Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
The Hybrid is still off the road, caliper and pads have been replaced but the disc is below the minimum and so I’ve left it with @Rickshaw Phil to get that replaced as well. That meant a long winter ride on the Carbon, which hasn’t happened before, and the remarkably dry and mild weather meant the roads were in a better condition than they’ve been in some summers!

It was grey and very blustery out, which meant quite a chilly start to the ride, but mostly a tailwind for the first half. I headed up to Heathgates and then through Sundorne, where a chap almost walked straight into my path from a side road, completely unaware of what was around him and jumped to a startled stop when he eventually saw me! I then followed the old canal path to Uffington, complete with a big Shire Horse also being ridden down the path. Definitely not an animal to mess with!

Out onto the roads to Upton Magna, Withington, Rodington Heath and then a short section on the busy main road to High Ercall, before I turned up Silver Hill and onto lanes i’d only ridden once, but not in this direction. It was very pleasant riding along here, mostly flat lanes and the wind behind me, which made for quick progress to Osbaston, where I was surprised to see hundreds of shiny Vauxhall cars parked in the old RAF base and eventually saw that it’s the national PDI centre for Greenhous’ Vauxhall, which I never knew was there, Rowton, Ellerdine Heath and High Hatton, where I paused for some lunch, just as it started to rain!

The clouds were very black, but luckily the rain didn’t amount to much and by the time I’d reached Stanton upon Hine Heath, the sun was out. I had, however turned into the wind now and boy what a slog it was for the final 19 miles into the hoolie. Indeed my avg speed dropped from 14 to 12.7 by the time I got home.

At least it had warmed up nicely, with the sun, as I headed through Moreton Corbett, Shawbury and Bings Heath, before the hard climb up East Haughmond. I paused, back at Upton Magna, to have a drink and clobber my shin on the pedal :cry: before retracing my steps to Uffington and Sundorne. Unfortunately there had been an accident at the ridiculously stupid mini roundabout, on Sundorne Rd, which necessitated an Ambulance to be in attendance.

The remainder of the ride was along cycle paths to Meole Brace and back home.

41.2 Miles with 1575 ft of climbing and a bruise on my shin!

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190217_152724.jpg

We went to Red Bank Farm near Winwick today. It turned out to be further than I was expecting (I'd not read the information properly and thought we were going to Red House Farm in Dunham!) It was windier and colder than I was expecting. The coffee came in a small cup, the toast was burnt and the cake was chilled. Apart from that, I enjoyed the ride. ^_^:bicycle:The sun came out briefly and it was nice to ride down some different roads. 42 smiles but my hands and wrists are really sore now.

13 rider

Guru
Having resisted @Supersuperleeds invite to do a 150 miler for me to get the letter V for the ABC thread as I'm only at I . I took the option of a nice cafe ride with @tallliman as he regains fitness .Out the door at 0830 for a few miles before meeting @tallliman .Anstey ,Cropston then took the long draggy climb around the back of Bradgate park and on past the golf course I road I dislike . Up to Beacon crossroad left up towards Copt oak up the climb if Whitcroft lane then a quick descent down the rest of Whitcroft then down the usually rapid descent of Priory lane but today I slowed for 2 separate lots of horse riders . Then the climb of Priory lane began a steady climb up into Woodhouse up Church hill into Swithland slow down for another group of horse riders good job as one off them was my sister quick wave as I past . On to Quorn got to the meeting point literally just unclipping as @tallliman rolled in quick chat about the route and we're off .Barrow and up Paudy lane felt much better than last week were I was dying on it . @tallliman fitness is returning thanks to his zwifting and Nice Pie was made in good time to find other sister and brother in law waiting .A nice relaxed stop chatting away . @tallliman had decided to do a slightly longer return journey which was fine until we hit an exposed but of road and a proper headwind which apparently you don't get on zwift . Just before the descent of Saxibley hill we were past by a scooter who motor paced me down if it wasn't for a car coming up I would have reovertaken it . Up the Wreake valley a quick pause at Ratcleffe just before the last climb up to humble lane . Here we merge with a group of riders as we hit the climb @tallliman hit it hard so I responded I was first up then one of the other riders then @tallliman I think his fitness is definitely coming back . Cossington ,Sileby and Mountsorrel were we parted ways . I took my commuting route home .51 miles done at good pace really enjoyable relaxed ride .@tallliman past 40 miles his longest ride for some time

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays hill climbing and 'sleb spotting it was a steadier and time limited ride. Still mild for the time of year, but no sunshine and notably cooler than yesterday and with a blustery wind - more on that later.

