Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another short ride. Just up to the post office, then checking out something which might feature on tomorrow's ride, then home across a neighbouring village's common. Stopped to read what I think is a new interpretation/information board which has appeared by the road. Longflap saddlebag attached today, unlike the rucksack and satchel on the rack yesterday.
nrunccom.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a frosty start today turned into a lovely sunny, warm day by about lunchtime :sun:so I've been out on the Raleigh to enjoy it while it lasts.

My route was one of my regular ones but one that has been lesser used over the winter: Condover, Longnor, Folly Bank, Cardington, Hughley, Harnage Grange, Cound, Berrington, Condover and back.

There are traffic lights on the main road through the village for the fourth or fifth time in a year, this time due to a manhole having collapsed, so I headed over Lyth Hill to avoid the queues but there were a few motorists having the same idea. After Condover there was less traffic and I had a pleasant ride along the lanes to Longnor where it had warmed up enough to convert my trousers to shorts. While doing this another rider stopped to check if I was alright which was nice. She told me it was her first ride after 6 months off the bike due to carpal tunnel surgery.

The next stage included the climb up to Folly Bank which was a lot easier on this bike, then the descent to Cardington which looked great in the sunshine. The ride to Church Preen School, then Hughley includes some nice fast flowing sections which I always enjoy and what little wind there was this afternoon was behind me for this.

At Cound another rider passed at speed while I was stopped taking a photo but to my surprise I caught him again a little later as we headed for the main road on the way to Berrington. As I overtook I asked if he was going far but just got a grunt in reply so didn't engage in conversation.

Heading back to Condover the lanes were busy again with more people trying to avoid the queue at the lights. Most were taking it steady on the lanes for once. I returned over Lyth Hill again rather than get mixed up with the traffic.

35 miles at 14.3 mph average. It's so nice to have the Raleigh out again.

P3290353.JPG

A favourite view of Caer Caradoc before starting the climb to Folly Bank.

P3290354.JPG

P3290356.JPG

A couple of shots at Cardington.

P3290361.JPG

There are lots of daffodils lining the roads at the moment but this was a good display of them at Cound.

P3290362.JPG

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc again from near Betton Abbots. After taking this pic I turned back to face the road in time to see a chap looking like a middle-manager driving past while swigging from a can of cider. Makes a change from being on the phone I suppose.:wacko:

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy obviously sparkled this afternoon, maybe it was because a motor cyclist alongside in a queue of traffic referred to it as a nice bike, but with the wind seemingly largely directionless, nearly always semi cross and semi head it came as a surprise to find 18 Strava PRs. 34.03 miles with 1528ft of climbing at 13.8 mph average.
Killinghall3.jpg

Ripley6.jpg

Scotton4.jpg
Farnham2.jpg
Ferrensby1.jpg
Arkendale 3.jpg
NDeighton.jpg
29-03 route.jpg
29-03 elevation.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out into the sunshine this morning with no real plan other than to go for a ride.
Within half a mile of home, the sun had gone in and the temperature had dropped a few degrees so i was glad I'd layered up.
Up Coal Road and then Red Hall Lane, getting 3 close passes in under two miles :dry:
The A58, then Whin Moor Lane towards Shadwell. Onto Gateland Lane and a cat was proudly strutting along the road with a present for it's owner in it's mouth - oh dear, poor little bunny! :eek:
Through Shadwell and the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, which changed to green just as I arrived at them - a rare treat. However just as I turned right there was an ambulance blocking the road with the crew attending to a casualty (pedestrian) on the floor and a police officer directing traffic off the road and through an adjacent car park to get round the scene. Hopefully the person is OK.

Down through the dip and up onto Tarn Lane, with the breeze behind me all the way to Scarcroft, where Ling Lane took me back to the A58 and the long downhil run through the village and on to Bardsey. It's a 30 mph limit on here and for once no-one tried to overtake me until the NSL kicked in again after the villages.
Stopped at the lights at the bottom of Rigton Bank (payback for earlier) and on to Collingham.
A dogleg zig zag and out across the river to Linton for the usual ups and downs to the fringes of Wetherby, then through the town and nearly falling victim to a SMIDSY as a car pulled out but he stopped just in time and I had room to get past his front bumper.
Out on the Walton Road and across the A1(M) past the racecourse to Walton, then down the hill to Thorp Arch, where I stopped at All Saints Church for an oaty bar and a pic:

IMG_20190330_093705364_BURST000_COVER_x.jpg

I've stopped here many times before, but never noticed before that the church has a sundial on it's tower instead of the more usual clock!
Hopefully they'll remember to change it tonight.:whistle:

Down into the village and over the river, up the other side and the usual wiggle on Main Street before heading for Clifford.
Through there and down the hill into Bramham getting another close pass from a driver who then stopped 100m up the road to let a horse through the biggest gap I've ever seen - no problem them being cautious around the hoss, but lets share that care about a bit eh?
Up the hill and across the A1(M) again, waved through by a very nice Harrogate Bus Co driver and the steady climb alongside Bramham Park.
Straight on at the junction and through the smaller Wothersome Dip, and up the other side, slowly.
More slow grinding up to Jewitt Lane where I turned off and did a triangular loop via Compton and Rigton Green back to almost where I'd turned off earlier.
Along Milner Lane to Thorner, getting passed by a mute group ride :rolleyes:
Out of the village on Carr Lane for the ups, downs and more ups to the A58, along there to Coal Road, up the hill and then local roads to home with a final loop around the block.

31.44 miles (50.57 km) in 2h 36m at an average of just 12.0 mph with 1,666 ft climbed and an average temperature of 9.3°C

Really pleased to get another metric half in, but clearly I need to work on regaining some fitness as it was hard work on the last third of the ride.
Spring has definitely arrived now - flowers on the verges (there seemed to be daffodils everywhere today), lambs in the fields and eventually the sun returned and stayed out for the rest of the ride.
Not quite shorts weather, but we're getting close.
Even far too many numpty drivers can't spoil that.

And to end, the map:
30032019.JPG

gavgav

Guru
I’m up in Wales, for the first time in 2019, as we’ve opened the caravan up for the season. Finally got my March challenge ride in, after a month of not being able to get out on the bike very much.

Awoke to cloud, but the sun soon came out and it was glorious as I set off on what is my favourite bike ride. There was a nip in the air, but very little wind and pleasant in the sunshine.

Down the busy main road to Barmouth, which is never much fun, but the traffic was considerate today, until I almost got to my turn off, where I had 3 cars give close passes around a bend where there are double white lines :wacko:

Dropped down to the seafront and enjoyed the fabulous views up the coast.
9BC42354-444B-4861-BC64-BFAAE5F72032.jpeg

A few obstacles to contend with, along the promenade, debris that the sea has deposited over the winter and a throng of Japanese tourists who stepped out into my path, necessitating an emergency stop :eek:

Crossed Barmouth Bridge, with great views up the Mawddach estuary.
E6EA4BA5-4E99-44FB-841B-6547468B4282.jpeg
341D0954-6928-4E4B-A4EB-E30ABA078762.jpeg
574DA6A7-1B1D-4BE0-AF9B-7ECEB9E597BB.jpeg

The next section up the Mawddach Trail is simply heaven, with a mostly flat gravel track, stunning views and quite a few cyclists and walkers out enjoying the sunshine. It’s as dry as I’ve seen the trail, as well, which shows how dry the weather has been over the Winter, up here.

I paused at Dolgellau, for a snack, before beginning the long hard climb up Fford Bodlandeb, to the foothills of Cader Idris. Wound my way up, with the legs not feeling too bad, unfortunately also experiencing an idiot farmer, in his land rover who came barrelling past me, on one of the narrowest sections. I could tell, from the noise behind, that he wasn’t slowing down and so I headed for the ditch, to avoid being knocked off. Absolute utter knob. I was hoping to find him further up the lane, but didn’t, which was probably for the best, as I felt like knocking his block off.

The lovely scenery at one of my favourite places, Cregennan Lakes, thankfully improved my mood again and I paused for lunch in my usual spot.
7F3E0D53-FC80-4CF0-A167-F4DF28395013.jpeg
52241707-A6C2-4527-8905-436051726898.jpeg
8D840AE9-493D-4483-A50A-C3B9C0CD69D5.jpeg

I enjoyed the steep fast descent to Arthog, but it was quite chilly into what breeze there was
F90DE835-88DF-41B0-BF79-CF7E5782E235.jpeg

A short fast section out on the main road, before rejoining the Mawddach Trail and back across the now busy Barmouth Bridge, into the Town, where loads of people had arrived to enjoy the sunshine.

Back along the main road, to Dyffryn, which wasn’t fun with a plethora of close passes and cars overtaking me into traffic coming head on. People are just so impatient these days.

33.2 miles at a very slow avg speed of 10.4mph.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a morning geeking at pasqueflower
F0E37C49-CAA0-4E4C-A540-B78E74B4C0D3.jpeg

I came home, a bite to eat, then out for a ride on my Cube in the sun.
Around Kingston and the Eversdens, feeling a little chilly....
In Haslingfield I was headed toward Harston. But at the bottom of Chapel Hill I did an emergency stop, and decided to go up it from a standing start....?

Idiot.

Through Barrington, past Wimpole, and up Old Wimpole hill. Not been this way for ages. A blast up the A1198 and a turn off in Longstowe for the Gransdens.
In Longstowe there was some new life
616F9655-E323-426D-B782-72D6ACBBABF0.jpeg

Further along I stopped to take a pic of the patch of Wood Anemone
F410A404-5F8D-466A-887E-2B83CF6D5620.jpeg

Which is about 30 feet from my favourite dead tree
B5723F53-0B70-4147-9C5D-29994B9E29B0.jpeg

And just over the road from the gliding club
F9013802-0106-49A4-9DC5-A6AB76BF2679.jpeg

Home through the Gransdens and Bourn.

32 sunny miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2252161174

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First outing of the year for the Galaxy this afternoon. I couldn't be out for long so went for a blast anti-clockwise round my Acton Burnell loop.

There wasn't too much traffic on the road and with a northerly wind at my back I had a pretty good start to the ride. At Longnor I turned back towards the wind which initially did make quite a difference to the speed but getting down onto the drops helped a lot.

There weren't many cyclists about this afternoon which surprised me a bit (maybe the misty and cold morning put them off?). Of the ones I did encounter I managed to overtake one rider and caught another just before he turned off.

I finished off with a bit of a loop round the village giving 17.5 miles this time at 16.6 mph average. Quite happy with that.

I was too busy riding to take photos.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
E341378D-2CC8-4B3F-B677-AA9EC0D1FB6C.jpeg

A quick ride late afternoon after listening to the footie...C’mon Leeds United!!!!
A short 19.5 miles on the Tricross with an average of 16 mph, lovely ride.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
7A069904-02B7-495B-A6AD-0AE8FAF84A2D.jpeg
Afternoon off, gorgeous day, so went out on my Epic, love this bike, all the sales and magazine journalism hype is absolutely spot on, it makes me smile even against a head wind..
The ride back was super fast, tail winds should be made law :laugh:
Nice xc ride 16 miles according strava, but its a pain, keeps switching off, but usually recovers after phone powered down.
I did about 20 miles but it's just showing a straight line home which is not possible as I retraced most of my outward ride..

I have 4 bottles of my favorite Everards Tiger bitter to consume now, ive earned it.

View attachment 459795 View attachment 459790 View attachment 459793 View attachment 459794
I bought an Epic back in 2010, even the old 26ers are fantastic XC bikes.

Mike_P

Guru
West on a windy Penny Pot on the Defy probably for the last time before the road is repaired again as a sign said it was closed for 3 weeks from next Thursday. Then north on the B6451 across a very quite A59 at Dangerous Corner
DangerC.jpg

Headed west then north west through Thruscross at times with most of the surrounding landscape at a lower level, still windy.
Nr Thruss.jpg

Turned to the north east along Braithwaite Lane, which typically went down hill, round a sharp bend and then upwards
BraithLn.jpg

At the end decided not to head north as that road went sharply up a hillside. So south east on a road that often pretty narrow and with pot holes albeit avoidable. One of the better stretches was this downhill section, as normal with a sharp bend at the foot precluding any decent run at the hill beyond
Pad-Thorn x.jpg

North east on Dairy Lane to the B6451 then through Dace, down to Dacre Banks and on a PR on the sharp short climb into Summerbidge. Thence east on the undulating B6165
B6165-2.jpg

Through Burnt Yates and Bedlam to Ripley, then on the Nidderdale Greenway with a PR for the section to Bilton Viaduct
niddgrn.jpg

30.63 miles 2068ft climbed Avg 12.2mph
30 Mar 2019.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
strava895601368537947159.jpg
a great wee run with our grandson this afternoon.
We hadn't even arrived home from our overnight journey down from Orkney when he asked if we could go out on our bikes.
So we headed to down the canal to the BMX track in Clydebank.
I went on my hybrid so I could do a couple of laps with him.

IMG_20190330_134554426.jpg
Had to stop at McDonald's and got to sit outside in the sun.
They don't have McDs on Orkney so when he's in Glasgow it's what he wants.

Lovely afternoon.

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190330_182329.jpg

Still got the undiagnosed click on the BTwin so yesterday afternoon I got out my Dawes Galaxy which hasn't been touched since I went clipless a year ago. It still has toe clips on so I found some old shoes that I used to wear for cycling. I'll have to clean it properly next week but I quickly put some lube on before getting ready. I only had about half an hour free so enjoyed a leisurely ride around Ellenbrook trying to find signs. I also went to the park I'd found when I did lots of walking while I was off the bike. I've decided to take a series of pictures of the trees over 12 months starting from last Autumn. Anyway, I have the family round today so it was the only ride I'll get this weekend and it was just good to be out.

Top Bottom