Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
View attachment 452384
Sunshine through the mist near Cressage.

I love this pic!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Challenge ride time again. The forecast looked good for today and the wind direction made heading south then being helped home look like the best option, so I headed to do my Ludow route which I haven't done in ages.

I was out on the road just before seven and into thick fog (which hadn't been forecast) but fortunately it was quite localised and I rode out of it after crossing Lyth Hill (and before crossing the A49 which was good). I always need to add a bit of mileage when doing this route and did it today by heading north from Condover to Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna then turned east taking the lane that heads directly to Rodington rather than the one through Withington.

Turning south again I found the headwind on the way to Eaton Constantine and Cressage where I paused for my second breakfast. Here I thought that any extra miles added would be good later on, so went up Shore Lane and climbed to Harnage Grange rather than taking the more direct way. There was a bit of an odd moment along here where a guy in a Mercedes 4x4 seemed to take the hump at me pulling in to let him by and floored it, squeaking the tyres and disappearing up the lane at a rate of knots.:scratch:

The road to Kenley Common brought a few more relaxed and friendly drivers, then a couple of miles from Longville I ran into more fog so didn't have any views while crossing Wenlock Edge. The descent the other side was fairly fun and the fog dispersed as I dropped into the valley. I encountered some tree cutting directed by quite a jovial farmer after Broncroft and after a good run along the fairly flat lanes had my elevenses stop in a gateway not far from Stanton Lacy. I'd hoped to have this stop at Ludlow but wasn't quite getting on well enough for that, so hunger dictated.

When I did get to Ludlow I had a pause in the centre to send a progress update to family, then setting off again something didn't feel quite right. Descending the next hill I got a pronounced thump from the back wheel and having experienced it before my heart sank. I stopped to check and as expected the rear wheel rim had split meaning it was game over for today at the 48 mile mark.:sad: I'm pretty gutted but if it had to happen anywhere, the centre of Ludlow was a good place as the railway station was in easy reach.

The train ride back was swift and once back in Shrewsbury I dropped the rear tyre pressure and rode home very slowly keeping to cycle paths as much as possible in case the rim damage got worse.

52.2 miles for the day at 11 mph average. I've swapped the wheel for my last remaining 26" rear so hopefully I can complete another try fairly soon. Don't want to be out of the challenge if I can help it.

View attachment 452383
At Uppington. I thought I'd taken a wrong road for a moment as there was a 10 foot high hedge last time I was here.

View attachment 452384

View attachment 452385
Back into the murk at Longville.

View attachment 452386
Broncroft. I like this house.

View attachment 452387
Mist clearing near Peaton.

View attachment 452388
Ludlow.

View attachment 452389
Just outside Ludlow Castle moments before the rim failed.

View attachment 452390
Admitting defeat.

View attachment 452391
Back in Shrewsbury the cyclepath took me past the contentious Quantum Leap sculpture.

View attachment 452392
The damage.

Unfortunate getting that damage, hopefully you'll get an opportunity for the challenge ride again. I'm munching breakfast trying to get motivated to go out the door for the imperial century ride.....

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hard luck on the rim Phil. Glad it wasn't worse.

