Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had to drop car off at garage 20 miles away, perfect excuse to cycle back home :-)
upload_2019-3-23_19-54-55.png

upload_2019-3-23_19-56-37.png

upload_2019-3-23_19-57-8.png

Warkworth Castle
upload_2019-3-23_19-57-55.png

The other side of the castle...
upload_2019-3-23_19-58-38.png

theloafer

Legendary Member
weather for tomorrow here is also bad ... and as there was a little ray of sunshine I dragged the g/f off the sofa this morning and popped out for a little jaunt no set route just made it up as I went :laugh:... 45 miles and really enjoyed the day g/f was a little achy as she not getting out as much .. but promised her ice cream at the end at her favourite pit stop at Archer`s https://www.strava.com/activities/2234894922

WP_20190323_001.jpg WP_20190323_002.jpg WP_20190323_007.jpg WP_20190323_012.jpg WP_20190323_013.jpg WP_20190323_016.jpg WP_20190323_018.jpg WP_20190323_020.jpg

bruce1530

Guru
Lots of cyclists on the road today. I blame the pleasant weather :-)

I’ve struggled to get out this month, with weather, colds, family stuff and DIY commitments. Took yesterday off work, and hoped to get a wee trip, but the weather was awful.

But this morning was dry and bright, if a touch breezy. I briefly considered abandoning the winter gear, but stuck with the longs, the big gloves and the cycling boots - which was a good move!

Through the town, and followed the national cycle route to Kilwinning. Uneventful, although one section of the road, near a farm, was very muddy - almost felt like ice! And I don’t think it was mud.....

On through Irvine on NCN7, to find a barrier across the route at a railway bridge. Diversion wasn’t signed - was obvious to me, but only because I know the area. Got chatting to a chap who was not so familiar with the area - he was cycling from Kintyre to Newton Stewart, and had got off the ferry at Ardrossan, near my house. Rode along with him for a few minutes, past the diversion, then we went different ways. I pootled about the harbour area for a bit, then followed the road parallel to NCN7 towards Gailles, then Barassie.

NCN7 at that point goes through Troon, mainly along the coast. I took the short cut via the local cycle network alongside the golf courses, and had a chat with another cyclist as we headed towards Prestwick Airport.

At that point, I turned back. The trip out had been easy - but the tailwind was now a headwind.

Back the way I came towards Irvine, avoiding the harbour area this time, going through the town centre. Brief chat with another cyclist coming int Kilwinning, before I turned left and followed the minor roads back home.

53k.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride to Heybridge Basin today. 4 of us set ofat 8-45 this morning, Had a good ride to the coast, one nobber in a car tried to spoil the ride, giving a load of verbal, but not the bottle to stop. Just another dick head motorist, but we where in Essex. Had a good lunch followed by cheesecake and ice cream,Then a nice ride home,the sun came out for a bit, got back to our local watering hole.a couple of beers then home for a shower,then up to the pub at the top of the road, where i treated my other half to a well deserved slap up meal, Really nice day out.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2234437460

Mike_P

Guru
Disturbed the road bike from its slumbers this afternoon; had it really been 3 weeks since it last turned a wheel. Usual westerly slog up Penny Pot thankful that I had picked my thick bib longs and got overtaken by a cyclist wearing shorts - presumably going that fast to try to keep warm:rolleyes:
South towards Norwood but decided to go along Parkinsons Lane, the last time I had been down their was not long after it had been surface treated (i.e. loose chippings). Those had started to wear away so it a slightly lumpy ride between smooth tarmac and sections of chippings.
Parkinson1ed.jpg

The climb pass Little Armscliffe was popular with other cyclists and I recorded a PR up it
LittleArm.jpg

Down to Beckwithshaw and a sharp right turn at the village entrance for the climb of Shaw Lane and another PR, this one by 34 seconds^_^
East at the top down Brackenthwaite Lane, a road I had not previously cycling along
BrackLn.jpg

nor had I cycled north through Burn Bridge and it surprised me how much of a climb it was. That was followed by the further climb to Rossett Green, one of those which does not look a problem but suddenly you find the need to change gear, and again, and again..., and turning right at the junction rather than continuing on is far more attractive. So north-eastwards through Harrogates southern suburbs and then south-east on Hornbeam Park, an commercial estate that was originally an ICI Research Centre and the original buildings largely remain along with newer structures including one that continues as open framework to form a pyramid.
Hornbeam Pk.jpg

I then picked up the properly surfaced cycle way to the Showground I had used last weekend on the ebike
Hornbeam Pk to Showground.jpg

