Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which Contis do you use?

Hi Andy :smile:
I'm using 2.0 inch Race Kings, although in reality they are 48mm wide. I've always liked bigger tyres for several reasons, they are a sort of trademark of mine! They are the most comfortable tyres I ever used, and hum along great on tarmac! They are very 'hairy' tyres (with rubber strands) and I am wondering if they were specifically made that way for a reason?

Nice ride out in the afternoon :sun: to go and see the daffodils blooming along Branch Bank. A bit blustery though, and goodness, that northerly wind was cold... :cold:

So off to Littleport via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane. At the top of Parson's Lane, it's across the junction into Littleport proper, down Main Street and Victoria Street, over the railway and out to the river. Over the Ouse at the Swan, then left down Branch Bank into a stiff headwind.

The daffs are a bit past their best, but it's still a lovely display. There were also some magnolias in full bloom in some of the gardens.

Then it's up the climb to Sandhill Bridge. A left turn on the roundabout takes me back over the river. From there, a short blast along the A10, left onto Camel Road and back into Littleport. I felt good, so did another loop around Parson's Lane - but in the opposite direction to what I usually do - before heading for home.

Traffic seemed to be unusually courteous today, but there's always one - had a close pass on Woodfen Road by some numpty who simply *had* to get past despite low sun and oncoming traffic. Also, while riding along Main Street, almost flattened two young lads who were walking in the middle of the road, eyes glued to their smartphones - even a damn good yell barely made any difference to their level of distraction... :headshake:

Lovely ride though - 15 miles in total. But that wind was supposed to die down, not pick up... :wacko:

Oh Cambridgeshire, lucky you! That's a wonderful part of the world for cycling.
Young millenials with eyes glued to smartphones and not looking where they are going or at the real world around them....yes, this is a 21st century hazard that annoys me too :sad: In Bristol last month, I even saw two young girls enjoying a little gadget addiction, while sitting on and in the middle of (yes, on the white lines!) a busy city cycleway, not caring one bit about the many people yelling at them as they had to cycle around them.
Just crazy.

Oh Cambridgeshire, lucky you! That's a wonderful part of the world for cycling.
Young millenials with eyes glued to smartphones and not looking where they are going or at the real world around them....yes, this is a 21st century hazard that annoys me too :sad: In Bristol last month, I even saw two young girls enjoying a little gadget addiction, while sitting on and in the middle of (yes, on the white lines!) a busy city cycleway, not caring one bit about the many people yelling at them as they had to cycle around them.
Just crazy.

North east Cambridgeshire - out in the fens here. Planning a ride over to Welney (just over the border into Norfolk) on Thursday. :smile:

Yeah, it's a hazard alright. On the flip side, it lets me use some of my more, umm... creative... insults. :laugh: (Not that they seem to notice LOL)

North east Cambridgeshire - out in the fens here. Planning a ride over to Welney (just over the border into Norfolk) on Thursday. :smile:

Yeah, it's a hazard alright. On the flip side, it lets me use some of my more, umm... creative... insults. :laugh: (Not that they seem to notice LOL)

Hehe! I did notice that those Bristol girls did move eventually, when a water bottle squirted at them :smile: Now that's creative :biggrin:

The Fens always reminds me of the Somerset Levels, great for flat riding...until it's windy!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Must look out for it next time I'm over that way.
We can just see the cathedral from my village but I was amazed once when I climbed up the wind turbine in Swaffham (Norfolk) once as part of a tour, and you could see it from there too.
Excluding such architectural doping ;), I'm told you can see Ely cathedral from Gibbet Lane above Wereham on a clear day, but maybe I've never managed to be there on a clear enough one.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First outing of the year for my Raleigh this morning, accompanying my brother in to work again then heading out on my own afterwards to Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Cound Stank, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back via Lyth Hill.

The forecast promised a lighter wind today but it still seemed a bit breezy to me, and cold with it. We got into town a little faster than on Sunday and Doug seems to be liking being able to ride in to this new job. After parting from him I carried on along Smithfield Road in much busier traffic than last time and it felt pretty good being able to filter past the queues. I took a roundabout route through Sundorne to avoid the rough bit, rejoining the canal path for the tarmac section from Pimley Manor.

After riding the knockabout bike all winter the Raleigh feels nimble and fast so I was quite enjoying myself even when the wind was against me, which felt like a lot of the time this trip. At Cross Houses I braved the main A458 for a short stretch, which was fortunately one of the few places the wind was helping, and extended the ride but not too much as I had an appointment to get back for.

It was a bit slow between Acton Burnell and Longnor but from there it's mostly downhill to Condover. I found that I didn't fancy slogging against the wind to the main road and having to deal with the traffic hence going over Lyth Hill.

30.4 miles at 13.7 mph average which doesn't really reflect how much better this bike feels than the heavy Hawk. Looking forward to racking up lots more miles on the Raleigh now and I have a new saddle ready to go on it at some point which should be nice.

P3260345.JPG

Heading into town. The view from Greyfriars Bridge.

P3260347.JPG

The water level at the weir has dropped back to its normal level very quickly after the flood.

P3260348.JPG

On the old Atcham Bridge.

P3260350.JPG

At Acton Burnell

pjd57

Veteran
Screenshot_20190326-171758.png
my Mrs asked if I could pick up a small item from East Kilbride. No problem. Decent run out with a long steady climb.
Then " can you go to Bishopton as well "
No bother, I didn't bother mentioning that they weren't anywhere near each other.

After Bishopton it was over the Erskine Bridge and on to the canal to head back to Maryhill.
Popped into to see Mrs at work and noted that I was at 55+ miles , so had a local wander to get to the 100k.
Weather was decent. Slight breeze and only a few spots of rain.

Mike_P

Guru
Made the, in hindsight slighty dumb decision, to go south east on the Defy today. Largely reverse of yesterdays home run from Knaresborough
KnaresboroughG.jpg

Then south east through Little Ribston, then east through Cowthorpe to Tockwith. Turned south and did not notice a cross wind of any note so east on the B1224 through Bilton on Ainsty noting the somewhat flat vista
VoY2.jpg

to Long Marston and south east to Askham Richard.
AskhamR.jpg

Turning west thereafter the wind was evident after all and at Wighill I targeted the bench in front of the church, conveniently with litter bin, for a break.
wighill church.jpg

Continuing onwards beyond Walton was pretty unenjoyable battling the head wind on a pretty busy road so the tarmac, albeit aged and rough, NCN 665 was joined with the adjacent trees providing a degree of shelter. Cut through the commercial area of Wetherby pass All Terrain Cycles and Screwfix, and then headed north through North Deighton to join the outbound route; a good choice as high hedges on long stretches gave shelter. Not fancying the climb of the A59 out of Knaresborough given the wind opted to use the Beryl Burton Cycleway; PR overall if not on the steep bit.

46.02 miles 1820ft climbed, 13.3mph average
26-03 route.jpg

26-03 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Excluding such architectural doping ;), I'm told you can see Ely cathedral from Gibbet Lane above Wereham on a clear day, but maybe I've never managed to be there on a clear enough one.

I'll look out for that. Prickwillow- Brandon Bank- Wissington- Wereham is one of my favourite escape routes back to North Norfolk.

On another note, I'll be riding back to North Creake past Castle Rising tomorrow evening and I'm looking forward to riding through the gap in that dangerous fence for the first time, a gap that's been 'created' by someone who deserves a medal!

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
A busy morning.
Had to drop something off in Newlands.....leafy southside ££££s

Then headed back across Glasgow to the Free Wheel north run.
strava8510639684938510667.jpg
Dumbarton castle was the destination.
Nice run along the canal to Bowling, then a few miles on route 7, one of the better sections.

IMG_20190327_130317044.jpg

That's the view looking back up the Clyde to the Erskine Bridge.

43 dry and mild miles.

Mike_P

Guru
Dull overcast and feeling cold even if its not that cold - more like a typical day off work. So Ebike on domestic duties; farm shop out and back directly was the intent but after a few minutes of the outbound suddenly realised no lock on board so I quick U turn needed. That trip completed then inspected the new shed door that had arrived today within 24 hours of ordering from local sawmill and realised the hinges off the old door would not do due to the more hefty build of the new door so another Ebike trip to Tool Station. In total 13.8 miles 913ft up.

postman

Legendary Member
Made the, in hindsight slighty dumb decision, to go south east on the Defy today. Largely reverse of yesterdays home run from Knaresborough
View attachment 459403
Then south east through Little Ribston, then east through Cowthorpe to Tockwith. Turned south and did not notice a cross wind of any note so east on the B1224 through Bilton on Ainsty noting the somewhat flat vista
View attachment 459404
to Long Marston and south east to Askham Richard.
View attachment 459405
Turning west thereafter the wind was evident after all and at Wighill I targeted the bench in front of the church, conveniently with litter bin, for a break.
View attachment 459406
Continuing onwards beyond Walton was pretty unenjoyable battling the head wind on a pretty busy road so the tarmac, albeit aged and rough, NCN 665 was joined with the adjacent trees providing a degree of shelter. Cut through the commercial area of Wetherby pass All Terrain Cycles and Screwfix, and then headed north through North Deighton to join the outbound route; a good choice as high hedges on long stretches gave shelter. Not fancying the climb of the A59 out of Knaresborough given the wind opted to use the Beryl Burton Cycleway; PR overall if not on the steep bit.

46.02 miles 1820ft climbed, 13.3mph average
View attachment 459407
View attachment 459408

I know the area well.Not been out that way for twelve months or more though.

8mph

Veteran
Jaipur to Rewari, 116 miles. I had planned a shorter ride but when I arrived 2 hours earlier than expected I decided to carry on to the next city and shorten tomorrow's ride.
At about 8pm I bumped into a fellow cyclist and we cycled together for a few miles.
IMG_20190327_204441.jpg

He said that he had travelled for 10,000km around India.

postman

Legendary Member
:hyper:got out today.:bicycle:but don't be impressed only twenty two mins one way and because it was mostly downhill fifteen mins back.My visit to Jack my 82 year old postie mate.Since i was last there,the 38 and 39 bus routes have ceased no profit in them.So stuff you passengers,ever heard of the word SERVICE then,nah profit profit profit.So today and every visit it will be mountain bike.I was thinking of not going giving an excuse,but since his wife died late last year,i know how important a visit is to lonely people,it's why i sit with George two nights a week visit Jack every two weeks and go see Ernie in Hunmanby once or it could go to twice a year,and cycling is good exercise,and i kept away fro all the busy roads.

Top Bottom