Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
20 very pleasant miles in intermittent sunshine en tandem with Mrs Tuesday this afternoon, après le deluge this morning.

Turns out the stoker gets more splashback from standing water, or so Mrs Tuesday assures me, and I'm certainly not arguing...

And a pic from Mrs T:
FB_IMG_1578856463661.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Change of plans this morning as the forecast drop in wind strength didn't happen, so instead of heading up to Grundisburgh & Otley which would have resulted in a large dose of headwind for the return leg, I changed to a fairly compact route keeping headwinds to a minimum.

Starting out with a regular ride out to ipswich via Levington and Nacton, this was as bright as it got for the day
Levington.JPG

From there on the clouds rolled in and it stayed grey & miserable with occasional spots of rain until I got home. Once in Ipswich I headed back out on an indirect route to Newbourne & Waldringfield before returning back to Ipswich via Westerfield on the Bealings road just to the north of the way out. Despite the wind it was ridiculously mild, to the extent that the first of the snowdrops were out in the Bucklesham area (trust me they are there, they just don't show well on the picture)
Monument Farm Lane.JPG
https://www.strava.com/activities/3005419997
Screenshot_2020-01-12 Flat Bar Fifty Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-01-12 Flat Bar Fifty Ride Strava(1).png

AndreaJ

Veteran
It’s a bit windy here today but I thought I would just have time for a short ride before it got worse this afternoon. Picked a route where I could avoid main roads in case I got blown about and could turn for home if it was too bad, I set off to Whixall, turned over the canal to Fenns Bank, onto Alkington where the wind started to get stronger and progress was slow even down the hill and I was getting blown across the road so decided to turn to Hollinswood, Lower Houses, Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen where it started to rain as well, Foxholes, Horton and finally got a wind assisted sprint home. 22.9 miles @15mph. Didn’t see any other cyclists or runners and only 1 dog walker. I almost didn’t go at all as the forecast was for 20mph wind which is my limit but glad I did even though it confirms that I don’t like wind.

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride, but no time to write last night.

Forecast was wet early, but drying up later. Luckily when I got up there were clear skies and a bright moon, but it looked a bit blowy. Still better than wet.

Out at around half past six, and as I hit the A38 I could feel that the wind was going to make this part of the ride hard work. This bit of the road is quite exposed to the southerly winds,and I was struggling to keep above 12 mph. Luckily the turn at Baynhall was not too far, and now I was in a more sheltered lane going up towards Kerswell Green. The big bright moon was nice from here, and I tried to take some photos, but my mobile camera doesn't quite do it justice.
IMG_20200112_065930704~2.jpg

The lights are Great Malvern, and you can just about make out the outline of the Malvern Hills behind.

Onward to Kinnersley, and then on towards Earls Croome. Just out of Kinnersley I realised my rear light had stopped, so got the spare out from the saddle bag, and this one was not working either! I was sure I had charged it. I was about to turn back for home when I remembered that I have a rear light in my helmet, which I never use, but hey, it came handy.

So, with emergency lighting sorted, continued to Earls Croome, again against the wind, and then a left for Baughton and Defford, with the wind now behind me, so I made up for the time lost up till now. Daylight was also starting to break, so I was less worried about my lighting situation.

With the help of the tail wind the turn for Eckington arrived quickly, but now it was time to ride onto the head wind again.

Stopped at the picnic area by the bridge as usual. The Avon was fuller than the last time I was here in early December, but still within its banks, and the reflection of the first light on the water was beautiful.
IMG_20200112_074406361_HDR~2.jpg

I particularly like the effect of the fast current on the reflection of the trees.

Once rested it was time do ride into the wind again, through Eckington and up to the turn for the Combertons. With a tail wind now, the hill was was easier than usual, and at the top, a great view towards the Malverns, big moon included.

IMG_20200112_080522998~2.jpg

And my bike against the gate
IMG_20200112_080549153_HDR~2.jpg

Photos taken was time to get a move on, as the wind was a tad chilly. From here it is a quick descent into Great Comberton, and then continued to Little Comberton, and on to the Evesham Rd. I hadn't been down this lane before, and I needed some extra loops to make sure I would hit the 50km, so it was a good way to pad the distance and learn a new lane.

Pershore came quickly, and then a right for Pinvin and the ford to Drakes Broughton, which is quite full and closed to traffic, but the walkway is open.
IMG_20200112_083731187~2.jpg

After Drakes Broughton went around Besford Bridge to Wadborough, to add a couple more miles, and then the standard route home via Littleworth and past Norton church.

Got home dry, as the rain held, though there were some short drizzle spells. The wind was hard work in places, but it really helped in others, so can't complain about it, and my legs felt much better than last Sunday.

I checked the spare light and I had charged it, and it was fully charged, but for some reason it won't switch on, so I will have to get a new one.

In all a lovely ride.

The map

IMG_20200113_182750.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I realised my rear light had stopped, so got the spare out from the saddle bag, and this one was not working either! I was sure I had charged it. I was about to turn back for home when I remembered that I have a rear light in my helmet, which I never use, but hey, it came handy.
A while back I discovered a Blackburn Click light fitted the back of my helmet making a useful reserve or additional light

C R

Guru
A while back I discovered a Blackburn Click light fitted the back of my helmet making a useful reserve or additional light

View attachment 500435
The one I mentioned is part of the helmet, but I think when riding it points mostly upwards because of where it is in the helmet and my riding position, so I rode much more upright than I normally would until there was a reasonable amount of daylight. That's the main reason I don't use it, but I was glad it was there yesterday. The new spare light came today, straight into the saddle bag once charged.

I managed a 21 mile mundane ride yesterday ( I only say mundane as it is a usual route) ahead of the high winds forecast. Actually conditions were not bad, just feeling a bit damp and cool at 8 degrees. A problem I have been getting is a cold and numb left foot which seem to make the left thigh ache so dampens the enthusiasm a bit. I am not sure what it is as I have loosened my shoes and I wear overshoes to stop the cold air. Anyway, back to the ride. The second half of the ride was into the wind which had picked up a bit but nothing too bad, in fact my ride on Sunday was worse with gusts knocking me about. But then what did I expect in exposed places on the Bacton/ Old Newton road. The ride was 21.5 at 17.1mph average with 643 feet of climbing. My gears were OK today as on Sunday they kept shifting down a gear, after having a look it was because I had`nt tightened the skewer enough so that the cage was not over far enough. Oh how I look forward to wearing less on the bike.

Attachments

• Ride 14-01-20.jpg
    Ride 14-01-20.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1

Old jon

Guru
Grey morning, but the barometer was making fair weather movements, and it is a long time since the last ride. Off goes I.

But by ‘eck, it was cold. Before reaching Holbeck any uncovered bits were at risk of icicles, it felt. Ah well, towpath for a peaceful pedal, see how it goes. It did not go any warmer. Lets do a repeat of the short ride I did on Christmas Day. And discover a conundrum. Same bike, same gps and same route. I have just checked the maps. Previous ride 9.6 miles, today’s excursion 12.3 miles. OK, less miles for Christmas. Hmmm. It will vex me for a while, and maybe an explanation will present itself.

That has just reached the end of the ride before the middle. Wonder if . . . Ah, yes, the beginning! It was about fifteen minutes earlier than my usual start time, and the roads were very much more busy, so reaching Office Lock was good. Though it seems a lot of people commute on the towpath too, and I cannot say I blame them. By Kirkstall, the bit of it where the shops are, things became quieter. Take the turn off for the station quite a distance the far side of the Abbey, dodge the odd dog walker and cross the railway lines. There is only one way to ride, to the A65.

It is still too cold, turn right and pedal briskly. Towards the town centre along the cycle track provided. On fixed this is crap. Tight corners on and off the cycle path are not comfortable at all. I will try it with gears sometime. Still, riding is mostly fun. Motor traffic well past the rush hour is still slower than this man on his bike. And I soon reach a junction that allows me to return to the canal. Back into Holbeck, shortcut through Hunslet and the grin returns as I ride along the street where my house is.

A possibly inaccurate map,

15012020.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We have floods again so I took the Tunnel Hill dodge to meet Jules H and Margaret PR. For a change we took the clockwise route stopping at the church at Pirton which dates from the 12th century. At Pinvin the ford was nearly 5 feet deep but not deep enough to cover the footbridge. After crossing the airfield Margaret headed homeward. Jules and I rounded by Bishampton for the cafe at Craycombe Farm.
Water was on the road as we headed to cross the Avon. No trouble for us tho'. We decided to go by Charlton and then decided to explore the village. All new to me and Jules. We aimed for the knee knocker cider brewery and crossed the main road for Haselor and Elmley Castle. We were unsure if Eckington Bridge would be open but we headed that way anyway. No trouble there as the Avon was still between its banks. On the approach to Ryall we caught a sharp shower but we know of a bus shelter there. A rainbow heralded the cessation of the shower so only a few more miles remained of a lovely outing. 60 smiles

footloose crow

Über Member
14 Jan Good to be out again

The Royal Cornwall Hospital was reported in the Guardian as one of the most overcrowded and under pressure hospitals in England last week. I know. I was there for four days with a blocked bile duct and infection waiting for an operating theatre to become free. I was bright yellow. Useful for a cyclist perhaps but it made me feel unwell, fed up with people asking me if I felt jaundiced.

Today it is the fifth day since I was discharged. Madame Crow is watching me pace up and down. The sun is out and the roads dry but I feel like I have been run over by a bus. She pushes me out of the house and I withdraw my bike from its resting place. This will be a short ride.

It feels good to be on the bike again. My legs are heavy and breath short but I can feel the sun on my face. The deep breathing is taking away the smell of hospital, extinguishing memories of cannulas and over worked nurses, pain and boredom, being moved twice at night as my bed was needed for people who are worse. I want to forget, to lay down some better memories, to cleanse myself of the stink of illness.

Truck Hill reminds me of what I have lost after ten days of lying in bed. Bitter feelings bubble up, dreams are smashed. Pushing the gear lever across convinced there is a lower gear. The fitness I had is like the summit of this hill - a long way off and a lot of work to get there again, heart pounding, bike wobbling, legs weak.

But it is good to feel the wind on my face, to stand up and mash the pedals again, to feel life returning like the first daffodils and snowdrops in the hedgerows. By the time I get home I am completely finished, legs hurting, nose running, throat raw - but happy. Hospital memories have been left behind, blown away in my slipstream and the open road beckons. It will take a few weeks but I will be back on the bike again, chasing down the hills, putting on the miles, revelling in the freedom of the lanes. My glass is half full, not half empty for the first time in a fortnight.

Madame Crow knew best. She always does. I fall asleep on the sofa.

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 18.28.51.png

13 rider

Guru
14 Jan Good to be out again

The Royal Cornwall Hospital was reported in the Guardian as one of the most overcrowded and under pressure hospitals in England last week. I know. I was there for four days with a blocked bile duct and infection waiting for an operating theatre to become free. I was bright yellow. Useful for a cyclist perhaps but it made me feel unwell, fed up with people asking me if I felt jaundiced.

Today it is the fifth day since I was discharged. Madame Crow is watching me pace up and down. The sun is out and the roads dry but I feel like I have been run over by a bus. She pushes me out of the house and I withdraw my bike from its resting place. This will be a short ride.

It feels good to be on the bike again. My legs are heavy and breath short but I can feel the sun on my face. The deep breathing is taking away the smell of hospital, extinguishing memories of cannulas and over worked nurses, pain and boredom, being moved twice at night as my bed was needed for people who are worse. I want to forget, to lay down some better memories, to cleanse myself of the stink of illness.

Truck Hill reminds me of what I have lost after ten days of lying in bed. Bitter feelings bubble up, dreams are smashed. Pushing the gear lever across convinced there is a lower gear. The fitness I had is like the summit of this hill - a long way off and a lot of work to get there again, heart pounding, bike wobbling, legs weak.

But it is good to feel the wind on my face, to stand up and mash the pedals again, to feel life returning like the first daffodils and snowdrops in the hedgerows. By the time I get home I am completely finished, legs hurting, nose running, throat raw - but happy. Hospital memories have been left behind, blown away in my slipstream and the open road beckons. It will take a few weeks but I will be back on the bike again, chasing down the hills, putting on the miles, revelling in the freedom of the lanes. My glass is half full, not half empty for the first time in a fortnight.

Madame Crow knew best. She always does. I fall asleep on the sofa.

View attachment 500611
Good luck on your recovery . It wont take that long just take it steady

Top Bottom