Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxford Dave

Had a ride this morning as I will be busy with musical stuff this afternoon. Rode through Stanton Harcourt, Hardwick, Yelford, Lew, Bampton and home via Aston and Cote. Nearly bailed out early after the 4 mile or so Stanton H./Hardwick loop as I was only a mile and a bit from home and already feeing tired, as I was out late last night (musical stuff again), but pushed myself to carry on and had an enjoyable ride from then one. I was riding one gear lower everywhere for the first few miles as I simply didn't have the energy, but picked up after that and ended up doing 18.1 miles in an hour and thirty four for an average of 11.8, my fastest yet. Total since I climbed back on a bike three weeks ago after a 15 year break is now 297 miles.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Trying to use up my holidays so another day off today. Out on my winter bike just after lunch, a lovely ride out but really struggled with the strong headwinds.
31.2 miles with an average of 14.1 mph.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I didn’t think I would get time for a ride yesterday as my daughter wanted me to take her clothes shopping which with a sixteen year old daughter is usually a long and stressful experience and much better done with her friends but we were finished surprisingly quickly which left just enough time for a quick tour of Whixall’s lanes. I headed through Northwood, Whixall, Alkington, Hollinswood,Coton, Abbeygreen, Edstaston Creamore, Wem and back over The Lowe, Horton then home. Despite the weather forecast being no rain it was raining when I left although it did stop half way round and still windy which made it hard work in places. 18.3 miles @14.9mph.
Today was bright and sunny but still a bit windy and I had a new route planned. Started towards Wolverley, Loppington, Burlton, Myddle Wood, Myddle, Alderton , Harmer Hill down a new lane to Hadnall, Sansaw Heath, past Sansaw Estate, Yorton up the hill to Clive, back down the hill to the Wem road where an idiot pushed past me into the oncoming traffic giving me a couple of cm space, it’s a long straight bit of road and there was no reason for him not to wait,I was too shocked to even swear at him. I carried on to Barkers Green, Aston, Wem, Creamore, Horton, back to Loppington, Lyneal, Hampton Bank, Bettisfield, Northwood and back home. It seemed like every idiot in Shropshire was out today with a few close passes at speed although only the one really bad one. Some of the roads and lanes were actually dry today for the first time in ages but still had to clean my bike as you couldn’t tell what colour it was. 34.26 miles @15.1 mph, still enough wind to be a nuisance and first 50km for February done.

Oxford Dave

Another windy day, hit the road just after 10 AM, Yelford, Curbridge, Witney and then back via Cogges, Stanton Harcourt and Northmoor. Nothing special to report, other than being overflown several times by an RAF Typhoon at low level as it performed circuits around Brize Norton. Don't suppose the pilot was as aware of the wind as I was!
Three weeks today since I first turned a peddle again, and I have clocked up 316 miles in that time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Challenge ride time again. I needed to get one done early as February looks like being an awkward month for me. Monday looked like being the best out of the days I can do, so I got up early and was on the road by ten to seven.

There was quite a strong westerly wind to start with which made a repeat of the route I did last month the best option as I'd have it helping through the middle of the ride and hopefully easing later in the day when I needed to ride into it again.

Setting out towards Condover the main road was quiet unlike last time. I thought there was a problem when I spotted a line of red lights ahead of me but it turned out to be just a very well lit lorry in the layby.:laugh:

Turning westwards after Condover The headwind was as bad as I'd feared and made progress fairly slow through Exfords Green, Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley where there was a strong smell of cooking beef from the corned beef factory. I think I'd get sick of beef quite quickly if I lived in the village. Just outside Minsterley I disturbed a buzzard which took off from the hedge and flew close by for a short distance while looking for a new vantage point to settle.

The section through Westbury to Halfway House wasn't too bad, mostly having a crosswind (or a tailwind for a short stretch). Crossing the A458 in Halfway House there was another line of red lights but this time it was a queue of traffic as there had been a crash on the Welshpool side of the village. There were a few vehicles trying to get round the incident on the lanes but fortunately I soon left them behind as I headed for Prince's Oak and back into the wind to Crew Green. As well as having the wind against me there was also the small issue of a set of roadworks where the traffic lights had failed.