My ride today ended as abruptly as it started.
Kids off to school, dishes done and doggy fed, I looked out the window to a nice, calm, sunny day. It even had blue skies.
I pondered for a while if I had the energy for a trip to Rivington. Its been ages since I've been there. I decided I was in ok condition for the climbs.
Gear on and bike sorted I pootled off through the estate before my first climb of Chorley Old Road. About halfway up I was one shift away from dropping onto the granny ring and had two other cyclists on my back wheel but they weren't overtaking me. Odd. Everything overtakes me.
Near to Bob's Smithy Inn a slight cough started up and as I was about to move over to my right they passed me with the usual greetings...slowly. Man and wife (I assume) in their 70's both on tourers with Carradice bags...just like mine! It must be nice having a partner who also shares the love of cycling. Mines allergic to it.
Anyhoo, I was now following them and we all turned right onto Walker Fold Road into the moors. It was a gorgeous sight. The moors, not their arses.
Cue more coughing and my legs were giving up. Then I spewed up. FFS!
I watched as the couple disappeared slowly over the brow and pulled over to spew again. This time it ended up all over the left shifter, brake lever, bar, glove and sleeve. Awesome.
I stood there for another good 10 minutes emptying my stomach onto the grass verge and when I'd finished I decided I wasn't going to visit Rivington after all. Not covered in bloody sick. Effin lurgy.
I washed off what could with my water bottle and returned home again.
2.49 miles today. Sigh. Another day beckons.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Kids off to school, dishes done and doggy fed, I looked out the window to a nice, calm, sunny day. It even had blue skies.
I pondered for a while if I had the energy for a trip to Rivington. Its been ages since I've been there. I decided I was in ok condition for the climbs.
Gear on and bike sorted I pootled off through the estate before my first climb of Chorley Old Road. About halfway up I was one shift away from dropping onto the granny ring and had two other cyclists on my back wheel but they weren't overtaking me. Odd. Everything overtakes me.
Near to Bob's Smithy Inn a slight cough started up and as I was about to move over to my right they passed me with the usual greetings...slowly. Man and wife (I assume) in their 70's both on tourers with Carradice bags...just like mine! It must be nice having a partner who also shares the love of cycling. Mines allergic to it.
Anyhoo, I was now following them and we all turned right onto Walker Fold Road into the moors. It was a gorgeous sight. The moors, not their arses.
I watched as the couple disappeared slowly over the brow and pulled over to spew again. This time it ended up all over the left shifter, brake lever, bar, glove and sleeve. Awesome.
I stood there for another good 10 minutes emptying my stomach onto the grass verge and when I'd finished I decided I wasn't going to visit Rivington after all. Not covered in bloody sick. Effin lurgy.
Doesn't seem right to give a like for that as it sounds like you've had a rotten time.

I hope you'll get well soon.

C R

Guru

Like Phil says, a like doesn't feel right. Hope you get better soon and get a few good rides as the weather improves.

Old jon

Guru

A virtual like for that, better riding in future.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My first outing this year. Just 16 miles but very pleasant and enjoyable. Still some frost in places.
20190215_123807.jpg
20190215_112614.jpg
20190215_113807.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
strava1331594206537678677.jpg
another lovely morning in Glasgow.
I had to go to Easterhouse, then the city centre and then across the Clyde to Rutherglen.
IMG_20190215_111307205_HDR.jpg
went through Glasgow Green past @Pat "5mph" favourite counter.
It said 13,001 after I passed, but it doesn't seem to be working heading out the park.
Great numbers but should probably be a lot higher.

Headed home taking in a section of the canal in Maryhill
IMG_20190215_123700868_HDR.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well I never did manage all my breakfast, but I was on the road just after 0600hrs. A misty start as I headed along familiar roads out through Virginia Water before doubling back towards Rowtown, then out towards Pyrford where the mist turned to proper fog and the temperature plummeted. After 12 miles I was not going anywhere fast, and it was -4C:cold:
15 Feb 2019 -4.2.jpg

Onwards through Ripley, then over the main road at East Clandon for the first proper climb of the day up Staple Lane which was harder than it should have been. The descent down Combe Lane was nice though, but dropped me back into the fog at Shere. New territory for me as I zigged and zagged through the Surrey Hills picking up stray Explorer squares. I rode though an arched bridge and the view was great, so went back to get a pic. Not as good as it was in the flesh.
15 Feb 2019 Bridge.jpg

After 32 miles I paused for Soreen before pushing on in the cold. I had ice forming on my gloves, jacket and whiskers and TBH was struggling to keep warm, my feet were really cold even with 2 pairs of socks and in winter boots.
Onwards through Godalming and towards Thursley on one of the worst road surfaces I've seen for ages, really energy sapping. Stop 2 at the tank track.
15 Feb 2019 Tank Gate.jpg

After 66 miles I'd had enough. The temperature was still hovering around zero, the fog was still there and I was still cold. The reality was that sticking to the route was probably going to be as quick a way home as any, so I gave myself a talking to, eat a Double Decker and pressed on through Frensham, Dockenfield, and Bentley. Never thought I'd be pleased to see Farnham, but it meant only 20 or so miles to go, and the sun came out!!
Familiar roads back through Pirbright, Bisley and Chobham.

Home on 101.3 miles and a massive 6,168ft of climbing. The strava route plan had stated 5200ft, way out.....

I bought a pair of North Wave Arctic boots a couple of weeks back, looks like I'll get them sorted and see it they are any better than the Shimano MW81's.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What a lovely day for being out on a bicycle, stunning out there this morning. Today's ride is the first road bike ride I've enjoyed for months, I had a really good time, it was only 18 miles, but I had a smashing ride.

The road bike was still in the car from Monday, so I drove up to just past Long Crendon, to blag some more letters in the ABC challenge today was O, P and Q, it was about 9 miles from where I parked to Oving a ride lumpier than I anticipated and much lumpier than Monday's ride, I had to ride through Pinchcott to get to Oving but they're right next to each other, then back to Quainton where the railway centre is. I stopped off there to have coffee and cake, then via a quick visit to see the choo choos ( there's was only one, the place was closed) I headed back via Waddesdon Manor estate, what a stunning place.

Some photos today as it was such a lovely morning.
1.JPG

Blue sky's all day today, from Oving looking West North Marston in the distance.

2.JPG

Looking East you can just make out Stokenchurch Tower on the horizon right of centre.

CAr2.JPG

The Ice in this old jam jar was not paying attention and was having a rabbit 'n pork on his dog 'n bone.

Bike1.JPG

The Windmill in Quainton.

Train.JPG

Train2.JPG

Bucks Railway centre.

bikes.JPG

These two old Raleigh bikes were on the Waddesdon Manor estate, just left there by the entrance, I thought it most odd.

GAte.JPG

Posh gates at Waddesdon Manor

View.JPG

Some of the grounds at Waddesdon.
Map.jpg

The Map.

Last edited:
Well I never did manage all my breakfast, but I was on the road just after 0600hrs. A misty start as I headed along familiar roads out through Virginia Water before doubling back towards Rowtown, then out towards Pyrford where the mist turned to proper fog and the temperature plummeted. After 12 miles I was not going anywhere fast, and it was -4C:cold:
View attachment 452532
Onwards through Ripley, then over the main road at East Clandon for the first proper climb of the day up Staple Lane which was harder than it should have been. The descent down Combe Lane was nice though, but dropped me back into the fog at Shere. New territory for me as I zigged and zagged through the Surrey Hills picking up stray Explorer squares. I rode though an arched bridge and the view was great, so went back to get a pic. Not as good as it was in the flesh.
View attachment 452533
After 32 miles I paused for Soreen before pushing on in the cold. I had ice forming on my gloves, jacket and whiskers and TBH was struggling to keep warm, my feet were really cold even with 2 pairs of socks and in winter boots.
Onwards through Godalming and towards Thursley on one of the worst road surfaces I've seen for ages, really energy sapping. Stop 2 at the tank track.
View attachment 452541
After 66 miles I'd had enough. The temperature was still hovering around zero, the fog was still there and I was still cold. The reality was that sticking to the route was probably going to be as quick a way home as any, so I gave myself a talking to, eat a Double Decker and pressed on through Frensham, Dockenfield, and Bentley. Never thought I'd be pleased to see Farnham, but it meant only 20 or so miles to go, and the sun came out!!
Familiar roads back through Pirbright, Bisley and Chobham.

Home on 101.3 miles and a massive 6,168ft of climbing. The strava route plan had stated 5200ft, way out.....

I bought a pair of North Wave Arctic boots a couple of weeks back, looks like I'll get them sorted and see it they are any better than the Shimano MW81's.
Well done, made my little effort on ,my indoor trainer bike look a bit feeble!

gavgav

Guru
Challenge ride time again. The forecast looked good for today and the wind direction made heading south then being helped home look like the best option, so I headed to do my Ludow route which I haven't done in ages.

I was out on the road just before seven and into thick fog (which hadn't been forecast) but fortunately it was quite localised and I rode out of it after crossing Lyth Hill (and before crossing the A49 which was good). I always need to add a bit of mileage when doing this route and did it today by heading north from Condover to Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna then turned east taking the lane that heads directly to Rodington rather than the one through Withington.

Turning south again I found the headwind on the way to Eaton Constantine and Cressage where I paused for my second breakfast. Here I thought that any extra miles added would be good later on, so went up Shore Lane and climbed to Harnage Grange rather than taking the more direct way. There was a bit of an odd moment along here where a guy in a Mercedes 4x4 seemed to take the hump at me pulling in to let him by and floored it, squeaking the tyres and disappearing up the lane at a rate of knots.:scratch:

The road to Kenley Common brought a few more relaxed and friendly drivers, then a couple of miles from Longville I ran into more fog so didn't have any views while crossing Wenlock Edge. The descent the other side was fairly fun and the fog dispersed as I dropped into the valley. I encountered some tree cutting directed by quite a jovial farmer after Broncroft and after a good run along the fairly flat lanes had my elevenses stop in a gateway not far from Stanton Lacy. I'd hoped to have this stop at Ludlow but wasn't quite getting on well enough for that, so hunger dictated.

When I did get to Ludlow I had a pause in the centre to send a progress update to family, then setting off again something didn't feel quite right. Descending the next hill I got a pronounced thump from the back wheel and having experienced it before my heart sank. I stopped to check and as expected the rear wheel rim had split meaning it was game over for today at the 48 mile mark.:sad: I'm pretty gutted but if it had to happen anywhere, the centre of Ludlow was a good place as the railway station was in easy reach.

The train ride back was swift and once back in Shrewsbury I dropped the rear tyre pressure and rode home very slowly keeping to cycle paths as much as possible in case the rim damage got worse.

52.2 miles for the day at 11 mph average. I've swapped the wheel for my last remaining 26" rear so hopefully I can complete another try fairly soon. Don't want to be out of the challenge if I can help it.

View attachment 452383
At Uppington. I thought I'd taken a wrong road for a moment as there was a 10 foot high hedge last time I was here.

View attachment 452384

View attachment 452385
Back into the murk at Longville.

View attachment 452386
Broncroft. I like this house.

View attachment 452387
Mist clearing near Peaton.

View attachment 452388
Ludlow.

View attachment 452389
Just outside Ludlow Castle moments before the rim failed.

View attachment 452390
Admitting defeat.

View attachment 452391
Back in Shrewsbury the cyclepath took me past the contentious Quantum Leap sculpture.

View attachment 452392
The damage.
A like for the attempt and not the issues!

bluenotebob

Veteran
Continuing with my mini-project of cycling every day for 14 days from Monday 11 February, even when I don’t have much time, I started the bread, filled the bidon and headed west out of the village this afternoon for a couple of hours on the bike.

Through la Costuais and up to la Suais. A slightly chilly cross-wind but it was OK. Into Guilliers and onto the D13 – heading south now and noticing the wind more. This road is busier than usual this afternoon, but I’ve got my back light on, and everyone is passing me with plenty of room. Down the long slope into Loyat and markedly slower than usual – I reckon on about 40 minutes to do the 16km from home, but it took 46 minutes today because I was heading into the wind. I stopped for a few minutes to take some photos of the old bridge in Loyat (one photo below).

Then, finally with the wind on my back, I headed up the V3 Voie Verte towards Mauron. On Wednesday, after over 60km of cycling, these 14 kilometres were hard work – today they were nothing at all: I flew along. I was in Mauron in no time. Out the other side and onto the D2. Home via Morinais and a gentle descent into the village. 36.43km in 114 minutes, and just in time to knock the bread down for its second proving.

Old bridge at Loyat pic1 15022019.JPG

Mr Celine

Discordian
For once a beautiful day coincided with a day off work. Unfortunately so beautiful for cycling as it was blowing a gale, which I discovered to my cost was more southerly than the westerly predicted by the met office. I headed up the Tweed valley which is more sheltered from the west before turning south up the Paddy Slacks climb where the full force of the gale hit me. I ground my way up on the granny ring and stopped at the col for a quick photo.

IMG_20190215_145547[1].jpg

The descent to the south starts off fairly gently and is usually an easy 25mph in the big ring. Due to the strength of the wind I needed the granny for the first half of the descent! By the time I got to the Gordon Arms I was too knackered to appreciate the tailwind home.

upload_2019-2-16_9-29-26.png

40 miles @ 13.4 mph, 730m ascent.

Top Bottom