Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. The direct route north west from Gala towards Edinburgh follows the valley of the Gala Water (traditionally known as Wedale though I've no idea of the etymology of the name). The first 'modern' road was a turnpike built in the 1760s which followed the west bank of the river. It was built for post horses, for which gradients were not an issue, so rather than follow the meanderings of the valley it goes up and over all of the various obstacles. Most of it is still open as a minor road and in normal times is the only sensible way to go. The second road was a turnpike built around 1810 which was designed for wheeled (horse-drawn) traffic. It was well engineered to have an almost constant gentle gradient, and to achieve this is meanders as much as the river does. It is now the A7 and is the main road from the central and southern Borders to Edinburgh. It is not well suited to motor traffic and there have been a few improvements over the years but there are long stretches of double white lines and it is definitely not a road to cycle up. I did try once before when it was closed further north for the erection of the Hardengreen railway viaduct -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqNMFG5FiU

On that occasion traffic was less than half normal levels but I gave up as it was still too busy.
I thought it might be quiet, but was amazed at just how quiet it was. I rode the A7 as far as Heriot, as beyond that is a section that I have ridden before, but I made a short detour up a dead end road I've never had any reason to go up before. This is the view from the summit, only 16 miles from the centre of Edinburgh -

From there I turned round and retraced my route south, 19 miles to home. After a mile I was overtaken by a motorcycle -

After another five miles I was overtaken by a car -

A further nine miles and I pulled over to let the Aldi truck pass -

And again a quarter of a mile later for a car -

And one more, in Gala, just over a mile from home -

FIVE motor vehicles in 19 miles on a road normally too busy to even consider cycling on.
Speaking of which I only saw three cycles, all on my northbound leg, all going south, including this tandem recumbent -

In other news, my Gopro is working again.^_^

The map -
1586771833770.png

38.2 miles @ 16.1 mph, 393m up.

colly

Re member eR
Monday, Easter Monday no less, and oddly, or not, it seems just like any other lockdown day. After a lovely Saturday and Sunday Easter Monday morning was overcast and dull

Local lanes again and apart from seeing lots of families on bikes not much was going on. It was surprisingly windy and decidedly cold. Up Wellington Hill and along Wetherby Road and at Scarcroft I turned towards Thorner. Hetchel Woods came and went, as did East Rigton, Compton Lane, Jewitt Lane, Bramham Lane, Holme Farm Lane, East Rigton, Bramham Lane, Bramham Lane, Thorner Lane, Holme Farm Lane, Bramh.................you get the idea. If it had been warmer and less windy it would have been a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. As it was it was a bit of a grind so I cut it short. Back past Hetchel Woods, into Thorner, Carr Lane to Shadwell (just for a change like) Moortown and home via Street Lane and Roundhay Park.

22.5 miles and 1300 ft of up. Fixed wheel

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/47116300

Landsurfer

Veteran
Its like the Tour De France around here .... well a slightly weird one .... hordes of people who have rarely cycled before are suddenly appearing on the roads and paths wobbling about on their bikes ... good for the longterm i suppose ... lots of kiddies out on bikes with parents ... good !
Unfortunately there seem to be a higher than usual number of electric mountain bikes speeding along the canal path .. the riders dressed for an ascent of Everest rather than a cycle ... all the MTB gear known to man, to ride along the canal path ......
Anywayup ... had a nice potter from Rotherham to Hillsborough ..and back ..27 and a bit klicks... :smile:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've stayed off the bike Saturday and Sunday, assuming that with the glorious weather the lanes would be rather busy with people walking and cycling (and probably motorcycling). Today I thought I might risk it though and headed out earlyish. I used the knockabout bike (just because it was convenient) and did the reverse of the route I did last time (Condover, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover & back).

The change in the weather since yesterday was quite notable. It's bright and sunny but cold with a blustery north-easterley wind. Shorts yesterday but back to some of my winter layers today.

I saw a couple of cyclists in the first mile then had to wait 10 miles to see the next one. There were a few people out walking the lanes though. The A49 was the quietest I've seen it so far (4 cars on the short stretch I use) and the A458 was similar.

Despite my route being a bit of a meandering one, for the first 10 miles the wind felt like it was against me regardless of the direction I was facing and it was like hitting the brakes in places. After Harnage though I turned to have it helping and enjoyed flying along on roads where I'd usually plod.

Turning nortthwards again at Longnor I was working into the wind again but it wasn't too bad as the gentle downhill gradient offset it a bit.

In the last three miles I started to see more cyclists coming out, including a couple on a tandem (I don't often see those) giving 17 riders over the trip. Not as many as some of you have been seeing but more than I usually see on my rides locally.

23.5miles at 13.9 mph average

It's the time of year for the vivid colour and the sickly smell as the oilseed rape flowers.

The flag at Cound remains unchanged from last time I was here.

Old jon

Guru
Sort of cloudy this morning, and the unusual sight of back garden leaves waving in the wind. A northeast wind is about the only one that reaches the garden, if it is blowing briskly enough. And the new tyre and tube I fitted to the geared bike yesterday was flat! Take the fixed for a ride, things can only improve.

And so they did. Down the main road to Jack Lane the breeze was in my face. Mind cleared, route decided on, pedal! Of course, decisive thinking rarely lasts long, by the time Holbeck had been left behind a couple of other rides had been thought of. But I turned left to cross the river, then skirted round the town centre to take the road up to Oakwood. Turn left at the clock and some time later reach Street Lane and its junction with Harrogate Road. Turn right.

Once past the school the fields are on both sides of the road, and down the next descent is the left turn to Eccup reservoir. I took that, the road, bridleway methinks, was quiet but there were six or more cyclists, in pairs, at the dam wall and two or three cars as well. One rider replied to my ‘Good morning.’ There is a bit of up and down after this, once Eccup the village was in sight I stopped for food and drink. And a rest. Meant to say admiring the view, the reservoir downhill on my left, mostly green fields to my right and front. And the talkative cyclist, with companion, passed by.

A bit more gazing around, then start again. Almost caught the pair of riders, they went straight on and I turned right to ride through the village. And after that, left to ride to Five Lane Ends where I met up with those two cyclists again. They let me go first, I chose to travel towards Adel, passing by the church on my way to the A660. Usually Headingley is the next call, today I turned right at the Lawnswood roundabout. Nothing particular in mind, usual state, say some. Turned left on Low Lane then followed Oil Mill Beck, well it was at the side of the road, to Abbey Road.

Hmm, just checked again, and the OS map does not help. It is Old Mill Beck north of the Ring Road, Oil Mill Beck after the Bridge Inn. Anyway, the way home is along Abbey Road, which has a few name changes, all the way to and through Leeds centre again for the last few of the twenty three miles that stuck a smile to my mug today.

A map. The camera has been forgot again . . .

13042020.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride , Out early 0630 to attempt to complete 100km without getting too far from home . The plan was to do 2 loops of my 50km Wymeswold loop .Bit chilly first thing so leg and arm warmers were donned to my summer gear. Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Sileby and Seagrave and onto the climb of Berrycott lane a long drag up . A quick descent into Wymeswold then Hoton ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel and back to Cropston were instead of heading home I turned for Swithland to add the missing miles of returning home before rejoining my route in Rothley . Stopped at Swithland church to remove my arm and leg warmers as it was begining to warm up . Rejoined the loop at Rothley the second climb of Berrycott felt a real slog but was no slower than the first ascent according to Strava . As I went through Barrow saw a cycling friend walking back from the shop stopped for a socially distanced chat . Back on the bike and home 62.2 miles so just enough that will do ,done in 3hrs 51mins at 16.1 mph with 2300ft of upness . I did find completing the second loop hard mentally I normally don't do repeated loops . The roads were incredibly quiet first thing but were beginning to get busier with riders ,walkers and a few cars by the time I finished . I was home before it got properly hot :sweat: . Did feel slightly uneasy about being out so long under current circumstances but had virtually no social interaction and certainly didn't become within 2 mts of anyone

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride out the door at 1030 and it's a lot chillier than yesterday :cold: and definitely windier. The plan was just an hour so I going to ride hard . Anstey into Newtown Linford which is still deserted ,may never get use too it looking like this . Took the left turning up Markfield lane 1.25 miles of up hill with a steep start then steady drag . Proper effort up this saw me get a Strava pr on all 3 segments :becool: and took 12 sec of the longest segment and I'm now 54 secs quicker than anyone I follow on Strava including some fast guys so happy with that ^_^. Carried straight on over the roundabout on the A50 a section of road I would not even contemplate riding on but today didn't even see another vehicle as I crossed it . From here it was 3 miles of steady descent to Botcheston all done at over 22mph ^_^ . But from here the climbing begins ,Steady drag in Thornton a quick descent then the climb to the school which was into the headwind making it hard work . Another short 10% ramp past the old quarry . Onto Priory lanes quick downhill then you hit the 15% ramp :surrender:. But the reward is the descent of Polly Botts lane back through Newtown and home 16.8 miles done in 1hr 1 min just about timed it right :laugh:. 1220ft of upness managed to average 16.5 mph the legs are feeling that one . Didn't see that many riders out today maybe the weather put a few off

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cooler today with a north easter blowing. I made rapid progress down through Longdon and Forthampton for the Hams. I even put the chain up onto my big 44 tooth ring. I paused on Ashleworth Ham to check out what was about. One Little Egret, Teal and 2 Mute Swans. Others were impossible to identify due to the strong backlighting. Up on Woolridge the Cotswold scarp showed well and soon after I was turning for Brand Green where the bluebells are in fine form. For a change I went by Pool Hill and Ketford. Then Redmarley pulled at my wheel. Again my wheel got pulled to Eggs Tump. Thereafter I took charge for the usual Castlemorton lanes return. Nice to see another 2 swallows (I forgot to mention the two I saw last Friday) and hear a Garden Warbler sing. 50 smiles

gavgav

Guru
Like most people in the NHS, Easter has been pretty much non existent, for me, so I was glad to get out after a longer working day than I’d hoped, for a short ride in the sun, this evening.

Despite the sun, it was back to being properly cold again, in the keen Easterly wind and so layers were back out of the wardrobe again.

I decided to take the Carbon on the new regular Lockdown route, that I’ve come up with, but with a deviation from Berrington, out onto the A458, for a short stretch, to avoid the rutted, sandy and gravelly section, that I don’t fancy taking this bike on. I’d not even entertain doing this, when things are normal, due to the traffic. I did seem to time it just wrong though, as whilst only having about 150 yards to do, on the main road, 3 cars and 3 cyclists came from the opposite direction, just as I wanted to turn right, but nothing from behind and so I didn’t feel too exposed sat in the middle of the road, waiting to turn off.

Continued back round to Eaton Mascott and up to the Pitchford Fork, really appreciating how much quicker the Carbon bike is, on this section, taking over a minute off the Strava segment time, compared to the previous 4 times I did it over the past 2 weeks, on the heavy Cube.

Turned back towards Shrewsbury, through Cantlop, Betton Abbots and home. Lots of runners about, this evening, a handful of cyclists and a bit more traffic than recent rides.

12.47 miles at 13.7mph avg speed

Mike_P

Guru
Brrrr:cold:, that was generally cold despite long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey (maybe should have picked a thicker one) and bib tights. Hardly surprising then that Easter Mondays cyclists seen could be counted on one hand as all those warm weather only types out yesterday took shelter. Largely did the reverse of Saturdays route, i.e. clockwise, to Markington and back which entails the climb of Scarah Bank. Definitely less fun than the normal less than fun with the north-easterly forming an unwelcome cross head wind head, here approaching the false flat before it rears up with a max of 13.3%.

In complete contrast the 9.2% max climb out of Markington was a delight as the high hedges alongside blocked what would have been a crosswind and the sun came out.
Yesterdays fix of the sticking link in the chain had stopped the chain jumping but a new issue of constant chain noise had replaced it. I had stopped and looked but could not work out what the issue was.
Then south on the A61 with the climb after South Stainley of, what Strava calls, Red Lion Hill (9.5% max) on which I kept a wary eye on a pheasant hoping it would not do a U turn; unfortunately the GoPro has never been good at picking at wildlife clearly.

Deviated from a straight reverse of Saturdays route and turned off to do a previously uncycled lane linking to the far more frequented Nidd-Brearton loop. Aware a vehicle was behind I slowed and pulled as far to the side as practicable and a white van passed flashing its hazard lights as a thank you as it then shot down a farm access. Back on normal territory headed toward Nidd and again slowed to the side to let a vehicle pass. Another white van which then pulled up outside a house a bit further on and a cheery “Thanks” from its driver as I passed. Turning onto the narrow lane back to the A61 I was puzzled by a Jet2.com van passing in the opposite direction and then annoyed by two walkers who stayed side by side meaning a metre pass by:angry:

Regaining the A61 another road cyclist was ahead and the road did have a few vehicles on it so, as I realised I was gaining on him, I slowed to match his pace hoping he would turn off towards Knaresborough, um.. no luck there, maybe he will be daft enough to use the Nidderdale Greenway, no not daft. I pondered what to do , do I try to overtake, what if I do and he is faster on the climb into Killinghall, or what if I do not and he is slower than me on the climb. A bus and a tanker went pass, now definitely not keen on trying to overtake 2m distant and the road was going up grade now. Then problem solved as he stopped, a quick dart out to 2m and then back once pass:okay:
Another fastest time this year to the A59 no doubt assisted by the wind.
16.04 miles @ 13.3mph avg 938ft gained (exactly the same climbing as Saturday).

Put the bike on a prop stand to try to work out what the noise was, could it be the B screw setting , played with that but no resolution, then with the chain stationary flicked the gears up a few cogs and tried to turn the pedals but it all jammed up. It was then the fault realised itself and entirely my fault – when I had put the chain back on I had got it the wrong side of the metal guide between the jockey wheels:blush: Quite how it had not jammed during the ride was just fortunate.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Back on No.1 bike tonight. After a morning of painting the landing, I spent a few minutes repairing the chain by substituting a quick link for the broken link. I usually find that whatever is the third way I try, that will be the correct way to thread a chain. This time I placed No.2 bike immediately behind No. 1 bike while it was on the repair stand, and copied exactly how the chain on No.2 bike looked. Worked a treat.

I set off down the lane to Hardwicke, before completing loops of the housing estates in Tuffley and Kingsway. Bumped into @gordyfinbar a couple of times, coming the other way, and we pulled over on opposite sides of the road for a chat across the street. My Brooks saddle seems to have started creaking again, so I might turn up the tension a little more. The chain also made a slight but constant noise, and skipped across the cassette a couple of times. Having checked that it is not a unidirectional chain, I think the remedy will just be to loosen it up and lubricate it a bit. Must just be a stiff link. I also worked on No.2 bike today, and was able to straighten out the front mech to prevent the chain from rubbing. Unfortunately that means I can no longer shift onto the big ring. I am hopeless with front mechs. Never mind ... at least the bike is useable now.

13.6 miles for me today in shorts and T shirt. Very pleasant again, having the housing estate roads all to myself. According to Gordon, there are signs up in Frampton (my usual bread and butter destination) saying "cyclists not welcome". Hmmmm ......

Stay safe everyone. Cheers, Donger.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still sunny here but much cooler in the wind so back to long sleeves again. A short ride again into Whixall,Alkington, Fenns Bank, Hollinswood, Coton, Quina Brook, Wem where I had to wait for the train to go, Aston with the plan to go to Barkers Green but the lane had a road closed sign on and it was actually closed so turned back to Wem, back over the railway, out to Tilley, Nonely, Loppington, Brown Heath before turning back to Wolverley and back home. Lots of people out walking today even in places I’ve never seen anyone and quite a few family bike rides going on, traffic was probably the same as usual though. 22.7 miles @15.4mph . Lovely in the sun but the wind was cold.
3E8971AE-840B-43E1-944B-DAE486CFFCB0.jpeg

D26C78DF-39B1-4B20-86F8-097023ACE5E2.jpeg

The canal between Alkington and Fenns Bank.

What a difference a day makes to a ride, well actually two. I went out Saturday and flew. It was 20 degrees, gentle 8mph SSE breeze, it was heaven. I even stopped off at the stores in Bacton for some dishwasher salt, 2kg on my back did`nt slow me. I could have ridden forever ! That ride was 23 miles at a 18.2mph average.
Today I did exactly the same ride but on my Claude Butler, only because with the wind gusts it would be more stable, it was. That wind today really took it out of me and was so glad to get back. It felt cold at 7 degrees but felt like 4, the wind was 21 NE gusting 30mph. Average speed 16.4mph. The only good thing that I can say is that there were far less people either walking or on bikes. Still, it was good for the mind.
Keep well folks.

Top Bottom