The showground was once again a giant vehicle park - this time for a Motorhome Show. Followed last weeks ebike route to Forest Lane Head crossing the sole remaining local railway at Belmont Crossing, still with its box
Belmont.jpg

Cut through to the Starbeck Branch of NCN67
Starbeck Branch1.jpg

Thence up Bilton Lane and down the A59 turning off before the poor surface section. A long list of roads that are being resurfaced for the UCI Championships has been published but oddly that is not on it given it has been a stock feature of TdF and TdY
24.49 miles and 1575ft of climbing at an average of 12.3 mph
23-03 route and elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nothing special today, but after 2 days of trying to sort out what passes for a lawn, I had time for a quick ride in the late afternoon sunshine. Just a 20 mile loop through Levington & Nacton to the outskirts of Ipswich and then back home via Bucklesham. Surprisingly chilly in the north/north easterly breeze that had picked up during the day,
Screenshot_2019-03-23 Winding down Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-03-23 Winding down Ride Strava(1).png

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Full day bicycle ride today. 05:20 departure from Chez HC and 23:30 arrival after a 189 mile circuitous route through Somerset, Devon and Dorset. Despite the leg bending elevation of 11,269 feet, there was some respite on the Somerset Levels, a few Canal paths and railway paths. The Exe Valley was beautiful. Lumpy highlights were the Mendips including Cheddar Gorge, the Quantocks and the Blackdown Hills. Nothing as punishing as a the 50km along the Jurassic Coast which was veiled in light mist/rain. You could have been somewhere very exotic. And I think you know what? We were. We take for granted some of the gems this little island has to offer.

C4E12F5F-564D-4777-8148-03CD3DEF3D37.jpeg
3BEECED2-1DF4-46B0-9E5A-924F7BF7D37D.jpeg
4300EAA2-6FE1-4D23-A392-5528C7141F08.jpeg

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Just had a bit of a shock as I've coming on here to post yesterdays ride and in my alerts it says I've been a member here for 5 years!!! Where did that go?

I've a friend staying with me this weekend who's come up from the New Forest and he brought his bike with him. As I've never been to Cannop to use the facilities I've no idea if proces or anything and have no idea where to go with a MTB anywhere else around here, I thought if a take him down the Canal path from home to Saul junction for a spot of lunch .

So after pumping up the tyres and checking I had everything we were off.
So to start with it was road forcaboutca mile or so before we hut the canal path.

Here was my first shock as where we started the path had been treated with tarmac! At first I thought I could bring my road bike at some stage, but it didnt last. I think after we went over the second road junction it reverted back to hard mud and gravel.

To me it was the perfect weather for doing this, and everything went without a hitch. There weren't too many people fishing so we weren't having to avoid poles or anything. Everybody was polite and it was what cycling is all about to me enjoying yourself.

I dont think I've actually done the whole distance down to Saul before but I could be wrong I know I've been that way with @Donger but how far down by the canal we went I cant remember? But I dont remember at some stage going over the handle bars into stinging nettles!!

This ride took us down tpast the Pilot and down through Parkend and eventually to Saul Junction, next time I will go further down the canal as hopefully I will set off earlier to give more time.

Well typical me we got to Saul junction for a sport info dinner only to be told that they stopped serving food 10 minutes ago!!!!!!

So I expected it to be a 10 mile trip but it turned out to be over 15 miles tracing our steps on the way back. I will certainly have to do it again.
Screenshot_20190324-081357_Strava.jpg

Two rides yesterday. One was to take the sorry remains of this bike to the skip.

Before

2019_03_23_Recycling_01.JPG

After:

2019_03_23_Recycling_02.JPG

This was done by Bakfiets, although I completely forgot to photograph it full, this is on the return trip. The skip is in a section of the town that used to be a US military helicopter base, hence the rather unusual buildings:

2019_03_23_Recycling_03.JPG

In the afternoon Elder Son and Girlfriend of Elder Son (GFoES) came with me to the art supply wholesalers a few kilometres away, in search of (amongst other things) rattle can spray to repaint the Ugly Mountain Bike we're rebuilding into a tourer.

2019_03_23_Boesner_01.JPG

Cycle parking was pants. Fortunately the region is low in bike crime so locking the bikes together was easily a good enough deterrent.

On the was back, about to climb a steep hill into our village (whose daft idea was it to move to a village on a bluff? oh, yes: mine.) everyone drank as much water as possible to reduce weight.

