Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Really wet in Glasgow today.
    Started with a quick shopping run along the canal to Bishopbriggs on my hybrid .
    Change of bike then decided to stick with the canal and headed to Bowling for the second day in a row. IMG_20190811_134849416.jpg quiet day for the Clydebank bike counter.

33 wet miles in total.

2. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Today's ride had to wait until mid afternoon due to gardening needing to be done. As it's my sister's birthday next weekend, I had to pop out to get something for her as I won't have time during the week so I took the rather indirect route out to Martlesham and another indirect route back via Rushmere. Still a bit breezy, but warm so I took my time and had a good couple of hours out.

The only unusual bit was on the quiet road that runs behind Waldringfield golf club. I'd pulled up against the verge to let an oncomming car pass and saw this...
    Spot the ball.JPG Goodness knows how long it's been there as the hedge appears to have grown quite a bit round it. It's the sort on oddity you'd only notice on a bike.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2019
  3. Reynard

Reynard Guru

Oh yes... You do notice so much more when you're on a bike.

Like the time I spotted a load of maris piper tatties that had fallen off a trailer and into the long grass and nettles by the side of the road. If I'd have been driving past, I'd never have seen them. As I was on the bike, and it was less than a quarter mile away from home...

I picked up enough potatoes to take me through from October to April. :girldance:

4. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Guest

35 miles today with Gina. She did really well. Got slowed a bit after meeting everybody and their mother on the trail today ha ha! I swear we got stopped 3 times in the first 15 miles. But it was nice seeing old friends again. Couple of hike and bike detours slowed us as well but Gina was rolling pretty good. Too bad we had the obstacles or it would have been a nice strong average.

But she finished strong on the comeback trail so that's a good thing. Some dude we talked to at the break area said he wished his wife would ride. Then he asked if he could ride back with us, sure! He tagged on the back for a few miles doing about 18 then he shot out tot he front and picked it up to 21 MPH. I was worried about Gina not having the mileage she used to have but she hung tough. I think the guy got tired but he pulled off so that gave me the op to hold a steady pace so she could recover. Ended up doing really well and she held on to impress the guys. Picked up a couple more along the way.

Ran into an old buddy from a local cycling forum. Haven't seen him in 8 years. Wen by CheckSix on the forums years ago.

20190811_111716-2.JPG 20190811_113027.JPG

5. Stonechat

Stonechat Guru

Testerday Club run, and there where three of us.
    As Ihad the Garmin with route sent by our absent leader, I ended up leading most of the time and it was a little windy

Ride was to Lockey Farm in Arborfield

Outward and return routes were fairly similar.
    Outward via Windsor Great Park, Winkfield, Warfield, Binfield, skirting around Wokingham and down through Sindlesham

Return via some tiny lanes initially and Barkham, then much similar, going slightly moresouth at Winkfield Row

50.33 miles :@ 15.3 mph, 1877 feet vlimbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/2609770839

6. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Yesterday's ride was a club ride from Bolsover out to Clumber and back in a loop. It was the Sunday Social so a nice, steady pace that suited all giving us time to chat and enjoy ourselves. A few hills thrown in with only one that was a bit of a challenge (it was fun whizzing down it on the way out), so a mostly flat route (or what counts as flat around here!).

Myself and the ride leader had a bacon sandwich at the café stop. The rest had coffee and cake. :hungry:

A fantastic ride in great company. What more could you ask for? ^_^

27 Smiles

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
  7. Reynard

Reynard Guru

Just a short ride in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres today as my legs still aren't playing ball after being stood pretzeled on a train on Friday night. But a gentle bimble was what I needed to work out some of the soreness.

Only an 8 mile round trip to an undisclosed location, but I now do have a pannier stuffed to the gunwales with filberts. :biggrin:

Another good instance of spotting things on a bike that you'd miss when in a car.

Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 15 others like this.
  8. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Not So Special One

61BB68D2-C9BB-40E6-9142-60A00A3265A2.jpeg 239F7085-8598-4FE1-BFF5-848230B8B348.jpeg 85FDE89C-DD3E-4EE3-A300-9272F54D4F43.jpeg CF8FC59C-D0C3-4BDA-B949-C7410710AEC9.jpeg 4260D641-4FC9-410C-8A30-88BD799FCF95.jpeg

A cooler morning commute so on with the arm warmers, 6.7 miles with an average of 15.9 mph.
    Hopped onto the Specialized Crux just after 5pm for an extended home commute, 35.1 miles with an average of 15.7 mph, lovely afternoon/early evening.

9. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Facetious Waffler

After a couple of days off the bike because of a wedding (and a subsequent hangover) went for a bimble today. Luckily I was in a coffee shop when the massive downpour landed but after it passed I decided to take myself to the Belladrome to grind out some steady miles to make a dent in my challenge deficit (I'm 96km behind schedule as I type this).

Within a couple of minutes of me arriving at the track, some youngins started to show up. Turns out that there's a Monday night coaching session and I couldn't have felt more out of place, an obese man approaching his fifth decade. It wasn't helped by their dreadful lane discipline - got overtaken up the inside by the youngins several times and they were all over the track - nor was it helped by the return of the hyper fit folk on TT bikes that I mentioned in a previous installment. As a result, I never came close to hitting a rhythm at all and gave up after a few laps and went to find some entertainment elsewhere. Took a turn up the punchy Queen's Park climb (https://www.strava.com/segments/2029835) where a woman walking her dog gave me a few kind words of encouragement to which I could only gasp "it's steeper than it looks!".

Honestly not feeling it at all, lots of niggling pains from old injuries, think a cold is coming on, and my rear hub started making terminal-sounding grindies - presumably from the downpour.

All in, 23 miles at 13.3mph, with 766 feet of climbing. Where did you go, mojo?? :rain:

Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 17 others like this.
  10. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

I joined a couple of guys I only knew through a football forum for the start of a charity ride they're doing.
    Their mantra was " training is cheating " and neither has been on a bike in years.
    I cycled with them from Lambhill Stables, who generously loaned them bikes; to Auchinstarry , along the Forth and Clyde canal.
    Headed home, then back out for a couple of local chores.

32 miles in total.
    The guys managed 72 miles before stopping in East Lothian.
    They're heading for Newcastle.

Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 18 others like this.
  11. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Facetious Waffler

72 miles without training??? Never mind legs or cardio, their rear ends will be in absolute tatters.

Edit to add: Good luck to them, and I absolutely mean it. I hope they've not compromised their epic endeavour by not taking saddle sores into account.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
  12. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

View: https://youtu.be/K6VZecw-ELU

Mendip MAAAdness AAA Audax is a 117km randonnėe with over 1700 meters elevation. Although relatively short in distance, it is not short of ascents. Among many, it takes in Dundry Beacon, Blagdon Climb and a 7km climb out of the Somerset Levels from Wells back onto the Mendips. Treats include a descent through Cheddar Gorge and a short rest on the Levels.

So what’s with all the AAAs? Well: They stand for Audax Altitude Award

Audax UK awards points for all this climbing through a complex calculation based on a ratio of distance : elevation. Even the altitude goblins of Audax UK find it hard to explain so I’ll leave you to pick it apart: http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/

https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/do-it-yourself-diy-events/

This is my first attempt at providing narration or commentary with a video. Good skills for an introvert! These are early days and I’m on a steep learning curve so please provide constructive criticism and if you are pleased with the video, do ‘LIKE’ and ‘SUBSCRIBE’. Thanks for watching.

Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 14 others like this.
  13. gavgav

gavgav Guru

No cycling for a while as I’ve broken my finger in 2 places, playing cricket :cry:Will be reading this thread to keep my brain full of cycling loveliness!!

Katherine, Donger and CarlP like this.
  14. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo 'Real Life, and Postcard Views, Europe Endless'

No phone pump repair kit or water bottle with me on yesterdays ride...so no pics! Out for a blat on new bike...cobbly canal paths and rougher stuff which i was struggling with on road bike.. What a laugh, and will the road bike see the light of day again?
    20190811_145005.jpg

Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 15 others like this.
  15. Not the best of images, but riding along the towpath of the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, at about 22:30 last night
    Photographs taken with an iphone 4s

My usual route is subject to a full road-closure for water-main works & the consequent reconstruction of a banking that the road runs on
    68365738_10218075550992587_9115030713719062528_n.jpg 67837528_10218030814594205_5420146442905845760_n.jpg

Front lights, taken maybe 200yards ahead of this Geograph pic
    (vegetation has grown back to some extent now, & it's not a 'cinder-track' anymore)
    https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2142770

Main light, in use here (on low-beam), a 'MagicShine MJ858

Lighting. 15.jpg

Lighting. 1. MagicShine. MJ858.JPG

Further along, this was the rearward view
    Here the 'tow-path' is a road, as it services some semi-permanent moorings & the Lock-Keepers house
    One of the rear-lights was on a 'pulse' setting, but it wasn't doing so, meaning it was not at optimum charge
    (both main rears put on charge, when I got home)
    Lighting. 16.jpg

I was heading in the same direction as the GeoGraph photo is taken (map & comments below)
    https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/509906

(on the way home, when checking for traffic, road-signs were reflecting 'full/bright' red at over 100yards)

This is where I left Ferry Lane, crossing that bridge (L > R), then joining the tow-path in the same direction as the chap is walking
    https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5701955

LOTS of Bats about^_^

I was going to ride back through NewLands Woods, but decided against it
    It's not that I can't get through/don't know the way, but if there's a low-hanging branch, that's in shadow.....
    If I fall off, due to the branch, there's a sloping banking, then a 15 foot drop into the River Calder!
    (I have run through there, at night, with a head-torch though)

I may ride in that way, at dinner-time, for a change?
    (both taken on a homeward ride)
    Road-Trip. 34.jpg Road-Trip. 65.jpg

NB;
    I have this to send for repair, still:blush:
    (R8)
    Lighting. 12.jpg

Last edited: 13 Aug 2019
    Katherine, colly, Mike_P and 16 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice