Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Veteran
Going to Aberfeldy next week.
Plan is train Glasgow to Stirling, then cycle the rest
Two nights in Aberfeldy then ( maybe ) cycle back to Glasgow without using the train.
Not sure of the route , I leave that to my mate.
Bonus is no luggage. It goes in the car with our partners.
A good day from Aberfeldy would be along the back road and up the hill to Tummel Bridge. Return via Kinloch Rannoch (good cafe) and the Schiehallion road. For an extra hill, when leaving Tummel Bridge take the first on the right on the road to Trinafour and then descend to Kinloch Rannoch.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Caught last night’s ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe. I whimped out on London to Newhaven- just couldn’t face the usual aggressive British drivers, especially the Chelsea tractor lot in Surrey. So train to Brighton then short 15 or so miles along the coast.
8C096043-4EE1-4E6D-A682-9C04C38A20C8.jpeg

The ferry was great- bikes first on and first off. Then off into the Dieppe dawn twilight.
1576B858-ED74-4CBB-B57E-858F904FA238.jpeg

6266C82E-8BE7-438D-984C-041E2BB5D41B.jpeg

I thought hugging the coast would be fairly flat. Wrong- up and down quite deep valleys and huge cliffs.

Crossing the Somme river at St. Valery. On the marshes was an exquisite black winged stilt which made my day.
EADCB53D-FF60-49AE-B0C9-6397A6A220BF.jpeg

I’d picked a quiet route and often stunning.

7BC60D9B-167E-4078-81DA-A3BE5B9D738B.jpeg

8A80A4D9-A3E6-43D3-A8C5-1B811741AE4E.jpeg

Reached Hesdin, my destination for the day by 3 after 10 hours in the saddle. I’m shattered and not sure about tomorrow’s 72 miles into Belgium, but will give it a go. It is now beer o’clock !

Cavalol

Guru
My BIL had a caravan at East Runton Stayed there a few times in the mid late sixties.It is lovely area .From what i remember the roads in that area dispel the image of Norfolk being flat .

There's a few decent (for a fat asthmatic old bloke) hills out of Cromer and not far from East Runton. Quite fancy heading out of the Norwich road early tomorrow, just so I can come back full tilt round the chicanes by the high school.

the_craig

Über Member
So I’ve got an important exam coming up next Monday and I’ve been a bit harassed by it. Life in general has taken a back seat over the past month. But I managed to get out on my bike tonight, as yet again, my Tuesday 5’s fell apart. I may just call time on it over the summer. If I do, it would mean more time for my bike (yey!)

So tonight. I did the reverse of the loop I did last week where I got lost. The steep hill wasn’t too bad, good fun actually. I’ve been trying to pace myself up big lumps and though it feels slow, I am a bit quicker. Plus I don’t get to the top and want to lie down.

So Shotts to Addiewell, over to Auchengray then on to Carluke then back home. Even though it was a loop, I felt like I had a constant wind on my face.
But 53km at an average of 25.3km/h is very good for me. My average has sat around 21km/h for years so I must be doing something different. Do t know what though. Even did some practice questions after my shower and toast.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2480295656

Oh. And I met a pal too.

71282E11-5283-492E-98F3-5FA76F218BE8.jpeg

Cavalol

Guru
Bit cooler today, very nice all the same. Managed to ride a decent chunk of the beach between Beeston Regis and Cromer, though it was a but hit and miss. Don't know if bicycle drifting is a thing, but that beach would be the perfect practise area. Had intented to really put it in between Cromer and East Runton, but I was blowing out of my bum a bit, so went quite slowly in the end.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190626_093603.jpg
    Screenshot_20190626_093603.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1561538195625.jpg
    FB_IMG_1561538195625.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1561538201726.jpg
    FB_IMG_1561538201726.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 11
  • FB_IMG_1561538207501.jpg
    FB_IMG_1561538207501.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 10

Tizme

Veteran
Decided to have another crack at Crowcombe Combe. Went a different route to get there over some rough tracks (too rough for the Giant) so was on the Sonder Camino, I'm beginning to enjoy riding on 650B's, certainly makes the rough ground easier.
It was hard work, much harder than Monday and it started to drizzle with rain as I approached, but I managed it, like Monday, half way up I really thought I'd fall over as I was moving so slowly but managed to pick up and beat it, mind you HR went up to 171!
Route.jpg

On the way in to Crowcombe:
DSCI0366.JPG

Blue Ball at Triscombe
DSCI0362.JPG

Old jon

Guru
A bit grey outdoors this morning, but that’s OK. The barometer has risen a bit, which is a little more reliable than other forecasts and I want a ride anyway. Oh fiddlesticks!! No limes. A few months ago something reminded me of the salted lime juice that was available at the firm where I served my apprenticeship and I have been drinking that on rides. Not this morning though, and salted orange juice does not really do it.

Forget the catering, start pedalling. On the fixed today and aiming for Otley so start with the usual meander through that bit of Holbeck that leads to Water Lane, which the beck runs beside, and across the canal to the towpath at Office Lock. Leave the waterside at Viaduct Road, for the first time in a while I saw a train crossing that viaduct, cross the river and start the hard bit up to Headingley. And, of course, the road rises after that as well. But eventually stops and the pedalling becomes easier. The A 660 is a relatively quiet road, most of the time, today was similar so I carried on, through Bramhope, passing the ( very ) old puritan chapel on the way out of the village and reaching the traffic lights by what was once the Dyneley Arms. Where I could not resist turning right to go down Pool Bank for the first time in a long while on the fixed. Always a challenge, when you cannot stop pedalling you warm up quickly . . .

Turn left at the bottom, the A 659 felt fast this morning all the way to Otley. Stop for grub and a drink by the maypole and set off again with the prospect riding all the way up the Leeds Road. Its only a couple of miles or so, but that last left bend at the top is good to pass. Back through Bramhope, easy riding now until I turned left to go up Kings Road. Which has little to recommend it, else the false horizon roughly where the quarry was. There is a ‘T’ junction at the end, turn right:-

Church Lane, in Adel, leads back to the A 660 so turn left there for the ride to and through Headingley on the way to Kirkstall and the canal towpath again. This is much more fun than riding the admittedly good bike track at the side of the main road to town. Joggers and dog walkers everywhere, the occasional cyclist also. No noise, though there was one narrowboat moving. Rather busy in parts, but this is about lunchtime for a lot of folk and the canal these days is a pleasant place to take a wander, with some odd sights to see as well. Back to Office Lock, cross the hump backed bridge and escape along Great Wilson Street to begin the final couple of miles back to home. Where the garthing stopped at 29.95 miles. Had to grin, if I had noticed the mileage before, I would have ridden around the block. Honest!

And the map . . .

26062019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H and me today. The forecast was for sun but that never happened. Indeed it was quite cold to start. We took our usual run down the Hams to swing east for the Cotswolds. No steam trains at Winchcombe today and none on our way to the Abbey at Hailes.
The cafe was quiet and lunch pleasant. We headed north as usual but took to the loop at Laverton for a change. Only the second time for me and a first for Jules. Under the railway (still no trains) the floods were no more. No red kites at Grafton either. The NE wind was occasionally hindering us but we did get some assistance too. The Avon was flowing strongly today as we crossed at Eckington. All that recent rain goes eventually to the sea. Good ride out today. Nice and steady. 75 smiles

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Week nine of being off the bike after a couple of operations and i thought sod it ! I feel well and i have time to kill because work will not let me come back until i get signed off from the hospital so why not have a little ride. Fixie has a nice Carradice bagman support for my equally lovely Nelson Longflap so i packed it up and set off for a nice circuit down the East Lancs towards Culcheth,Glazbury,Barton aerodrome ( where there were two SAS choppers parked out of the way :ph34r:) From Barton,its a short but horrible ride on the A-57 to the new bridge over the Manchester Ship canal past the Trafford Centre and on to the Bridgewater Way to Monton. I picked up the NCN55 back to Astley and ended up doing just over 30 miles ! Don't tell the boss Wife or the Doctors at Salford Royal !!! Loved every minute of it. Enjoy the photo's including one of two donkeys eyeing up my fixie,an old steam truck at Rixton,a steam engine on the A-57 Caddishead bypass which has a nice shared path along it and of course some flying things including a classic ex Army Gazelle in civilian use and the two covert choppers in the distance
DSCN3415.JPG
DSCN3427.JPG
DSCN3429.JPG
DSCN3435.JPG
DSCN3452.JPG

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Not today but last Sunday; I took part in the Diss Nine town sportive. My third imperial century and first solo attempt, the previous two had been group rides. It was a nice warm day and a nice scenic route, completed in 5hrs 58mins. The last 20 miles or so were in to a headwind which was a real drag, my legs were screaming for the last hour or so :laugh: This dropped my average speed a little but I was still rather chuffed with 16.9mph :okay: 100.9 miles in total, 2280 feet of climbing and a rather large roast dinner in the evening :okay:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Northern France is flat they said- you'll be fine they said. Well, it's not, but I am fine. Despite also planning a route heading north east to make the most of prevailing south westerlies, the brutal north easterly all day today was still not enough to put me off the 77 miles from Hesdin France, to Staden, Belgium.

Found myself riding through Agincourt early doors.
IMG_3818.JPG

And past a nice gaff nearby

IMG_3809.JPG

Whereas yesterday had been constant switchback up and down, at least after the first brutal hill today, I stayed high for miles before descending into Flanders.

IMG_3792.JPG

They make no fuss about borders these days. I remember the time when an old gent in a smart uniform would lift his hat and raise the red and white barrier to let you into Belgium. No more.

IMG_3802.JPG

This road and homes on the left are in Belgium. The homes on the right, in France. The white car is in both countries. Imagine entering another country every time you left the house- I'd bloody love that.

IMG_3796.JPG

I'd planned a route to include this old railway line that goes on for miles, but after 62 miles was just too knackered to enjoy it.

IMG_3801.JPG

Reached my B&B, a Phillipine themed joint in terrific eccentric Belgian style.

IMG_3821.JPG

Room with hot tub. Wasn't expecting that! Very welcome.

IMG_3820.JPG

Finally a beer and traditional Belgian grub in nearby Staden in the sun- lovely. Netherlands tomorrow.

IMG_3803.JPG

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
17 miles for me. Gorgeous wall to wall sunshine, not even a cloud in the sky. There was a lovely breeze as well. Bliss.

Attachments

• 20190627_122330.jpg
    20190627_122330.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190627_121642.jpg
    20190627_121642.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190627_130047.jpg
    20190627_130047.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190627_125213.jpg
    20190627_125213.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190627_121654.jpg
    20190627_121654.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190627_123707.jpg
    20190627_123707.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190627_123700.jpg
    20190627_123700.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10

gavgav

Guru
A day off work, in advance of heading off on my Cricket Club Tour, to Cornwall, tomorrow. Busy sorting stuff out this morning and doing jobs, but got out for a short ride, this afternoon.

Nice pleasantly warm and sunny day, certainly not a heatwave here though, and quite a strong breeze, which made it tough going at times.

Headed through Meole, underpass still closed from post flooding mud, Nobold, Radbrook, Copthorne and Gains Park, up to Shelton.

It’s 5 years, tomorrow, that my Mum passed away and so I continued up to the Severn Hospice, where she spent her last hours, for a momentary pause.

Continued down the cycle paths and came across the only numpty of the ride, who had parked his Daihatsu dodgem completely in the cycle path, by the small housing development that is being built. Not only that, but as I approached, he proceeded to open the passenger door of his car, from the outside I hasten to add, directly into the only way I could get passed, in the footpath. I glared at him and he said “oops sorry” :headshake:

I headed down through The Quarry, where the tents were being finished off, ready for the Food Festival, that’s happening this weekend. Busy in The quarry, with people enjoying the sunshine.

I was then able to follow the Towpath, as the River Severn, despite still looking Brown and Swollen, is finally back in its banks.

I paused at the weir, to enjoy watching the white water crashing down off it.
4763173B-58D0-4CD1-8842-33E959223FD5.jpeg

Pressed on to Castlefields, down the cycle paths to Meole again and back home.

14.1 miles, meaning the total for June is a Rain and Lurgy ruined 77 miles. I had been aiming for 200.

TeeShot

Veteran
57445B98-AE7B-4E31-A091-ED261AED689D.jpeg
E3E31B40-3C5F-4EBB-873A-9E59B8E687C4.jpeg
078D9E44-CC2A-4925-8DFA-910A405C2A53.jpeg
47B89C5C-5365-4E16-874E-58F091D8AB47.jpeg
I was lucky to be able to get out today and enjoy the glorious weather. I met up with two fellow escapees by the canal in Sale. We were heading for the station cafe in Irlam. Passed United’s training ground at Carrington, before going over the ship canal into Irlam. The station cafe is well worth a visit, filled with memorabilia and information on days gone by. Continuing over the Warburton bridge we rode through the lanes to Arley Hall, which looked fabulous in the warm sunshine. More food and back through Tatton park to home. 49 miles and not a cloud in the sky

Top Bottom