Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
21 January. South of the Camel

I need to feed the rat. It is gnawing away at me. The sky is blue and the wind light and yes it is cold but not so cold I can't go out and the month is disappearing, days passing, my sand clock running out. The GP this morning said I need to go slowly but I tried that already and it didn't work. So today I am going to feed my rat, my gnawing persistent need for the bike. Madame Crow declines to come and takes the car and I am left with the ancient camper van that has sat on the drive for a month, because I want to go somewhere new. I am tired of the steep climbs out of Truro. Or maybe just tired.

View attachment 501520

From from my elevated position on the A30 it is certain that today it will be a 'North coast day' as the high cloud persists over the south of Cornwall but it is clear all the way across the north coast. Nearing Wadebridge I can see in the distance the blueness of the Atlantic and a line of white, where waves are breaking on the Doom Bar.

The Camel Trail in winter is a much lonelier path than when filled with the mayhem of summer: heedless family groups, children wobbling, walkers aggressively striding along the middle of the path.The trail sits in the deep shadow of the valley and is overhung with trees. All the cold air from the last week has been gathering along the valley and it is cold, very cold. My tyres scythe the puddled ice. My lungs hurt with the freezing air and my nose streams a salty contrail as I speed along the path.

View attachment 501521

I am heading south on the trail for just a few miles and then will find a small back lane that leads through Wenn and Withiel and passes old four square, green tinged granite farmhouses with grand sweeping views of empty, bright green fields and hills. This is forgotten Cornwall. The lane shows that no one ever comes this way - the tarmac is broken, layers of mud from farm tyres, a central reservation of grass keeping me on my side of the road although the tractors take up all of it. Be careful on the bends, I tell myself after the first near collision.

The initial few miles undulate, lending me the feeling that I am fitter and weller than I will turn out to be. A right turn and suddenly the hill emerges, a near vertical wall of tarmac, 300 feet of 8% with bits of 18%. So OK, not vertical but steep enough for me. I struggle for breath all the way, my remnant lungs are not man enough for this. But a few weeks ago I was better and I will be again. Pause at the top, some jelly babies, shuddering breaths slowly easing. The views are good and the air clean and sharp. It is good to be alive today.

View attachment 501524

That was the worst hill and todays ride is relatively flat for Cornwall. Despite this I am slow, even pushing on the flats is only yielding an average of 14mph and I am straight into bottom gear as soon as the road tilts up. I am torn between frustration at my pace and joy at being out. Neither emotion wins - it is just a stalemate that tips one way or another as the gradient changes.

I have a section now on a busy B road. Quarry lorries roar past and then a van with flashing lights. I wonder why. Then over my shoulder I can see a mobile home, one of those that is not mobile unless you have a low loader and it is creeping up on me, the wind blowing all sound the other way. It is a shock to see a house overtake you and I stop to let it pass safely as it needs the full width of the road. With relief after a few miles I can turn off this overly busy B road and then see ahead a 180 degree vista of sea as the north coast appears. Quiet lanes, all NCN approved and blue badged. Easy navigation and the Wahoo chirps and buzzes contentedly. This is like an Enid Blyton illustration of the seaside. Hedged lanes, sudden bends, then a new vista on every corner, a view across fields to the sea and a warming sun. The road drops and climbs but only very timidly as if afraid to upset me too much and I am grateful to it as my weak and flaccid thighs seem unequal to the task today.

Lunch on the beach, although I am careful not to get sand on the gears. Five surfers out, Middle Aged Men In Neoprene which is more acceptable it seems than my lycra. Despite the sun it is cold here with a wind off the sea and I will not linger long.

View attachment 501528

View attachment 501529

One last hill out of Harlyn Bay, holding up a line of VW Transporters driven by MAMINs as they try to get past. I am going as fast as I can boys and I will stop and let you pass as soon as there is a gateway. Padstow is relatively empty, this is the quietest month and I have a fast downhill all the way to Rick Stein's Fish and Chip restaurant and Lobster Farm. Too good and too expensive for me and I roll on knowing I still have a cereal bar in my pocket.

I need another rest. Sit out of the wind and feel the sun. Vitamin D for free. Six flat miles left along the Camel Trail back to Padstow. I can't understand why I feel so tired. But I am, so just get on with it Crow boy. Moaning won't help, show some grit.

View attachment 501530

Six flat miles. I should be able to do this at 20mph at least, the Strava record is 24mph and no one races along the trail for Strava points. Empty today, frozen puddles in the cuttings and then sudden sweeping views across the estuary, dotted with waders and mud feeders, white blobs at this distance. It is so clear and the water so blue it could be summer but my fingers assure me it is not. I cannot get above 15mph. I try until my thighs burn, but it is no good.

Wadebridge arrives but the Wahoo solemnly informs me I have only done 48km, sadly lacking, so I go past the campervan and back up the trail until it clicks over onto 50km. The rat demands it.

A drive home and my eyes want to close. The rat is quiet, fed with some cycling. It demands constant stimulation. It used to be climbing, then sea kayaking and surfing and now it is cycling, the last refuge for old men. I read yesterday that the average Audax member is 55 years old, so today I joined AUK. Someone has to do the 50k events. I will try a 100km this month.....but not yet, not yet.

View attachment 501531
Another good read, thank you. Do you print out your write ups to make a collection or book ? They certainly make a good read and one to look back onto. Keep them coming, you put me to shame.

Oxford Dave

Today started foggy here, so I decided to attend to a couple of things about my bike that were niggling me - which required me to drive into Oxford first to obtain some anti-niggle gadgets. Can't have been too bad as I passed a group of four cyclists on the A 415 heading towards the Kingston Bagpuise roundabout.
The weather was still very damp, some light rain around, when I finally ventured out on two wheels early in the afternoon. Headed out of the village, turned onto a small lane just before one of the bridges over the Thames, followed the traffic-free lane for some time until reaching a B road, through Snarcot, then mixed it with cars and trucks back to the peace and quiet of the village. Stopped for a chat with a friend out walking his dog. I hadn't seen him for a while, and he was surprised to see me on a bike.
Home, showered and satisfied I managed to get out although I wasn't really feeling like it. Rode eleven and a bit miles at an average of 11mph, apparently.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
First time out for a month. A lot has happened in that month; Christmas, two family birthdays, a persistent dose of man flu and a back injury. All of which leaves me 12lb heavier and quite a bit weaker but the weather is surprisingly clement for January so there's probably not a better time to get back in the saddle.

I shot down the hill into Chester le Street taking the direct route through the town centre, dodging buses and pedestrians in the sunshine. I was really enjoying myself until a rifle shot bang had me ducking instinctively. Instantly the back wheel was squirming telling me that this was no rifle shot but a sudden catastrophic visitation.

Luckily it happened right outside the Lambton Arms where the outdoor tables made a useful workshop. The ¾” cut in the carcass was obvious so I put in a fresh tube, booted the tyre with a piece of toothpaste tube and went home to find another one. The only available replacement was a 28mm Schwalbe Marathon+ and it took me quite a while to wrestle it onto the rim, being very, very careful not to nip the tube.

I retraced my route through the town and got onto the C2C track at North Lodge to start the long drag up to Consett.

IMG_0259.JPG

Old King Coal

Lots of dog walkers on the lower section of the path and quite a few cyclists too. A couple of the cyclists were down to their shorts but there were also some who were dressed for a blizzard. This weather seems to have us all confused.

It was a steady plod up the track in a rising headwind that made pedalling much harder than I expected it to be. Just a month ago I was romping up here and tackling the steepest hills in Co. Durham. 'This will be fun when it stops', I thought.

At Consett I dropped of some documents at an estate agents for my daughter. It's the first time I've been into the town centre although I've ridden through Consett more times than I can count. First impression – if I never have to come here again it will be soon enough.

I retraced my route to Annfield Plain on the track but then took to the roads, intending to pick up a decent bottle of wine for my owd lass at the Pip Stop in Maiden Law. Turns out that it's closed and move to the Toon so it looks like she'll get plonk from Tesco.

It's mostly downhill from here and with a tailwind it wasn't too long before I was putting the kettle on.

1579711246092.png

31 miles with 1,600ft of ascent

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Shorter winter route to Ross-on-Wye today. Pete and I headed out rather late. Over the common traffic was heavier than I remember but we were soon on quiet roads as we went by Camer's Green for Redmarley. We jinked by Oxenhall for a dice with the Gorsley triangle. By good fortune we navigated flawlessly to Aston Crews. Now we used some lanes to avoid the busy, fast A40 to loop by Coughton and on into Ross.
The cafe lady knows I like her homemade soup. Mushroom today. Yum indeed. We left Ross by Brampton Abbotts to avoid the dangerous dual carriageway. Then it was the well used run to Dymock and Bromsberrow where Pete turned for Ledbury and another coffee with his better half. I decided I'd had enough so took the road back over the common to Welland. Crumbs that's getting busy for some reason.
Lovely ride on a misty day. The roads were filthy. Never known so much mud about. 52 smiles

footloose crow

Über Member
Al Alvarez reference perhaps?

Another fascinating read. As @Shearwater Missile says your posts could be cobbled into a right good book.

Yes Al Alvarez. 'Feeding the rat' is his description of Mo Anthoine who was a driven climber. Climbing is a lot like cycling - unless you have done it, to outsiders it seems mad or pointless. Both are highly addictive.

An unexpected day off AND sunshine...can only lead to one thing :bicycle:
But, for whatever reason, the legs just were not having it today. Really enjoyed it (which is the main thing), a nice 3.5 hours in the sunshine, but I have never recorded such a low mph :sad:
Stats, for anyone interested (or who could maybe shed a light on why I was so rubbish)!
1579725629248.png

1579725663351.png

1579725689328.png

1579725851084.png

After a few nice days today was far from it. Although no frost like the last few days it was replaced by gloom and mist and feeling damp. I`d put off the ride until after lunch hoping that the cloud might lift but no such luck.
Off I went on a usual route albeit anti-clockwise for a change and a slight variation. It is one good thing about the routes I usually do, there are lots of variations. I`d told Mrs Shearwater that I`d be back at 14:20 so knew roughly where I would add on and take off the route. I cycled to Mendlesham Green and I must admit I did wonder if I was a fool or not going out in this mist / drizzle. I was already thinking about a cup of tea and a piece of Victoria sandwich cake and I had`nt even got to six miles ! On to Mendlesham and Wickham Skeith and then I passed another cyclist who`s front light I could see for some time before we passed and waved to each other. Strange that cyclists can have their lights on and be seen yet the stupid car drivers have no lights on at all and there were a lot like that. It just beggars belief does it not ?
By the time I reached Finningham I was actually enjoying the ride, maybe due to the fact there seemed to be little in the way of wind (5mph) and it did`nt feel cold at 6 degrees. It certainly made up for that in the dampness stakes and the roads were just wet because of the low cloud base. I continued on to Wyverstone and back towards Bacton and onto the B1113 to Stowmarket.
It was a good ride and my fastest since 30th November at 17.4 mph average on what turned out to be 22.2 miles and I arrived home at 14:21 so the timing was pretty good. Now if only Greater Anglia Railways could run to time like that, now there`s a thought. I wish !

An unexpected day off AND sunshine...can only lead to one thing :bicycle:
But, for whatever reason, the legs just were not having it today. Really enjoyed it (which is the main thing), a nice 3.5 hours in the sunshine, but I have never recorded such a low mph :sad:
Stats, for anyone interested (or who could maybe shed a light on why I was so rubbish)!
View attachment 501679
View attachment 501680
View attachment 501681
View attachment 501682
I can`t offer any explanation as I struggle to wonder why some of my rides are better than others. I record temperature, windspeed and direction as well as distance and height gained, perhaps I should include barometric pressure as well ! There are days when the mind is willing and the body says something different altogether. I just put it down to age and usual aches and pains in my case. I usually blame the weather for the lack of anything else to blame. Having said that, my ride today was 17.4 mph average on a grotty day yet earlier in the week on lovely sunny days was 17.1 on a similar route. That messes my theory up about the weather. If you find out the cause let me know.

Cavalol

Guru
Nothing to write home about, but wanted to get out of the house and test the new tyres in the mud.

They were really good, to be fair. Grip was fantastic and the tread shed mud very quickly. Minor gripe that the sidewalls seemed to do the opposite (i.e not shed mud) which was more annoying than anything. I had bailed once really need to get a dropper post as this bike is huge, so even though I can touch the floor, it's going to be much easier in the really boggy stuff. This bridleway is actually quite tame compared to some of the other local ones, there's actually one I've never completed without pushing, it's incredibly deep.

I'll try on an old, smaller steel framed clunker on 26" wheels one day, possibly wearing wellies and see if the worst one can be conquered.

Cavalol

Guru
Supposed to have been really grey and cold today, but the sun came out so out came the bike. This isn't an epic mega mile trip, but one of my favourite rides. More fun in the winter/spring, as the ground gets really boggy by the river. Good workout over the meadows due to the surface, put the suspension on and tried to ride the very worse bits. Not too many people about, three hikers and a smattering of dog walkers, just one of those ideal days for this kind of ride. Was going to create a Strava section for bits of the ride, but I always end up stopping to take pictures and it's a pleasure ride, not a race, so if I start trying to bomb round I'll stop enjoying it. That said, I did make an attempt at Dee Hill climb, but I got the gears wrong and wasn't really mentally prepared enough. That can wait until the next time I'm on a road bike.

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Supposed to have been really grey and cold today, but the sun came out so out came the bike. This isn't an epic mega mile trip, but one of my favourite rides. More fun in the winter/spring, as the ground gets really boggy by the river. Good workout over the meadows due to the surface, put the suspension on and tried to ride the very worse bits. Not too many people about, three hikers and a smattering of dog walkers, just one of those ideal days for this kind of ride. Was going to create a Strava section for bits of the ride, but I always end up stopping to take pictures and it's a pleasure ride, not a race, so if I start trying to bomb round I'll stop enjoying it. That said, I did make an attempt at Dee Hill climb, but I got the gears wrong and wasn't really mentally prepared enough. That can wait until the next time I'm on a road bike.

View attachment 501769

View attachment 501770

View attachment 501771

View attachment 501772

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Looks like a nice ride, but what on God's earth is that architectural monstrosity featured in the last photo?? And who the feck gave it planning permission in such a beautiful spot???

Top Bottom