Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
6 of 100

Another cool, dry, non windy evening ride. After the gales blowing today it was quite a surprise.

Not too far this evening, a loop from Oakwood, Moortown, down Stonegate Road, along Meanwood Road and back up through Harehills and Easterly Road and then home.

8.7 miles with 526 ft of skywards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32471501

pjd57

Veteran
strava5415927371041682209.jpg
I had to head to Barrhead this morning.
Not too arduous normally, but I hit some horrible weather , wind driven sleet and hail for the last few miles of the outward journey.
I had to check my phone for the street I was looking for. Not easy in horrible weather, soaking gloves and steamed up glasses.

Run home wasn't too bad rain went off for most of it.

Another six miles in the afternoon.
Soaked again.

I went to the recycling centre. It was the first day it wasn't raining and I didn't have flu.

2019_03_16_01.JPG

The local farmers are out sorting out the wood from the winter.

2019_03_16_03.JPG

Thankfully it is downhill to the next town. It's on an old US army base, right next to the control tower.

2019_03_16_04.JPG

As I was throwing the bits in, mostly a collection of wheels so worn down even I couldn't find a use for them, I realised that one was the original wheel from my Raleigh M-Trax, bought in 1997, so it's not done too badly.

They wouldn't let me throw the tyres in, so I'll have to tie them in a knot and chuck them in the main rubbish.

I don't know how I stand the excitement of this non-stop expatriate lifestyle, I really don't.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's rides:

It was pretty windy out but no rain expected so I went off to do a variation of one of my regular routes: Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Uffington, Shrewsbury and home.

The wind didn't seem as bad as the last couple of rides at the start (although the Met Office says it was gusting well over 30mph while I was out) and I got on reasonably well to Longnor where I picked up a cross-tailwind which gave a nice boost as far as Acton Burnell and improved into a proper tailwind on the way to Cressage.

At Cressage the River Severn was pretty high but still just within its banks. After climbing up to the crossroads I took a left and into the wind for a bit so was quite slow until Eyton on Severn where the lane swings round to the north. Having passed my old workplace I was onto the bridleway to Upton Magna and found myself slogging against the wind before the village then again on the way to Uffington. Like last time I risked the muddy section as it's sheltered a bit and the bike was already filthy so a bit more would make no odds.

On Sydney Avenue the river is only about a foot below the road level so if the rain in Wales is as bad as forecast today it'll likely be flooded soon. I took a roundabout route through town including going out of my way to have a look at the flood barriers going up in Frankwell, then headed through The Quarry and along Belle Vue where there was a bit of a holdup as some twit had punched a hole through the railway bridge parapet with their car last night so the road is half blocked and the railway to Welshpool is closed while temporary repairs are carried out. I hope that driver has good insurance - it's going to be a big bill for the damage and disruption to the railway.:whistle:

34.1 miles for this trip at 12.8 mph average.

P3150223.JPG

The river is very full at Cressage.

P3150224.JPG

Winding lane down to Eyton-on-Severn. Sunshine on the hills in the distance - I should have gone that way.

P3150225.JPG

Tudor folly.

P3150226.JPG

The famous roman wall at Viroconium.

P3150227.JPG

The river is high enough that the weir just becomes a disturbance in the surface.

P3150230.JPG

Flood barriers have gone up at Frankwell.

P3150231.JPG

The willows that were cut hard back last year are recovering quicker than I thought they would.

Later in the day I finally got round to fitting the new dynamo wheel and front lamp that I had for Christmas. Fitting went pretty well and I went for a couple of test rides. One just around the block to test it worked and a longer one over Lyth Hill to Condover and back after it had gone dark to get the adjustment right and see how good it was (very good I'm pleased to report). I didn't take the speedometer with me for those but it'll probably be around 6 or 7 miles extra. Fitting and wiring of the rear lamp will follow later.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M and I today. The wind had scared the others off. It seemed a good opportunity to try out the cafe at Stanford Bridge. We took to the shelter of the hills and lanes to get a fairly sheltered run out. The climb of Camp Lane was OK and the views were fine. The cafe turned out to be excellent. Cafe legs were excruciating on the restart but thankfully eased eventually. We managed to avoid the wind until the last few miles as those bits of roads are unavoidable. Did I mention the wind? It was windy. Windy wind on top of the windiness. 44 smiles

pjd57

Veteran
A couple of short local runs this morning that I wouldn't usually post, 17 miles in total.

Some of the worst weather I've cycled in for a very long time.
Windy with sleet on slushy roads.

Done by 12, stayed in the rest of the day.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just another short ride of Caldecote, Kingston and Toft.

We’ve had company for most of the day, but I’d intended to go out after 6pm when the wind is due to die down a bit. I couldn’t wait that long, I was going mad!

It was blowy alright, a couple of times I was pushed either sideways or backwards, but it was enjoyable!

A solitary Bullfinch was seen disappearing into a hedge.

9.5 miles, and a tailwind up from Toft!

Apparently the strong winds go soon....

https://www.strava.com/activities/2217731393

Old jon

Guru
Wow, the UK is having it bad. Brazil has things a little better . . .

Rides have been a bit intermittent lately. I went into a shop last Tuesday to buy a couple of guitar hangers for the two instruments I have here, and bought another instrument. A caipira, a Brazilian instrument similar to a European baroque guitar but with steel strings. And it is so much fun beginning to learn how to play it!

This morning, riding. Down that dratted hill. There is a choice of two but this one is quieter as a rule. Around stonebreaker bend and onto the track all the way along Beira Mar, passing the two bridges ‘cos I was staying on the island today. Saturday morning is busy with bikes and scooters and just vanilla walking too, it is good to see folk of all ages out and exercising. Around here there are a lot of hmm, what to call them? Open air gyms? Exercise stations? Anyway, collections of bars and treadmills ( basic ) and other stuff that folk really do use. Not just on the sea front but scattered all over the island. Anyway. Ride past the site where Carnaval was celebrated, along to the hotel and turn right to ride through Jose Mendes.

Riding through here gives me the impression of riding through a village, but with more shops and other businesses than we usually see in Yorkshire. And the road is quiet as well. Under the bridge that supports the tunnel roads, bear right and continue along a well surfaced road ( a bit of a rarity here ) with the sea to the right and a mix of houses and shops on the left. This road winds a bit but stays mostly level. Again quiet, and looking at the map later, I could have ridden further into some sort of nature reserve. Will visit soon, I hope.

But, this is turn around time, so I did just that. Yup, the same route, but so very entertaining this morning. I mentioned the exercise up post, but today I was treated to the Bombeiros doing their morning jog. This is the fire brigade, and one of the ambulance services and they also have boats, so maybe the lifeboat service too. I did feel sorry for them, running around in uniform in this heat, my garthing tells me 24 degrees. Another group of ( younger ) runners were doing loud and quick a bit further along. Before riding back to the bike track, I saw three or four motorbikes carrying surfboards. Must be fun in a breeze, or are they expecting floods? It is so different riding here, in so many ways. Back home, a short ascent up a longer hill and time for a shower after twenty one miles of riding and less than 500 feet of up. I know I was wearing a smile but why was I sweating so much?

A map, and more scenery,

16032019.jpg

more of the area

close to the beach . . .

Steep Hill.jpg

steep hill
Stonecrusher.jpg

a stonecrusher

Attachments

• Fishing Village.jpg
    Fishing Village.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Mild but windy, 20mph winds gusting to 39mph. A day for the ebike methinks, just get out there and see how it goes. Not bad at all actually, not much traffic, people or wildlife...just the wind howling in the high trees.
20 miles...and theres no doubt the assistance made the ride very very bearable...respect to anyone out there under their own power.

colly

Re member eR
7 of 100

I waited for the rain to stop / ease and I got out just after 4pm. Naturally the moment I got under way the rain set back in with a vengence. Why would Iexpect anything different?
So familiar roads past Roundhay Park, over the ring road and up the climb to Slaid Hill, all the way along Wigton Lane and Alwoodley Lane down and up past Golden Acre park and back home via the north of the reservoir.

It was a wet ride but suprisingly not particularly windy.

14.1 miles and 930 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32498890

Top Bottom