Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We’ve made the best of a crappy day in South Cambs.

We got the Thorn tandem out for the first time in ages and rolled down Madingley Hill and into town. We left the bike safe and sound hidden away in my work. We walked down Botolph Lane and saw the pair of Peregrines on the Pitt building. The male flew off, the female dropped down behind the wall, hopefully egg laying is afoot!
We walked to the botanic garden.... Jo has free passes from work! We saw a great sparrow hawk in the gardens.
Crown imperial Fritillary
7CDAE2AB-82CC-459B-8D97-27B4BBBBA18D.jpeg

Pulsatilla
DBD8F690-92B0-45C2-98BA-A3139200D964.jpeg

Auricula scorcher
9B5D17A2-2E27-42B9-9EE2-AD01044485C1.jpeg

Vanda
E71B1B69-FE2A-4BC8-90D4-95E4CE16690A.jpeg

Strongylodon (jade vine)
03160151-1A1E-4279-8D5C-8E7D7669D85C.jpeg

09A03D20-B6C4-454C-82F4-AF30609686D6.jpeg

Passion flower
2C6F010B-2A07-4385-9851-5CCE7002AFA7.jpeg

We then went for lunch at a tapas restaurant. It was lovely, but it would be cheaper to fly to Spain!
93D9367E-4000-4DC6-AE3F-9D645A6D9F11.jpeg

Then we cycled home via Barton, Comberton and Toft in Cold rain and a headwind.

Maybe 15 miles cycled.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterday's metric half, I was time limited today with just an hour or so to fill.

Coal Road to Skeltons Lane, then the long descent into Thorner, up Main Street and onto Milner Lane.
The climb onto the ridge never seems to get any easier and then along between the hedges to the junction with Holme Farm Lane. Spotted I'd taken 28 minutes to get to this point, so decided against going any further and looped around the junction and headed back into Thorner.
In the village it was a left off Main Street onto Carr Lane for the less punishing climb out of there, up, down and then more up to the A58. Along there to Coal Road, another climb up there and once levelled out across the mini roundabout, before taking local roads down to home.

11.23 miles (18.07 km) in 57 mins at an average of 11.9 mph with 535 ft climbed and an average temperature of 6.0°C

All good, today's motorists were generally behaving and there were a fair few other cyclists out and about. Would have been nice to be out for longer, but they all count don't they?

Sorry, no pics today as it was greyer than a grey thing. But here's the map to end:
07042019.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Another day another challenge ride today's it's time for a 50km ride . I have 2 standard 50km loops one hillier than the other so I went for the less hilly after yesterday's big day .Lazy morning so out the door at 10.00 . Anstey ,Cropston spotted a friend Joff riding the otherway cheery greetings were exchanged :hello:Rothley ,Cossington into Sileby where my normal route was blocked due to resurfacing . Quick chat with a workman and I'm allowed to walk by :thumbsup:. Back on the bike up to Seagrave and the long climb of Berrycotts lane .Into Wymeswold via narrow lane .Hoton ,Barrow ,Quorn ,Rothley and home . 31.8 miles in the bag another challenge ticked off . Wind wasn't as bad as yesterday and a tad warmer but no sunshine at all . 143 miles for a weekend so the legs are a bit achey . But day off work tomorrow ^_^ so the legs may suffer more :bicycle:again

Last edited:
Club ride today to Clandon.
Went down through Pyrford and Ripley, up Hungry Hill, then up Staple Lane, Down Combe Lane, and up Newlands Corner from the south.

Suitably refreshed, home a new way via Merrow, Jacob’s Well, mayford.

47.1 miles @15.2 mph 1969 feet climbed. Good workout

Edit
Garmin said I did a new FTP, load of rubbish, however average power over whole ride 172W. Normalised power 192W

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've not done a longish Road ride for a while, so, on yesterday's commute home, at 22.45, I set off in the opposite direction to home, and made my 12.5 miles a lot further.

DSC_0802.JPG

Through Cranford St John, towards Grafton Underwood and Slapton before heading through Kimbolton. One Rwgps hiccup was it telling me to ride a mile or so across a farm track in the pitch dark.. Not on 23mm Conti's thank you very much :laugh:

Never mind, there was a 'proper' road to use with only about a mile extra to ride.

DSC_0805.JPG

I had a red banana stop just after midnight, and a drink before turning homewards with a bit of a tailwind.

DSC_0807.JPG

Feeling like I needed a boost for the last 15 miles, I popped into the 24hr McDonald's for a Hot Choccy and to warm my toes up. It was quite nippy at 03.00!!

_20190407_115554.JPG

Back home by 04.00 ish, on 63 miles, to complete my Metric Ton for April.

https://strava.app.link/RU5Q9FJmHV

:smile:

Mike_P

Guru
Similar ride but shortened on the Defy to last Sundays; Strava today did record the climb of Cornwall Road and the smooth surface has increased my progress up it by 16 seconds. Without any one to chase the climb of Shaw Lane was done at slightly more sensible pace 12 seconds slower with the distinct advantage that the following Strava sector along Briscoe Ridge Lane was 1 min 41 seconds faster. Instead of descending through Braythorn to Leathley I headed east to Almscliffe Crag
Almscliffe Crag2.jpg

And from their descended to Huby heading downhill in the village straight into the wind:cold:
Huby.jpg

Straight across the A658 and into Weeton seemingly entering the village twice:eek:
Weeton.jpg

Weeton2.jpg

Thence Dunkeswick the climb into Kirby Overblow, and north to Pannal, the drive careful notice was obviously taken seriously by the car following which finally overtook after numerous chances to do so
Pannal.jpg

and the climbs of Spring Lane and up Rossett Green.
Rossett G.jpg

Turned into a wet end to the ride, the final bit being direct homewards rather than the intended loop with the waterproof top dug out of the back pocket:rain:
25.39miles 1910ft climbed Avg 12.2 mph
7-4 route.jpg
7-4 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
yesterday picked up the new bikes so todays ride was getting a feel of them ^_^ short ride to Barnard castle .. late start as this morning was drizzle and cold by 12-30 sunshine appeared, so got the g/f motivated nice steady ride stopping to tweak g/f bike ...stopped at out fav coffee stop the teesdale café for cake+coffee :whistle:... on the return leg got very wet and cold (rain+hail) so got a shift on to get back as quick oa poss ...:laugh: back in aycvliffe half amile from home missed a broken bottle on the cycle path caught it with front wheel :sad::sad: so new bike been christened ...:ohmy:still it was soon mended al told 42 miles and the new bikes are awesome :biggrin::biggrin:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2273039388

WP_20190407_006.jpg

WP_20190407_007.jpg

WP_20190407_008.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
This was the first weekend in what seems like ages where I managed to get out both days, Saturdays ride was a quick trip round the lanes of Whixall which covers a large area of this part of Shropshire with miles of lanes and very little traffic, 19 miles done in the spring sunshine, 16mph average speed. Today I went in the other direction towards Loppington through to Nonely, Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere, Lyneal and a short loop into Whixall to finish, 26 miles done with more hills than yesterday and less sunshine 15.8mph average speed.

C R

Guru
Another Sunday and another 50+ k ride planned. The day was forecast to be dull and gray, but not cold or windy, which makes a nice difference.

Plan was to go up the Wyche road in Malvern, but with variations on my usual route.

Out at about twenty to seven, with plenty of daylight. Headed towards Powick via the Carrington bridge and the path next to the southern ring road, I really hate this path, but the other alternative adds a bit of distance which I wanted to keep for later.

I usually go via Bransford and Leigh Sinton, but today I decided to try the direct route via the A449. This is a quicker route, and easier than I had expected up to the middle of Malvern Link, however, the last bit after the train Station, and up to the Leigh Sinton turn was quite hard work.

I got a bit of a rest at Great Malvern, and then continued for the second part of the climb up the Wyche Road, took it steady, and I thought I had been slower than the previous time, but when I later checked I was actually 50 seconds faster. I stopped past the cutting for a drink and a nut bar, and then continued towards British Camp. I was hoping that the café might be open, but it was still too early.

I took again the A449, down the hill towards Ledbury, and new territory for me on the bike. I run out of gears a couple of times during the descent, which gave my legs a bit of a rest. Just before Ledbury I took the left for Eastnor, continuing the descent and making good progress down to the castle entrance.

Past the castle started the second climb of the day towards Holybush. Again taking it steady. Past the top of the hill took the lane on the left to start heading to Welland. The lane goes past a few fields at the top, full of lambs and sheep. Now I had a bit of a headwind, but it wasn't too annoying. It was left for Welland at the end of the lane, and a nice straight for just pedalling. Then a right for Upton and back into familiar territory.

Upton came quick, and no temporary lights in the flood barrier works today, so made good time here too. Then came Earls Croome, and up the short hill at Kinnersley, which felt a lot harder work than the Wyche road! My legs by now were starting to feel heavy, so just took i easy up Pirton, and then down Hatfield Bank for home.

Just under 35miles at 13mph. No photos as I was enjoying the riding too much to stop.

The map
IMG_20190407_211216.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2019-04-09 22.54.00.jpg
10 mile 2 up TT on Saturday with the other half.She did ok considering she has been a bit under the weather of late.Was only a small club TT. But we where the first mixed team home. Only by 5secs. But thats still good in my book. It was nice at the end we all had a couple of beers in the local pub. Had a lazy day today. Just cleaned the bike.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday's ride was with the family around Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire. We rode about 12 (mostly off-road) miles geocaching. In the end, we found 16 geocaches. There must be well over a hundred in the park (it's a big park). The main object of the exercise was for my daughter to practise going clipless. She's 7 and is finally big enough for some size 1 MTB shoes which I got for £20 secondhand (£50 new). I added some SH-56 multiway cleats, and to the bike borrowed double-sided clipless pedals (the type with the plastic casing around making it the size of a flat pedal) until she gets used to them then we'll move on to some more compact Shimano M320s (or Boardman equivalents). I put the tension on the loosest setting.

By ostensibly geocaching in an area with so many geocaches tightly grouped together, we were constantly stopping and starting. I also threw in a few 'stop a minute, dad's got to check which path to take next' on the longer stretches. The result was lots of clipping in and out. By the end, daughter was an expert. After her left foot unclipped by itself a couple of times, I increased the tension by half a turn on both pedals which solved the problem.

The wider and single track paths were bone dry and wonderful to ride on. The section near the caravan park gave us lots of technical skills practice as we wove through the densely-grouped trees. We stayed away from the busiest areas of the park, but still saw quite a few people about, walking or cycling.

For those interested, Clumber Park is a National Trust property near Worksop which is great for families and cycling. There are several roads, some of which are car-free, suitable for road bikes. MTBs, CX/gravel are suitable for the rest and there's cycle hire and a café available too. A great time to go is when we've had a mini-drought as the discoloured grass shows the layout of the no-longer-standing Clumber House foundations.

13 rider

Guru
So a day off work ^_^ time for a :bicycle:. Today is my 400th consecutive day off riding so to celebrate I treated myself to breakfast . With my favourite cafe Nice Pie closed on a Monday ,Sutton Wharf became the cafe of choice some 18 miles away on the route I had chosen . Out the door just after 0900 it became obvious I would have a favourable wind on the way so I set myself a target to see if I could get there in an hour . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Groby ,Ratby where I found my route blocked by a road closure for the second day running . A quick chat with the workman and I'm allowed through again :angel:.Had to walk past the machinery but soon back pushing on . Newbold Heath ,Market Bosworth into Sutton Cheney flying downhill to the cafe as the hour approached ,rolled onto the car park 35 seconds over the hour :banghead: without the walking I would have made it . A nice relaxed stop a lovely full English :hungry: and a coffee :cuppa: were consumed . The second half of the ride was much more relaxed but still an effort due to mainly headwinds home . Shenton ,Market Bosworth ,Carlton ,Nailstone ,Bagworth ,Thornton ,Markfield and home 36 miles done got home just as the sun's coming out . Enjoyable ride strangely really enjoyed pushing my limit for the first hour in which I covered 18.2 miles and climbed 950ft then enjoyed the relaxed pace coming home definitely a ride of 2 halves

8mph

Veteran
Managed a 60 miler st weekend, my second longest ever ride and longest for nearly 5 years

Very happy with that, I barely ridden in the last three years so this is great news for me

As you can tell I'm quite happy with myself :smile:
:okay: Good going!

Top Bottom