Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As one of my companions commented, it was very Mork and Mindy today.

My heavy ebike is less likely to be blown off course, but I think it's more of a handful than an ordinary bike when a gust does catch it.

I could foresee trouble in my mirror when a Merc approached quickly as I approached a pinch point.

He drove around the right side of the keep left island - I didn't know whether to berate him for being reckless or congratulate him for avoiding me.

The stretch of the C2C path we used through Sunderland had quite a few large puddles, but no rain fell.

Or as my companion said, at least the weather wasn't Marti Pellow - Wet, Wet, Wet.

The quality of the ride, thankfully, exceeded the quality of his patter.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After painting I was going for a ride, but despite looking everywhere I couldn't find my mojo:sad: Dragged the car out of the garage and fiddled with that for a couple of hours. Fell asleep in front of the F1.
Grabbed the Brompton and did 1.5 miles just to stay with the ride a day challenge.
Pumped the tyres up on the Van Nic, with a day off work who knows what tomorrow will bring (apart from more painting of course!)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Early ride this morning. I'd planned an away day route, but MrsPete decided that we had to go somewhere, at lunchtime, so my plan got kyboshed :sad:
Never mind, I thought, I'll get up early for a local pedal. By 'early', I mean 03.00! I'd set my alarm for 05.00, but woke up a few hours before it and decided to get going.
After tea & porage, I set off at 03.50 :ohmy:
With a stiff North Easterly wind due, I headed straight into it, with the idea of a tailwind on the return leg.. :okay:

DSC_0679.JPG

Dawn was breaking when I was about an hour and a half into the ride.

DSC_0690.JPG

DSC_0692.JPG

Once the sun was up, the shadows across some old field lines looked lovely.

DSC_0693.JPG

And a duckpond, in Willoughby.

I knew that nowhere would be open at stupid o'clock on a Sunday, so made sure I had fluids and snack bars with me. By about 7, I was getting peckish, so stopped for a while by a canal for 2nd breakfast before enjoying, mainly, a tailwind for most of the way home.

_20190317_201748.JPG

65 miles, in bloomin' chilly weather, and a cold wind.
Lovely ride, though!

https://strava.app.link/TS4fgDPG8U

:smile:

C R

Guru
First proper ride in almost a month, due to work travel and weather.

The forecast was reasonable, cool at about 4C, and the wind not as bad as yesterday.

Out at quarter to seven, in full daylight for the first time since October, clear skies, and a feeling of spring in the air. Up Hatfield Bank, heading towards Croome, this was the view of the Malverns just past Stonehall Common.

IMG_20190317_065645333.jpg

There was a bit of a breeze, but not enough to be annoying. Onwards down Pirton, past Croome towards Defford, caught this view of the dish, with Bredon Hill, where I was heading. Wonder what they were listening to today.
IMG_20190317_071126178.jpg

I was feeling good on the bike, and I got to Eckington bridge making good time. I was expecting the river to be quite full, but it wasn't. The sun on the water made for a nice effect, though.
IMG_20190317_073018562_HDR.jpg

After a drink I set off again, past Eckington, towards Bredon, but taking the left for Woodmancote to start the climb towards Conderton, which I took easy. Then a swift descent to Beckford, and a stop for a breather and a nut bar.

Once refreshed set on the second climb of the day, past Ashton Under the Hill, and up to Kersoe, which is the highest point of the ride. This was the view towards Evesham from the top.
IMG_20190317_083006327.jpg

Another swift descent to Elmeley Castle followed, and then to Pershore quite fast again. I was a bit overenthusiastic up to here, and by the time I got to Pershore I was struggling with the inclines, and ended doing this last section quite slowly. The fact that the wind had now picked up a bit didn't help, but I need to work on my pacing.

Another metric half in the bag, 33.8 miles with an average of 12.8mph. Lovely ride for the most part, but rather tired. The map.

IMG_20190317_230221.jpg

Katherine

Guru
Seriously lacking, mojo, fitness and time to do anything about either.
Since being back on the bike and doing my first ride on new year's day, I have only been on a few group rides which I have struggled on. I had wanted to go on a solo ride today to try and do a few more miles without always trying to keep up but there was no one else to take the A ride.
So me and and one other new member braved the weather to take the shortest route to the cafe where we waited for the B group to join us after their longer route. When I arrived home at 29.9 miles, I was glad that I'd already done the March challenge so I didn't have to go round the block. I did manage to get the bike cleaned this afternoon between showers as it had got very splattered from the filthy roads. After yesterday's heavy rain, there was still a lot of surface water around. We had to avoid a couple of roads because they were still flooded.
We went to the cafe at Partridge Lakes Fisheries, in Croft not my choice, but it turned out to be lovely. Good coffee and a bacon barm for £4 - bargain, and a wood burner. I was glad that the weather forced us inside, last time I went, we were sat by the fishing lakes which was a bit smelly.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
So @PeteXXX can you understand why i go out early now ?
I was awake just after 3 myself but managed to stay restless in bed till 5 am then out i went and yes it was chilly
Indeed! I love early morning rides, too, but my body clock is set at the other end of the day. I enjoy my midnightish commutes home from work, when I ride in.
Had this one been planned, I'd have got in touch for a meet :okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
Took my BSA Tour de France on it's maiden voyage since it's very recent refurbishment (all original components apart from cables and tyres re-used. Everything else just cleaned up a bit. Truth is, this bike appears to have covered little miles and had suffered from damp storage rather than wear and tear) today to visit a local "big house" for a stroll around the gardens and then home again via a different longer route. About thirty miles in total. Bike performed perfectly although it needs a longer seatpost before I will be able to ride it comfortably. It is hilly around here and I thought I might struggle with only 42/24 bottom gear but it's fine. It rained a bit but thankfully I have mudguards fitted....
bsa1.jpg
bsa2.jpg
bsa3.jpg
bsa4.jpg
bsa6.jpg
bsa5.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Woke up and sat in bed for 15 minutes contemplating the idea of a ride today. Mojo said no, but with 2 challenge rides left and being rather fed up with decorating I dragged my sorry ass out on the Van Nic. I had a route in mind but that went out of the window after 2 miles. Ended up doing a fast ride down to Kingston Bridge, and a slow 20 miles back to Eton. Needed some extra miles to make the metric century, so battled the headwind across Eton Common, figuring a few laps of Eton Dorney would do the trick. Bad idea, overrun with Chelsea tractors as there was some sort of rowing thing going on. Back home through the park. A very flat 100.8km with just over 500m of climbing, and I'm knackered. Buggered if I know how I'm going to manage the imperial century this month, very slowly perhaps....

Took my BSA Tour de France on it's maiden voyage since it's very recent refurbishment (all original components apart from cables and tyres re-used. Everything else just cleaned up a bit. Truth is, this bike appears to have covered little miles and had suffered from damp storage rather than wear and tear) today to visit a local "big house" for a stroll around the gardens and then home again via a different longer route. About thirty miles in total. Bike performed perfectly although it needs a longer seatpost before I will be able to ride it comfortably. It is hilly around here and I thought I might struggle with only 42/24 bottom gear but it's fine. It rained a bit but thankfully I have mudguards fitted....
View attachment 458066

You've given me Bike Envy now...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
View attachment 458066 View attachment 458067 View attachment 458068 View attachment 458069 View attachment 458070 View attachment 458071

Bike looks fab, I needed a longer seat post on my TdF too.

First proper bike ride in a little while. Oh man, was it good to get out or what? :wahhey:

Waited till tea time to let the showers blow through. Ride was nothing special, just to and from Littleport along Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane plus an additional lap around Littleport - only 10 miles in total, but enjoyed every yard in the late afternoon sunshine.

There are loads of daffodils along the verges, birds were singing, the blackthorn is in bloom, St George's churchyard is a carpet of purple crocuses and to cap it all, saw a lovely rainbow. :wub:

colly

Re member eR
9 of 100

A Monday Evening Eastenders Avoidance Ride.

Out into a chilly, but not cold, windless evening. Just a few loops of the block after a frustrating day.

Oakwood Lane, Roundhay Road, Easterly Road, Oakwood Lane, x 4. Nothing to shout about other than on loop 3 it rained lightly for about 5 mins.

8.8 miles and 700 and something feet upwards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32573094

Top Bottom