Local roads down to Barwick Road and the long drag from Cock Beck up into Scholes. As I crested the hill I could hear cyclists approaching behind, so that spurred me on a bit, but lets be honest it was only delaying the inevitable ^_^ and soon a mixed group ride from Calder Clarion started to pass, including a brave lass in shorts (it's warmer, but not that much warmer!). Lots of hellos and mornings and they turned left at the Coronation Tree while I headed right for the curving climb up towards Barwick.
I was soon at the top and then the long steady descent to Barwick and beyond was there to enjoy, slightly checked by that wind, which wasn't meant to be blowing from that direction. Still, never mind at least it was downhill.
Barwick was as busy as I've seen it in a long while with a large group of ramblers forming up and cars parked all over Main Street. Anyhow, soon negotiated and the long roll down to Cock Beck for the second time, followed by the climb up Cattle Lane and the roller coaster ride to Aberford.
Right onto the old Great North Road and through the village, climbing up towards the Almshouses and then that long false flat that is actually slightly uphill and again into the wind...:wacko:
At Hook Moor crossroads it was right again for a bit more up on the B1217 and then just before the roundabout over the M1, what looked like the entire HMT Hospitals Giant Cycling team were heading the other way, resplendent in team kit and with their support Skoda following behind. As I was on my Giant they all said hello and saluted as we passed :whistle:

Round the roundabout and over the M1 and on towards Garforth, stopping for a quick pic for the ABC Challenge:
IMG_20190217_103256989_BURST000_COVER-COLLAGE.jpg

After a slight rise it's time for some more downhill as the road drops into the town, although I got checked at some traffic lights I was soon climbing the bridge over the railway line and then dropping down to the lights at the end of Main Street where I turned right again and headed out of Dodge back under the railway line and then over the motorway, crossing Cock Beck again and starting the climb up Long Lane.
Finally I had the slightest hint of some wind assistance and before I knew it I was back in Barwick, climbing up towards the New Inn, then left on Leeds Road to retrace my outbound route.
All the down on the way out was now up, and into the wind (again), but eventually it was time to descend into Scholes, then the slight rise before the drop down the hill to cross Cock Beck for a fourth and final time today and then local roads up to home with a final loop around the block to round the mileage up.

15.1 miles (24.3 km) in 1h 9m at an average of 13.1 mph with 905 ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.8C

Enjoyed that. Lots of cyclists out and most motorists playing the game today, and I bagged another letter for the ABC Challenge.
'H' is next and while I've got several fairly close by (Halton, Harehills, Headingley, Holbeck and Hunslet) I'm struggling to find any place name signs on Street View so might have to venture further afield. EDIT: Just found one in Halton, so that's a possibility.

And to end, the map, complete with inaccurate comedy weather symbol:
17022019.JPG

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Beautiful day for riding today. Still a bit cold, but completely dry and sunny with very little wind.

I wasn't sure what my legs would think about riding today. My longest ride this year was 55kms and that was yesterday, but I would have been upset with myself if I didn't take advantage of the good weather.

I decided I would try and ride to Rapperswil near the other end of Lake Zurich. It's fairly flat and I can get the train back from there if I need to. That all went nicely, I was a bit cold by the time I arrived, but I was enjoying it and apart from a slight compliant from one of my knees, my legs were feeling pretty good. The only thing wrong was that the cafe had no carrot cake, which was slightly annoying.

I decided at that point I could go for the 100kms. So headed on out to the end of the Lake, around the top and down the other side. It was worth the effort, I love riding around the top part of the lake. You are quite close to some mountains and the views are amazing (though I didn't stop for photos today)

I stopped for a short break at Pfaffikon, there is a kiosk there that sells fantastic warm Shoggi Gipfelli (Swiss Chocolate Croissants). That more than made up for the lack of carrot cake earlier and fuelled me for the rest of the way home. Total 111kms today and 165kms for the weekend - Very Happy with that and now excited for rides to come in the Spring.

0Cmy8%auS+yQ7mjTzaGYPA.jpg
On the outskirts of the city.
mT5hctKsQzGz5JeT4gROkA.jpg
Almost at the coffee stop - The lake was like glass today.
IMG_0195.JPG
And todays map

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With the alarm clock buzzing away at 04.20(!!) a mate and I set off for the Peak District.
Arriving at Castleton just before 08:00, we set off up Cavedale.

DSC_0588.JPG

Nearly level with the castle, we were soon above it. A lot of Cavedale is, for me at least, unrideable. Steep, big rocks and a stream running down the middle.
We did our best, though. :tongue:

Once at the top, we had a further climb to a Trig point that had the most amazing view across the hills and dales.
From there is was a brilliant downhill, mainly on farm type tarmac. As is known, though, most downhills are rewarded with a climb. This one, on tarmac, was about 1 in 5, before we crossed an A Road, and headed onto the Penine Way.
Last February this as far as we got as my mate snapped his seat post :ohmy:
This year, we got past the place and were then climbing up to the next of the rocky climbs.

