Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well this was my ride on Sunday, only just been able to be in front of the computer since then!

Boyfriend is half marathon training so he wanted to go to the coast as it was gorgeous weather, albeit it pretty breezy! We got down there just after midday, he set off running and I was on the bike, I took off and met him half way and then we came back - we did our own thing, but I was the mobile water station!

Weather was beautiful, but still pretty gusty - standard Coastal weather, but when the sun came out it beamed and was lovely on my skin!

IMG_20190317_162547_648.jpg
IMG_20190317_163143_696.jpg
IMG_20190317_162547_651.jpg

Normally my speed would be higher, but I just wanted to enjoy it and I didn't want to get back to the car too early and be waiting for him to finish. But he ran a really good time and I was only at the car for around 15 minutes - we celebrated with a drink in the pub and roast dinner! Hehe - perfect day really.

8mph

Veteran
82 miles from Chittogargh to Gulabputra. I'm so pleased to be riding in Rajasthan again, the roads are OK and the people are friendly.
I wasn't enjoying Madhya Pradesh, there are no amenities and everywhere I stopped I had people asking loads of questions in Hindi without employing much charm.

I had a few chats with motorcyclists while riding but the tone us different, friendly and calm. I'm 65km from Pushkar which is a beautiful town. Hopefully arriving tomorrow for the start of the Hindi festival of Holi which goes on for 2 days. Colour Holi is the day after, when people celebrate colour by throwing paint on each other on the street.
All in all a good day with lots of smiles and greeting which has been good for moral and motivation.

Third day on the trot that I got a ride in, 23 miles today and it felt quite pleasant out for a change, just a 7mph wind from the WSW and 12 degrees. I decided on by flatter route up to Cotton and back to Mendlesham, Gipping and Stowupland and home. I must say that I actually enjoyed the ride today as I did`nt feel that I was battling against wind all the time. At least it has taken my tally to 778 so far for the year.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'd taken a day off in case I got an interview for a job I'd applied for, but no such luck. I haven't been enjoying cycling recently because of pain in my hip, which could be arthritis making a comeback. Before setting off I experimented with altering the angle of the cleat on that side. It had clearly been in that position at least all winter as the bolts were almost rusted solid.
I needed a J for the ABC photo thread and the only one hereabouts is Jedburgh. The only approaches are either up and down stonkingly steep hills or along the A68 for a bit. I didn't fancy aggravating the hip so braved the A68 for four miles instead. At Cleikimin the A68 crosses the River Teviot with a fine view upstream from the bridge to its 1784 predecessor.

IMG_20190319_145903[1].jpg

Another 3 miles on the A68 then another photostop for the town sign....

IMG_20190319_150843[1].jpg

Another half mile then turn off to the left. I was feeling good at this point and with a strong westerly tail wind thought briefly of carrying on to Kelso but thought better of it. My route back was on almost traffic free lanes but despite this there was plenty of honking. It came from this field full of swans.

IMG_20190319_154537[2].jpg

Waterloo Monument at Monteviot in the background.
I avoided disturbing the swans, escaping with both arms intact.

Today's map -

upload_2019-3-19_19-54-41.png

41 miles @ 13.1 mph 840m up and down. Readjusted cleat seems to have helped.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5573076, member: 9609"]very brave I wouldn't fancy that stretch myself. You were probably luckier than you think - I was on that road today in my van, can't remember seeing any cyclists.
And yes, Jed is a pain for cycling, its either the A68 or big steep hills.[/QUOTE]

The traffic wasn't as bad as I'd feared, no close passes from any wagons, the worst was probably the bus - on the only bit without double whites with no traffic coming the other way. Oh and that nobber in a white van, don't think he'd seen me though. ^_^

Turned out nice again? Morning blat over to Aldford, very civilised don't you know.
20190320_102842.jpg

Eaton Hall tower in background. I was actually hunting down the iron bridge near the church but couldn't find it! Wiki below.
Aldford_Iron_Bridge.jpg

Grade I 1824 by Thomas Telford. Will give it another go but suspect it is on the Duke of Wesminsters estate so off limits to nosy cyclists like me!
Aldford itself is a bit 'Stepford Wives'... eerily prim and proper.
20190320_104406.jpg

Some nice Victorian buildings which all look like they were built last week, a bit odd really.
Anyhow, what a stunner of a morning and pretty much perfect cycling weather.
20190320_104512.jpg

colly

Re member eR
11 of 100

A short ride of the 'I forgot we were going out tonight' variety. So A quick run out around local roads at school kicking out time.

3.8 miles and 264ft upwards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32623156

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I met up with a mate, this morning, for a local bike path bimble. His car was in for a service near my house, so we arranged to join up by the garage.

DSC_0703.JPG

With his 2 Yr old daughter in tow, we stuck to cycle paths and 'safe' roads. Our speed was quite sedate..

DSC_0700.JPG

But still time for a play in the skateboard Park. (I really should start acting my age :laugh: )
My mate also went over the jumps, but kept all 4 wheels on the ground!

IMG_20032019_160310_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

Coffee & cake was consumed at Woodbridge Workshop café before heading around the town and back to the garage, and then homewards for me.

_20190320_151431.JPG

32 leisurely miles in warmish, but grey, weather.

https://strava.app.link/TSnVFptjdV

:smile:

8mph

Veteran
52 miles to Pushkar, India. My 13th day riding. A pleasant enough ride under normal conditions but I'm ready for a break after having cycled over a thousand miles on an old mountain bike.
I got rid of the tent that I've been carrying, so the load is 2kg lighter.
I've arrived ahead of time and will be trying to not ride for a few days now and give the bike some attention.

52 miles to Pushkar, India. My 13th day riding. A pleasant enough ride under normal conditions but I'm ready for a break after having cycled over a thousand miles on an old mountain bike.
I got rid of the tent that I've been carrying, so the load is 2kg lighter.
I've arrived ahead of time and will be trying to not ride for a few days now and give the bike some attention.
I may have missed some earlier posts but more piccys please! Sounds like an epic tour.

Seemed criminal not to get out and take advantage of a sunny and warm if breezy afternoon. Did the same ride as Monday - Littleport via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane, plus an extra loop around Littleport.

Spotted pussy willow in the hedgerows along Black Bank, so stretched out my ride a little by riding along O Furlong towards Pymoor so I could pick some sprigs to pop in a vase, as it does look so pretty.

12 miles in total, the world feels a better place compared to this morning, and I'm now enjoying a nice post-ride cuppa.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
First ride for a fortnight. Due to the high winds and a whole host of different circumstances I'd not been out on the bike for two weeks, and I was getting restless legs. While I've been off the bike, I took the opportunity to start a diet. 5.5 lbs lost in the first 10 days. Today was my chance to add some exercise to the regime, so before nipping up to Malvern for an excellent matinee performance of "The Lady Vanishes", I dragged myself out there and put in a 31 miler meandering around the Severnside lanes. Today's highlights were seeing the Severn almost breaking its banks at the top of the tide at Stonebench, and then having a couple of low flying swans squeakycreaking their way along the canal at my head height right in front of me just as I crossed the canal bridge at Frampton. I love the sound of swans in flight and a close pass is quite exhilarating.

I had someone pass me wordlessly on one of the few inclines on the route, which brought out my competitive side. He tired and slowed a little in front of me and I could tell I had it in me to leave him in my wake. At the next couple of left turns he looked back over his left shoulder to see if I was still there .... except I wasn't . I placed myself on his right hand side where he didn't see me. Then on the very last incline I dropped back just enough to get a run up and sped past him with a cheery greeting that ended "see you!". Made sure I made the most of gravity through a downhill S bend near Longney and never saw him again. Childish, I know, but every now and again it's nice to test yourself against someone who thought you weren't worth acknowledging when they went past you.

Perfect weather in Gloucestershire today. Shorts and short sleeved shirt were the right call. I'm back in the game...... 31 miles at about 13mph .... all on a Slimfast drink for breakfast. I'll take that.
Cheers, Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B, Jules H and me met at Newland. Standard run out to Trumpet with a stop at Coddington church which was open as the cleaner was at work. Nice wee church with some William Morris stain glass. Then more standard routing to Trumpet where we were expecting to meet Pete M. He turned up eventually after being delayed by a puncture. Our return route was again standard by Rushall and Much Marcle. The sun came out today and things felt properly spring like. A migrant chiffchaff agreed singing from a tree. 52 smiles

Top Bottom