Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
My original plan was to get up early and do a long ride, but with reports of dangerously icy roads, on the radio, I decided against that and instead set out after lunch, over to dads.

It was sunny but very cold as I headed through Meole and out onto the main road to Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft. The legs were feeling very lethargic today, maybe still not fully over the lurgy that I came down with, earlier in the month.

Continued on to Exfords Green and then took the lane up to Stapleton Common and past Stapleton Grange, which has had a new set of very plush gates built at the end of the long drive. How the other half live!!

I arrived at dads and had a chat to him, then my brother and his Girlfriend arrived, so stayed a bit longer than originally intended.

It felt even colder when I set back out, through Ryton, Condover, Betton Abbots and back home. Had the misfortune of coming across the gritter, on the final bit before home, so had to ensure I turned my face away and kept the mouth closed, to avoid ingesting the salt 🤢

15.9 miles at 11.4mph avg

Old jon

Guru
A bright sunshiney morning made it easy to fool myself that things would be warmer faster. Wheel out the fixed and ride away. I do miss the geared bike, but it is all cycling.

It would be very good to find something nice to say about the ride through Holbeck. There is the old library building, bright terra cotta and its very own tower. I see this every ride, and wish it was being put to some use. Maybe soon. Off Water Lane to Office Lock again, this time with the intention of riding further. Viaduct Road, downhill to cross the river and then the road rises. And continues to do so all the way past the Ring Road. Some excitement approaching this, an eruption of police vehicles, flashing lights and sirens, speeding off in the direction I had just come from. Yet to hear what had happened.

Straight along the A660 for me this morning, there was a bit of a breeze in my face which I was sure would be a push on the way back. Through Bramhope, where I was passed for the third or fourth time this morning. There are some quick riders about. One last rise to leave the village, bit of a left hand bend then a long straight to the Dyneley Arms traffic lights. Before reaching the crossroads I had decided to ride down Leeds Road into Otley. Just for a change.

More change, cross the river, here it is the Wharfe, and have a snack in the park on Farnley Lane. And had no temptation at all to ride up that road to Farnley, simply ride back through the town and up the road I had just ridden down. Rather cold still, but the climb warmed me up. Back through Bramhope and a left turn onto Kings Road happened almost automatically. Turn right at the crest to ride along the eastern side of Golden Acre Park, and into Adel along Church Lane.

Back on the A660 again, to Headingley and down the hill to cross the Aire again, this time at Kirkstall. Towpath again until the canal ends in Leeds, and a not so brisk ride through a corner of Hunslet on the way back to the street where I live. Maybe the smile is because I will soon thaw out my feet, but more likely I enjoyed the thirty miles of the ride.

The way I pedalled . . .

18012020.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was a bright sunny start to the day today but rather :cold: and after rain yesterday that meant I didn't venture out early, which turned out to be just as well as I unexpectedly got a call from my brother wanting a lift.

I eventually ventured out after lunch and headed off to do a variation of my Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage route. There was a fire engine dealing with some incident at one of the houses as I went through the village. Lyth Hill was busy with people walking. Lots of puddles down the lanes on the way to Cross Houses but no ice by this time.

At Cross Houses the road to Atcham is closed again while they work on upgrading the traffic island in the village. I could walk past it of course so had the lane to myself for a little way. I went for the usual detour through Attingham Park which had a quite full car park - they do seem to be having a good start to the year there.

Rejoining the road I overtook a couple of cyclists on the way to Upton Magna and was following the tracks of another on the way to Withington but never actually saw them before I turned off for another little detour just for variety. Bluebell Lane was a little bit slow going today (I can never go very quick along it in this direction) but after doggedly plodding up the various hills I seemed to be through Eaton Constantine before I knew it.

At Cressage I had a short pause for a drink before tackling the next climb which conveniently allowed a Waitrose delivery van past - I wouldn't have been keen on them coming up behind me on the narrow bit.

At Cound Moor I took a right rather than the left I usually would, partly for a change of scene but mostly because I didn't know whether the deep flood I was caught out by recently would be back after the last few wet days. This took me to Cound then I aimed towards Berrington (where there is the odd sight of an Extinction Rebellion umbrella stuck into a hedge :scratch:) and decided to finish off via Weeping Cross and Meole Brace.

A bit colder than I'd judged - I could have done with a third fleece on really. Nice to see a few cyclists out enjoying the winter countryside. The drivers I met today seemed to be friendly and polite too. Happy with that.:okay:

33.2 miles at 12.8 mph average.

I wasn't really in a photo-taking frame of mind today so just got the one snapshot: The Wrekin from Uppington with traditionally laid hedges bordering the road.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
At half one it was bright and sunny, albeit rather breezy and only 4C. I headed west into the wind, through Selkirk, up Ettrickdale for a bit then up today's climb, the Woll, which warmed me up for a bit. After the summit cattle grid I accelerated downhill for all of about 100m before coming across this and rapidly stopping while I still could -

From there it was intermittent ice and frost for the next 10 miles. Next photostop at the top of the climb out of Ashkirk, looking south east towards the Cheviot.

Looks like the cable tie holding the mudguard on at the brake bridge has broken again!

More intermittent ice, although on the only road I was on that wasn't slippy I was passed by the gritter.
Coming into Melrose from the east there were various 'temporary road surface' and 'ramp' signs. The road planer has left a deeply grooved and very rough surface. Even in that state it is far better than it was before!
Back home at 4:30, it was still light enough to feed the chooks. Lighter nights on the way. :hyper:
Today's map -

1579368885065.png

35.4 miles @ 12.9mph, 780m up.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It was nice out today, so I got the Whyte out. A utility ride again to get milk and passport photos, and to drop into the local bike shop to peruse and consider the possibility of an N+1, they had some nice bikes in there including a Pashley gravel bike. Did a loop back in the sunshine just a gnats gnadger over 7 miles.

13 rider

Guru
Had plans for a 100km ride today .Woke to the forecast frost which took a long while to clear enough to venture out . Had already decided to can off the 100km due to timing so a standard 50km loop it was to be . Out the door at 10.45 within 2 minutes of leaving home I encountered an icy patch were the water running of the fields had frozen and the cars had turned into a mush . Made it through but alarm bells were ringing in my head as I knew the route I had planned would have lots of these water run offs . Next issue would be the descent into Newtown Linford which has a puddle at the bottom .Saw patch of ice at the top of the hill so ended up walking down the hill !! This is silly now . Quick replan to get me home with a few miles in . Sticking to the busy roads took it steady round in a loop to Rothley and back home safe and sound . 13.3 miles to my total just glad to have got round .Shame to cut it short as despite being chilly the sunshine was lovely but as it was low in the sky made the roads glisten and I was always thinking is that ice or just a damp road . Stay safe everyone

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mmmminus tttttttwo ddddegrees when we set off on the club ride this mmmmorning. Brrrrrr!
It warmed up to a balmy four degrees by the time we got back. Today was always going to be "No Risk Sunday", and we did a straight there-and-back ride to the Berkeley Tea Rooms, mostly on the A38 and staying well away from the icy lanes. Still came across plenty of frozen puddles in potholes, and rode carefully and steadily all the way, finishing on just 30.2 miles.

The closest I came to a crash was as I was riding over to the start on the Kingsway estate. I only just avoided riding straight into a parked Ford Transit van that I just didn't see because of the low sun right in my eyes!

Take care out there, everybody. Cheers, Donger.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the winter bike at 9.30am, what a beautiful day but 1 degrees! It was really nippy with some icy roads. We had a lovely coffee stop at Naburn marina warming up in front of the fire. 27 miles with an average of 13.7 mph. Lovely ride out.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Took the Kona out for a 25km loop through the forest yesterday. Headed West first for about 12 km before crossing the river at the Hydro Electric plant. Then headed back on familiar tracks before cutting deeper into the forest and over some lovely single track trails I'd discovered whilst exploring with my son the other week.

Then today I went out with my son for a couple of hours, 12 Km exploring new and familiar trails and having a great time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A nice bimble down to Ashford today for brunch.
It was a glorious sunrise which gave way to beautiful blue skies and sunshine of which it stayed for the whole day.
It was cold, 1° at 7am and I don't think it got much above that. The weather really couldn't have been better for winter cycling.
So, scores on the doors. A pip over 100 miles. 3rd imperial century for the year and the 276th over all.

Lovely Kent morning

Enough Mistletoe for Christmas 2020

Bobble Hat in the afternoon sunshine

And the stats

footloose crow

Über Member
19 Jan. Back lanes north of Truro

I always get a song stuck in my head when cycling, endlessly repeating the few words I can remember, that Madame Crow assures me are not even the right words. It is hard being musical and married to me. Today was Willie Nelson and 'blue sky, nothing but blue sky from now on'. Are those the words? At least it an optimistic song and like others on this site today, I am enjoying the bright crispness of a winter anticyclone, hard shadows and sunshine with nothing but blue sky ahead.

Some of the back lanes are still in winter garb, the centre of the lane a foot higher than the tracks either side in places, potholes hidden. But away from the shade of trees and with free drainage the other lanes are dry and the bike runs smoothly along them, humming contentedly to itself, as pleased as me to be let out this day.

There is a bright green flush in the hedgerows now, cow parsley fern I think, and some optimistic wild garlic shoots. Wild daffodils are still hiding their bells unlike the tame ones in Truro that have been out since December. I tell myself to take it slowly, not to overcook it, remember I am convalescing but it is no good. A hill is a challenge and must be met. Breathing heavily I leave the gloom of the tree shrouded lanes near Truro and puff up to the open high roads with views both sides of fields and copses, a few cows out a sign of our mild winter. There is a frost on the shaded side of the road although it is past mid day and ice rattles in my mudguards.

Once near the A30 I have reached the highest point of the ride and turn right, a forgotten lane that runs along the central ridge of Cornwall, views spilling away to my right, sun warming me despite the bite of cold air in my lungs. I see what I think are goats and puzzled, slow down. They are muntjac deer, three of them, watching me anxiously. I don't move and nor do they, a shared minute until by some instinct they turn and trot away, elegantly jumping, weightless, effortless, ground covering leaps.

The lane continues in its secret ways, crossing the new A39 after a steep downhill and then following the old, abandoned now except to cyclists A39 back up the hill. Then away again, meeting a car for the first time today. He stops and waits for me to come past. That happens three times today, one even reversing a hundred yards as the lane is too narrow for us both. Are people are just more chilled and laid back in the countryside? Maybe its the 450 lumen strobe I now have on the front!

A long downhill, two miles of it through woods and wet lanes, crossing a bridge at the bottom where with the sun streaming through the bare branches and the ground steaming in the heat I stop for a drink and some chocolate.

I need a rest, my legs have grown lazy and now the road ahead is uphill, steeply, the Wahoo says 20% in places and who am I to disbelieve it. I want to stop but play the game of 'just get to that tree, just get to that corner' until lungs heaving and bike weaving I emerge again on the plateau and into sunshine, pulling down the zips of both layers of clothing, overheated and now feeling very tired.

On, on... a bit of up and a bit of down but nothing too hard now, the sun warm although the ground is still frosted in places. Through Grampound Road, accelerating down the long hill but having to stop at the bottom for a car when I hoped to use momentum to carry me up the other side. No matter, the legs have decided to work for a while and we make fast progress, much faster than earlier on. On through Probus, quiet as always today with its church tower that can been seen for miles, hanging watchfully over the village. A fast downhill, breaking the speed limit, leaving traffic in my wake and then I am beside the Tresillian River. It is half tide, the lowering sun making the mud glisten and glow, waders and mud feeding birds following the retreating tide. I always mean to stop here for a photo but as always the flat road brings out the need to for speed, legs spinning, always trying to beat my previous time. Today I don't but it feels good to try.

The last hill and into our quiet lane, the mile of tree hung broken tarmac that leads just to our house. Rattling over the cattle grid I surprise a big dog fox who lopes away unhappily as the pheasant he was stalking jumps into the air, squawking hysterically. Madame Crow feeds the pheasants here with raisins. The fox will eventually appreciate her kindness too, but not today.

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 17.09.43.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out with my brother this afternoon for a hilly ride to Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley and back via Dorrington and Condover.

I thought that heading out after lunch would have been plenty of time for the ice to have melted as per yesterday, but after crossing Lyth Hill we found plenty still about anywhere that was sheltered from the sun. We carried on, but carefully, and had fairly good run up the hill to Oaks where the views were good in such clear conditions. After a pause we headed for the next climb across Broom Hill which is quite a pull and was icy so I was losing traction in places. Doug managed it without a stop but found this one quite an effort.

Another careful descent followed to the foot of the steepest climb of the day on the way to Pulverbatch. Doug got on well up this but again there was ice and I was struggling for traction (Doug was winding his way up in his lowest gear while I was in a slightly higher gear and standing on the pedals). There followed a recurring pattern of slow up the climbs, careful on the descents on the undulating route through Wilderley until we got to the big descent of the day down to Dorrington. This is along a relatively busy lane so the traffic had cleared practically all the ice and we could get along a bit quicker. The A49 had no traffic at all when we crossed it in Dorrington, which was nice, then we only saw a couple of cars until Condover.

18.6 miles at 10 mph average which is better than I'd expected considering we'd had to take it so cautiously.

At Lyth Hill which was quite a popular place to be today.

At Oaks.

Another break after Wilderley before we finally start descending.

Top Bottom