Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
16 April. A trip to the seaside

Wrestling with your conscience is a fools game. You never win. So many cycle chatters on this forum are limiting themselves to short circuits near to home and I don't want to do that even though my conscience says I must. I advance the argument that the lanes are deserted, I rarely even see another cyclist and that I have already fallen off my step ladder twice doing DIY. Plus some cuts and burns. Cycling feels safer than being at home where I get bored too easily and start projects beyond my capability, then have to phone my father in law for advice. He was a master craftsman and builder and my wife feels all men should have the same skills as her father. I think all daughters feel that way about their fathers. I am a disappointment to her. My brother is the same as me and has started his own craft guild- he calls it the Order of the Black Thumb.

Today I wanted to get to see the north coast and plotted a route that seemed flat enough on the map but turned out to have more wrinkles, steep ramps and drops than I imagined. The sun was warm on my back though and all the way to Crantock I felt like a cycling God hitting 20 or 25mph or even more in places, gaining Top 10 places on Strava segments and wondering how I managed to improve so fast.

View attachment 515567
What goes down must inevitably go up .....

Crantock was lovely if quiet. The Bowgie Inn would normally be packed on a day like today. It has sweeping views across the bay. The sea was reflecting back the blueness of sky, turning turquoise near to shore, green where the light caught the rising waves. The car park was closed down, the Inn empty of life but the surf was amazing. Just four guys out in over head high, long period surf. Clean, green Atlantic swells rolling in every fifteen seconds. Waves for locals. No lifeguards on duty and a fierce rip running along the far side of the beach.

View attachment 515568

Leaving Crantock I discovered my godlike power had left me. I was having to push down hard even to go downhill and into the large cogs for the 2% slope that followed. The wind. I had not felt it coming here but it had felt me, pushing me along like electricity for my legs. Returning it was now an animate force, playing with me, jumping out of the gaps in the hedgerows to knock me over, blowing hardest on the steepest slopes. The return trip was on new (to me) lanes. I kept hoping for downhills but seemed only to be going up. Resolutely into the face of the wind. There is nothing to do but be philosophical. It is good resistance training.

The last few miles the hedges were higher and the lanes more sunken and the wind lost me, found me for a while then lost me. I made progress. Home came nearer. More walkers on the lanes and then a dilemma. A cyclist in front of me and I am catching up . I try to stay 20 metres behind but he keeps slowing. I can't overtake. The lane is narrow, bends, twists up and down and there are families and prams and small children on bikes. I stop and wait for as long as I can manage and then catch him up again. He stops. I see my opportunity. If anyone reading this was on that lane today, I apologise for roaring past, breath held so I couldn't say anything or take a hand of the bars to wave. Apologies. I am still learning the etiquette for cycling in the plague and I normally never see anyone else.

So another 50k ride. It seems like the right distance for me, but maybe not right for everyone. I guess we all have to make our own choices based on a risk assessment. I know I am safer on a bike than with a power tool in my hand.

View attachment 515596
Spent many an evening eating and drinking on the decking of the Bowgie ,stunning views . I stay at Holywell bay when I come down

Mike_P

Guru
As I dragged the Defy out of the bike shed sometime around 4.20 this afternoon I did wonder whether a thin long sleeve jersey and bib knickers was over doing it but nevertheless set off to do an anti-clockwise loop across Swinsty Reservoir necessitating first tackling the Oaker Banks

Turning onto Penny Pot the rear derailleur failed to change to a smaller cog, the what now moment was quickly changed to an Oh! The lever hood had slipped forward so preventing the mechanism from working; clearly something to replace as it stayed loose. The westbound ride along Penny Pot was one of the faster which did not pose well for the return but first down to crossing over the reservoir

which is then followed by the 12.6% max two-fifths mile long climb of Smithsons Lane. At the top looking north even the lambs were more interested in the grass rather than their surroundings. Always seems to me lambs are quite curious initially until zonked by the grass consumption.

Heading east on Penny Pot was initially straight into the headwind and the choice of kit was defiantly spot on. 15.67 miles @ 13mph avg. 1125ft climbed

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Last day of Annual Leave and so out for a lunchtime short ride. Cooler than yesterday and a blustery Easterly, which I was straight into, but then once I’d turned towards Betton Abbots, was mainly at the side of me, for the remainder of the South/North route.

Down the lane to Berrington, then out to the A458, which was completely traffic free, for the short time I was on it. Had the wind behind me, up to Pitchford Fork, then back through Cantlop, Betton and home.

Much quieter out there today, less traffic, 3 cyclists and 1 runner, which made it much easier to socially distance, than for much of this week.

12.5 miles at 13.6mph avg

Old jon

Guru
Early start this morning, so the chill in the air was expected. Little if any breeze, so it seemed right to take the fixed out for a pedal around some of the flatter bits of local country.

Riding through Hunslet before eight o’ clock there were a lot of folk just on their way into work. Not as many as former days, but I guess most of the jobs there still cannot be done at home. Steeper’s is still there, making prosthetics is not something that can be done easily in the average kitchen. Anyway, the climb to John o’ Gaunts was quiet, left turn to Woodlesford and another left to cross canal and river. On the rise through Swillington it became obvious that there was a wind half helping me, it was the half that was not helping that was obvious really.

Drop down to Garforth, yes, I took note of Hook Moor and its wind turbines, and turn right at the roundabout. There is a bit of uphill before Peckfield Bar is reached, straight on to the next roundabout and turn left to Micklefield. Very quiet here, so much so that I could hear the train, I guess from London, long before it crossed the bridge over Main Street. Another Main Street that was once the A1. Keep pedalling, eventually the B1217 is reached and the right turn towards Lotherton Hall where I turned left for the up and down to Aberford. Where I turned left again onto Cattle Lane.

Before reaching Barwick there were 5 or 6 cyclists (individuals or pairs) going the other way, about the busiest couple of miles in the ride. Scholes next, four separate riders through there, and then the stretch of A64 to Thorner Lane. Skeltons Lane, and the wind was giving a serious helping push along here all the way to the A58 and the left turn for the steepest descent of the ride. It is always good to see the Oakwood Clock, and then ride the three ‘R’s ( Roundhay Road, Roseville Road and Regent Street, six of them really) to the edge of town. Back across the river and home. Thirty two miles, 1700 feet of up and a wind that increased as the ride went on, made the last few miles almost speedy, and gave me something more to smile at.

Wheeltracks . . .

17042020.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
had to drop my prescription of at the Drs ... so thought as i was going to be out i might as well do a loop and come back the scenic route :whistle: . was bloody cold wind and almost altered my plans, but stuck with it and by the time i got into Sedgefield the sun appeared and it warmed up nicely. the route along the Wynyard old railway line had more people about than the last time is was here ^_^
though you would not think so in the pics...:laugh::laugh: 30 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3311670860

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another quick spin around my Cross Houses, Harnage, Acton Burnell, Condover loop using the Raleigh.

It was quite blustery out and, being an easterly wind, was against me to start with. It was very busy on the A49 - almost as though things were back to normal - and I had to wait for a gap to get out onto it. It was a contrast when I got onto the minor roads though and the main obstacle was people out walking.

That buffeting headwind continued on the way to Berrington and Cross Houses and made me glad to have picked this bike today rather than the slower and heavier Hawk. I didn't find the A458 quite as quiet as @gavgav did, but much better than the A49 had been.

I mostly had a crosswind as I made my way to Cound and Harnage. I moved over to let a tractor & trailer through near Cound Stank and was glad I did as it went past about as fast as a tractor can - a bit intimidating when the rig is nearly as wide as the lane. The flag of Denmark was the drapeau de jour at Cound.

After Harnage I encountered another tractor and trailer but this time I was faster as it was an older machine and I had the wind directly behind me. I'd just resigned myself to having to follow at their speed when the driver pulled over and let me through, which was nice.

To Acton Burnell, Frodesley and Longnor was pretty uneventful but the wind direction was reasonably favourable so I got along well. Approaching Condover I saw another tractor and trailer pulling out of a field ahead. I slowed as I came up behind them then got a surprise when the brakes slammed on and it started reversing up the road towards me.:ohmy: They did stop (I suppose to go back and close the gate) but had me wondering if I was going to have to jump onto the verge.

The last bit was nicely quick up to the A49 which was still a bit busy.

23.6 miles at 15.4 mph average. Just two cyclists seen while I was out round the lanes and a couple more when I was almost home.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A filthy afternoon, but I needed some milk, the only bike that hasn't been cleaned during the lock down so far is the MTB, so I took that over the back fields to the farm shop to get a couple of bottles instead of risking going to the supermarkets.

Just 3.20 miles, I got bloody soaked and I had to wait outside the shop in the rain until someone came out.

Have a map.

colly

Re member eR
A ride out to see a pal today. A bit of a mercy dash in some ways. My mate has been self isolating for over a month now. He lives alone, and has no family closer than 70 miles and neighbours that might say hello now and again, if they are in a good mood. Unfortunately for him he is most definitely 'at risk', with diabetes, melanoma, and a heart op pending but put off due to the present problems. He began staying away from people about 10 days before it became policy, so he's probably going stir crazy.
Long story short I was speaking on the phone yesterday and he is worried about his food stocks. he uses the delivery services of local supermarkets but the delivery times are so extended he's worried about running out of food.
Now Mrs Colly and I do drop in the occasional meal for him when we have maybe made too much so I had a scour of the freezer and hoiked out a frozen curry or two and other meals I stuffed them into the bag on the beam rack and set off for parts north west.

Well it was a cold day but sunny. So shorts but a top as well. Off just before 11am and it was with a brisk tail wind.:okay: Across the park and I turned north onto Harrogate Road at Moortown. The main A61 I would normally avoid but in these odd times it was quiet so stayed with it through Alwoodley, past the grammar school and out to Harewood. At the bottom of Harewood Bank I carried straight on to Arthington and Pool-in-Wharfedale.
At Pool it was a left towards Otley. With the wind at my back I was making good time and after a righthand in the centre of Otley it was across the river and uphill past the Old Wharfedale Hospital.
I got to my mates in just under an hour and after doing the deliveries we both sat in his garden masked up 3 metres apart chatting. We sat for maybe 90 mins until I had to get off.
Coming back by a different route I came past Leathley and crossed over The Wharfe again at Pool. Instead of Arthington Lane I opted to brave Pool Bank. It's around a mile and a quarter with an average gradient of about 7.4% ( max 10.9% ish) I've not been up here in a while mainly due to the amount of traffic you have to share the road but it isn't so bad at the moment.
Bramhope next, then up past the quarry on King Lane, around the reservoir and back home via Moortown.

All in it 33.2 miles and 2000ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/47310718

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Approaching Condover I saw another tractor and trailer pulling out of a field ahead. I slowed as I came up behind them then got a surprise when the brakes slammed on and it started reversing up the road towards me.:ohmy: They did stop (I suppose to go back and close the gate) but had me wondering if I was going to have to jump onto the verge.
I certainly know that feeling, Phil. I went out yesterday and sped around a bend on a narrow lane to find a combine harvester heading straight at me at full throttle!:eek: I actually did steer into a hedge as it was taking up the whole width of the road! Even when leaning into the hedge, I only had about a foot to spare. That was my only moment that was anything but mundane, though. 17.1 uneventful miles, 0.1 very eventful mile.
Donger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I certainly know that feeling, Phil. I went out yesterday and sped around a bend on a narrow lane to find a combine harvester heading straight at me at full throttle!:eek: I actually did steer into a hedge as it was taking up the whole width of the road! Even when leaning into the hedge, I only had about a foot to spare. That was my only moment that was anything but mundane, though. 17.1 uneventful miles, 0.1 very eventful mile.
Donger.
Yes, the joys of rural riding. I'll still take the odd surprise like that over the perils of multi-lane urban highways though.^_^

Today was what I could call an "oily ride", yes, a 3in1. Firstly it was to collect some eggs at my text and collect farm. Secondly it was to drop off Mrs S`s prescription at the doctors and thirdly it was daily exercise. The oily part was a result of my lubrication of the new brake cable I fitted this morning and running down the lever.
Dropping the prescription off was the hardest part of the ride because the box to slip it into, is right by the outside door and intercom and there were a lot waiting outside. Luckily a medic came out in gown and face mask with somebody`s pills and he kindly took it off me.
The route took advantage of the Easterly wind which had a nip in it despite the bright sunshine. Once I had turned the corner past Stowupland I had the tailwind to Haughley and then on via Shelland and Borley Green and turning down towards Rattlesden and the lovely hill with gravel at the bottom, glad the brakes are up to spec. I came back into Stowmarket via Onehouse Road and Violet Hill ( for the health centre). At the bottom of Violet Hill I had to wait as there was so much traffic just like normal times. I am sure there are people out and about who should`nt be but who am I to judge.
A good ride of 22.2 miles at 16.6 mph in shorts, a base layer and short sleeve top. Maybe tomorrow I will rest as I have just done three days in a row and don`t want to overdo things, my inner thigh is telling me that, not sure why.

Mike_P

Guru
Back to bib tights and a baselayer under a long sleeve jersey late this afternoon due to home working later than normal to compensate for time out for an “essentials shopping” trip to the still far too many empty shelves in Sainsburys:sad: Decided to avoid using any part of the A59 outbound so a novel experience for the Defy as I headed north on the A61 pass, rather than to, Chevin Cycles,

continuing to the climb towards Killinghall where I turned off along Grainbeck Lane,

to regain my normal route onto Ripley. Rather than taking the turning to Nidd I carried on further along the A61 to approach Nidd from the north. Between the northern and southern ends of the village is a wide swathe of agricultural / open land through which the access to Nidd Hall (a hotel nowadays) passes crossing the sunken public highway on this bridge.

West to Ripley was the only part of the ride where the easterly acted as a useful tailwind.
11.78 miles @ 13.4mph avg 699ft climbed.

Top Bottom