DSC_0601.JPG

Another superb view. No, that isn't a dolls house at the bottom of the hill :tongue:

DSC_0606.JPG

Edale Cross, a mile of so before Jacob's Ladder.

DSC_0611.JPG

Incredibly steep downhill, and lumpy rocks, too! Also, the crowds were out by now, with masses of walkers out enjoying the lovely weather.
After cake and coffee at a pub in Edale, we had out last climbing of the ride. The car was parked the other side of Mam Tor, so, as we didn't want to go around it, we went over it :wacko:

DSC_0613.JPG

The photograph only shows a few of the hundreds of people wandering around! A very popular place, like Jacob's Ladder.

Still, the descent to the old landslide Road was fun, but tricky through all the parked cars.

DSC_0619.JPG

After a play on the landslide, the drop down into Castleton was brilliant...

_20190217_185209.JPG

Strangly, my mate's Garmin showed just over 4000' of climbing, as did the RWGPS route I made. Same ride, same everything. Distance was exactly the same, though!

20 miles, wonderful weather, great fun

^_^

https://strava.app.link/mvUGj6I5nU

Weather good so out for the club ride.
The club had a dinner the evening before (I didn’t go), so it was a later start at 10, and not so long a ride.

We went to Billingbear Golf Club. It is a pleasant route through mostly country roads, the temperature was mild and not too much wind. The venue is pleasant too

On the Return leg, when going through Windsor Great Park it was crowded with pedestrians and dog walkers, and even worse at the far side there was along jame of cars trying to fin places to park, many parked by roadsides hardly wide enough, this caused further chaos in cars heading to park.

This slowed us down somewhat.

Not a long ride
40.94 miles with 1194 feet climbed
Only 14.5 mph average

Mike_P

Guru
Ebiked hybrid put to one side after spending most of yesterday and this morning resolving a creak - hoping it turned out to be a misfitted motor holding nut that had threaded on at slight angle. So the road bike rescued from its slumbers and after it successfully negotiated the country park without a visit from the p fairy I headed the wrong way on Penny Pot lane in terms of the UCI Harrogate Circuit route passing a field no more, wonder by the time of the UCI event what state this housing development will be.
pennypot-perm.jpg

Further on North Yorkshire Police were lying in wait for speeding motorists.
Pennypot-cameravan.jpg

I was more concerned with the cross wind and decided to turn north at the end heading to the junction with A59 in a PR - obviously wind assisted. The crossroads with the A59 has the name of Dangerous Corner.
Approach DangerCorner.jpg

North touching 31.1 mph on the descent from Dangerous Corner and east around RAF Menwith Hill and then turned north again descending Stumps Lane down to Darley.
StumpsLane.jpg

Then east to Birstwith alongside the River Nidd, not usually visible except when it floods!
Nidd twix Darley Birst.jpg

The village public house in Birstwith is The Station Hotel; the railway station closed over 50 years ago.
Birstwith.jpg

Up Clint Bank - what looks like a flattening off in the photo below is an optcial illusion, the road turns through ninety degrees to the north still climbing.
Clint bank 3.jpg

I continued north to Burnt Yates Crossroads and then followed the B6165 descending through Bedlam.
Bedlam2.jpg

to Ripley where wary of the wind direction I resorted to NCN67 which dissects the village car park.
Ripley cp.jpg

Followed the Nidderdale Greenway section of NCN67 to Bilton then turned south-west on Bilton Lane and then west homewards via the A59 and discovered a new task to look into as the road bike had obviously been plotting with the ebike and started creaking:cursing:
21.1 miles 1393 ft climbed - avg 12.7 mph
17-02 route & elevation.jpg

Was looking forward to today, first whole day I will have had since New Year to actually go out on the bike, what with weather/illness/family stuff and working most Saturdays now as well its been a struggle to find the time for a decent ride!

As it is, got out anyway but wanted to do more - just found it too windy which spoilt the fun a bit.

Still, 22 miles more than if I had stayed in :angel:
upload_2019-2-17_20-29-14.png

upload_2019-2-17_20-29-42.png
upload_2019-2-17_20-30-7.png

upload_2019-2-17_20-35-22.png

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks for the GWS messages following yesterday's off - my upper arm is a bit stiff thanks to the shock transfer when the elbow hit the ground, my hip is a lovely shade of purple and my first of my two rides today was into Felixstowe to get some more dresings for my knee as I used the last one last night.

The best way of bouncing back is to get back on the bike and, with the weather showing a distinct inprovement on yesterday, I took my Planet X out for its first ride of the year. Unlike yesterday, there was bright sunshine but with a bit of a breeze keeping things a bit cooler until you got a few miles inland.
Planet X.JPG
The route taken was similar to yesterday's ride, but missing out the double trip to Grundisburgh and a couple of the other poor condition roads, but it was good to be out n the sun for a change.
Screenshot_2019-02-17 Garmin Connect.png

Top Bottom