Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st ride in a week for me as i have been off the bike with lurgy , still felt a bit pants so had a steadier shorter ride today
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2254582632/embed/067014a8d05271747cba155e1b8c26d1a342adbb
'></iframe>

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We were all set to go out on the tandem, both in shorts. As I went to close the garage door an icy wind blew round our knees.... “stuff that!”

Back inside, both sat on the edge of the bed putting leg warmers on, Mrs Dave says “I’m going to win!”. So I pulled her leg warmer down her leg.... as she pulled it back up I took her other leg warmer without her seeing, and threw it downstairs! I won:okay:

It was cold when we set out. It took me a good 10 minutes to warm up.
Down through Madingley village, Dry Drayton, over the A14 and into Girton. Past the boys house, we’re there later for a mother’s day meal.

Into town down Huntingdon Road and a stop in the market square. Mrs Crochet bought a ball of wool. I waited patiently... I resisted buying a samosa!
9588F64D-B45B-4680-9C74-826B71355252.jpeg

85C09945-E960-4824-96A4-0A4591640B45.jpeg

Kings Parade was getting busy with tourists
785CE587-B68D-4FE7-AE21-14BA2311F28C.jpeg

04BABD1C-7764-4634-A2E8-A3DAEACC2E63.jpeg

6DB1D889-5212-4D0E-8A58-D45F28FEEA9B.jpeg

Out to Trumpington and Shelford then into quieter lanes. Jo wanted to stop to put different lenses in her glasses. As we stopped a Red Kite flew over
B526F7C7-41BE-40FC-A6B0-BACB80B226FE.jpeg

Through Newton and Over the A10 at Harston and then a stop at the Moringa Tree cafe in Haslingfield. We sat in the sun and chatted to a local couple who were out cycling, and then a bloke turned up who was scouting a route from Haverhill to Alfreton in Derbyshire. He is doing the scouting over 3 Sunday’s, his 140 mile ride will be around the longest day.

Home via the Eversdens and Caldecote. 33 nippy miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2254692560

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I were a bit bored this afternoon, a little lethargic too and we kept procrastinating about whether to go out or not. In the end we decided to go for a pootle along the N544 to Wantage for a coffee and cake. Just over 9 miles each way lovely tail wind out and a persistent head wind back, not cold though. Mrs P doesn’t like stopping for photos, so just a map today.

725CDB3C-7A43-44B1-B6EC-9AA249B83E43.jpeg

And a photo of a sleeping puppy.

80C51B9B-2248-46E3-9D02-BCB2195BCB79.jpeg

Club ride today with the H &DW
We went to Hare Hatch (just outside Twyford)
It was decidedly colder, was glad of the gilet I added at the last minute. The window was from the east, so we had a tailwind on the outward journey, which went via Datchet and Windsor, through Touchen End and Waltham St Lawrence.

It was hard work against the wind on the way home and we took a more southerly route through Ruscombe , Shurlock Row, Binfield and Winkfield Row and through Windsor Great Park

44.6 miles at ave moving speed of 15.8 mph and 1122 feet climbed.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Time limited this morning, so with just an hour or so it was out of the door and down the hill heading for Barwick Road with an idea to ride out to Aberford and back.

However, after yesterdays SMIDSY in Wetherby I had another, much closer one today.
A car pulled out of a car park turning left in front of me and just as I was pulling on the brakes and thinking "Goodness, this is a bit close", but thinking it would accelerate away, it stopped and indicated to turn right into a side street. :eek:
With no room to go round it on the inside it was full on brakes and I just stopped in time, also managing to unclip and not fall off. I might have sworn at this point and the Garmin subsequently showed a significant spike in my heart rate for some reason.
To the credit of the to the driver, they stopped in the side street and after asking "where did you come from?" :ohmy: apologised profusely once they realised what they'd done, asking several times if both me and the bike were OK. A genuine mistake then, which I'm sure would have been some comfort to Mrs ND had events turned out differently. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, back on the bike and down to Barwick Road, over Cock Beck and the climb up the hill towards Scholes straight into a surprisingly stiff headwind.
The adrenaline from earlier was no match for this and it was a slog to the top of the hill and I very nearly binned the ride off at that point. I suspect that today might be my slowest time up that hill since I got a road bike.
But being pig headed I turned right at the Coronation Tree and up the hill, before the mile long descent into Barwick - still hampered by that wind.

In Barwick I stopped at the Maypole and turned for home - still a bit shaken up by events and not fancying slogging into the wind for another couple of miles. Back the way I'd come, at least this time with a tail wind on the steady climb towards Scholes, which is almost unheard of.
Down the hill to Cock Beck and still having some time, left and through Manston, stopping by the park gates for a photo to add to the YBIFO a gate thread:
IMG_20190331_104559765_2.jpg

Then grabbing another pic at Christ Church opposite for YBIFO a church thread:
IMG_20190331_104709183_BURST003-EFFECTS.jpg

Round to the other entrance to the park and another pic for the YBIFO a memorial thread:
IMG_20190331_105112687.jpg

Then back on the bike and up to home on local roads, thankfully without further incident.

8.7 miles (14.0 km) in a moving time of 42 mins at an average of 12.2 mph with just 403 ft of climbing.

Not the ride I'd envisaged, but it seems that it really is true that any ride you can walk away from is a good one.
And to take a positive from events, let's hope that one motorist has learned a valuable lesson today.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went out on the club ride today in my shorts and short-sleeved shirt and gilet.:cold: At one point I wondered whether I may have to stop to chip ice off my arms! I'll put that down as a wardrobe miscalculation. A great 41 mile anti-clockwise loop, taking in a section of cycle path through Abbeydale that we have never used before, and then up Fiddler's Hill from Brockworth and past Prinknash Abbey up to Cranham. The climbing just carried on from there, with a sharp left up through Buckholt Woods, before returning via Cranham.

Going through Cranham involved descending the much vaunted "Cranham Wall". When I saw the route, I was pleased that we were descending, and not climbing it. That changed when we started to descend. Long story short, I think I need to have my brakes serviced as the cables appear to have stretched. Even with my brakes on as hard as I could squeeze, and with my knuckles going white, I was still doing 16mph through the village:eek:.If anyone or anything had come out into the road in front of me, I was going to have to decide which direction to crash in. Fortunately it didn't happen. What did happen was that, just as I was speeding up again to take as much speed as I could in to the next steep climb, a horse was ridden straight out in front of me forcing me to lose nearly all of my momentum. I exchanged cheery greetings with the rider while secretly resenting every second of the ensuing slow grind up to the Royal William.

After a decent little coffee stop at Painswick Golf Club, we endured a very chilly descent into Painswick, before returning home via Stroud, Stonehouse, Standish and Epney. Had a very surprising sighting of three deer grazing quite casually in a field at Standish (not far from the giant new incinerator) on the way home. I've never seen deer that far away from the Cotswold edge. I do hope they never try to cross the M5. The 41 miles put me right back on target for my annual target of 3,000 miles, as it brought up 750 miles for the year so far. Pleased with that, given I've recently had two weeks off the bike.

My very last day at work tomorrow, so I sense quite a few more bike rides coming up in the coming months. I may start to wander a bit further afield.
Cheers, Donger.

TigerT

Veteran
Another two rides this weekend.

Ride 1 : The Spring weather has definitely arrived and I couldn't wait together out. But unfortunately had things that needed doing on Saturday morning, so it was 11:00 am before I headed out. My legs were a bit tired so I thought I'd head out to Baden for a coffee and see how I felt. I tried a new route, which I like a lot. It keeps to roads but still takes a really direct route. I arrived in Baden and had the normal coffee and cake and decided to do a big loop back home. That takes me out past Baden, then loops around down the other side of some hills and finally rejoins the road I started out on. It was a good ride, but had a headwind for most of the way back and had forgotten just how steep a couple of the hills are at 12% - fortunately they are not too long though!

Ride 2 : I swore today would be a rest day, but the sun was out and I couldn't help myself. First time out this year in short bibs, it felt so much better than my winter rides. I was only planning to go out to the airport and then loop around back home, but got carried away and decided to try another new route. Another climb, this time a long one up to Nürensdorf. Just when you think you must be getting to the top, you go round a corner and it keeps going up! Very nice decent into Winterthur though. Very steep downhill with some tight corners. The front disc was very hot at the bottom. Again a coffee and cake stop before. deciding to take my normal route back via Effretikon and Wangen. One of the nicest rides I've had for a while - A challenging ride out and a casual ride back.

So a total of 132kms for the weekend - taking me to 1080kms at the end of Q1 2019. Very happy with that- Well over double the distance at this time last year.

Here's a couple of photos and the maps

DZxUEhnLRI219bCsJFmCNg.jpg
On the way out of the woods at Wangen
DEkEkGcEQf+AexiNSvJitw.jpg
Taking a short break in the sun
IMG_0413.JPG
Saturday's Map
IMG_0412.JPG
Sunday's map

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday night I did a familiar loop to bag three village signs, photos in the OCD villages and towns thread.

Today I went for an O and decided to brave the A68 again. It being a Sunday there weren't any wagons and this particular stretch is straight, open and reasonably wide so although busy with fast traffic there were no dangerous passes.

Turning off the A68 I stopped at this rather over-signposted junction. Oxton has a population of about 100, the other destinations about 5 each!!

IMG_20190331_144418[1].jpg

My O for the ABC / OCD thread -

IMG_20190331_145216[1].jpg

I then took a loop up in to the Lammermuir on a road I'd never been on before. Very remote looking but less than 20 miles from the middle of Edinburgh.

IMG_20190331_150544[1].jpg

I stopped again at this rather aggressively trimmed hedge.

IMG_20190331_151238[1].jpg

Another week and the bank on the other side of the burn will be a blaze of yellow.

Back on familiar routes the view to the north east, the Lammermuir on the horizon with Dirrington Great Law centre right.

IMG_20190331_155136[1].jpg

I've driven and ridden past this field entrance hundreds of times but never before noticed the sign pointing to a standing stone.

IMG_20190331_161412[1].jpg

Apparently there used to be a cottage here called Standing Stone. The legend, which I've just looked up on the interweb, is -

'When Stannin'-Stane hears the cock craw,
It wheels about, and faces Gordon Law.

No sign of any recent spinning, it looks well fixed.

Today's map -

upload_2019-3-31_21-31-9.png

42 miles @ 13.8 mph, 905m upness.

Mike_P

Guru
Up the resurfaced Cornwall Road climb this afternoon on the Defy, nice smooth tarmac for a change making the climb that bit easier – annoyingly Strava insists I did not complete any of the segments along it.
CornwRd.jpg

From Beckwithshaw turned up Shaw Lane and sought to chase down a cyclist who overtook me before the climb, did not manage to catch him but did record a new PR. At the top turned right onto Briscoe Ridge Lane and then south west on the B6161 turning off to decend through Braythorn
Braythorn.jpg

And onto Leathley, always popular for ramblers hence very much a car park
Leathley.jpg

As I climbed Shaw Lane I had noted a cyclist going across the crossroads and he had remained constantly a distance in front. At the junction of the B6161 with the A658 my intention had been to go straight on through Castley but I noticed he was turning left onto the A658 so I followed suit and rapidally caught up and overtook with a cheery Afternoon.
A658 nr_pool.jpg

Reaching Huby turned off onto the road to Weeton and Dunkeswick, north on the A61 and then along Swindon Lane to Kirkby Overblow. Again cyclists ahead on the climb into the village to aim at and another PR despite the wind. Back onto the A658 and then along Rudding Lane where the lights on the narrow bridge co-operated
Rudding.jpg

However, the TTLs at the top of the following climb did not.
30.04 miles 2054ft climbed, avg 12.4mph.
31-3 route.jpg

31-03 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a coo;er 20 mile ride. Stopped off at Reading Caravans for a much round then [...]
What were they reading? (sorry)

Quick loop this morning, hoping to buy honey and spot any tulip fields around the neighbouring village. Failed on the honey. Noticed this bamboo which seems to have got a bit big in Water Lane:
bamboo.jpg

I did spot the tulip fields, but they're a long way from the road again. No public access and too far for my little camera's zoom:
IMG_20190401_100553.jpg

That last picture was from School Lane, which is a "Restricted Byway" rather than a bridleway, but the restriction seems to be no motor vehicles. I don't understand :smile: But it's not in too bad nick for a sand/stone road, as long as you avoid the edges of tractor tyre tracks. Still decidedly 10mph max stuff unless you're into extreme stone road riding, though.
schoollane.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Monday is normally food shopping evening, but when the weather is as gorgeously sunny and warm as today, I binned that off to later in the week, when the cold returns and made the most of the lighter evenings with a ride on the Carbon.

Just my short route around Shrewsbury, really pleasant ride, plenty of people out on bikes also enjoying the fine sunshine. It’s so nice to see this type of evening back again, after the Winter.

12.9 miles at 12.4mph avg.

A rare blat on the 1995 M500 today. The old girl needs a bit of fresh air every few months!
20190401_142854.jpg

I always miss the road bike after about 5 miles. Legs arms and back all hurt more. Maybe its the 20 odd year difference in bikes or just body position. Stupid flat pedals and bars and daft fat tyres. Aside from that plenty of welsh countryside to gawp at and great weather, been lucky recently since those freezing Jan/Feb outings
(remember them?

20190401_145330.jpg

Top Bottom