Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. gavgav

gavgav Guru

Out after work again, for a short ride in the blustery wind and it was one of those cyclists headwinds, seemingly in your face whichever way you go!

Followed the cycle paths up to Heathgates and then through Sundorne, onto the old canal path to Uffington, which was even muddy on the tarmac section. I didn’t try the “gravel” section, which @Rickshaw Phil confirmed is a mud fest, in his report earlier this week.

Onto roads to Upton Magna and Berwick Wharf, then the rat run to Atcham, where I had the knob of the ride make an appearance, giving me an unnecessary close and fast pass in a Caravette. Pillock.

Crossed the old bridge, at Atcham, where the River Severn is out of its banks. Flood forecasts look even worse for the weekend, which may start to cause issues on the lane to Chilton, that I used tonight.

Back home through Betton Abbots.

15.4 miles at a wind affected 11.6mph avg

2. colly

colly Re member eR

5 of 100

Late evening spin out on a local little loop. It was a lovely evening, the wind had dropped, the temperature was mild, and it was dry.

Not wanting to be out for ages I opted for a repetitive little up and down route through a local wooded area, Gledhow Valley Woods. Gledhow Lane runs down and up the other side, also nicknamed 'Little Switzerland'. I kept count and did nine down and ups and back again. Except I didn't, I only did eight. Probably because having my fingers wrapped around the bars and the gear levers etc it's hard to keep count.

It wasn't fast and I didn't intend it to be but it was hilly. 11.9 miles and 1900+ ft of clambering upwards. Geared bike.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32448033

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
  3. 8mph

8mph Senior Member

Nasik to Dhule 98 miles. A good road and overcast weather. Just under 9 hours. I haven't found a hotel so I may have to carry on for a while and end the day in my tent.

4. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Active Member

After waiting the last 3 days for the winds to ease I decided to go out early for one of my two usual routes. I favoured my hilly route over the flat route as I thought it would give me better cover from crosswinds, it did. Due to the wind being 28mph it did hamper parts of my ride so averaged 16.3mph. On a good day I`d do about 17.3mph on that route, but not bothered really, I was out again. No sudden gusts and home safely.
    Oh I forgot. I had to carry the bike a few yards as workman were cutting up the road in order to repair potholes. At least my arm muscles got some exercise !

5. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Still windy. Lots of rain this morning so I waited till it blew through. Another White Rabbit outing as time was short. Lots of water in the Severn which is just about still in its banks. The lane at Upton-on-Severn had a small flood but nothing an intrepid pedaller couldn't deal with. When will this horrid weather pass? 35 smiles.

Dark46, CarlP, Pat "5mph" and 17 others like this.
  6. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Still windy. Still decorating, still not in the mood for the bike. 1.3 miles to Screwfix tonight for a light fitting. Still in the ride a day challenge....

NorthernDave, Dark46, CarlP and 15 others like this.
  7. colly

colly Re member eR

6 of 100

Another cool, dry, non windy evening ride. After the gales blowing today it was quite a surprise.

Not too far this evening, a loop from Oakwood, Moortown, down Stonegate Road, along Meanwood Road and back up through Harehills and Easterly Road and then home.

8.7 miles with 526 ft of skywards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32471501

NorthernDave, Dark46, CarlP and 13 others like this.
  8. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

strava5415927371041682209.jpg strava5415927371041682209.jpg strava5415927371041682209.jpg I had to head to Barrhead this morning.
    Not too arduous normally, but I hit some horrible weather , wind driven sleet and hail for the last few miles of the outward journey.
    I had to check my phone for the street I was looking for. Not easy in horrible weather, soaking gloves and steamed up glasses.

Run home wasn't too bad rain went off for most of it.

Another six miles in the afternoon.
    Soaked again.

NorthernDave, Dark46, CarlP and 15 others like this.
  9. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

Another blast through the borders - with big skies and big rivers.
    mar0204.JPG

mar0210.JPG mar0215.JPG mar0216.JPG mar0221.JPG mar0224.JPG mar0225.JPG mar0226.JPG

10. I went to the recycling centre. It was the first day it wasn't raining and I didn't have flu.

2019_03_16_01.JPG

The local farmers are out sorting out the wood from the winter.

2019_03_16_03.JPG

Thankfully it is downhill to the next town. It's on an old US army base, right next to the control tower.

2019_03_16_04.JPG

As I was throwing the bits in, mostly a collection of wheels so worn down even I couldn't find a use for them, I realised that one was the original wheel from my Raleigh M-Trax, bought in 1997, so it's not done too badly.

They wouldn't let me throw the tyres in, so I'll have to tie them in a knot and chuck them in the main rubbish.

I don't know how I stand the excitement of this non-stop expatriate lifestyle, I really don't.

11. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Cripes it's blowy today. An early amble to Aldi this morning, being blown to almost a standstill on a few occasions.
    More decorating now....

12. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Yesterday's rides:

It was pretty windy out but no rain expected so I went off to do a variation of one of my regular routes: Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Uffington, Shrewsbury and home.

The wind didn't seem as bad as the last couple of rides at the start (although the Met Office says it was gusting well over 30mph while I was out) and I got on reasonably well to Longnor where I picked up a cross-tailwind which gave a nice boost as far as Acton Burnell and improved into a proper tailwind on the way to Cressage.

At Cressage the River Severn was pretty high but still just within its banks. After climbing up to the crossroads I took a left and into the wind for a bit so was quite slow until Eyton on Severn where the lane swings round to the north. Having passed my old workplace I was onto the bridleway to Upton Magna and found myself slogging against the wind before the village then again on the way to Uffington. Like last time I risked the muddy section as it's sheltered a bit and the bike was already filthy so a bit more would make no odds.

On Sydney Avenue the river is only about a foot below the road level so if the rain in Wales is as bad as forecast today it'll likely be flooded soon. I took a roundabout route through town including going out of my way to have a look at the flood barriers going up in Frankwell, then headed through The Quarry and along Belle Vue where there was a bit of a holdup as some twit had punched a hole through the railway bridge parapet with their car last night so the road is half blocked and the railway to Welshpool is closed while temporary repairs are carried out. I hope that driver has good insurance - it's going to be a big bill for the damage and disruption to the railway.:whistle:

34.1 miles for this trip at 12.8 mph average.

P3150223.JPG
    The river is very full at Cressage.

P3150224.JPG
    Winding lane down to Eyton-on-Severn. Sunshine on the hills in the distance - I should have gone that way.

P3150225.JPG
    Tudor folly.

P3150226.JPG
    The famous roman wall at Viroconium.

P3150227.JPG
    The river is high enough that the weir just becomes a disturbance in the surface.

P3150230.JPG
    Flood barriers have gone up at Frankwell.

P3150231.JPG
    The willows that were cut hard back last year are recovering quicker than I thought they would.

Later in the day I finally got round to fitting the new dynamo wheel and front lamp that I had for Christmas. Fitting went pretty well and I went for a couple of test rides. One just around the block to test it worked and a longer one over Lyth Hill to Condover and back after it had gone dark to get the adjustment right and see how good it was (very good I'm pleased to report). I didn't take the speedometer with me for those but it'll probably be around 6 or 7 miles extra. Fitting and wiring of the rear lamp will follow later.

13. skudupnorth

skudupnorth Cycling Skoda lover

CFC06A69-3DE7-4330-9B29-990CB6D19EBD.jpeg 9DD898CA-7399-4BBC-A0D6-06A46C54AEF3.jpeg 4E40265F-F000-44E8-A6A0-CA42BB27813A.jpeg Bit of car collecting today which involved driving to Bolton to collect new- old car. Left load lugger behind while I drove back to dump new project at home. Grab fixie and rode back along the NCN55 to Bolton to collect the blue bus which swallows bikes easily !

Last edited: 16 Mar 2019 at 14:52
  14. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Pete M and I today. The wind had scared the others off. It seemed a good opportunity to try out the cafe at Stanford Bridge. We took to the shelter of the hills and lanes to get a fairly sheltered run out. The climb of Camp Lane was OK and the views were fine. The cafe turned out to be excellent. Cafe legs were excruciating on the restart but thankfully eased eventually. We managed to avoid the wind until the last few miles as those bits of roads are unavoidable. Did I mention the wind? It was windy. Windy wind on top of the windiness. 44 smiles

15. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

A couple of short local runs this morning that I wouldn't usually post, 17 miles in total.

Some of the worst weather I've cycled in for a very long time.
    Windy with sleet on slushy roads.

Done by 12, stayed in the rest of the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice