Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
28ish miles Hartshead- Dovestones- Dick hill- Strinesdale. The new rig is settling down nicely thankyouverymuch.
20190324_144242.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Had a message from big sister last night do I want to meet at the Alpaca farm near Ashby for breakfast . So quick Google search located the Alpaca farm which I had a rough idea where it was . Route planned so time arranged 1100 so a nice relaxed start of 9.45 . Out the door on the TCR again through Newtown Linford up to Markfield and across the hills around Bagworth to the village of Snarestone and rolls into the car park . No sister car in site checks phone message says we're here ? . A phone call later and we discover were at different alpaca farms :banghead:how many can there be near Ashby .It's was a 15 minutes drive or 40 minutes ride between the 2 so we agreed to not bother meeting as my Nephew wanted to visit the 1 they were at as his friend worked there. So Billy no mates had a quiet breakfast on his own . After refuelling on a sausage sandwich I headed further out to Appleby Magna then turned for home via the lovely lanes around Market Bosworth .Went through Peckleton just to have a strava attempt at the hill . Managed a pr ^_^ all down to the new bike . Home with 50.8 miles bagged. Another lovely enjoyable ride loads of riders out today some I past twice as we did loops in different direction

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out just after 9 am on the Giant, with plans to do something similar to yesterdays ride.

For a bit of variety though I turned left off Coal Road up Red Hall Lane to the A58 and after waiting for what felt like an age for a gap in the traffic, headed along there to Whin Moor Lane and out into the countryside.
Once I'd cleared the first section it's quite open and by 'eck was it windy - the forecast had said it might be breezy, but this was right in my face and seriously slowed me down. I was grateful to reach Gatelands Lane and the shelter of a tall hedge for the last section into Shadwell.
I had intended to head up to Slaid Hill lights and loop back along Tarn Lane, but the idea of slogging into that wind for more than a mile didn't appeal, so I turned left and descended back through the village, up the short rise to the A58 again and across onto Carr Lane.
It's much nicer to ride Carr Lane in this direction as it's mostly downhill into Thorner, with just one relatively short bit of climbing in the middle.

So, I was soon in Thorner and checking the time and that pesky wind, turned right on Main Street through the village and climbed up Sandhills, slowly, but I eventually reached the top and after a short while turned right onto Skeltons Lane and unfortunately back into that headwind. Nowt to do but drop down a few gears and keep pedalling.

At the mini-roundabout it was left onto Coal Road for a spin and then onto local roads to home, with an extended loop to push me into double figures.

10.34 miles (16.99 km) in 55m at 11.3 mph with 577 ft climbed and an average temperature of 6.1°C

Happy just to get out on consecutive days after 3 weeks off the bike, so can't complain at that. The weather today would have probably been ideal if it hadn't been for that wind. Just need to keep plugging away at it now.

And to end, the map:
24032019.JPG

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Very enjoyable blast round one of my favourite routes, today. Should have gone another couple of miles via Eccleston, then along side river, but still thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

55910095_2019812164981396_3551864668765028352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

55448580_2019805928315353_5523156680835072000_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

55500795_2019805988315347_8748352618171990016_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

54520487_2019805521648727_3693193582706950144_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Bonus by the Dee in town as 'The March of the mods' was on. Should really have wheeled my scooter out and joined them, but got 'slightly' drunk last night and operate a personal 'no driving the next day' thing after a night on the ale. Anyhow, good turn out and there were quite a few more yet to come...

55539181_2019805581648721_4749092768234602496_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Noooooo ! I've today stripped out my old Mtb which looks like, maybe, it's the same model.

View attachment 459062

It's going to the painters and will be given a new lease of life. The third life no less.
You can't go throwing things out. It's not allowed !

The small pile of bits on the floor are the remains I could salvage: they'll get a new lease of life on other bikes, including one that is being rattle canned in the next week or two.

The frame was hammered though: I know the previous owner and (at the time) he wasn't very good at looking after bikes,

Are you posting pictures of the renovation?

[Edited for appallingly bad typos]

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
The small pile of bits on the floor are the remains I could salvage: they'll get a new lease of life on other bikes, don't worry.

The frame was hammered though: I know the previous owner and (at the time) he wasn't very good at looking after bikes, including one that is being rattle canned in the next week or two.

Are you posting pictures of the renovation?
I will do yes. I'm about to seek ideas for colour. I shall take soundings of the assembled CC personel and once I have the opinions and ideas I shall
go with the concensus. do what I have in mind already.

C R

Guru
@vickster votes for black :okay:
Silver for me
I agree with @vickster :okay:. (Where's the tongue in cheek emoticon?)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Great pub lunch in Swaffham Prior with friends, then headed off to Kingfisher Bridge Nature Reserve near Ely.

Ely.jpg

There's a small hill with hides overlooking the lake. You can see Ely Cathedral from there (they've created a gap in the trees for this which is a nice touch).

The first sand martin I've seen this spring flew right past me, then two cranes landed near the lake. Marsh harrier another highlight.

Cycled home via Wicken Fen and saw a bullfinch there- they're quite rare in these parts. 21 miles in total here today.

Great pub lunch in Swaffham Prior with friends, then headed off to Kingfisher Bridge Nature Reserve near Ely.

View attachment 459065

There's a small hill with hides overlooking the lake. You can see Ely Cathedral from there (they've created a gap in the trees for this which is a nice touch).

The first sand martin I've seen this spring flew right past me, then two cranes landed near the lake. Marsh harrier another highlight.

Cycled home via Wicken Fen and saw a bullfinch there- they're quite rare in these parts. 21 miles in total here today.

That's the good thing about riding in this neck of the woods - as long as you can see Ely Cathedral, you're not lost. :laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It's Sunday, so it must be club ride day again. A great 40 mile loop over to the Forest of Dean this time. Two big hills (from Aston Ingham to Lea and from Longhope to Little London) on the way, and some serious speeding on the way back with a nice following wind getting us up over 23mph for a few miles. Some great descents too, but also a couple of P*n*t*r*s and a road rage incident that held us up a bit. Our group wasn't involved in the latter, but came across the aftermath near Aston Ingham. Some lowlife in a Landrover Disco had been weaving in and out of traffic aggressively and then by all accounts driving straight at some cyclists from Monmouth Cycling Club. We found him being penned in by cars and cyclists and cowering in the driving seat with a beanie hat and a hand covering his face, and refusing to leave the vehicle or to talk to anyone. He stayed like that until the police turned up. Soon forgotten, and a sit down with a great flapjack and coffee at the café at Harts Barn near Longhope was very enjoyable. Making up for lost time cycling this month now, with 80 miles done in 3 rides since Wednesday. Perfect weather today. Lovely.
Cheers, Donger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A shortish one this morning. My brother was working today and was going to try cycling in for the first time (as well as being his first ride of the year) so I joined him to give a bit of company.

The few miles to his work were mostly pretty straightforward apart from finding a Park Run going on in The Quarry which slowed us down rather. That's saying something as we were already going pretty slow so that he wouldn't get sweaty before work. We still got there with plenty of time to spare though. After leaving Doug I headed through Shrewsbury along Smithfield Road and out of town past the old prison, along Sydney Avenue and along the old canal path to Uffington encountering a horse and rider on the way which isn't something you generally see down here.

I had a tailwind on the way to Upton Magna which was nice but then turned back towards it after the village which wasn't so good. It was a lovely sunny day today but the wind was quite strong and fairly cold too.

At Atcham I needed to tweak the rear wheel as it had gone slightly out of alignment again. Not sure why it's started doing this all of a sudden. I've changed to an internal cam QR skewer after the last slip and it's certainly done up tight enough.:scratch:

The climb at Cronkhill seemed fairly easy today and at Cross Houses I found the main road pleaseantly quiet for the short stretch I needed to use. On the way to Allfield I was keeping pace reasonably well with a chap on a much sportier bike (until I needed to stop for an oncoming car at a narrow section) although seeing him taking a selfie while riding I suspect he wasn't out to set any records.:whistle:

At the Allfield junction there was a rider stopped. I checked to see if they were alright and it was a rear puncture. I offered a repair but she turned that down saying she wasn't far from home and was going to walk. Fair enough, but I still feel bad at leaving a fellow rider without helping out.

I went for the short route home after Condover and had to battle that headwind again for the last few miles.

Lots of other cyclists out today and fewer motor vehicles than I'm used to, which I liked.

20.4 miles at 12.3 mph average.

No photos this time. I did take one but it hasn't come out as hoped.

Top Bottom