Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Surprisingly (or not) I have never done a mainstream club ride before. This morning I broke the mould and went out for a few very sociable hours with a local club. (Somer Valley CC)

I think my Audax bike with cavernous saddlebag, long mudflaps and dynamo lighting was a curiosity for most. But apparently it was my disheveled, long hair and adequate beard that they were avoiding looking at. It wasn’t warm enough to wear SPD sandals. That would have caused audible gasps no doubt. I also think I re-educated some ride members with my calorific inhalation abilities and deep love of coffee. I think we all benefited today somehow.

This is also the first ride in a while where I have left and returned home in daylight hours. It’s also the first in 12 months under 200km. I feel positively squiffy. I’m off for a lie down.

3ECF1D9C-CE35-4D9A-9B14-B1F482B653A3.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Home and tried to download to Strava,taken to a page to pay.£2-49 i already have a Strava page,but this app has hardly used any of the battery,but as i continued to find info how to pay,up
Are you sure it was the genuine Strava app as that is free to use, have it on my android phone.

Reactions: C R

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The weather was too good to waste today, so I was out early(ish) with a plan to bag a metric half and keep the challenge rides going for another month while the going was good.
While the sun was out it was still chilly, so I was glad I'd layered up. Up Coal Road where the traffic lights have stopped detecting bikes again - and cars too it would seem as we sat there looking at each other...:rolleyes:
Anyhow, I was soon underway again and onto Skeltons Lane where I was thrilled to receive my first and second close passes of the morning in under a mile. :dry:
Then down the hill into Thorner - a mile of mainly downhill isn't to be sniffed at, then through the village and the climb up Milner Lane onto the ridge with a bit of reluctance to change into the lowest gears (from the bike, not me - I never need any encouragement to use the lower gears), so that needs a tweak.
Along the ridge and on to Rigton Green, then the normally deserted Bramham Lane between the fields - except this morning it was the busiest I've seen it in a long time with a dog walker and two joggers. Blooming fair weather outdoorists ^_^

A short climb up Jewitt Lane and onto Thorner Lane heading for the lesser Wothersome dip where I gave it full beans into the dip (hitting just over 35 mph) which carried me up the other side without too much effort. Straight on at the junction and the steady drop to the A1(M) bridge at Bramham, the the drop and climb on Paradise Way and onto Aberford Road around the top of the village and onto Toulston Lane back out into the countryside.
Over the county line into North Yorkshire, then a right onto Garnet Lane, over the A659 and then the bridge over the A64, before dropping into Stutton.
Through there, over Cock Beck, and up the otherside onto the A162 with the climb up to Raw Lane, then left for the run down to Ulleskelf.
A scoot through the village and then stopped at Party Central (aka the bus stop) for a breather and an oaty bar and a couple of pics:
IMG_20190406_094422579_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190406_094431696_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last night was clearly a big night in da 'skelf as the bin was full of Burger King wrappers and beer cans this morning. Rock and roll. :becool:

Anyhow, back on the steel and on towards Church Fenton, past the Airport where someone has crashed into the entrance gates and they are still covered in "Fire Service - Keep Clear" tape. Oh for the happy days when we had a Fire Brigade...
Into the village, getting another close pass (from a driving instructor! :wacko: ) and eventually over the railway bridge, dropping down onto the long straight run to Barkston Ash, with the merest hint of a tailwind which is unusual on here to say the least. Through there and back onto the A162 and the long way round to Saxton.
A quick scoot along Main Street and out past the cricket club and Linda's Bench on Coldhill Lane, before dropping onto Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Gates. A quick left / right there saw me on the road to Aberford, which drops down into the village.
Back out of there on the roller coaster of Cattle Lane, dropping down to the bridge over Cock Beck, before the climb up into Barwick, followed by yet more up towards Scholes before the drop down Leeds Road, up the other side and then local roads to home.

33.09 miles (53.25 km) in 2h 39m at a steady 12.5 mph with 1,548 ft of ascent and an average temperature of just 7.6°C despite all that sunshine

Really enjoyed that, despite the efforts of a few too many motorised muppets.
Good to get the Half Century Challenge ride in the bag for April keeping that rolling, and even better to get home from a ride and not feel entirely done in. Still much to do fitness wise, but it's a start.
Loads of cyclists out today, and who can blame them making the most of the weather? It was noticeable just how many people the sun had brought out today - even just walking about in villages where I've hardly seen anyone for months over the winter.

And to end, the map:
06042019a.JPG

13 rider

Guru
First weekend of the month so it must be time for an Imperial century . In the lead up to the weekend I had nothing planned then @tallliman announced he was riding to Northampton to watch the cricket a 50 mile trip . So there and back a perfect imperial . Then @Supersuperleeds came on board and plotted a veloviewer square grabbing ride on the way back which pushed the distance up to a double metric century are well a long day it is . Met at Cossington at 7 rather chilly :cold: and windier than expected . @Supersuperleeds lead through the cycle route through watermead park and abbey park to pick up the traffic free great central way to get south of Leicester . Then in to the rolling countryside of southern Leicestershire into Northamptonshire no big hills but constantly rolling . At Cold Ashby we stopped and consumed some snack at the side of the road . @Supersuperleeds offered me a very squashed double decker but it was still scoffed :hungry:. Refuelled we pressed on in the next village @tallliman hit a lot hole a suffered an instant puncture . Teamwork soon had us on our way at least I now know who to use my new co2 inflater . On to Northampton . The traffic was quite bad and lots of queues which we filtered past :tongue:. Found the cricket ground with 10 mins before start of play . Leaving @tallliman me and @Supersuperleeds headed home .The wind now being troublesome we did a couple of there and back route to grab VV squares and the terrain was very much up and down . Then something rare happened @Supersuperleeds asked if I was bothered about doing a 200km ride as he wanted cut it short he is human after all I was quite glad :rolleyes: a quick route plan and we found are selfs in Long Buckby quite a big village so we hunted for a cafe . We were directed by a local to the bakery born and bread which did coffee cakes but also soup we went for parsnip soup with a fresh roll it was very nice .More rolling terrain and a headwind :banghead:back into southern Leicestershire . At Cosby we parted company leaving me 12 hilly miles back home the legs feeling it glad we cut it short . Home with 111 miles in the bag another month in the challenge and the rare event of me doing more miles than @Supersuperleeds 106 for him . A strange day weather wise chilly to start with with a cold wind which seemed to blow in every direction but enough warmth in the sun to make you feel overdressed at times . A tough but enjoyable ride in great company and its good to see @tallliman regaining his fitness slowly

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Normal route on the Defy through Ripley to Arkendale, instantly regretted putting on knee length bibs as it was pretty chilly on the first decent of a north facing slope. Thankfully it warmed up afterwards. At Farnham I seemed to have an encounter with one of those muppets that Northern Dave suffers too frequently as one clown overtook on a Z bend forcing a car coming the other way to stop – my bright green socks seem to keep cars well away usually.
Farhham3.jpg

Then north west to Staveley where the nice roadside bench had acquired a bottle/can recycling box – flipping useless things that take to the air at the slightess strong wind so I presume this one had escaped rather than being a feature of bench
Staveley6r.jpg

Suitably fed continued north west through Copgrove where I found what I thought must be the smallest village nameboard in existence but then realising it was nowhere near what you might call the village (or should that be hamlet) centre I think it might have been a Parish boundary marker which would make it a pretty rare sign.
Copgrove.jpg

Burton Leonard had a nice display of daffodils to distract from the upward slope of the road.
Burton Leonard.jpg

Reaching Wormald Green I took the only previously uncycled section of road, the A61 down to the junction for Markington. Just my luck it claimed to be a dodgy surface but thankfully it was just a pretty short section where the tarmac had been stripped.
Wormald Green.jpg

Markington is one of those increasingly rare villages which still has a village shop.
Markington.jpg

Up Hobb Green Hill and Drovers Hill to Bishop Thornton Crossroads then south east to Ripley down Scarah Bank in my best time but far slower than another cyclist who shot pass; presumably knew the road surface was okay.
Scarah Bank.jpg

From Ripley initially followed the Nidderdale Greenway to its crossing of the A61 then retraced my outbound route through Killinghall; the advantage of using the Greenway initially is with the A61 traffic held at the lights you can clear most of the narrower part of the carriageway before any overtaking occurs. Decided to finish off by going up Oaker Bank, a PR although the last time I tried it the chain jumped off. One of those climbs with false flat around halfway up - this is the upper part
Oaker Bank2.jpg

28.72 miles 1478ft climbed Avg 13.6 mph
6-4 route.jpg
9-4 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Friday after w*rk ride. A new pair of winter longs had arrived in the post which seemed to have brought the sun out for a bit, but it was still cold enough to try them out. The summer bike is back on road so it was time to see how well it goes up hill. I set out west aided by a stiff easterly tailwind for the Swire, Selkirkshire's version of Alpe d'Huez. I climbed through the snow line as I reached the summit.

View attachment 461014

Looking back the way to the north. There was six inches of snow here on Wednesday!

View attachment 461015

Note to self. Polishing the frame with Mr Sheen and forgetting to clean the brake tracks afterwards is an interesting way of getting fast Strava times on downhill segments. :okay:

Fortunately the easterly wind had abated slightly on the way home.
The map etc

View attachment 461017
29.7 miles @ 14.9mph 556m up and down.

You don’t see much white dog crap these days.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides to report on again.

Yesterday the roads were still wet and I knew there would be plenty of mud too so the knockabout bike got a run. I decided to head over Lyth Hill and up to Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Dudgeleyand back via Hollyhurst, Longnor, Condover and the short way back using the main road.

It was overcast, cold and windy out so most of my winter layers were back on and waterproofs were in the bag just in case. The wet weather over the last few days had left its mark in a flood on Lyth Hill that needed to be waded through but the rough track up to the top wasn't too bad as it was possible to ride round all of the puddles. The ride up to Oaks was slow but steady with the wind helping today, which didn't bode too well for later on and sure enough, after Pulverbatch I was riding into it so was slower than usual on this very undulating section.

After Dudgeley and having crossed the A49 to make the turn northwards again I'd been hoping I'd have a good tailwind to help me home but it was much more of an easterly which didn't really help much at all until quite late in the ride. Not too much traffic on the A49 which was good and I got wide passes off a couple of HGVs which is always appreciated.

26.7 miles at 11.8 mph average.

DSC0007365.jpg

View from Lyth Hill and there is barely any snow to be seen the day after the hills were white over.

DSC0007366.jpg
En route to Wilderley and it was every bit as cold and damp feeling as it looks in the photo.

DSC0007368.jpg

Looking up at Caer Caradoc from the bridge over the railway near All Stretton.

-----------------------------------------------

Today it was much nicer out. There was sunshine and although you wouldn't exactly call it warm, it was fairly pleasant. I wasn't able to get a ride in until the afternoon and grabbed the knockabout bike again simply because it was convenient.

I thought I'd head for Cardington today and headed over Lyth Hill again to Condover, Longnor, Folly Bank, Cardington, Hughley, Harnage Grange, Cound Moor, Acton Pigott, Acton Burnell, Cantlop, Condover and back the short way again.

Having crossed Lyth Hill I discover that in the few days since I last rode this particular lane the oilseed rape crop has grown enough at the A49 junction that visibility is now poor. Drat - that makes it awkward coming this way for a while.

Condover to Folly Bank was pretty pleasant, easy riding. I found myself following fairly fresh tracks left by some other cyclists but didn't catch sight of them until the junction just before Hollyhurst where they'd paused for a moment. They were going in my direction but I wasn't going to try chasing them up the Folly Bank climb on my heaviest bike. On my way up the hill I passed a dog walker who said I was "Going really well on such a nasty climb".^_^

Cardington looked as pretty as ever but then my progress slowed as I'd found the headwind. Not as bad as yesterday but it still hindered a bit for a few miles as far as the junction near Harley where I doubled back towards Harnage Grange. The long straight towards Cound Moor was aligned just right to get the best of the tailwind and I got on quite well here apart from having to pause for a motorist who, rather than slow down when they saw me, decided to bounce along the grass verge in a slightly scary way.:ohmy:

For a change I decided to take the lane to Acton Pigott, then Acton Burnell. I pushed the bike over the footbridge rather than risking the ford that I know hides a very damaged road surface under the water. I then had the lanes to myself afterwards.

I got overtaken by a TVR Chimera just after Pitchford (waited for a good spot and gave plenty of room) and enjoyed a nice stress-free run the rest of the way home, sadly without much wind assistance.

Quite a few other cyclists out today and quite a few walkers as well.

33.6 miles at 13 mph average.

P4060388.JPG

A much more spring-like view from Lyth Hill this time.

P4060392.JPG

Lots of lambs in the fields.

P4060394.JPG

Taking a break at the top of the Folly Bank climb. For those who haven't seen it before, the bench is in memory of Graham Bufton who was a four times British national cycling champion, sadly taken before his time in a crash.

P4060396.JPG

At Cardington.

P4060398.JPG

Now that looks like Spring. Taken near Harnage Grange.

A 15 mile ride for me earlier today, through wigan, billinge, orrell, garswood and ashton, I will up the mileage bit by bit because once again I am pleased to report no back pain during or after riding the road bike :wahhey:. I even threw in a few hills , well what most on here would probably call gentle inclines...

TigerT

Veteran
Today was only meant to be a Test Ride but ended up being longer.

This morning I finally got around to cleaning my old Roubaix, which I‘d been using as my Winter bike. Cleaned the Chain, cassette, braking surfaces and brakes and gave it a wash. So then it was time for a test ride.

I only intended to do my 13km circuit, just to make sure everything was ok, but got a bit carried away and rode over to Baden and back via my latest new route so ended up doing about 50km with a coffee and cake stop in the middle.

I have a long ride planned for tomorrow with a friend so when I got back I cleaned the chain and cassette on my Trek Emonda ready for that. Also took that for a test ride, but this time, I did keep to my local loop.

So quite a good day today, hopefully the legs are good again by the morning!

90AFAB94-260E-4542-8ACB-DF602A36F50F.jpeg
The Roubaix looking nice for a change!

Last edited:
Well have not been out as much as I would have liked, poor weather conditions and not feeling great have seen to that.
So, was nice to get out for a gentle pootle today. Enjoying taking photos with my new camera, until I got home and tried to upload them, camrea's knackered! Had it 1 day over the Amazon return, rang them up tho and the helpful women explained nothing was a problem and authorised a refund anyway - good service, and I have always found that with Amazon.
So, search for a different travel compact camera to take on the bike with me continues.
Fortunately even though the screen is kaput, the pictures I had taken during the ride were salvageable...
upload_2019-4-6_20-56-34.png

upload_2019-4-6_20-57-6.png

upload_2019-4-6_20-57-41.png

upload_2019-4-6_20-58-13.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
42 miles today on the club's social ride. Fine weather, great company, nice café stop at the yurt in the grounds of Berkeley Castle. And all done on No.2 bike as it was a nice flat ride, not involving any big descents, so I was happy to go with rim brakes. A lovely ride.
Cheers, Donger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another outing for me this morning. Once again my brother is working so I joined him on his commute to give a bit of company. I used the Raleigh which was a pleasure after the Hawk on the last couple of rides.

The trip into town was fine until we got to the Quarry where it looks like the Sunday junior park run is a regular thing and there is also a dog show on today so we had to negotiate our way past all the people arriving to set up.

After parting from Doug I thought I'd avoid going back through the crowds and headed along Smithfield Road with the intention of dropping into Castlefields and going out of town that way. Unfortunately I discover that Cross Street is closed for work on the railway bridges and they are not letting anyone through. I could have walked round the block (couldn't ride as it's a busy one-way system) but decided to walk back as far as the junction by the station and go a different way instead.

Leaving town via the English Bridge I skirted past the Abbey and over the Castle Walk footbridge, along Sydney Avenue, up to Heathgates and along Sundorne Road to finally join the old canal path at Pimley Manor en route to Uffington and Upton Magna. After that I headed for Withington and Walcot (taking the slightly longer way), then Uppington, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back home along the direct route.

There were lots of other riders out today which was nice to see and it was quite fun to be the one doing the overtaking in a few cases. I did get surprised later in the ride when I couldn't catch a rider on a mountain bike who was going pretty well. I only overtook in the end because he chose to ride along the verge rather than braving the short section of the A49.

Exactly 36 miles this trip at 13.9mph average.

Weather was rather chilly and overcast which meant I couldn't find the enthusiasm for taking photos and only snapped a couple:

DSC0007369.jpg

View from Castle Walk footbridge.

DSC0007370.jpg

Upton Magna.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’ve gone and done something a bit weird. I’ve only gone and joined the local club haven’t I? Now I belong to an Audax club AND a mainstream club! I’ve had to be sociable for two days on the trot. No small talk. Just bike talk and decent, gritty life talk. I don’t know what I'm thinking. But even weirder: I think I quite liked the company.

Oh, there was another ride which went out today which I joined. Out to Stourhead Gardens for a sandwich and some coffee. Then another coffee later on in Mells Walled Garden.

I’ll be back to gnarly Audax stuff next weekend and then I’ll join this lot again. Variety is the spice of life. Bloody civilised weekend by anyone’s standards.

2EAFFECE-1681-4CD3-9452-E19572C068D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom