Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
@Glow worm
@Reynard

In Caldecote, just up from Hardwick, the old A428 goes over the new 428. On a clear day you can see Ely cathedral. And.... I always look!

Must be over 20 miles as the crow flies.

Must look out for it next time I'm over that way.
We can just see the cathedral from my village but I was amazed once when I climbed up the wind turbine in Swaffham (Norfolk) once as part of a tour, and you could see it from there too.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Must look out for it next time I'm over that way.
We can just see the cathedral from my village but I was amazed once when I climbed up the wind turbine in Swaffham (Norfolk) once as part of a tour, and you could see it from there too.

And The Gog Magogs too

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I took the family out for a ride on Monsal Trail in Derbyshire today. I thought there would be a few people around with the weather being nice albeit cold. I didn't expect there to be a half marathon in progress! Fortunately, it was nearly over and the runners were headed towards us. After a couple of miles we passed the stragglers. It was lovely in the sunshine but very cold in the shade and freezing in the three tunnels.

We all enjoyed it though, even my fair-weather-cycling-only wife. This was her first ride of the year. She slept for an hour and half when we got home! A few more rides and she'll get her riding legs back.

19.5 km although with a blip in the GPS recording, but the distance won't be far out (+/- 0.5 km).

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I took the family out for a ride on Monsal Trail in Derbyshire today. I thought there would be a few people around with the weather being nice albeit cold. I didn't expect there to be a half marathon in progress! Fortunately, it was nearly over and the runners were headed towards us. After a couple of miles we passed the stragglers. It was lovely in the sunshine but very cold in the shade and freezing in the three tunnels.

We all enjoyed it though, even my fair-weather-cycling-only wife. This was her first ride of the year. She slept for an hour and half when we got home! A few more rides and she'll get her riding legs back.

19.5 km although with a blip in the GPS recording, but the distance won't be far out (+/- 0.5 km).
I forgot to add that on the way to Monsal, we passed a chap riding a penny farthing and the hill he was ascending was rather steep! And then, on the trail, several times we passed / were passed by a unicycling group ride. These were serious unicycles with MTB-type tyres, some had a handlebar (looked like narrow aero bars but without the arm rests), one chap had even mounted twin bottle cages to his seat post. And they were fast! The kids were fascinated. :hyper:

Katherine

Guru
Sunday morning, 38 slow miles in strong biting winds and glorious sunshine. I was going to do my own thing yesterday but went out with the group after all when the club ride was advertised as going to Dunham Massey which I needed for the ABC challenge, plus a couple of returnees said they were going.
I was still the slowest on the way out but not on the way back.
It was lovely to ride along the lanes and see lambs , trees in bud, dafffs everywhere, its like everything is new, so it was probably a good thing to be in the group or I would have stopped far too many times for photos.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another short one this morning just round my Acton Burnell loop (clockwise this time) then back over Lyth Hill.

The wind is cold again but the sunshine is lovely. I had a really good tailwind for the first half, then plodded back against it from the crossroads near Longnor. A benefit of the wind over the last few days is that all the roads are now dusty rather than muddy.

A small number of cyclists out and one horse rider. At Ryton I encountered a lady on a motor scooter with L plates who came up to the junction, stopped and pushed her machine round the corner. I enquired whether everything was alright and she said that she wasn't sure she'd get it round the tight corner and that she was just out for a practice. Fair enough - we've all got to start somewhere.

18.1 miles at 14.3 mph average.

DSC0007357.jpg

At the junction for Ryton just before the scooterist arrived.

DSC0007358.jpg

DSC0007359.jpg

A couple of angles of the view from Lyth Hill - did I mention the fabulous sunshine?:sun:

After many delays in completing a custom build for myself, finally me and new bike enjoyed our 'maiden voyage' together for 20 miles or so. Much needed for improving my confidence which took a big knock (literally) in recent times. It was great to see my carefully specced machine perform perfectly, although I might need a few rides to get fully used to the new geometry and gear ratios, which i tend to learn flawlessly. Great ride alone through local villages in spring sunshine! Made it to train station before taking train to (most of) the way home. Met a couple of great looking chicks on the train :smile: who were also cyclists, who mentioned a charity ride they will be doing next month, which sounded interesting if a bit too lobg for my fitness level at the moment.
I used to be much fitter (and lighter!) then i am now, but in time that will most likely change. My brand new Continental tyres are great, being so fast yet also plush and confortable too. Very grippy and much quieter than i am used to, being an ex mtb rider. Found myself stuck in a rural lane at one point, surrounded by cows moving from one field to another, and found it typically ironic, being thirsty for a drop of milk.
Now waiting for weather to warm up, to justify an ice cream stop! :smile:

My brand new Continental tyres are great

Which Contis do you use?

Nice ride out in the afternoon :sun: to go and see the daffodils blooming along Branch Bank. A bit blustery though, and goodness, that northerly wind was cold... :cold:

So off to Littleport via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane. At the top of Parson's Lane, it's across the junction into Littleport proper, down Main Street and Victoria Street, over the railway and out to the river. Over the Ouse at the Swan, then left down Branch Bank into a stiff headwind.

The daffs are a bit past their best, but it's still a lovely display. There were also some magnolias in full bloom in some of the gardens.

Then it's up the climb to Sandhill Bridge. A left turn on the roundabout takes me back over the river. From there, a short blast along the A10, left onto Camel Road and back into Littleport. I felt good, so did another loop around Parson's Lane - but in the opposite direction to what I usually do - before heading for home.

Traffic seemed to be unusually courteous today, but there's always one - had a close pass on Woodfen Road by some numpty who simply *had* to get past despite low sun and oncoming traffic. Also, while riding along Main Street, almost flattened two young lads who were walking in the middle of the road, eyes glued to their smartphones - even a damn good yell barely made any difference to their level of distraction... :headshake:

Lovely ride though - 15 miles in total. But that wind was supposed to die down, not pick up... :wacko:

Mike_P

Guru
Week off work usually means the weather takes a turn for the worse but maybe not this time. Was concerned yesterday with the wind locally taking on gale proportions but today was calmer and sunny but cool wind = thinnest bib longs. Road bike north towards Killinghall passing yet another field being used to grow houses:ohmy:
towards Khall.jpg

A61 to Ripley and then up Birthwaite Lane, the climb varying in grade but this where it jumps from c 9% to c 13%
Birthwaite .jpg

Although not my quickest up the climb, the continued Strava segment including the climb then onto Bishop Thornton crossroads was a PR. The bus turning at the crossroads is one of those increasingly rare rural services, the passengers (there were at least two) no doubt relieved at catching it as the next one is on Thursday.
BT Xrds.jpg

Joined the eastbound route of NCN688 “Way of the Roses” as far as How Hill where I decided to turn into Whitcliffe Lane; why the relatively new dead end sign:huh:
Howhill WhitLn.jpg

Obviously recently properly resurfaced I had visions of bollards as some point precluding it being used as a through road to Ripon . How wrong I was as it having passed a number of properties it turned to a muddy section quickly followed by a loose stone surface on reasonably steep descents and ascents.
WhitLn.jpg

Clearly cycle cross territory but not road bike. Anyway it was a nice sunny afternoon so time for a walk. After about a third of a mile it joined a tarmac road with a wooden picnic table and benches next to the junction which use was made of for a snack. Back on a tarmac surface and noting non NCN cycleway signs I assumed a decent surface but sadly not and it was a case of dodging numerous potholes. Reaching suburban Ripon it finally returned into a decent road. Cutting through the southern suburbs I briefly rejoined NCN688 but carried on direct via Knaresborough Road towards Bishop Monkton involving a somewhat awkward right turn onto the Ripon by-pass then left off. Once the NCN rejoined Knaresborough Road after its route through Littlethorpe the abandoned Harrogate-Ripon-Northallerton railway was passed under; further to the south this is used by part of NCN67
Br nr BM.jpg

Headed east from Bishop Monkton to Roecliffe (another PR)
Roecliffe2.jpg

and then via the fringes of Boroughbridge through Minskip to Staveley and roadside bench acquired, time for another snack. Thence up from Occancy to the crossroads east of Farnham then via the delightfully named Farnham Back Passage, a one way downhill road that avoids Farnham. From Knaresborough followed the A59 jumping onto adjacent cycleway as far as the Golf Club before Forest Lane Head - Occaney to the Golf Club was a continuous procession of PRs^_^ Turned off to pick up the full length of Bilton Lane noting a dead end sign with an explanation of closed by gate – um, maybe Whitcliffe Lane should have an appropriate explanation added to its sign.
Just one near miss and that was of the canine variety, some stupid mutt that decided to run directly towards the approaching bike:wacko:
35.3 miles 1725ft upwards. Average 12.8mph
25-03 route.jpg

25-03 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride Sunday - 112Km....wore me out...and I had a headwind all the way from Medbourne to home. Lovely day though - took the Burls Ti bike out for its first spin of the year.

Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Great Glen - Houghton on the Hill - Ingarsby - Keyham -Beeby -Hungarton -Lowesby -Marefield - Burrough on the Hill -Somerby - Loddington - Alexton -Stockerston - Eyebrook Reservoir - Great Easton -Drayton - Nevill Holt - Medbourne - Slawston - Cranoe - Glooston Goadby - Carlton Curlieu - Kibworth Harcourt - Wistow - Kilby - Foston - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Quite hilly but I made it!

Actually did a few rides this week, 2 at 41Km on the Bob Jackson and one a bit shorter (30 odd) to test out my hybrid as I just renewed the shifters, front mech, chai and cassette. Works nicely

8mph

Veteran
98 miles, which should have been 90 but I was complacent about checking my navigation app and added 8 miles to my journey from Pushkar to Jaipur.
Nothing very spectacular to report, though I did get stopped by a policeman on a motorbike. He lectured me on the dangers of driving on the Indian highway and when I told him that I had used them for 2000 miles he wanted to talk about cricket and football. I had to disappoint him and tell him that I only like cycling, which isn't strictly true, you can have too much of a
good thing, even cycling, this i have found out!
I use a low gear all day, time my arrival for sunset, when it gets cooler and neck about a litre of Pepsi on the outskirts of the city, put on some music and enjoy the ride in. This formula works well for me, if I don't have some energy in reserve it feels like battling one's way into the city. 160 miles to go, a 6mph tail wind forecast for Wednesday!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom