (and today!) - the 400km Llanfair PG audax. Or in my case 419km :

A summary:
  • Started late due to M62 being shut [note to self: check travel news before leaving next time]
  • Mechanical issues [2nd note to self: properly check the bike next time], given the bike build was only finished last Tuesday :wacko: - meaning a number of riders got repeated deja vu as I passed/re-passed/re-re-passed them
  • Wind in the face
  • Sand in the face
  • Sand in the bike from falling/being blown into sand
  • Too many 'hangers on' not contributing to the work, leaving me doing 200k on the front / solo as I wasn't going to give someone a free tow for 200k
  • GPS worked going out, not back
  • The A55 at speed is fun
  • Met several interesting audaxers going back; I'm grateful to Phil for guiding me with his GPS on the return leg
  • Not as flat as you might think
But done!

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Second post for this ride, i have already posted in another section, But this may interest a few of you, It's a report written by the guy who's idea it was to do the London Kings Lynn ride. Hope you enjoy it.
The Day

I wake up at 12.30 am 02.30 am, I dream we started riding up the M11, alarm at 04.20. 100 g of porridge with banana and leave the house at 05.20. I'm the first there in the tradition of Jim at the York ride. Set out flapjacks and they get handed out, handy as we can see the late comers..err Roger and Anthony, you live in Barnet, how can you be late? The expectation is palpable. Briefing and we set off in waves.

Stage One Enfield To Monks Eleigh 65 miles

We're off! Damn, I didn't change my cleat but its been fine all week, it will be ok, I'm sure. Rumble strips at Forty Hall, through into Essex for 400 feet of climbing. Don't push too hard, we don't want anyone off the back..We get to Epping Road, still haven't managed to clip in...mmm not great. Ok, I know this like the back of my hand from riding with the Eagles CC week in week out. Brilliant, we've got a tail wind, let's crack on. Feeling brilliant, we do 5 minute turns, Matching Green, little detour then we are back on. Pace is fast but steady. We pass Alex's group who encountered the only puncture of the day. Which in itself is a remarkable piece of both preparation and luck..David Bellis doesn't feel great but is riding strong, something he manages for the whole day. He's on the front taking big turns, easy David. I get the feeling this wind will be back to meet us later in the day. There's a little bit of gravelly road that isn't great but keeps the concentration up. Not sure why I left that part in the route but then we are onto nice quick B roads. Average pushing 20 to 21 mph. Great Dunmow arrives without blinking an eye, wow that was quick! Great Bardfield, we do the same wrong turn as I did on my recce..push on. Before I know it we are on the A131 into Sudbury, riding great, really pushing on. A blink of the eye and we are at the first stop. This is like a dream.. Debs Cheryl and Mark were waiting at The Swan Pub. "Are we the first?" asked Watto. Yep, we are. Left my Garmin lead at home, it will be ok though..
15 minute stop, the other groups roll in, all smiles. Let's crack on.

Stage Two Monks Eleigh To Oulton Broad 53 miles

There's something satisfying knowing your longest section is done. In some ways I thought this would be the most challenging leg, a run on the A143 and ten miles on a busy A12. But that tailwind was making riding at 24 to 30 mph is so easy. Now we were really motoring, everyones spirits high. We navigate the A143 which is OK, through, past one of my favourite sites Saxtead Green post mill, built in the 13th Century, blah blah blah. I did the audio tour, you can move the Mill into the wind..Roger "yeah shut up". Few little hiccups, I call a wrong left turn, but we crack on. Its Yoxford before I know it which usually takes ages to arrive. Ok ladies and gentleman, eyes down, this is the A12. Single file, chain gang, I come through and we are at or around 30 to 34 miles an hour, you really couldn't make this up, first 100 miles and its midday. The Watto mantra, get 100 miles in before midday...The River Blyth on our left and past home of Latitude, Henham Hall. Everyone contributing at the front we get off the A12 and the run in to Oulton Broad. My blessed Garmin was giving me the runaround, luckily I knew the roads, so navigated to Oulton Broad, past the Transport Museum in Carlton Colville, do you know you can ride a Tram there? Roger "yeah shut up". As we get into the car park turn the corner, there was a hint of what the afternoon was to bring, a headwind that brought me to a virtual standstill from 15 mph. Mmmm, this could get interesting. We wait for the van, have a full fat coke and watch the dark clouds loom large. I'm getting cold and even though we have had a near perfect first 120 miles, there's still a 100 to go, into this wind. Gulp. The van rolls in, food, food, food and some warmth. We re all here, spirits still up, although the locals think its some kind of freakshow.

Stage Three Oulton Broad To Cromer 46.1 miles

A shorter section, this will be easy. But here's how not to start your after lunch ride, rain (yet still quite humid) and an immediate wrong turning..I know we need to get to not so Great Yarmouth, I avoided the A12, but in retrospect think it may have been a better way, the rain stops, the wind doesn't. Back on course, road sign, Road Closed. Ah we'll be fine keep going, metal fence across the road. Oh, this wasn't in the script. Passing bikes through the wire fence and then onto the A146, another misdirection, Ok let's get down a section of the A12 and into Yarmouth, I know the way, let's crack on. A couple of guys in a car roll up near the bridge. "How you doing what was the score" I say, clearly Norwich City Fans like myself. " Weird you saw your mates" said Watto. No I've never seen them before in my life....They're off, a few of the team look at me like I'm crazy, let's get through this town. We do, heading towards Caister. Always trust your instinct over your Garmin, I don't, we do an approximate 6 mile detour down the wrong road, the A149 straight into a headwind, I'm beginning to get really stressed now, when I should have just shrugged it off and taken a minute to take stock. Sir Bob and Watto were getting concerned, I was feeling tired and not delegating, not eating not drinking, wishing the headwind to go away and us to be in Cromer. Then a freak soil storm from the wind blowing topsoil and sand into our faces. The dark times were upon me.. I can usually gauge how things are going by asking Roger how he is.."How you doing Rog'" I say, "Suffering" came the replied..Bob... ' you're a ride leader tell me to do something, come on, delegate stop looking at your screen".. Ok Bob take my turn at the front, "with pleasure" came the reply. Another wrong turn and its time to take stock, a real map ok, keep on the B1159, Bacton; we miss the Bacton turn off, this is excruciating now. Cromer feels like its never going to arrive..Its that "let's get this done" stage, a lot of people are suffering. Watto gives me a push up a hill, Tanya gives me a drink and gel, 8 miles and I'm feeling like the end is nigh, drop a water bottle, Grant went to collect it. A true star, one of 7 in the group. Oh god, it can't be far now, every pedal stroke is like a dagger, I consider getting into the van at Cromer..very dark times. I'm not alone, Tanya, Del and Roger are living the hell, we all are, some hide it better than others.. Bacton Gas works, come on Cromer...Tanya pipes up " Its like Holland here.." I manage a weary.."Yes". Signs for Cromer, I can do this. I have long since stopped taking turns at the front and Bob Groves, Ian Andrew Watson Grant Venter Roger Jewell and David Bellis are doing the work. We are there, we must be the last group, its nearly 5pm. See the van, but there's no one else. Maybe we are all having a bad leg?
I lay down, have a Coke and get out of the wind. Can I do another 50 miles? I'm not sure.. My Garmin dies and at this point I would be happy to throw it in the sea...The wind is killing us all...

Stage Four Cromer To Kings Lynn 45 miles

Adaptability is the key to a long ride. The decision was made to not take on the headwind, to go inland on the A road to Kings Lynn through Holt and Fakenham, gentrified Norfolk. The best decision of the day, still 48 miles. We had a long break and split into 2 groups getting cold now, do or die... Do.
Ten miles in, can't clip in, now its Bob, Grant, Roger taking turns, I'm following David Bellis's wheel who is clearly suffering big style, I try and offer some words of encouragement, less than a club run now. Apologise to Tanya Selby because I cannot summon a conversation, Paul Symes contributes to the pace, the wind has dropped but we're losing the light, push on, I'm just concentrating on the wheel in front trying to ease my shoulders. I start to feel a bit better, the end is in touching distance. We stop and regroup into one group, nearly..4 miles..
We arrive and the relief is palpable, I just want to get off my bike and change. Group photo, we change and remember how to walk again. Train, tube home.

What a day. Amazing people. Thank you all. Big shout to Cheryl Wigmore, Mark Allen and Deb for brilliant backup and encouragement. We couldn't have done it without you. And to you
Watto (Ride Leader)
Grant Venter
David Bellis
Tanya Selby
Derrick Nelmes
Bob Groves
Roger Jewell
Team Red
Paul Harvey (Ride Leader)
Paul Willis (Ride Leader)
Kevin Solano S
Paul Symes