Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The internet is strange, who’d a thought twenty years ago folks would meet a load of people that they only know (sort of, a bit) on the internet.
Well that’s what six of us did today, The Dawes Kingpin and Raleigh Twenty FB group ride from Havant Station to Hayling Island and back , four Kingpins, one Raleigh Twenty and a Moulton and riders turned up on a grey dry day for a conversational ride and swapping bike stories. Totally daft but fun.

17.2 miles. View attachment 507496 View attachment 507495
View attachment 507500

View attachment 507501

View attachment 507502
That's great. I was joined for a bit yesterday by two guys on a very old tandem. Puts a smile on your face 😁

Landsurfer

Veteran
Chris and i parked the van at Beckingham near Gainsbrough and cycled through Gainsbrough , up the bank of the Trent to Keadby Bridge and back down the other side of the river.
A warm pleasant day ... but not a shop or cafe on the ride .... so bacon and sausage butties at the Beckingham Cafe at the end ... Lovely morning.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just the two of us out this morning ... Alex the glaswegian and me. After joining him for the last couple of rides, I'm really starting to get somewhere with understanding the glaswegian accent. Today I swear I caught nearly 50% of what he said. And I think I said "yes" in all the right places in the conversations. We even found some common ground when we sat downing our black coffees in the Aviator Cafe at Gloucestershire Airport, as we both extolled the virtues of Stornoway black pudding.

As my bike was playing up in a number of little ways following a pressure washing the other day, we avoided the hills and headed out on flat roads through the Gloucester suburbs to the edge of Cheltenham (with views to GCHQ) to the airport and back. A bit breezy today, but at least we avoided the showers. 35.5 miles.

Anyway, see yous. Donger

I needed to get some milk this morning so headed out through the usual northbound route of Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne & Waldringfield before doubling back to avoid a section still flooded from the midweek rain. From Brightwell it was back northbound through the Bealings villages and Grundisburgh up to Otley for the first time this year, then across to Ashbocking and back southbound where it was almost constant headwind through Witnesham, Westerfield and round Ipswich with a slight diversion through Rushmere just for a break from the wind!

From Rushmere, it was the usual Bucklesham route home back to Trimley where I picked up a litre of milk from the local McColl's store and completed the final mile home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3162094401
View attachment 507521 View attachment 507522
My, that`s a long ride for a litre of milk. It reminded me of a car tyre advert many years ago, perhaps Dunlop ? The guy say to his wife "Just popping out for.......... (can`t remember what)". He goes off and laps the world twice I think, in his car. Just think you could do an ad for cycle tyres " Just popping out for some milk dear". Some 4000 miles later, arriving home with the milk. "How did you get on dear ?" The tyres, they were brilliant. " No, I mean the milk silly".
Seriously though, good read. You`ll have to excuse my imagination.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Haven't really been on any rides worthy of reporting on for several months. Just "holding" rides all winter. But the last few, and especially yesterday and today's have been noticeable for the new technique of not clipping in. Knee pain has been getting worse over the last few months (to the extent where climbing up stairs, tying shoe laces, putting the lead on the dog, causes a lot of pain) and I have a strong suspicion clipping in isn't helping. I think on the hills not clipping in makes things harder, but I' m happy to be slower if it means I can ride longer (in terms of years).

Hopefully with spring here and the rain and wind easing there will be some better rides very soon!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride started of with a trip into Felixstowe on a bottlebank run followed by a bit of food shopping for work on Monday & Tuesday. Having put the food in the fridge, it was straight back out to enjoy what the BBC weather forecast promised to be a mild & dry day. I wish they'd go back to the Met Office as a forecast provider instead of the MeteoGroup as I ended up riding what felt liike a mobile bidet for the last 5 miles or so thanks to a really heavy shower. Still, it completed the 3 monthly challenges and provided a very nice view near the end
Rainbow.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/3165604973
Screenshot_2020-03-08 Another wrong weather forecast Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-03-08 Another wrong weather forecast Ride Strava(1).png

After a couple of days away from the saddle today looked a good bet despite the pessimistic chance of showers.
For a change I went up to Old Newton on the B1113 and then turning left ( instead of carrying on as usual) to Haughley via the level crossing. As sure as eggs are eggs the lights just started to flash and the barriers came down. I did`nt have to wait long and spent my time going through the alphabet on the carriages, I got as far as K ! I continued on and through Haughley up to Bacton and then picking up my usual route. The roads are drying but water still sits in the fields. I can`t help but think that where new houses are being built on arable land we are always going to have water run off onto roads, you just see it so much now. Why can`t the developers plant at least two trees for every house built, it may be some kind of offset, wishful thinking on my part.
From Wyverstone, Westhorpe and Finningham, ignoring the road closed sign. It was open one side anyway ! This stretch of the road I had the wind behind me, lubbly jubbly I thought, this will do. Of course once I turned off on the Mendlesham road that tail changed to a side which was quite blustery at times. On through Mendlesham and to Mendlesham Green, stopping for a photo shoot, first the post box which I think is a private one for a house. I would`nt want to post any mail in there in case it is just the house, looking at those hinges. Whilst taking the shot of the village sign I noticed the metalwork behind it referring to the Armada of 1588. To my knowledge the Spanish armada never made it as far as Mendlesham Green. If I am wrong please tell me.
The ride ended at 25 miles at a nice 17mph average, temp was 11 oC with a 19 mph WSW wind. The only wildlife I saw other that sparrows and blackbirds was one yellowhammer.
One day I will ride my summer bike, dream on buddy !

13 rider

Guru
Today I had to arranged with @Supersuperleeds to attempt our Imperial ton for the monthly challenge which due to wind direction was to be destination Lincoln . So up early at 0500 and got a message from @Supersuperleeds couldn't make it due to a family issue . I sat there in lycra feeling sight unmotivated contemplating what to do ? . Decided to head out on the route and see how far I feel like so out the door at 0600. Had to do a loop before the meeting point to get the required distance in . Got back to my village after 5 miles and it starts to rain , rain jacket on and spirits dampened but press on .30 minutes later it stops raining so jacket off and didn't need it again . Out up the Wreake valley and begin to feel the tailwind flying along now . Thoughts about bailing at Grantham or Sleaford and train home are in my head . Through Grantham which was nice and quiet . There was suppose to be a cafe stop at 57 miles but I didn't know which cafe and the distance was around Sleaford . Was still early and didn't see anything open so just pressed on and relied on bars and gels . The first 60 miles were dispatched at 17.8 mph mainly down to the tailwind not my legs. Out into the flat fens and really feeling the wind . @Supersuperleeds route was design to grab some veloviewer squares which meant some deadend lanes . The route was only 103 miles in total so didn't have many spares mile's to play with . At one point I rode 2 miles down a lane at 24mph only to turn round and grovel back at 10 mph on the drops putting in plenty of effort @Supersuperleeds was cursed loudly at this point . The last 20 miles back to Lincoln were either 20 mph or 12 mph depending on direction . Made the station with 102 miles in the bag at 16.2 mph so not to shabby . Was happy I could catch a 30 minute early train only to discover when I changed trains at Nottingham I had a 45 minute wait and would have made this train even with the later train from Lincoln . Back at Loughborough I had 12 miles home ,3 miles from home and a proper down pour . So the only time I've got wet in 6.5 hrs were within 3 miles of home . Despite the wind in the fens it was a great day to be out . Glad I forced myself to do it today as I have limited chances this month so challenge ticked off . Had to clean the bike it was filthy lots of farmers had been on the fields dragging mud on the roads . The route took in some lovely quiet virtually traffic free which was great

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One of those rare things today; a ride in the company of my brother. Being a blustery day with showers around we stuck to the tried and tested Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington, Shrewsbury route as this worked with the wind direction.

Starting out was alright but a few spots of rain were soon felt and after Lyth Hill there was a moderate shower that made me wonder if the ride would be enjoyable. Fortunately it didn't last too long and after Condover we picked up a good tailwind that swept us along at a good rate to Cross Houses. It was more of a cross wind on the way to Atcham but we got along fairly well regardless. It was Doug's choice to stay on the road rather than taking the scenic detour through Attingham Park and today we found it to be quite busy so were quite glad when our turn off onto Pelham Road came up, along with a return of the tailwind.

We paused at The Haughmond for a pint and a chat. Out of the wind it was quite pleasant sitting in the beer garden and I heard all about Doug's first trip of the season on the boat (the booked event apparently went well but there were lots of technical issues to deal with)

Like last time we rode this way, we were straight into a headwind on leaving the pub which slowed progress a bit. There wasn't much traffic on this lane but one of the drivers we did meet seemed to think he was in a rally.

The old canal path was really wet and muddy and we probably should have gone around. At the end of it, Doug opted for the shorter route back which is all segregated cyclepath but is also rather dull and directly into the wind.

19.6 miles this time at 11.4 mph average. Doug was talking about future rides so I think his enthusiasm is back.:okay:

On the old bridge at Atcham.

Refreshment at The Haughmond.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Decided to head North today and back into the forest there. The ride started out on the usual quiet country lanes, bordered by freshly pollarded trees, in time for spring. Before too long I'm crossing the silent runway at the glider school, still too early in the year for flying though. Not to much further and the entrance to the woods opened up and I dived off the road and under the canopy. There are many tracks weaving there way through the forest and today I'd uploaded a new course through the maze that I'd not explored before, winding between stands of Larch and Scots Pine on wonderful gravel tracks.

Before long I swung back south and started to head back towards more familiar trails. At one junction I pulled up to a halt, the rest of what would normally be pristine gravel road had been churned up into a quagmire by loggers.

I checked the maps on my Garmin and saw the track to my right would make a suitable diversion and off I set once more. The rest of the ride passed with no dramas as the wind slowly strengthened and provided a stern test in the last exposed kilometres along the country lanes I'd first headed out on. In total I travelled 29.4 kilometres at just over 21kph average, a nice start to my Sunday.

Top Bottom