Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Around 60 miles today but maybe the toughest days ride ever, crossing the Western Ghats. Starting with 5 hours of pothole dodging and very rough roads, then 30 odd miles of highway, followed by a ride into Pune city, which seemed to take forever. Finally lots of riding around to find a hotel.
The traffic has been atrocious, just awful inconsiderate driving and I had three near misses with cars and motorbikes. The day has been hot, even the wind is hot. A very trying day indeed. I've spent a good part of the day thinking about riding on Wiltshire roads, Devon lanes and Scotland, realising how good we have it in the UK.
How much longer left to Delhi? Your adventures would probably merit a thread of their own. And again :notworthy::notworthy:

colly

Re member eR
@8mph Like the post above I am well impressed with your adventures. :okay:

8mph

Veteran
How much longer left to Delhi? Your adventures would probably merit a thread of their own. And again :notworthy::notworthy:
Adventure or misadventure ? Some of this journey has been sketchy to say the least and frankly, the best parts have been in tourist areas, the rest has been a little grim!
It's 900 miles to Delhi striking to the highways, my route should be more like 1100.
Thanks for the encouragement.

colly

Re member eR
Adventure or misadventure ? Some of this journey has been sketchy to say the least and frankly, the best parts have been in tourist areas, the rest has been a little grim!
It's 900 miles to Delhi striking to the highways, my route should be more like 1100.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Are you able to post a route map of where you've been ? Maybe when you're back ?

8mph

Veteran
Are you able to post a route map of where you've been ? Maybe when you're back ?
Definitely, I just can't get it together on my phone. I'll recreate the route on Strava when I get back and write a summary in the touring section.
A couple of nights ago I got myself stranded halfway down a mountain in the dark the road had deteriorated, traffic stopped and a 5ft snake crossed my path. I had a rather spooky night by the roadside in impenetrable jungle and couldn't get a fire together. There were animal noises close by but I'm guessing it was a pig or fox. Whatever it was it wasn't detered by the noise of me banging my metal cup against a rock and it snuffled around, close by for half the night.
Today has been overcast and good roads from Pune. Maybe 70 miles so far and 60 more to go to reach Nasik, which looks like a great place to stop for a day and enjoy the river and sights.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Oh, the insanity of it. Not Brexit, but deciding to cycle over to Martlesham to do some shopping. Today. In this wind.
The journey out was probably the quickest 6 miles I've ever covered on a bike - certainly on Patsy #3 The Hybrid.
The ride back took longer.
Much longer.
It's an exhilarating day to be out and about on a bike! ^_^

This out near Bucklesham.

photo.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Windy today. Gusts up to 50 mph forecast. Pete M and me took to the shelter of the lanes with the aim of checking out the wild daffs. Cafe in Newent fits that plan. We found lots of daffs with more still to bloom. Did I mention it was windy? 55 smiles

Mike_P

Guru
Day off work so the usual tinkering with the ebike (soldered dry? joints on battery lead replaced by bullet connectors to hopefully stop the whole thing switching off as soon as the motor starts - oddly it usually does it when leaving work for home but not when going to work:angry:, and main fixing nut refixed with lock thread) Forecasts claimed the wind would calm down after 3 so set off at twenty past on the Bilton-NCN67 Ripley-Clint Bank-Hampsthwaite loop. Still on windy side, too much pedalling needed down grade on the NCN and the cross wind on Bilton Viaduct was unpleasant. Followed a rear wheel drive ebike west of Ripley to the foot of Hollybank Lane and then the advantage of a mid drive showed as I left the other ebike standing up the climb. The wind had an unsuccessful go at propelling me into the kerb after descending Clint Bank and then up Rowden Lane in 2/3rds of my fastest time solely under pedal power
11.7 windy miles 816 assisted feet.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Out after work again, for a short ride in the blustery wind and it was one of those cyclists headwinds, seemingly in your face whichever way you go!

Followed the cycle paths up to Heathgates and then through Sundorne, onto the old canal path to Uffington, which was even muddy on the tarmac section. I didn’t try the “gravel” section, which @Rickshaw Phil confirmed is a mud fest, in his report earlier this week.

Onto roads to Upton Magna and Berwick Wharf, then the rat run to Atcham, where I had the knob of the ride make an appearance, giving me an unnecessary close and fast pass in a Caravette. Pillock.

Crossed the old bridge, at Atcham, where the River Severn is out of its banks. Flood forecasts look even worse for the weekend, which may start to cause issues on the lane to Chilton, that I used tonight.

Back home through Betton Abbots.

15.4 miles at a wind affected 11.6mph avg

colly

Re member eR
5 of 100

Late evening spin out on a local little loop. It was a lovely evening, the wind had dropped, the temperature was mild, and it was dry.

Not wanting to be out for ages I opted for a repetitive little up and down route through a local wooded area, Gledhow Valley Woods. Gledhow Lane runs down and up the other side, also nicknamed 'Little Switzerland'. I kept count and did nine down and ups and back again. Except I didn't, I only did eight. Probably because having my fingers wrapped around the bars and the gear levers etc it's hard to keep count.

It wasn't fast and I didn't intend it to be but it was hilly. 11.9 miles and 1900+ ft of clambering upwards. Geared bike.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32448033

Last edited:
After waiting the last 3 days for the winds to ease I decided to go out early for one of my two usual routes. I favoured my hilly route over the flat route as I thought it would give me better cover from crosswinds, it did. Due to the wind being 28mph it did hamper parts of my ride so averaged 16.3mph. On a good day I`d do about 17.3mph on that route, but not bothered really, I was out again. No sudden gusts and home safely.
Oh I forgot. I had to carry the bike a few yards as workman were cutting up the road in order to repair potholes. At least my arm muscles got some exercise !

Last edited:
Top Bottom