Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you like.:thanks:

Very much.

Don't miss the punctures from hedge trimming though...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday was a 20 mile leg stretcher across town and back on the CX, before today's MTB ride, as I'd not been able to ride for a while. Nothing major to write up about on that one, apart from folk that can't control their yapping, snapping, dogs.. Grrr ( and that's me growling, not the dogs!!)

Today, however, a few mates and I visited Rushmere Country Park to see what could be seen.
Parking in Great Brickhill, we set off down a lane to a bridleway back entrance onto the trails within the woods.

DSC_0559.JPG

Checking out one of the the downhills.. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

20190211_135853_009.jpg

JUMP!!

20190211_135853_012.jpg

Nah.. Roll it, ya pussy :laugh:
I don't bounce well at my age...

DSC_0550.JPG

Summat more pretty to look at.

DSC_0569.JPG

And, once back at the van, some home made soup, before heading back home.

Only 10 miles, full of fun, though a mate Strava'd 13 on the same route, in lovely weather, and not too much mud.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2139203365

:smile:

pjd57

Veteran
IMG_20190211_202313747.jpg
a couple of fairly routine trips in Glasgow.
East end in the morning then a bit of a mystery tour round Pollock tonight.
I thought I knew where I was going, but in the dark with no street signs I managed an extra 4 miles .
42 in total.
Wee pic of Kelvingrove Art Gallery, since I was stopped at the lights

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
So far February has been a fractured month, a bit of this and a bit of that – not much structure, not well-organised, and hardly any cycling. A couple of days ago, I’d looked at the long-term weather forecast and had thought that I’d got a decent chance of cycling every day for the next 14 days. God laughs at those who plan? Well, of course I hadn’t factored in the unexpected – a major emotional upset, the possibility of selling an old lawnmower (which needed TLC before being sellable), calls on my time by other parties etc. And late last night, what looks like being a change to the settled weather this weekend. Oh, well.

As the first day of the planned 14 days on the bike I managed to get out for 90 minutes yesterday. I looped around NW of here, on mostly very quiet roads, and into a fairly stiff breeze to start with. Good clear views from the higher ground and I saw the first primroses of the year. The birds were making a lot of noise – they think Spring is just around the corner too.

I reached 41kph on the D13 between Ménéac and la Bourdonnais – not very fast compared to a lot of cyclists, but about as fast as I ever go. I would have gone faster if I’d had more gears, but the Shaper is about comfortable riding for pleasure, not about speed. An enjoyable 28km – and hopefully just the start of a good couple of weeks on the bike.

pjd57

Veteran
strava412184851908546351.jpg
My morning run started well.
Headed towards Easterhouse on the eastern edge of Glasgow.
Got there no bother , it's only 8 and a bit miles.
Dropped something off, got back on my bike and realised back tyre was flat.

It wasn't too cold and it was dry , so I thought ,10 minutes max and the spare tube will be in.
Horror.....
I'd done my good deed yesterday and blown up tyres for two kids next door......pump was lying in the hall at home.

Nearest train station was a few miles away. No bike shop anywhere close.
Started walking in the direction of home . Saw a couple of the big 6 seater taxis go by and remembered bikes fit in them.

15 minutes and £18 and I was home.

So it was only 9 miles on my bike

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
There is still a creak! Not much of one though, so I reckon it was the bottom bracket making that noise. I fitted the replacement yesterday, forty five minutes of taking an unaccustomed amount of care with things mechanical. I will happily say that in this case, Shimano make a pretty nice piece of kit.

So, it had to be tested, and that means riding. Great stuff, but maybe not too far away from a warm workshop. Otherwise known as my kitchen. Thinking done, off to Holbeck ‘cos that is where Office Lock is, and the towpath. Ride that to Viaduct Road, while I was waiting to turn onto there a driver very kindly waved me on. Maybe the white hair ( mine, what there is of it ) prompted that courtesy. Nice though. Across Kirkstall Road and the climbing starts. Not steep but it seems to go on for an incredibly long time. Through Headingley and up to Lawnswood, and just for some more up turn left onto Otley Old Road and continue to the water tower. There is a welcome stretch of descent after that, almost enough to make me consider carrying on to Otley. Almost. Bramhope next, as planned, then the A 660 back towards Leeds but only as far as the one and only roundabout in Bramhope. Turn left, Kings Road towards Arthington Road and reaching there turn right. After a while there is a left turn towards Eccup so go that way until Village Road appears on the right and ride through the village, after passing the lass pushing her bike up the hill.

The roads around there could do with some attention, there is so little traffic it is a wonder they are so bad. Maybe the maintenance interval is every ten years or so. Anyway, follow the road to the reservoir, I always walk the cattle grid along there. One of the least reassuring cattle grids I have seen. Across the dam wall and up yet again towards the A 61. Once that is reached, turn again towards Leeds, today through the added extra traffic due to long running roadworks at the Ring Road. Leeds for long running roadworks every time. Street Lane soon appears, turn left towards Roundhay Park and into a slightly calmer part of the ride. The clock at Oakwood, turn right to aim for Leeds once more and happily ride downhill that way.

Most of the morning I had been passing signs telling of a police incident on the inner Ring Road or Marsh Lane. The Railway was on Marsh Lane. My preferred boozer for quite a while, but all that area has altered immensely. Anyway, I think I found the ‘incident’ by the viaduct on St Peter’s Street. A couple of cars bashed and twisted. Amazing, the congestion this all caused. It bemused me a while, trying to find a way home without having too much to do with busy but almost stationary traffic. Arrived there eventually, greeted the sight with a grin.

Almost twenty four miles after fitting it seems the replacement bottom bracket has been put on proper.
And a map, 'cos I has one,

12022019.jpg

8mph

Veteran
A hot day on the bike today with temperatures of 35c. Wasn't feeling it, and took ages to get going. The traffic was brutal, the towns dusty and dirty. Not many smiling faces in Gujerat either.
The road was so hot that I took shelter under some trees and got a puncture from a thorn. Fixed it in front of a small group of spectators but it was flat again after 2 minutes. I patched it two more times and pushed on. 92 miles today and 995 miles covered so far, 84 miles to reach the coast.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yesterday was a 20 mile leg stretcher across town and back on the CX, before today's MTB ride, as I'd not been able to ride for a while. Nothing major to write up about on that one, apart from folk that can't control their yapping, snapping, dogs.. Grrr ( and that's me growling, not the dogs!!)

Today, however, a few mates and I visited Rushmere Country Park to see what could be seen.
Parking in Great Brickhill, we set off down a lane to a bridleway back entrance onto the trails within the woods.

View attachment 451958

Checking out one of the the downhills.. What could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

View attachment 451960

JUMP!!

View attachment 451956
Nah.. Roll it, ya pussy :laugh:
I don't bounce well at my age...

View attachment 451957

Summat more pretty to look at.

View attachment 451959

And, once back at the van, some home made soup, before heading back home.

Only 10 miles, full of fun, though a mate Strava'd 13 on the same route, in lovely weather, and not too much mud.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2139203365

:smile:

That looks a right larf, I must investigate the area one day.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I smudge over 30 miles today. I went out to my old manor of North Oxfordshire to blag the 'J' in the ABC challenge, but as it was over 37 miles away and I do not have the luxury of spending all day out on my bike just yet, I bunged the bike in the back of the car and drove to just outside Juniper Hill and rode to the hamlet where Flora Thompson was born in 1876. She fictionalised the hamlet as Lark Rise in her Lark Rise to Candleford trilogy. Also a famous TV actress who used to be in Corrie and Casualty lives here, can't remember her name.

From there I rode down the A43 to a bit along to Baynards Green turned right, then left to Fritwell, Fewcott and Ardley then to Middleton Stoney, Kirtlington and back towards Chesterton then back to the village of Fringford where Flora Thompson ran the post office and where I lived for 14 years, then a couple of miles down to Newton Morrell and back to Juniper.

A warmer but blustery day, a headwind on most of the way out, that made want to quit at times, still haven't found that mojo, I'm forcing myself to go out, not enjoying it at first but then I seem to get into it.

The longest ride of the year so far 30.26 miles av speed 15mph.

A map
Jklmn.jpg

Juniper.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That looks a right larf, I must investigate the area one day.
It is fun, but those jumps are beyond my capability :stop:
The trails and downhills are good riding! I reckon it'll be too busy for much riding on weekends and summer/school hols etc
(it is advertised as £8 a day to ride, but no one asked for any spondoololies ;))

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Two rides today

At 7 am I accompanied Mrs Dave part way to work. I turned off down a bridleway on Madingley hill and then came home mostly via muddy bridleways.
That was a 6.5 mile ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/2142746444

Then I had an appointment to attend.

Once home I jumped on my Cube, the weather was too nice to waste. Out through Caldecott, Kingston and the Eversdens. Not much out and about to remark on until I got to Comberton. It was school kicking out time. There were busses here there and everywhere. It was most unpleasant!

17 miles this time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2143473462

Top Bottom