After a quick snack stop by Melverley I was heading north again so the wind was less of an issue. I varied the route compared to last time by heading to Maesbrook, The Wood and Maesbury on my way into Oswestry. The marked cycle route to Gobowen has had the hedges cut recently and no attempt to clean up the cuttings. I picked up a thorn in the front but luckily it didn't get through the tread.

I finally picked up the tailwind at Gobowen which helped on the undulating section to Ellesmere. This road was very wet and muddy with minor floods to be waded through in places. I varied the route again after Hindford, heading through Perthy before rejoining the marked route at Crickett and wished I hadn't as this detour was even rougher and muddier than the signed route.

I paused by The Mere at Ellesmere for my elevenses stop before heading onto another route variation by heading south to Lee then across to Whitemere, Colemere and Lyneal, picking up my usual route again near Hampton Bank and aiming for Northwood, Dobson's Bridge and Coton. This was a great section of the ride once I reached the flatter roads and was able to scoot along with little effort to Prees (apart from being held up by a train).

After miles of flat and easy riding the climb out of Prees always comes as a bit of a shock to the system, especially on 18kg (plus luggage) of knockabout bike, but once it's out of the way there is a nice downhill stretch to Prees Higher Heath. I found more queueing traffic when crossing the main road here (didn't find out what was causing that).

Getting to Ightfield and Calverhall seemed fairly easy going today then after Calverhall I picked up the tailwind again and the bike seemed to fly along at some of the best cruising speeds of the trip (18-20mph) to Longslow where I had a break to eat my lunch. I got a bit cold while eating so it took a little while to get going again on the way to Longford and into Market Drayton. (I take this slightly dog-leg route partly because it adds a bit of distance but mostly because it takes me under the busy A53).

I took the usual roundabout route through Market Drayton and left town past the golf club and through Sutton, Stoke Heath and Stoke-on-Tern. I didn't have the tailwind anymore but was still getting along fairly well as I passed through Ollerton and Eaton-upon-Tern. Things get a bit more undulating after this and I was slowing by the time I got to Cold Hatton, Ellerdine and High Ercall with more frequent drink stops being needed.

Once getting off the busy section of road after High Ercall I had my afternoon snack stop and the flapjack and banana helped through Rodington Heath, Withington, Upton Magna and Atcham where someone polite in a BMW allowed me out into traffic.:thumbsup: I was slow up the climb at Cronkhill and found a surprising lack of traffic in Cross Houses. Being slow on the way to Condover made me feel that I didn't fancy the tackling headwind and the busy traffic if I took the shortest way home so I decided to go over Lyth Hill (which would also round the mileage up a bit as this version of the route looked like being a tad shorter than last time).

I ran out of energy by the old Condover Station so opened the jelly babies which gave just the boost I needed to complete the climb.

102.28 miles at 12.3 mph moving average. With the stops the total time was 9 hours and 55 minutes. Fairly happy with that as it's an improvement on my last couple of centuries.

Before dawn near to Minsterley but the sun is on its way.

Second breakfast stop near to Melverley. Shame about the cloud rolling in.

At Maesbury.

Elevenses stop at Ellesmere.

Whitemere.

Colemere.

Getting held up at Prees Station.

View of Styche Hall from my lunch stop.

Near Market Drayton, the elephant grass is about due for harvesting.

On the old bridge at Atcham

Yesterday I replaced the RD cable so I thought I`d better have a test ride today. I am fairly competent with cables so really it was an excuse to get out.
It seemed which ever way I cycled it was either a head or cross wind and at times it was very cross ! So I did a 12.25 mile loop to Mendlesham Green and it was fairly flat but the wind .....24 mph gusting 39 mph ! At least I was able to go through the gears and on a short part where the wind was behind me I managed to get into the 12 tooth sprocket for a few hundred yards. I may have had a longer ride but I had a burning right thigh and don`t know why, new to me. It came on during Sunday`s ride. So a 12.25 mile ride at 17.0 mph average. And yes, the cable and indexing was spot on. I should`nt have doubted myself !

Oxford Dave

My ride today failed to leave the garage! I got changed into my cycling gear, unlocked the bike, and decided to check the tyre pressures. As I turned the back wheel by hand to put the valve in a convenient position, I realised that one of the spokes moved but the wheel didn't.
Back indoors, change, phone bike shop and arrange to take wheel in for spoke replacement.
While there, though, I had test rides on a couple of bikes and there's a good chance my flock (or is it a herd?) of bikes will double in number very soon. At least I'll be able to my daily ride in even if one has a problem.
Lovely day for a ride too :sad:

My ride today failed to leave the garage! I got changed into my cycling gear, unlocked the bike, and decided to check the tyre pressures. As I turned the back wheel by hand to put the valve in a convenient position, I realised that one of the spokes moved but the wheel didn't.
Back indoors, change, phone bike shop and arrange to take wheel in for spoke replacement.
While there, though, I had test rides on a couple of bikes and there's a good chance my flock (or is it a herd?) of bikes will double in number very soon. At least I'll be able to my daily ride in even if one has a problem.
Lovely day for a ride too :sad:

It happens. And yes a backup bike is really handy sometimes.

This is especially true if it is your main form of transport because bike shops don't tend to react with the urgency that we might like in such circumstances.

Last edited:

Oxford Dave

To be fair, the bike is not my main form of transport, but is definitely my preferred form of transport. But without the car I wouldn't have been able to get the wheel to the bike shop...
I suspect my current bike will become my backup bike if I buy one of the ones I tried today.

To be fair, the bike is not my main form of transport, but is definitely my preferred form of transport. But without the car I wouldn't have been able to get the wheel to the bike shop...

To every problem there is a solution:

rando_rebuild_04a-jpg.jpg

ETA: Frame wrapped up on the other side. This was followed by some pretty snappy building because Elder Son was riding the dismantled bike back that evening.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Weather today was much better than the weekend forecast so decided to take a day off and get a ride in to Ribblehead. No ice or wind but very misty and cold. Lovely route out of Ingleton and Chapel-le-Dale. Watched a large goods train from the quarries cross the Ribblehead viaduct. The cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale has closed down so had to refuel in Clapham.

757CAF1D-8A4E-4AB2-94E7-C3BF342E4FF9.jpeg

B789E72F-C8D9-4134-A6E3-683037500DE1.jpeg

BD3F7FDC-BDFE-4445-8005-AF651D4C902C.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A ride out to Abingdon today to visit a couple of bike shops to see what they had on offer and although they had some very nice bikes, Merida, Genesis for example none were inspiring me unfortunately.

The ride was uneventful, took the mainly traffic free route to Abingdon but got diverted because they’ve closed the path from Sutton Courtney to Abingdon, fad to follow a diversion. Once my errands were done I took the direct route back via Milton, Steventon and Harwell.

No photos today, to busy, 21.68 of your imperial miles.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride was a quick run back home from Bury St. Edmunds. Thanks to a Greater Angla promotion the normal one way rail fare is £11.70, but I could buy a return ticket for £10 and not use the return portion. A back road route was plotted on Strava last night and the ticket purchased this morning once it was confirmed that the trains were operating normally (or as normal as they could given GA's recent troubles). After a quick change of bikes to my Ventus having discovered a soft tyre on the Spa, I got the 09:30 from my local station and got to Bury at 10:30

Once out of Bury station a short trip under the rail line and the A14 and a right turn found me quickly in the countryside and leaving the steaming chimney of the British Sugar factory behind on the way to Great Barton where the GPS guided me down a pot-holed track thanks to Strava allowing the use of footpaths & private roads - later it would try to send me down a green lane, but this was in an area I knew so carried on to join the intended road further on.

From Great Barton it was on to Pakenham, Stowlangtoft and Great Ashfield foa a quick photo stop at the church
All Saints, Great Ashfield.jpg
From there it was down to Elmswell, Wetherden & Haughly, across the A140 to Mickfield and finally on to roads I know for the last half of the ride. As can be seen from the photo, it was clear skies all the way, light winds and warmer than expected.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3073791976
Screenshot_2020-02-05 Garmin Connect.png

After this I just hope my legs can put up with standing up for a few hours at the Sorry gig in Cambridge this evening!

Top Bottom