Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just six miles for me today, via Downham Common, Lawn Lane and Downham Hythe. But Wiggy #1, the Rouen, stayed at home for a change.

This ride was my first outing on Wiggy #2, the Chartres, and my first ride with disc brakes and a triple chainring. Gave the bike a little workout - a tricky climb, a couple of false flats, a steep descent, some poor road surfaces, a junction or three. A few minor blips along the way, with some future fettling required - prior to my buying it, the bike hadn't been ridden for a year.

Was good to get out in the early evening sunshine. And I think I'm going to enjoy this bike once it's set up to my taste.

A_visit_to_the_art_shop.jpg

Yesterday was a spontaneous ride, hence lack of pictures. I'd planned on a longer commute after work, but then remembered I need to get a can of spray paint to make the Ugly Bike acceptable in civilised society. This would mean going to the art wholesalers way over yonder in a village called Stetten, so I planned a route.

Then my colleague turned up on his bike, a carbon hardtail: it was his day off but he needed to correct something before riding. I suggested we could ride to the art shop together as he was planning to ride in that direction anyway. As my bike was at a tram stop at the edge of the city we agreed to meet there. (marked with a 'Stop' sign on the map)

He then cycled up the hill to the tram stop, a cool 200m climb. On 2 bar knobbly tyres.

I caught the tram up the hill after work, and we rode through Degerloch (top centre), then south on traffic free trails he knows well to Fasananhof, a place apparently designed and built at great expense to make everyone feel grateful for living somewhere else. After this we had a short climb through fields to Leinfelden, (or possibly Echterdingen, I always get them mixed up) and found that when the railway line was converted to a metro and put underground, the track bed was made into a cycle/walking trail, so we had a straight route to a thoroughly ugly but mercifully small industrial estate, then more fields to another industrial estate where the Most Dangerous Shop In the World is located.

I was very disciplined and only came out with the spray can I went in for.

Now rattling nicely on bumps, we went back to Leinfelden or Echterdingen, and found the traffic free road back around the exhibition centre. There is, or rather was, a cycleway through the middle, of the exhiibition centre but recently they decided they need it for more important things like parking diggers for a building site. Of course they didn't actually tell us this in advance, just put a fence across it. Fine, we will take our bikes and lack of spending money elsewhere.

We zigzagged through pretty villages and along the valley that leads to my village, then zigzagged again to avoid the 20% Scary Hill Of Doom up and out of the valley, and rolled back down to my apartment, where my colleague filled his water bottles and I forced him to do a test ride on the Bakfiets before letting him continue to the next town and a greek restaurant he wanted to visit.

That was yesterday evening and he still hasn't come into work yet. I hope I didn't wear him out.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides to report on:

Yesterday I joined my brother for another of his cycle commutes and took the opportunity to take the Raleigh for the first proper ride with the new B17N saddle. The ride into town was quite pleasant then after parting from Doug I doubled back through the Quarry and headed out of town along the riverside path followed by a roundabout route along the cyclepaths of Heathgates to avoid the rough bit of the canal path.

The wind was from an againsterly direction for this trip but despite that I was making good progress and liking the saddle which feels good straight after setting up and I know will get better as it breaks in. With the Team Pro that was on previously it took numerous rides and lots of tinkering with setup before I could get it feeling acceptable.

A pleasantly uneventful ride took me through Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Cound, Acton Burnell and Longnor where I finally found the tailwind and enjoyed a brisk pace to Condover where I got baulked by a tractor driver pulling out in front of me. While getting back up to speed after this little moment I was overtaken by a faster rider and was tempted to give chase. I kept up reasonably well as far as the A49 where he got a gap in the traffic and I had to wait my turn. Good fun and it shows up another benefit of the saddle change in that I was able to push on quite hard without feeling like I was going to strain anything.

30.6 miles at 14.2 mph average.

Today I wasn't expecting to get out but a weather window became available between the early morning rain and the heavy showers expected from about midday so I went for it. Since the roads were wet and I knew that the lanes would be muddy I used the knockabout bike, which feels so sluggish after using the Raleigh yesterday, forcing me to take things at a more relaxed pace.

The route was fairly unimaginative being one of my regular loops but I did vary it very slightly towards the end: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Berrington (via the A458), Allfield and back via Lyth Hill.

It was quite cold out with a biting wind but the sun did break through making it a little more pleasant than it could have been and the leaves coming out on the hedges does make it look like spring is arriving. I was flagging a bit by Cound and, after the great rides recently on both the Raleigh and the Dawes, was realising that the riding position on this bike is not all it's cracked up to be. I had quite a few stops in the last few miles to try and undo the changes I'd made back in the autumn and will have to see how it goes the next few rides.

23.7 miles at 12.5 mph average.

Only a few phone pics from today:
DSC0007362.jpg

Near Ryton early in the ride, the rainclouds are drifting away and blue sky is appearing over the Long Mynd.

DSC0007363.jpg

Blossom in the hedges near Longnor. I think it's blackthorn as it's still a little early for hawthorn.

DSC0007364.jpg

View of the Wrekin from near Harnage

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just a short 10 mile ride to/from market today. It started drizzling as I left so I donned 3/4 waterproof gear, abandoning the lower legs and feet to the rain.

Uneventful on the way in apart from one utter moron who decided a blind right 90° bend was a good place to overtake - I think many people forget that bit is two-way traffic with the one-way only starting 100m after the corner. Fortunately nothing had left the few buildings or the quay car park so they got away with it.

Parked in town to pop into the supermarket for the last few tins and so on. Went to use some of the undercover parking only to discover that they've moved it again, halved it in size again and now it's in a U-shape dip so I can't park my bike without it falling over! Three other bikes there, all more or less fallen. :cursing: Locked mine to railings instead.

On the way out of town, I was crossing the last carriageway when two hard-hat wearers in big hi-vis waterproofs were walking the other way. So I didn't cross. They crossed to me. One had "Suffolk Highways" on his jacket and the other "Kier". I know that Kier consult for Highways England, whose interchange we were standing by, so I asked them what they were doing. ;)

Sure enough, they were looking at walking and cycling improvements which could result from the nearby housing developments. So I asked if I could walk back with them with my bike, highlighting the current layout's flaws, and they agreed. Took pictures, even. They'd already spotted about half the flaws on their walkabout. They wanted to know about some land ownership, but it's not come up for planning permission in the last 20 years, so I didn't know. I offered to send them the 2012-2016 cycle counter data which I have and they weren't aware of. Oh and they'd parked in a supermarket car park that I know is a complete pig to reach on foot with the current rubbish crossings layout. So we'll see what they come up with.

If you want cycling infrastructure fixed, it's often worth asking such suspicious-looking characters what they're up to ;)

Then home again, in the pelting rain. I like having all-weather clothes. My phone, however, is not all-weather, so no photos from me today.

After a dry until I got home ride yesterday, my luck did`nt hold out today. I thought that I`d do the same 23 mile route as yesterday only in reverse to vary it ! The skies had`nt been too bad throughout the morning and although there were some darker clouds about I thought that I`d be lucky. So at 2.00 I headed to Stowupland and then onto Haughley. It started to rain just as the barrier came down at the level crossing, hurry up I said to myself, this is no joke. The rain soon turned to sleet and then hail but I had an idea. About 3/4 of a mile away the road went under the A14 so the flyover would create a dry haven, it did. It is not often I thank the A14 for anything ! I forgotten what stinging hail feels like. It eased after about 5 mins and I was on my way again and it was looking brighter but by now the damage was done, the roads were soaking. I did think about cutting the ride short but as it was brightening I thought I might as well continue. The sun did come out at Buxhall and the church there as well as Great Finborough church looked lovely in the sunshine especially with the black sky behind which I`d been underneath a little time earlier. The road back to Combs was very wet and I guess it was worse there than what I had. My feet were quite wet when I got back, the overshoes are not waterproof but hey, I enjoyed the ride. The only thing that hurt was my pride as I`d taken out my carbon bike (no mudguards and hence a wet bottom and back). I guess that in April we must expect showers !!

After a dry until I got home ride yesterday, my luck did`nt hold out today. I thought that I`d do the same 23 mile route as yesterday only in reverse to vary it ! The skies had`nt been too bad throughout the morning and although there were some darker clouds about I thought that I`d be lucky. So at 2.00 I headed to Stowupland and then onto Haughley. It started to rain just as the barrier came down at the level crossing, hurry up I said to myself, this is no joke. The rain soon turned to sleet and then hail but I had an idea. About 3/4 of a mile away the road went under the A14 so the flyover would create a dry haven, it did. It is not often I thank the A14 for anything ! I forgotten what stinging hail feels like. It eased after about 5 mins and I was on my way again and it was looking brighter but by now the damage was done, the roads were soaking. I did think about cutting the ride short but as it was brightening I thought I might as well continue. The sun did come out at Buxhall and the church there as well as Great Finborough church looked lovely in the sunshine especially with the black sky behind which I`d been underneath a little time earlier. The road back to Combs was very wet and I guess it was worse there than what I had. My feet were quite wet when I got back, the overshoes are not waterproof but hey, I enjoyed the ride. The only thing that hurt was my pride as I`d taken out my carbon bike (no mudguards and hence a wet bottom and back). I guess that in April we must expect showers !!
I doff my hat to you...I bottled it today.

Two rides today - the first because I needed to get out, and the second was a fettling bimble that sort of turned into a proper ride... :blush:

This morning I hopped onto Wiggy #2, the Chartres, for what is my basic ride these days - to Littleport and back via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane, with an extra loop around Parson's Lane. It was pretty grey and overcast, there was rain in the air, but it never really amounted to much. Second half of the ride was rather ouchie as I was riding the bike on a saddle that doesn't quite suit me (sore bum, numb hands), but it was good to get out nonetheless.

Hadn't intended on going out again today, but five minutes after I walked in through the door, the saddle I'd ordered for the Chartres turned up. So of course that meant swapping saddles, then going for a bimble at tea time to sort out the up/down/fore/aft thing. The right saddle really made a difference.

I set out via O Furlong to Pymoor, intending to complete the loop that takes me back via Mill Hill and Downham proper, adding a few stops to tweak the saddle. But by the time I got to Corker's Crisps, I was thinking that I didn't particularly fancy Mill Hill - the Chartres, with rack and guards fitted, is 3kg heavier than the Rouen roadie. So instead, I took a right turn down Adventurer's Drove and rode to Oxlode instead. I haven't been down that way on a bike in ages, as the road surface isn't suitable for skinny tyres, but the hybrid took it in its stride. At Oxlode I did an about turn and rode back the way I'd come. And I found out that the speed trap in Pymoor will register a bicycle - I went past at the stellar speed of 9 mph! (The one in Littleport won't register bikes.)

Was lovely being out in the afternoon sunshine, with blossom in the hedgerows, a carpet of grape hyacinth in one place which looked stunning, birdsong, big fen skies with rain clouds on the horizon... Tired legs were definitely a factor on the way home, as my derriere began to hurt again.

Think it was about 20 miles in total, and on a heavier bike, I'm not half feeling it right now...

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I take it you've heard about the accidents on the A14 in that area while you were hiding under it

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/delays-on-a12-and-a14-after-multivehicle-crash-1-5976196

Kudos for going out in those conditions as I'd have been checking the rain radar and probably bee making indoor plans based on the results.

I take it you've heard about the accidents on the A14 in that area while you were hiding under it

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/delays-on-a12-and-a14-after-multivehicle-crash-1-5976196

Kudos for going out in those conditions as I'd have been checking the rain radar and probably bee making indoor plans based on the results.
When I was was under the A14 the traffic was flowing so I kind of guess the accident happened shortly afterwards. Knowing the usual standard of driving these days they were driving too fast for the conditions. IMO. I just hope no one was injured.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quick ride today to check on some byways in a neighbouring parish that I'd not ridden for a while, just to get me my daily exercise when I'd been working from home.

Sadly, they're in a bad way: over the winter, some naughty person has put up a couple of misleading signs ("no through road" when people walking and cycling can still get through, plus a 5mph speed limit sign when there's no such limit), while a couple of other byways have damaged or missing waymarkers. I've reported the various problems, which sucked up some time.

On the plus side, I did manage to get a picture of my bike on an unusual bridge:
View attachment 460782
Yes, that's a Christmas tree. Yes, it's growing out of the bridge. Reverse angle:
View attachment 460783

Top Bottom