2019_03_23_Boesner_02.JPG

Arrival back at the apartment. It took me a few minutes to realise where the rattling was coming back on the return trip: I thought something had come loose until I realised it was five distinct rattles on every bump...

2019_03_23_Boesner_04.JPG

TigerT

Veteran
Three rides this weekend :-)

Ride 1 : Was to the bike shop to have my Vector 3 Pedals fitted. I’ve been thinking about power meters for a long time. I have issues with my right leg which means it is a lot weaker than the left. My personal trainer has been helping a lot, and I felt it would be useful to be able to see the balance. So Pedals fitted and new shoes chosen (Always rode with SPDs before Vector 3s are Look Keo). It was time for a longer ride.

Ride 2 : After setting up my Wahoo properly to show the new power data. I decided to run over to Baden and back to try everything out. This is pretty much my standard weekend ride now. I’ve got a route that avoids any gravel and for a large part avoids main roads. It also has the benefit of a Coffee Shop that tolerates me bringing the bike in if I don’t have a lock with me. It was a good run, fast for me and beautiful spring weather. Only issue was a sore right foot from the new shoes.

Ride 3 : I woke up today with a still sore foot so I set about making some inserts for the right shoe to force my foot into a better position. The intention was to do a short ride to adjust them. I headed out to Greifensee where there is a nice coffee stop by the lake. The sun was out (not quite warm enough for shorts, but close) and I just didn’t want to go home yet. So I decided to head out to Rapperswil. It was a great ride, hills didn’t hurt, headwind wasn’t too bad, foot was okay and it was warming up.

At Rapperswil I had another coffee and a slice of Carrot cake. And contemplated the route home. I would have liked to go around the top of lake Zürich but I think that was too ambitious, so I settled for the bridge across the lake and a run down the opposite shore. Good choice. The wind was behind me and it’s probably one of the best runs back to the city that I’ve had.

So an expensive weekend for bike bits, but well worth it. The power meters are a revelation. It seems that what my guess at a 50:50 balance was way out. Plus I’m actually better balanced left to right when climbing! I think they are really going to raise my enjoyment of riding.

Here are some photos of today’s ride.

97DDBEA5-0023-4CC6-BF24-43496FDF87B9.jpeg
First Coffe stop at Greifensee
8F35A131-BBA9-457C-B627-5045867C6F32.jpeg
Happy to arrive at Rapperswil
BC7CED6B-8631-440C-84A7-A1650174E3CF.jpeg
Mainly because that meant Coffee and cake
802ACE88-B463-4647-9C0F-12228CF7DB3B.jpeg
The Zürisee looking beautiful in the spring sunshine.
55E82226-0DCC-477F-AC26-A3B34B5922C1.jpeg
And the map

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I put the tandem on the car today and we drove to a friends house in Risby, Suffolk. I was long overdue a change of scenery.
B3EF2EE8-2AA3-4F29-9ADA-1DD50C1C6769.jpeg

We then headed back over the A14, past all the shiny tractors at the Claas HQ.

On through rolling Suffolk countryside, all pretty cottages and blooming violets.
We then stumbled upon a farm that must have had 30 donkeys amongst other animals
F425A989-3C68-4B13-A25E-3CC3F8824015.jpeg

We reached the pretty village of Lawshall, and stopped by the church to check our route. The church yard was full of violets, primrose and daffs
2FF1E977-D404-4EC5-B0E5-66EAB5AF363C.jpeg

More rolling countryside, chilly wind, bright sun and a few navigation errors. We had to do a spell on the A134. Not ideal.
We were soon on quieter roads, and we could see a prominent church spire... Lavenham.
6CB20A5D-4267-4D89-8979-EFDE8919432D.jpeg

3FC84B42-7E6D-4312-B133-7510088E96A1.jpeg

CAECAE93-4306-4CC8-AA57-2F7E199BFF21.jpeg

72921FEB-3267-4189-90B0-62F59E0850C5.jpeg

9BF870B7-9E5F-4299-90CA-7A5ACB33844B.jpeg

Whilst we sat and ate a sandwich on a bench a flash Ferrari came by, very impressive and all but antisocially noisy!
1465AA7B-C6DD-416A-B144-C889240742DA.jpeg

Totally impractical.

We retraced our route for a while before heading into pastures new. We then headed to Hawstead and the Maglia Rossa cafe
010775D1-B3B0-46B2-A111-7A3FD7EEEDF4.jpeg

Back to Risby, the wind strengthening, the temp dropping slightly.

Just over 40 miles. Really enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2237340290

Last edited:
Top Bottom