Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. 8mph

8mph Senior Member

I've been riding since 8am and it's now 9pm and I've only managed 80 miles. I'm ten miles away from the beach where I'm going to camp for the night but I'm having a rest as I have to backtrack 1.4 miles.
    It's been hot, hilly and very bumpy, I'm on my 6th litre of water.
    I've got to cover 60 miles per day for the next 3 weeks in order to catch my flight from Delhi. Today has been tough going trying to get ahead of schedule. There are another 200 miles of mountains and hills before I reach the plains where I'm hoping to cover more ground and have a couple of days off IMG_20190309_065054.jpg

IMG_20190309_065031.jpg
    This poor little pup had my ration of oats this morning and wanted to tag along.

2. Mike_P

Mike_P Veteran

Far too much time taken up today on the relatively simple task (according to a youtube video) of changing the plastic gear wheel in the ebike motor to a metal one. The plastic one was okay but I did not fancy leaving it until it wore down as that no doubt would occur at a very inconvenient moment. The problem was trying to shift the 35mm dia fixing nut, eventually the thread lock was loosened using a mini blow torch and changing the gear wheel was indeed a simple matter. So far later than anticipated, past 4pm, an ebike test ride of 7.8 miles and 556ft of serious gear meshing amongst the stacks of grease I had layered on it. Dry but definitely on the windy side.

Dark46, Pat "5mph", PeteXXX and 11 others like this.
  3. TigerT

TigerT Über Member

Bit of a bonus ride today. The weather here is forecast to be bad, so I’d resigned myself to staying indoors. However a window opened up for 3 hour at about 11am with no rain but really gusting winds.

I thought I’d give it a try. I decided on the usual run over to Baden for a coffee. It’s pretty much a straight line and direct into the wind on the way out meaning a tailwind home.

The ride out was difficult, I spent most of the time in the small ring (which on this route I wouldn’t normally use at all) and barely got over 15km/h. In the crosswinds It was hard just to steer straight!

It took me 15minutes longer to get to Baden than normal, but The worst was over.

I enjoyed a large coffee and headed back. Much better! While the crosswinds were still tricky, the tailwinds were fantastic.

Glad I got out, the promised rain arrived soon after I got back. 54kms done and I can definitely feel it.

CC8C542E-5FBF-4332-8AE8-7E0FB3DDE8CB.jpeg

8mph, Dark46, Pat "5mph" and 14 others like this.
  4. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

Lovely bike :wub:

Leaway2, Dark46, Pat "5mph" and 2 others like this.
  5. CarlP

CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

Thanks Mrs M, as you probably know it was a labour of love and a complete folly, but I like it.

Mrs M likes this.
  6. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

My legs are knackered, sore and walking down the stairs hurts:sad: One is not impressed. A mere 2.68 miles to buy bread today, I do hope things settle down soon as I still have 2 challenge rides to go, and it's the big ones....

8mph, Dark46, Rickshaw Phil and 9 others like this.
  7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

A tough day in the Nature today. Wind and rain in spades. The organiser known for his ‘Will’s Hills’ wasn’t shy at all about shoving in some iconic hills from the South West. Harptree Hill, Evercreech, King Alfred’s Tower, Batcombe Climb and Publow Hill. 250km because I rode to and from the event (an extra 45km) and 3567m in elevation (155 miles and 11,703 feet elevation) earned 2.75 AAA point (Audax Altitude Award) I also completed my first RRTY award (Randonneurs Round the Year) which entails completing a minimum 200km ride, every month for a year (miss one month and you start again) so all in all, today was actually historic for me.

A5163F9F-21E3-49E6-9594-5139AF1FBA56.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: 10 Mar 2019
    ColinJ, 8mph, Dark46 and 24 others like this.
  8. C R

C R Über Member

:notworthy:

Stonechat and Heltor Chasca like this.
  9. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

A fine effort @Heltor Chasca . Puts my ride today in the shade, but I’ll bore you with it anyway... and I’d like you all to read it in your best pirate accent.

‘‘Twas a blowy, sullen morn in the depths of old South Cambridgeshire. They trees were a bending and splintering loike dry matchwood so they be. An evil looking sky spat and hissed, bullets of freezing rain peppered the ground....”

Can’t be arsed with the flowery prose.....!

An almost 10 mile loop before the winds get too silly round here. Yes there was cold rain. In Caldecote I stopped to admire these lovely creatures
    B4EAB482-3B89-424A-AC14-D7759E78D5E4.jpeg C75FF2EB-4264-40CC-B35F-EC0A9EAE9D1A.jpeg 08E18B14-EB52-40C6-BC0F-503AEA572894.jpeg

Belted Galloway and a shorthorn. These girls must be about to hatch, there were cows with small calves at foot further down the field.

Just after this something else black and white caught my eye, the rumps of a pair of Bullfinch flitting into a thicket.

Along the Bourn road and there are cycle event signs up, with marshals on the junctions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IpOwp2iCOZnW4sQXa-WwduyK93ku_NPD/view

I’ve been caught up in this before. I was left unmolested today, just the odd rider coming the other way. Not a nice day for it!

And home. Not even 10 miles. Pathetic.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2203217533

Last edited: 10 Mar 2019
    Dark46, Rickshaw Phil, CarlP and 13 others like this.
  10. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Had a plan to get out early before the wind really picks up and prepared to get wet . Pulled the curtains back to be greeted by snow !! . Roads were a bit slushy so faffed about for an hour before the roads cleared . Finally out the door at 0930 plans for a longer ride had already binned so an hour it is .Not raining as I roll out .Anstey ,Cropston ,Swithland were it started to drizzle properly swung left for a change around the back of Woodhouse Eaves to Quorn then my commuting route home . 16 miles done it some unpleasant conditions by the end :rain::cold: keeps my run of consecutive days going .

11. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

We had a couple of flakes and that was it. I headed south to do 20 miles, was surprised how warm it was (maybe I just got the clothing right), but I did get a good soaking. Brilliant sunshine now but the wind has started to pick up.

12. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Consecutive days... I blame @cosmicbike for all this silliness.

13. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

I started before @cosmicbike thread . But he may having heard someone mention cycling for 100 days and that was probably me :whistle: and then started the thread so I only have myself to blame .My 100 days set of @Supersuperleeds and now we're in a stand off to be the first to stop :banghead:it could be a long game

14. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

You told me you would stop at 500 :rolleyes:

Katherine, CarlP, Pat "5mph" and 2 others like this.
  15. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

There was a condition attached if you stopped a 500 :rolleyes:

Katherine, CarlP and Pat "5mph" like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice