Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
Beautiful day and a very pleasant 23 miles taking in Heath Common:

2004-Steve-Smith---Heath-Common.jpg

Sadly the Kings Arms, still lit by gas and where I first took a snifter some 50 years ago, was closed in common with thousands of other similar establishments.

strava1862028448727293273.jpg

it was a lovely day here in Windshire by about 3pm it had warmed up to shorts and jersey if you’re pushing it a bit as I did on the way back with a modest but welcome tailwind, I’ve also found a hill climb that has a unique feature in that the bottom section reverses the wind direction, I think this is because it’s a deep cut twisting narrow lane that somehow funnels the wind, perhaps :whistle:

anywhoo if I ride out into the headwind do the assisted climb I get a free ride home, 18 mile loop and very relaxing one at that.

Mike_P

Guru
A more successful days work having resolved the IT issues with the secondary connection to the work systems, not exactly fast though - the phone rang at noon, had I got the email, no - oh hang on its just arrived, timed at 11:15! Still good excuse their for not doing something :whistle:
So work done for the day, short sleeve jersey and bib shorts on and headed off only to make a very quick return, noting how easy the climb home is when its the only climb encountered, as I had still had my normal glasses on not the cycling glasses. So take two, is that allowed..., and off to do the Ripley-Nidd (north end)-Brearton (almost)-Nidd (south end)-Ripley loop. Two things quickly struck me, a lot more cars about and my tweaking of the rear derailleur cable was plainly not a success in terms of the chain staying on some of the cogs. Nevertheless plodded on and surprised myself with an average mph of 13.5mph and for once a well lit unobstructed shot of Low Hall at Killinghall dating back to the 18th century. 13.11 miles, 748ft climbed and yes the climb back home was defiantly harder second time around.

Put the derauilleur cable back as it had been but in the meantime the altered route around the clamp fixing bolt had formed a quite definite curve in the end of the cable which should avoid the issues that arose previously.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Happy days as my replacement Croix De Fer arrived today and I spent the bulk of the day sorting bits out (which will be detailed in a hopelessly long post in due course).

Finally finished messing about at about half six, threw on the caged pedals from my "death's door" road bike and headed out for a gentle float around town since a) the bike is new, b) it's fitted with bars that felt far too long and c) I've done 90 miles over the previous three days and various bits of me are still protesting.

After a day of actual work and concentration after nothing but breakfast I was a bit spaced so took it steady; concluding that on the road the new ride was nice enough, slighty nicer components, a bit more comfortable over the bumps and obviously a bit slower than my road bike; in these respects a purchase of questionable value. I did find the greater reach on the drops and hoods much less of an issue than expected; probably because of their greater height; so that was nice.

A few miles in I had an enquiry from another cyclist who recognised the brand and wanted one himself (a Day One as it happens - hello if you're a member on here!). We chatted for a bit as we rode at sensible distance before going our separate ways. Maybe just a fluke but kind of attests to the somewhat cult following these bikes seem to generate - by contrast my lowly Boardman has had zero attention from others in 18 months and 1600 miles :sad:

I elected to ride to Wolvercote and back across Port Meadow. Passing Jacob's Inn I noticed they were doing take away, so knowing the emptyness of my stomach was rivalled only by that of my fridge I stopped for a burger. A good chat with some decent blokes later my dinner was served, crammed into my rucksack and I was on my way.

A few minutes later I was on Port Meadow; in this case representing probably a couple of miles of open, hard-packed dirt paths on grass that run alongside the river. As soon as I was off the road the bike really came alive; evoking all the attributes of a road bike that it couldn't quite match on the road, while effortlessly chewing up the uneven terrain. By MTB standards the surface was tame, certainly - but riding it would have been a very unpleasant and nervous experience on a road bike.

Before long I'd forgotten the aching bits, was out of the saddle and thoroughly engaged in weaving the bike around the dodgy patches to find the most agreeable line; rising and falling over the undulations and occasionally smashing it over rough spots just because the big rims and tyres glided over them with such ease.

For anyone with XC MTB or "gravel" experience this would all be familiar; and while it was precisely this sort of use I bought the bike for, it was still an absolute revelation to experience such speed and control on a surface that would be not impossible but certainly both sketchy and uncomfortable to say the least on a road bike.

A grin on my face and a fine coating of dust on the bike, I arrived home and tucked into my burger; which was very pleasant and came with bonus chips :smile:.

Need to get a few more things done on the new bike tomorrow, then I'm very much looking forward to taking it out on a longer ride; as long as my thrashed body doesn't veto the idea :tongue:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'll just add to the chorus of 'a lovely day here' but note that there's still a chill in the air from the light winds off the North Sea. Another day of working from home, but I decided to make it a mobile office because the view's much better
Hyems Lane view.JPG

Another 50km added to the week's total completed on a compact mixed on and off road ride on the Bootzipper using a combination of local roads, lanes & bridleways around Trimley, Walton, Felixstowe, Falkenham, Kirton & Bucklesham. This was completed within a 5 mile radius of home which, as noted on the half century chatzone, is quite good considering how limited I am by the North Sea, and rivers Orwell & Deben
Screenshot_2020-04-15 Afternoon Ride Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-04-15 Afternoon Ride Ride Strava(1).png
Screenshot_2020-04-15 Draw a circle with a radius on a map.png

Mr Celine

Discordian
It looked almost like summer today and as I'm officially on leave rather than pretending to work from home what could be better than having a proper holiday and heading south to a foreign country?

Unfortunately having spent a lot of energy getting there the view looked rather better in the other direction-

Until I spotted the Eildon Hills on the horizon midway between the flagpole and the roadsign. Living near a good landmark is all very well unless it appears tiny due to being rather far away. At least it's downhill to start with.
I stopped just before Jedburgh at the Capon Tree which is barely noticeable from a car. It's a remnant of the ancient Jedforest, from when it was a forest rather than a rugby team.

A quick stop in Jed for a pic of the Abbey, looking resplendent in the sunshine and completely free of tourists.

And one last photo stop, just past Lilliardsedge from where the Eildons now look within a more reasonable distance...

Which is just as well as I was knackered and almost out of juice.
In ordinary times I wouldn't recommend this route (the A68) unless at 5:00 on a June morning but with the weird almost empty roads I only had one incident of note. Pandemic or no pandemic, timber lorries are usually driven by psychos and that empty wagon has to overtake NOW.

Today's map -

1586991494366.png

54 miles @ 16.1 mph, 956m up and down.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Down to Yealmpton and through the lanes up to Westlake. I stopped at the top watching and listening to larks ascending. Down to Ermington and over Penquit.

I then took the pine ridge road, then headed across the A379 to Ringmore. There are some good hills here.... steep, long and narrow.
I saw some Wensleydale sheep (I think....) a long way from home.

I stopped at Holywell stores for a drink and a pasty before heading into Modbury. Then it was the coast road and Membland hill. A were nice, but blustery ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3306383565/

gavgav

Guru
Made the most of the last of the Sunny days, on my few days off work, with a slightly longer ride. Perfect conditions, for cycling, not too warm and not too cold, a little breezier than yesterday, but nothing much really.

Out through Betton Abbots and then along Lyons Lane, to Condover, before the steady climb to Ryton and Dorrington. Crossed the A49 with ease and then took the road out past my old Primary School and then along the lane, that brings you out on the A49 again. This lane is in a horrific condition, multiple massive potholes, copious gravel and virtually no tarmac in places. Not good on thin tyres and won’t be using it again!

Short downhill section on the A49, where all of the traffic was coming the opposite way, then through Stapleton and a route I’ve not done in many years, the long climb up to Pulverbatch. This is the road I used to cycle on, as a child, having grown up in Stapleton, so it brought back a few memories. It climbs 400ft in 3 miles and so it’s a decent workout.

The descent through Longden and Longden Common, is great, with the wind behind me helping, as well, but the road surface is not the best and you have to have your wits about you at times.

Continued on through Annscroft, Hook-a-Gate and Meole Brace. I decided to take the main road back home, instead of going through the village and that was a mistake, as there are roadworks going on. Had to wait at the traffic lights, for a couple of minutes, but then stayed on the road around the main roundabout and some fool didn’t like that, shouting some incomprehensible abuse out of the window of his car. I just shouted back as to whether he was on an “essential journey” and he sped off towards Reabrook. The answer was probably no.

A most enjoyable 20.9 miles at 13.3mph avg

Another shakedown, this time on the Trek 800 Sport mtb. Just a quick loop: north on A386 to Pitts Cleave, up the ramp onto NCN27, follow across to NCN270 and across the football club to Morrisons, then back onto the A386 into town and home.
6.42 miles, other bits missing due to MMR recording error.
The Altus RD-M310 performed flawlessly, as smooth a shifter as I have ever shifted. Much nicer than the Alivio RD-M410 on the Scott...
Just goes to show, the label and model means not a lot.
The brakes! When I switch from Trek to Scott, I marvel at how fast and light it is! When I switch back, I realise that by comparison, the Scott hasn't got any brakes...:eek:
A set of Koolstop Salmons is in my near future, and when they are worn out, a new wheelset.

footloose crow

Über Member
16 April. A trip to the seaside

Wrestling with your conscience is a fools game. You never win. So many cycle chatters on this forum are limiting themselves to short circuits near to home and I don't want to do that even though my conscience says I must. I advance the argument that the lanes are deserted, I rarely even see another cyclist and that I have already fallen off my step ladder twice doing DIY. Plus some cuts and burns. Cycling feels safer than being at home where I get bored too easily and start projects beyond my capability, then have to phone my father in law for advice. He was a master craftsman and builder and my wife feels all men should have the same skills as her father. I think all daughters feel that way about their fathers. I am a disappointment to her. My brother is the same as me and has started his own craft guild- he calls it the Order of the Black Thumb.

Today I wanted to get to see the north coast and plotted a route that seemed flat enough on the map but turned out to have more wrinkles, steep ramps and drops than I imagined. The sun was warm on my back though and all the way to Crantock I felt like a cycling God hitting 20 or 25mph or even more in places, gaining Top 10 places on Strava segments and wondering how I managed to improve so fast.

What goes down must inevitably go up .....

Crantock was lovely if quiet. The Bowgie Inn would normally be packed on a day like today. It has sweeping views across the bay. The sea was reflecting back the blueness of sky, turning turquoise near to shore, green where the light caught the rising waves. The car park was closed down, the Inn empty of life but the surf was amazing. Just four guys out in over head high, long period surf. Clean, green Atlantic swells rolling in every fifteen seconds. Waves for locals. No lifeguards on duty and a fierce rip running along the far side of the beach.

Leaving Crantock I discovered my godlike power had left me. I was having to push down hard even to go downhill and into the large cogs for the 2% slope that followed. The wind. I had not felt it coming here but it had felt me, pushing me along like electricity for my legs. Returning it was now an animate force, playing with me, jumping out of the gaps in the hedgerows to knock me over, blowing hardest on the steepest slopes. The return trip was on new (to me) lanes. I kept hoping for downhills but seemed only to be going up. Resolutely into the face of the wind. There is nothing to do but be philosophical. It is good resistance training.

The last few miles the hedges were higher and the lanes more sunken and the wind lost me, found me for a while then lost me. I made progress. Home came nearer. More walkers on the lanes and then a dilemma. A cyclist in front of me and I am catching up . I try to stay 20 metres behind but he keeps slowing. I can't overtake. The lane is narrow, bends, twists up and down and there are families and prams and small children on bikes. I stop and wait for as long as I can manage and then catch him up again. He stops. I see my opportunity. If anyone reading this was on that lane today, I apologise for roaring past, breath held so I couldn't say anything or take a hand of the bars to wave. Apologies. I am still learning the etiquette for cycling in the plague and I normally never see anyone else.

So another 50k ride. It seems like the right distance for me, but maybe not right for everyone. I guess we all have to make our own choices based on a risk assessment. I know I am safer on a bike than with a power tool in my hand.

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 21.14.22.png

Top Bottom