Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Frosty morning. Got the Thorn out down the estuary track. Been a week and lots more flowers out, even bluebells. Also an impressive number of goldfinches. Definitely cleared my head.

Here are a couple of views near Glasson Dock With an egret for scale on the second one.

gavgav

Guru
The start of 4 much needed days of annual leave, should have been up in Wales, but clearly that’s a no, at the moment, so need to make the most of the sunny days and get out on the bike.

Still quite cool today, less wind though, so 1 layer fewer than yesterday, but still jacket and trousers needed.

Regular current route out of Shrewsbury, through Betton Abbots, where I reeled in another chap cycling and managed to overtake on a safe section, before turning down Lyons Lane, to Condover. Climbed up to Ryton, brief moment with a girl on some three wheeled contraption, that you stand on to move, on wrong side of the road, coming towards me and she moved the same way as me, as I went to widely pass her!

Quite a few people walking and running along the lane, to Longnor and remarkably the first vehicle since Shrewsbury, which was a Van, going far too fast and not giving me any space, prat.

From Longnor I turned North and with what little wind there was, now behind me, had a very pleasurable fast few miles through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop. There were loads of cyclists along this section and all remarkably going slower than me, so I had to hang back on 4 occasions and wait to be able to safely pass at distance. Unfortunately 2 teenage lads made it difficult to do so, on the climb towards Betton, riding 2 abreast and in the middle of the road. Just as I was about to shout at them, a chap came past on an electric bike and bellowed at them to get out of the way and social distance :okay: Good man!

All in I had to overtake 10 cyclists today. It must be the wind, as I’m normally a snail :laugh:

Back home with 19.1 miles on the clock, at 14.0mph avg speed

Chromatic

Legendary Member
First ride since last Friday, went up the Tewkesbury Road from Gloucester heading for Deerhurst, stopped for pic of church then on to Apperley then headed back through Wainlodes, on to the Tewkesbury Road again then back to start point.
Didn't check mileage, traffic busier and fewer cyclists than last Friday.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For today's permitted exercise I wanted some quieter roads so rode over Lyth Hill to Exford's Green, Plealey and Pontesbury then came back via Habberley, Wrentnall, Longden Common, Exfords Green, Hunger Hill and Lyth Hill again.

There were a reasonable number of people walking at Lyth Hill but few vehicles parked so most of them were local enough to have walked there. Over the other side there were plenty of walkers down the lanes and a handful of cyclists too. Plenty of motor vehicles about on the way to Pontesbury. Possibly not quite as many as I'd usually see for the time of day but not far off.

Turning off in Pontesbury and aiming for Habberley it was quieter and more like I'd expected it to be. I passed four cyclists in Habberley and a dog walker who could have moved over to her side of the lane a bit more.:dry:

Approaching Wrentnall the edges of the lane are in a bad state of repair which is more of a challenge in this direction since it's a steep bit of downhill. At the worst point there is only about 2ft width of tarmac.:ohmy:

Just after Wrentnall there is a nice fast flowing bit of road to Longden Common. Unfortunately this section was against the wind so I could have gone a bit quicker. I thought that cutting the corner via Long Lane might be quieter than going through Longden but today there were a couple of walkers with pushchairs and six cars to avoid.:rolleyes:

At Hunger Hill I found the A49 quiet and was tempted to stay on it to get back but decided to err on the side of caution and took the short but steep climb at Little Lyth instead.

17.7 miles at 12.5 mph average. Quite cool to start with but warmed up enough that I could shed a layer about halfway round.

A fabulous sunny day as seen from Lyth Hill. A little on the cool side though.

The double hump of Earl's Hill and Pontesford Hill which I shall be orbiting during the ride.

At Pontesbury.

Between Habberley and Wrentnall. I took this photo for the display of bluebells which looked a lot better in real life.

Looking towards Oaks and Lyth Hill in the distance before descending into Wrentnall.

I'm not a fan of oilseed rape but it does make for some colourful countryside scenes. Taken near Exford's Green.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Following yesterday's post-50-miler comedown (spent exclusively indoors avoiding the cack weather, feeling a bit miserable and binging on an assortment of questionable snack foods) I was anxious to get out again today.

Giving the bike a bit of a birthday in the garden revealed that thankfully the wind had dropped compared to yesterday; but there was still a nip in the air. Nothing that a bit of exertion would't fix and I decided on a gentle tour of a shortish local loop given my slightly achey legs from recent efforts.

I felt a lot better for getting out and decided to attack my "benchmark" hill as I've not bested my PR up it for nearly a year despite being about 6-7kg lighter; illustrating how what little fitness I had has diminished in the interim. Asthma and burning legs meant it wasn't to be; my efforts being naturally capped at around 85% maximum heart rate as I don't think I'd have made it over the top had I pushed myself further. At least my toil was recognised by some welcome words of encouragement as I gasped my way past a bloke walking up the hill :smile:

I carried on past Boar's Hill and down through Bagley Wood; seeing a lot of other cyclists who seemed more friendly than previously - my acknowledgements scoring a reasonable 50%-ish return rate today. I did a little lap round Radley and Kennington before returning the way I'd come through the woods (on the road again) and back down the benchmark Foxcombe Hill..

I think I've only ever gone up it previously so felt just in using gravity to my advantage for a change; convincingly running out of gears and clocking a shade under 40mph at peak. I usually descend gently since it's otherwise an inefficient use of energy, but you've got to smash it now and then haven't you? :tongue:

After that I didn't really feel like going home so instead peeled off southwest through Dry Sandford, Cothill and Marcham. En-route to Kingston Bagpipes I stopped at "Ben Lays Eggs" and scored another half dozen; realising that my two rides around the Easter weekend have both involved impromptu egg hunting ^_^

It's nice to see the chickens roaming around with plenty of space and the eggs are well priced (£5/30 if you can carry them!) so I think I'll pop down there again at some point with a bigger bag and some boxes as the trays of 30 don't sit well on the handlebars..

Crap potato-phone shot - I think the little feathered dinosaurs appreciated the freshly cleaned ride..

Image001.jpg

After the somewhat bemused owner enquired as to my welfare as I was taking the above picture I was on my way again; through the bagpipes and out towards Stanton Harcourt and past Eynsham. I passed through Sutton and Sunday's bikes-for-sale were gone; taken in perhaps or maybe sold - anyone on here have them?

Once past Eynsham I considered tacking on a few more miles but was starting to feel it so headed straight back to the city through Farmoor.

End result was a little under 38 miles at 16.3mph, 1200ft of climbing and a mean HR of 138bpm - quick for me (and at a relatively low HR); I think because I've been experimenting with getting lower at the front.

This has been helped by a loss of 6cm from my waistline since last year (so my belly gets in the way of my legs less) and adding a little forward rake on the saddle, which I think is allowing my pelvis to rotate forward more and take some of the strain off my back when I'm on the drops / hunkered down over the hoods. I'm certainly spending more time lower down at the front and when changing positions in otherwise steady-state conditions the speed gains are certainly tangible :becool:

All in all a nice (again unexpectedly long) ride. Tomorrow really has to be a rest day but I should have things to keep me occupied so hopefully that should fend off the gloom until I'm able to get back in the saddle..

Last edited:
Top Bottom