Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Screenshot (299).png Screenshot (300).png

Just under 20 miles (I think) today. Very enjoyable, didn't try and beat any records as a bit of a wind (nothing major) against me coming back into Chester, and it's exposed along the Dee.

56757382_2028279367468009_4587289934171209728_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

56547423_2028279520801327_6391912802562342912_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

56481802_2028279564134656_7997723258319273984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

56485640_2028279714134641_7644141411410903040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Screenshot (299).png
Screenshot (300).png

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yes there’s lots of nice places to cycle, the nature reserve at Furbers is a work in progress think it will take some time to clean it up although it is mostly clear of bits of cars now.

Cavalol

Guru
Yes there’s lots of nice places to cycle, the nature reserve at Furbers is a work in progress think it will take some time to clean it up although it is mostly clear of bits of cars now.

Mostly? Mind you, there were hundreds and hundreds over the years I suppose. Might go for a drive up this week and see if it's dog (on a lead) friendly.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Mostly? Mind you, there were hundreds and hundreds over the years I suppose. Might go for a drive up this week and see if it's dog (on a lead) friendly.
Whixall Moss is dog friendly, on a lead , which is next to what was Furbers and the canal is also a nice dog walk

Old jon

Guru
Back again. For the last fortnight we have had guests, and we have travelled around a bit of Brazil with them. Three thousand kilometres, almost, so not on a bike or I would be fit indeed. A bit of perspective, if Brazil was the back of your hand, our trip just about covered the knuckle of your little finger. Large amounts of fun were had, and I may have had a drink or many.

More or less normally, the bike was given a ride this morning. After such a long layoff the descent from the apartment was slightly more daunting than usual, as was the bend that leads off the bridge. Then I realised I had not turned the garthing on. Oh well, stop and check everything to find out what else had been forgotten. And then pedal along Beira Mar as far as the new bridge. Yesterday was a bit dim and murky, by the standards of Florianopolis. Today was bright and sunny and lots of people were out on bikes, and I would guess they were not going to work. So, across the bridge to the mainland and turn right. This is north, bending a bit west towards Estreito, on another bike track that borders the beach until it ends at a road junction. So I turned right towards the beach which only qualifies as a beach ‘cos it has sand and the sea is along one side. T’other side is back yard fences and at least one car respray shop. Anyway, a bit of messing around and I chose to head more or less south.

My navigating hat was not on my head, I thought I would have ridden past most of the town by now. OK, keep riding till you see a sign. They are often invisible, or just not there at all, and when I finally saw a direction sign it pointed into the middle of a junction of five or six busy roads. Not encouraging, so the right hand road was chosen. Followed by an interesting ride towards Sao Jose which took me a bit further around the coast than I realised. I got lost!

Sort of lost, anyway. The sea is a pretty good guide around here and only an idiot would ride the wrong way along the coast. So I rode the wrong way along the coast, and turned around just before I reached Sao Jose. This extended my ride by a bit, but there was no distance planned in my somnolent mind. Found the bridge, after some new to me roads were ridden. Back home along an often ridden track along Beira Mar, the scenery changes constantly and it is pretty level, albeit with the wind in my face for a change. The bottom of ‘orrible ‘ill was reached after 23 and a bit miles which also featured 1145 feet of up. Big grin for the first ride in a while.

Losing the track map

09042019.jpg

8mph

Veteran
Had a short ride into town to look for some toe clips. 3 minutes into my ride I passed a cyclist who was having a mechanical problem so I turned back to see if he was OK. We ended up fixing his broken chain with my new Park tools multi tool which arrived in the post last week!
None of the bike shops in Swindon had toe clips but it's a nice city to
ride through, not too congested and smooth, wide roads. It's a
beautiful evening and I'm starting to feel quite comfortable on a road bike and enjoying the speed! Poor old touring bike hasn't been ridden this year.

Last edited:
Commute in today and first ride with the new oval chainrings; first impressions are good and still keeping a good speed up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2278793191

View attachment 461755 View attachment 461756

I have no idea about oval chain rings, but that is a very pretty bike...

pjd57

Veteran
I've had a brilliant day in Orkney.
Flew up from Edinburgh this morning , getting our grandson home .
Usually it's bus and boat but he has been wanting me to cycle up here with him.

Picked up a hire bike from Orkney cycles before 12 , a Giant road bike.

We settled on heading from Kirkwall to the Italian Chapel.
strava1863353697259367885.jpg

No sunshine here today and a bit cold.
Straight route with very few flat bits , but the boy coped.

IMG_20190410_130203605_HDR.jpg

The Churchill barriers leading to the Italian Chapel
IMG_20190410_131606485.jpg

after a rest for the wee guy back home in Kirkwall we done another couple of shorter local runs and stopped off at St Magnus Cathedral
IMG_20190410_162724520_HDR.jpg

it has been a great day out.
I'm on a midnight boat back down to Aberdeen , then a bus home to Glasgow for 11 tomorrow morning.

So after talking about this adventure for years, we done it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_162933370.jpg
    IMG_20190410_162933370.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
What a glorious day here in the South Pennines.

Time was at a premium today but I managed to get in a very enjoyable 14 mile local loop on my mtb.
Only a short ride but it had lots of variety - canal towpath, grassy common, woodland trail, a tough little climb to high moorland and an exhilarating long dirt road descent!
The trees at Healey Dell look to be just a week away before all the leaves appear. I noticed the tracks were very dry since the last heavy early spring/winter rain. Almost as dry as they were during the long hot summer of last year. Great for riding on.

My route was Littleborough - Rochdale - Healey Dell - Whitworth - Syke - Wardle - Shore - Littleborough.

Here are a few pictures.

Trees at Healey Dell.jpg
Bridge over Healey Dell.jpg
Track over Syke Moor.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B, Pete M, Jules H and me met up at Powick. John was our leader and then plan was for The Den. He lead us a fairly standard route. Jules wasn't feeling good after Ockeridge so headed back. We refreshed ourselves at The Den and John changed route as we didn't need to accommodate Jules now. Pete was dropped off at Old Colwall near his home while John and I head south to round that end of the Hills. Quite brisk riding today and the cold North wind was quite hindering at times. 65 smiles

geocycle

Legendary Member
Just back from three day Lake District Loop. Wonderful ride along an updated Cumbria cycle way. Some serious climbs but avoided the macho passes! Found some new roads even though I’ve lived in the NW for 25 years.

Attachments

• 7634594F-677D-45BC-9A8D-2A9367643845.jpeg
    7634594F-677D-45BC-9A8D-2A9367643845.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 13

Old jon

Guru
Another bright morning here, there was no need of any persuasion at all to go for a ride. There was, however, a need to decide where to go on the bike. Down the hill, ‘cos the road goes no higher than here. But after that?

The choice was south. An easy start to the ride by taking the flattest direction, along the bike path that borders the beach. It is a good, wide, bike path. As a Renault driver demonstrated, coming straight towards me before I had travelled fifty yards along the track. There was room enough on the path, but there was much more unfilled space between his ears. Pillock.

Not going to allow one of those to spoil a bike ride, on I pedalled. Past bridges old and new, the overflow bus park and along to the T junction, where I turned right towards Jose Mendes. Which is a place, not a bloke. Even streets here are named after people, along with their qualifications or social position. Not such a bad idea, really. A friend once lived on Kentmere Approach, ( Leeds ) or street or whichever. We once walked the Kentmere Round together, Lakes, just because of his address, eighty miles east. Anyway, ride through the place, under the tunnel roads and bear right onto a road that leads to Costeira do Pirajube. Online translate returns no sensible answer, and our lass ain’t here so I cannot tell anyone what the name might mean. But here is a bit of the approach road.

What it meant for the ride was time to turn around. A vague idea to explore further south of the island was forgotten, the traffic on the road I had intended to ride was at a standstill. After a munch and a drink standstill was still the word, so I headed home. Unfamiliar roads are great! On the way out I was thinking my speed was pretty good. Then I had to climb the little inclines that had produced that velocity. Ah well.

All the way back, a welcome breeze, views across the water and indeed all around. Oh! Almost forgot. There are more bikes with knobbly tyres here than I have seen anywhere else on tarmac. Most of them wear super wide handlebars that do not look comfortable, but maybe they are. A rider today had super wide bars, vertical bar extensions ( if that’s what they are called ) and what I think are known as TT bars bolted on to the whole lot. Those bars where you rest your forearms in a pair of lengths of guttering. He certainly had a choice of hand positions. The smile lasted all the way home, twenty two miles after starting.

And the map, which has shown a potential circular route . . .

11042019.jpg

Top Bottom