Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first bike ride since my release (no, I've not been in E Wing at her Maj's pleasure, I'm on leave working out my notice, having finally left the rat race). Rather good it was too. 31 miles pottering about the lanes South of Gloucester, turning down every little side road that I normally ignore. You can do that when you have all the time in the world. Mrs Donger is still working for the moment, so I shall never again have a set time to get back home by on my weekday rides.

I nipped in to my LBS yesterday, and the guy kindly adjusted my brakes for me for no charge. That was a result. I'm set up for a bit more cycling over the next few days now...... so long as the weather behaves itself.
Cheers, Donger.

8mph

Veteran
Today I was in Dorset, so I took a short detour and found Blissford Hill, which has a maximum gradient of 25%.
Described as a "wall", it's actually a very short ride, I drove up afterwards and it took about 6 seconds from the start of the steep bit to the brow of the hill. I did 7 runs and called it a day.

My first bike ride since my release (no, I've not been in E Wing at her Maj's pleasure, I'm on leave working out my notice, having finally left the rat race). Rather good it was too. 31 miles pottering about the lanes South of Gloucester, turning down every little side road that I normally ignore. You can do that when you have all the time in the world. Mrs Donger is still working for the moment, so I shall never again have a set time to get back home by on my weekday rides.

I nipped in to my LBS yesterday, and the guy kindly adjusted my brakes for me for no charge. That was a result. I'm set up for a bit more cycling over the next few days now...... so long as the weather behaves itself.
Cheers, Donger.
Is`nt it wonderful getting out of the rat race, the stress gets worse as you get older. When I was at work I went out for 5 mile rides some lunchtime just to get away from the place, I only had 30mins lunch. Once a week I would get an hour but that was my late shift so I`d get perhaps a 12 mile ride in. Now however it is wonderful, I just pick the time, the weather and other commitments permitting. I still like to be back at a certain time as my wife worries because of traffic. Enjoy your new found time, it will pass faster than when you were at work, I`am sure.

Had to go and pick something up from the post office depot in Ely, so figured that I could just as well use Wiggy #2, the Chartres, as I wanted to do a post-fettling ride to see if the work I did helped. Or not... :whistle:

So a 10-ish mile ride into Ely and back, via Downham Common, California, the drag up to Orwell Pit, over the A10 and along the Prickwillow Road to Cresswell's Lane. Came back via the centre of town, past Bray's Lane and down Newnham Street, then retraced my wheel tracks. Was a tad blustery out there this afternoon, but even allowing for a heavier bike, the Chartres munched the terrain like a pro.

Had to stop on the way out to raise the saddle a smidge - the cockpit is 95% where I want it now, and the fettling I did yesterday on the rear gears has them working like a dream. :dance:

Happy Reynard. :wahhey: This bike is just the ticket for this sort of thing, it's everything I wanted it to be. :wub: Plus they were admiring it in the post office. :blush: A big thanks to @wanda2010 for letting me give it a home. :smile:

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today wanted to join Freewheel North for their longer Friday ride.
I was looking forward to it, I'm not often off on a Friday, their routes are cracking.
I missed them, because they changed the starting time to summer hours and I didn't know :sad:
Never mind, went for a wee ride myself exploring a part of town I'm not familiar with.
Along the Clyde then under the Clyde!
We have a pedestrian/cyclist tunnel that goes under the River, from the West end to the South side: it a bit ... ahem ... dingy, but it serves its purpose.
The southbound exit for bikes:
IMG_20190405_114720016.jpg

I landed in Govan, not a place I ride to very often, while the wind had fairly picked up.
Retracing my way to the riverbank was a battle, the route is flat but it felt like climbing a long hill because of the wind.
I discovered a previously unknown landmark, the "Stones of Govan", clearly signposted but inaccessible for some construction works.
What I did get to see is the view of the Riverside Museum from the back, the Tall Ship anchored in front of it.
IMG_20190405_115816534.jpg
IMG_20190405_115709234.jpg

A couple of miles on road (the cycle path south of the Clyde has not been completed yet), then I was at the Science Centre/Imax Complex:
IMG_20190405_121824921.jpg
IMG_20190405_121849788.jpg
IMG_20190405_122025501.jpg

From there to home it was a struggle against the wind, my face is sore now!

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday after w*rk ride. A new pair of winter longs had arrived in the post which seemed to have brought the sun out for a bit, but it was still cold enough to try them out. The summer bike is back on road so it was time to see how well it goes up hill. I set out west aided by a stiff easterly tailwind for the Swire, Selkirkshire's version of Alpe d'Huez. I climbed through the snow line as I reached the summit.

swire050419.jpeg

Looking back the way to the north. There was six inches of snow here on Wednesday!

IMG_20190405_173627[1].jpg

Note to self. Polishing the frame with Mr Sheen and forgetting to clean the brake tracks afterwards is an interesting way of getting fast Strava times on downhill segments. :okay:

Fortunately the easterly wind had abated slightly on the way home.
The map etc

upload_2019-4-6_10-11-41.png

29.7 miles @ 14.9mph 556m up and down.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night we left the car at my work. We went to a Cambridge literary festival thing with Tracy Thorn from Everything but the girl, then we were supposed to go and see Half man half biscuit but it was cancelled due to band member illness. So we had a few drinks... not too many.

Out on the tandem, by heck the wind was icy. Not strong, but really cold!

Before we got to Toft we’d seen our first Swallow of 2019 flying low over the fields. On through Kingston and the Eversdens, then up over Chapel Hill from Haslingfield to Barrington. Our fastest decent, but still only 337th on Strava!

Interestingly, Jo recorded a higher speed than me despite being on the same bike?!

Through Fowlmere and Thriplow and into Shelford where we had words with a driver who gave us a stupid close pass on a blind bend.

From Grantchester we went through the lanes, the quiet way into town. Middleton Cottage is where the car was. There is a lovely old cherry tree in the garden. I couldn’t resist a pic of it and the bike...
E530461F-8732-49A7-A08C-4F9EDD71DEB0.jpeg

The building in the background is Ridley Hall college, it’s an ecclesiastical college. You see a lot of young, dog collared vicars cycling around Cambridge.

25 cold miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2268604585/

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
3D6892B8-FB45-4AE8-9DC4-B4C4081E8CFC.jpeg
D91F548B-E3EF-464E-825D-000E36C85728.jpeg
4570B5C2-BF63-48B5-A38E-DA8EB292ECC2.jpeg

First ride today on my new (second hand) single speed. I’ve been fixing this bike up with new mini v brakes which are excellent, new tyres, saddle, bar tape and a thorough clean, T Cut and polish. I’m delighted with it, really enjoyed riding single speed, the bike is so silent.
19.6 miles with an average of 16.1 mph, lovely ride.

Todays route.jpg After two days rest from cycling ( due to other commitments) I was eager to try a new route or at least part of it was. It can be a bit boring going over the same ground but then I do tend to cycle without too much traffic. I set off down to Combs Ford and then out past Stowmarket Golf club and then onto Buxhall (part of usual route). At Buxhall instead of turning to Rattlesden I headed towards Hitcham on a very quiet road. I have cycled this road about 20 odd years ago when I lived at Hadleigh. This road runs virtually parallel to the much busier B1115 which claimed a cyclist`s life a year or so back, at least the lorry that hit him from behind did. The road ends up via Dale Road at Hitcham and then I took a right to Brettenham , where the River Brett rises. If the sun had been out it would have been lovely but instead it a was grey murk as Carol the weather girl would say and also feeling chilly at 7oC with a 9mph NE breeze. The route is fairly flat and I passed Buckenham private school and then through Brettenham and across High Town Green ( where did they get that name from ? no town, no green (that I could see) but I will give them their due, View attachment 461072 it was High ! Continuing on and past the 447th Bomb Group Memorial ( next time I will take a camera) and eventually turning east to Rattlesden and then following the same road as the outward journey. All in all it was 24.8 mile and I had told the wife I`d be home about 11.20 and it was 11.20 when I raised the garage door. A good ride and I did`nt get wet this time, like Wednesday.
As a foot note what lovely road and place names we have. As already mentioned High Town Green and I saw Buggs Lane, Louise Lane, Baby Lane, Hares Road, Top Road and I take it there is a Bottom Road ? There were probably more. I will have to sniff out the most obsure or insensible. A good round to have in Pointless !

Last edited:
View attachment 461054 View attachment 461055 View attachment 461056

First ride today on my new (second hand) single speed. I’ve been fixing this bike up with new mini v brakes which are excellent, new tyres, saddle, bar tape and a thorough clean, T Cut and polish. I’m delighted with it, really enjoyed riding single speed, the bike is so silent.
19.6 miles with an average of 16.1 mph, lovely ride.
I like the silent bit. My bike is silent, it`s just me that is`nt. I like the look of the bike, a bit different.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Ok went to Otley 23 miles.Shorts,oh boy that was a mistake,other cyclists out long bibs.So i got to Bramhope and stopped,turned off the phone and was going back home.But no i plodded on and got to Otley.It's the first time i have not smiled when i got to the Welcome to Otley stone.So a couple of lattes,a pie in memory of Vernon and a tootle back,with cycling app on.Home and tried to download to Strava,taken to a page to pay.£2-49 i already have a Strava page,but this app has hardly used any of the battery,but as i continued to find info how to pay,up comes a warning telling me not safe don't give out details.Shame about that it seemed a good app,so now i have removed it and the search goes on.Not a bad ride bit cool but averaged 11.6mph.

Katherine

Guru
Yesterday was my longest ride since last September! I did 52 miles.
Very slow in horrible headwinds on the way out. Taking lots of photos, including several for the various photo challenges on here, were great excuses for stopping for a break from the relentless wind - I have windburn.

Waugh Brow Farm was closed but luckily the Barnshaw Smithy - between Knutsford and Ashley, were open and their coffee was very good. The bacon barm and their coconut, lemon and blueberry cake was also good.
PSX_20190406_104758.jpg

I reversed my route so that I went through Irlam,
PSX_20190406_101717.jpg

Knutsford, Lowton and Mosley Common in alphabetical order for the ABC challenge.
Unfortunately, where the cycle path on the Cadishead Way runs out, I was just about to join the road when I noticed that one of the lanes was coned off and I didn't want to be close passed by traffic that coudn't get passed, so I did a loop back through Hollins Green where I often pass this lovely pub with a marker for the End to End LEJOG JOGLE
PSX_20190406_102750.jpg

and round Dam Lane where I was able to approach Warburton Bridge from the opposite direction.
I also took the time to investigate some of the interesting features I passed. I do like reading the boards that explain the historical information about what you are looking at.
Just off the Cadishead Way is this board for this sculpture on the roundabout that I had never known before.
PSX_20190406_102243.jpg

PSX_20190406_102139.jpg

In Knutsford I learnt about the old market hall,
PSX_20190406_104051.jpg

and watched some planes.
PSX_20190406_103942.jpg

It was so lovely to get out onto the country lanes and see the lambs in the fields, the spring flowers in the hedgerows, the deer in Tatton Park and just admire enjoy the views.
PSX_20190406_103619.jpg

From Lymm, taking the route to Tatton Park via Rostherne, I mostly had the lanes to myself.
It was somewhat quicker on the way home, in fact, with the wind behind me and all junctions clear or on green, on leaving the cafe I didn't stop pedaling all the way through Ashley and Dunham until the just before Warburton Bridge where I caught up with the beginning of the queue of traffic. So I had a quick stop at the bus stop to have some of the chocolate brownie I'd bought at the cafe.
Then it was a quick wriggle past the cars, sprint (don't forget the wind was behind me and I had a sugar rush from the brownie) up the bridge and zoom down to the lights, just getting through before they changed. I soon turned off to go through Hollins Green again to avoid the traffic. At Glazebrook, the road was quiet and I didn't catch up with the traffic again until I got to Culcheth, but going left to Lowton and onto the path on the A580 meant I avoided any more queues.
Mosley Common was a mining area.
IMG_20190405_163947032_HDR.jpg

PSX_20190406_105520.jpg

Top Bottom