Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A quick 8ish miles cobweb blower / GoPro test ride today, I was going to go a bit further but the wind had kicked up, I feckin hate riding in the wind, but still it was a nice day, warm sunny dry and the wind pushed my up the last hill for a change. I took the Trek Domane today, if you're interested.
I didn't up load any footage 'cos it was reeeeaaaalllly booooring.

@DCBassman nice looking bike, what is it?

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just under 20 miles this afternoon. Struggled on the way back as it was all into the wind. Another enjoyable ride though, despite thick swarms of flies everywhere. One suicidal little hare sprinted across my front wheel near Epney. Missed him by inches ...... or a hare's breadth, you might say.
Stay safe everyone. Cheers, Donger.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
After pretty comprehensively breaking myself on Saturday I had a proper day off yesterday, with lots of snack foods and Netflix in bed...

This morning I felt a reasonable amount better and with the weather being at least not-wet decided on a little pootle; partially because I wanted to explore the effect of a bit more air in my new fat slick tyres.

I headed west, but instead of the usual roads cut straight through fields on a couple of tracks out the back of suburbia; as is now a viable proposition on the new bike! I tackled a small but terrifying-by-my-road-standards steepish, rocky descent on one part of the path which was a lot less unpleasant than last time. Unsure why this was; perhaps I was more relaxed, maybe it was the tyres.. the bike feeling perfectly capable on the roughish surfaces that would have been no fun on a road bike and reinforcing my conviction in the purchase.

Once I'd hit road again at Wootton I carried on towards Abingdon before hanging a left and crawling up my benchmark Foxcombe hill; the wind in my face so PRs off the menu and I just spun my way to the top in one of the CdF's delightfully low gears; managing IIRC around 7mph at less than 80% of max HR up the 7-9% slope. Probably not great for some but a novelty for me :smile:

Heading back down towards the city I passed an inviting entrance to Bagley wood so doubled back and went for a nosey. The track started off as manageable hard-packed mud but got a bit mucky at times; traction often aided by the large amount of fallen plant matter no doubt brought down from the trees by the recent winds.

The last time I visited this wood it was a bit of a disaster as I had little idea of the capabilities of myself or the bike. This time I was a bit more educated and confident, while the fine file-treaded Contis really impressed me with their grip (which I think was aided by the higher tyre pressure). Granted I wasn't slinging the bike around (more gingerly picking my way around obstacles like an unconfident child on their first bike) but the rubber was predictable and gripped a lot better under acceleration, climbing and braking than I'd expected, with very few instances of lost traction.

The now nicely bedded 105 hydro disc brakes provided sublime control and feedback which doubtless helped, dragging the rear brake on decents over a wide range of surfaces again confirming the presence of a lot more grip than I'd expected and plenty of control to subtly back off slightly if the tyre started to lock while skipping over bumps. Other than a bit of light juddering at the front when coming to a complete stop I'm really impressed with the brakes; their strength as others have said being not their outright stopping ability but the amount of fine control they afford.

I continued to razz around for a bit on the wider gritted roads and hard-packed paths, resisting the urge to get out of my depth on the overgrown and somewhat technical single tracks as I did last time.

A pic from when I'd stopped to put some more air in the rear tyre as I really think I'd been running it too low previously. Note my no-expense-spared custom chainstay protector (innertube and masking tape), after I found some chips from chainslap on its underside..

Image008.jpg

I eventually found myself at the bridge over the A34 that leads to the Kennington-side of the wood. The bike was hoiked over the now depressingly almost-normally-busy road and I continued to follow the woodland path, occasionally having to dismount for particularly muddy or steep bits.

I found myself in a newly-discovered park before emerging on the Radley road, continuing through Radley and on to Abingdon past Radly lakes / along the cycle path, through the park and out onto the road towards Clifton Hampden.

I quickly found another footpath; initially appealing in its generous width and decent surface. This inevitably petered out to some rough-ish and fairly unpleasant hard-pack through grassed fields by the river (nice scenery, crap surface), before I was forced to cut away from the river and ascend a sizeable hill on a gravel path (again tyres doing very well) past what appeared to be a motocross track.

I emerged next the the Culham research centre before doubling back down a farm track that cut through fantastic scenery to bring me out in Clifton Hampden; the experience being marred somewhat by my complaining quads in the face of the merciless headwind.

I popped out on the road again and followed the tarmac to Chiselhampton; the headwind still nasty but the uncomplex and smooth tarmac a welcome change. I hung a left at Stadhampton before continuing on through Blackbird Leys and down the Iffley Rd, where I stopped for chips (needing to break a tenner for tomorrow's egg purchase). Even got the eye from a passing hottie while I was waiting outside for my dinner to be cooked, which was a novelty :tongue:

reinvigorated for a bit of a rest, the thought of hot, crispy carbs and some cracking drum and bass in my ears I made quick progress through town, although declined to try and beat my recent favourite Strava PR through the centre; which was fortuitous as it would only have been ruined by new temp. traffic lights in any case.

Eventually I ended up heading west again which put the wind at my back, so I got down on the hoods like Superman and gave it some stick.. not an all-out effort as my legs still wern't up to that, but a good zone 4 cruise for a 2nd-place PR down the Botley Rd. During this time I slowly reeled in and passed a female cyclist on a hybrid who must have been putting out a fair bit of power considering how upright she was!

While I evidently overcooked it again a bit today it was a great ride; I felt a lot more comfortable in the woods / off the road, more confident in my own abilities and those of the bike while being very impressed by the performance of the tyres in this environment, as well as their decent rolling resistance and improved cornering on the tarmac thanks to their now higher pressure.

I saw a decent amount of wildlife and really enjoyed the peace of the woods (road noise notwithstanding) - reminding myself that rural scenes I was envying a month ago in other CC members' contributions to this thread, I was now enjoying myself thanks to the new bike :smile:

While I don't forsee a week of epic miles today kicked this week off in decent style with a little under 35 miles at 12.7mph, 1300ft of elevation and 130bpm mean HR. The heart rate is getting close to what I might achieve on a higher-intensity run on the road bike, and while the speed is a fair bit slower I don't think it's terrible considering the amount of time spent gingerly picking my way through woodland paths :smile:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The showers stopped in time for a post homework ride on the Defy which had not looked too tempting a couple of hours earlier. Another quickly changing sky and colder so bib tights and long sleeve jersey with top baselayer today. Headed on the normal lockdown route to Hampsthwaite by which time I had decided to head up the eastern Clint Bank. Plainly more traffic about including a rare occurrence of having to wait for vehicles to clear the single carriageway river bridge. Once up the climb on the level section before joining the continuation of the western Clint Bank a glance across the landscape showed the wind turbines at Knabbs Ridge clearly not agreeing with forecasted south-easterly and facing more south-west. Back on the continuing climb I was once again hindered by a mountain biker before on this occasion making a socially distanced overtake. Turned east onto the B6165 at Burnt Yates Crossroads dominated by a forlorn building from times past,

and then down Whipley Bank and safely pass last week chain breakage location before repeating yesterdays route through Nidd; this time with two pheasants not socially distancing flapping up onto the wall alongside the sunken carriageway. This was in advance of what I expected to be a headwind battle homewards, but no it transpired to a rare ride which was the complete opposite of all too common constant headwind in every direction. 13.92 miles @ 13mph avg 974ft climbed in sort of nearly a mirror image of yesterdays ride profile

Post ride another outing for the hair spray as the new hood cover needed a touch more pushing properly into place.

Bike selected; CGR (as I had planned for bridleways)
Weather; sunny, some cloud,cool, dry, breezy
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

I'm just going to add a few pictures & Geograph links for my 'allowed exercise' ride today

I took a few other interesting.... well to me anyway..... images
Nine of which start here if anyone is interested???
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...her-interesting-geographs.215788/post-5983152

Electric Theatre
Brackenhill
Ackworth
A638 Doncaster Road
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4099643

WhiteGate Lane
Bridleway
From East Hardwick (A639 Barnsdale Road) to Low Ackworth (Rigg Lane)
Looking north, from the junction with Rigg Lane; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3665007

Boundary Stone
Looking down Ackworth Bridge Lane, to Kingfisher Bridge (aka Burnhill Bridge) - from Rigg Lane; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/244599
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4401602

Bridleway
From Thorpe Lane
Between Thorpe Audlin & Badsworth
(Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, is to my left)
Upton Water Tower can be seen
The bridleway is along the strip of uncultivated grass; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1225967

West Riding Signpost (one of a few in that area)
Barnsdale Road A639)
East Hardwick
Pointing onto Rigg Lane
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6038650

Last edited:

wafter

Today should probably have been a rest day but I was getting dangerously low on eggs having already put off a collection yesterday.

I made an effor to get out "early" (left the house at 11:00 :whistle:), so skipped breakfast and braved the disconcerting wind outside to make my way to my preferred purveyor of poultry products; complete with five empty egg boxes stacked in my rucksack.

I headed out west through Cumnor - stopping to level out the saddle which I think has made it feel a bit better and alleviate to an extent the feeling that it's too far forward. Onward through Eaton, Appleton and Frilford to reach the egg-monger... The wind was fairly brutal; mostly from behind me on the way out but gusty and with a fair lateral component which caught me off guard a few times when passing gaps in the hedge etc.

I was a bit disappointed to find fewer "first quality" eggs than the 30 I required, so made do by topping up the quanitity with seconds - paying a bit over the odds as a result but they were still a lot cheaper than if sourcing smaller quantities from shops.

Mission accomplished I decided to continue in a bit of a loop as (wind notwithstanding) it was such a nice day and my legs didn't feel too battered. I headed straight into the wind to Abingdon, round the outskirts and back home through Kennington and the city. En-route to Abingdon I got passed by a friendly roadie (they do exist!) who waved; the sense of solidarity in my head compounded by the fact that he was also riding a Genesis of some description. I encountered him again coming the other way as I passed through Abingdon, so took the opportunity to return the wave :smile:

Thanks to a combination of tiredness, wind and desire not to overcook things in the hope of another ride tomorrow, I managed to keep my exertion low and completed the vast majority of the 26-ish miles in HR zone 2 / at an average of 122bpm and 13.4mph. :smile:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
On this day last year I was living the dream and completing one of the greatest rides of my life, taking in two mountains, loads of coastline, a small ferry, a castle and the Skye Road Bridge. Today's flat 21 mile loop around the lanes to the South of Gloucester was considerably more mundane. Lovely weather, though, and that brought up exactly 100 miles in the first 5 days of this month. I'd still rather be on Skye though.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
Early finish day from work and so out for a slightly longer evening ride, in lovely sunshine, but a keen and cool Easterly Wind, which was more than evident as I cycled straight into it, leaving the estate. One of those days when getting the right clothing was difficult, as I went for trousers and jacket, which were needed into the wind, but a bit too warm when sheltered.

Out through Betton Abbots and then along Lyons Lane, to Condover, up to Ryton and Longnor, with the wind mostly behind or at the side of me, which was nice.

Turned North and then East from Longnor, which was a different proposition, into the wind and made it hard going to Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford, before turning West and having the wind mostly behind me to Cantlop.

Back down to Betton Abbots and then a fast last 1/2 mile home, with the wind directly behind me, overtaking 2 cyclists (ok 1 was about 10 yrs old 😆)

Lots of cyclists about today, a few walkers and quite a few cars, but very pleasant 19.1 miles at 13.6mph avg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I cycled into Reading via Streatley, Pangbourne and Tilehurst. The plan was to collect a mini- bus put the bike inside take the bus to be serviced and then cycle home from Theale which is where I would leave the bus. I did this but after lot of faff that included the bus not starting and waiting 3 hours for the feckin battery to charge up. My task was eventually completed 3 hours later than originally planned and I cycled back from Theale much later than I wanted. Oh well. A total of 37.46 miles today, the longest ride of the year so far.

A mercifully short video from front and rear GoPro cameras to show how quiet the roads are here and how nice the county side is.

Video

On Sunday I went exploring in my new territory, or at least the bits at aren't hilly. The numbers are for the photographs, on the basis this is an unfaniliar map for most members, so it may be if interest to know where they are. The things I do for you, honestly:

Notice very flat gradient profile. Some call that laziness, I call it excellent planning...

Anyway, it turns out that although you can't see them, the wide open spaces are only a minute from my front door (Pic 1):

2020_05_03_Teningen_Endringen_Riegel_02.JPG

Open fields, a flying insect; and rather more excitingly, the Black forest in the distance (pic 2). I think my camera got excited about it too, which is why it focused on them and not on the bike. I've looked in Wikipedia to see why this valley is like it is, and rather with I hadn't as it turns out it's a rift valley and still seismically active. Whoopee...

Picture 3: My bike in front of a rather straight river. Germans organise everything...

I was able to follow the cycleway forseveral kilometres: being a warm sunny Sunday it was full of families out on bikes. I want to find the route to Breisach, which is on the river Rhine and the French border: I've visited there before some years ago but in an act of immense foolishness didn't bring my bike. I know, what was I thinking...

Anyway, I'm hoping to make up for this now I'm back, and to this end I aimed for the station at Nimburg , where the cycleway to Breisach goes south. As I was being disciplined this time I was heading North for a short 1 hour ride. I'd been here before too: a somewhat run down one platform stop on a tiny branch line...

Oh...

That's changed a bit. (Pic 4)

I followed the railway north. (The logic here is that if I follow the railway there won't be too many serious hills: okay, it doesn't work that way, but I am a creature of habit...

This is why I ended up in Endingen, (pic 5) nerve centre of the Kaiserstühlbahn, which translates as Emperors Throne Railway which has to be one of the best names ever. This is one of many little railways in Germany, usually owned by the local authority or even the towns along the route.

(Pic 6)

Endingen is a wine growing town and it is only a few kilometres from France. This may explain why several of the streets looked like they were from "Allo Allo", which is ironic to say the least, and shows once again that "nationalism" is a bit silly. Even more interesting, this French-looking town has Austrian flags and a "Museum of Vorderösterreich" (Museum of Further Austria).

It also had a Museum of Cheese.

I hadn't planned to go to Endingen, just zip around the triangle, so now I was running late. I rode back to Riegel, still following the railway and found the crossing over the river. The sign is dropping a pretty heavy hint that it's for trains not people, so if you really insist on crossing it don't get upset if you end up squished. Germans take a rather robust approach to health and safety sometimes... (Pic 7):

Back along the river a bit, I found the Elz river, which runs through my new home town (Pic 8).

Like a lot of cycleways here this route runs along the levees that keep the surrounding land from flooding. You'd think with the rivers being straight this means a direct route, but no: the authorities have rather sensibly decided to allow large catchment areas for water to run into instead of letting it rush downstream to flood someone else. Unfortunately they then made the cycleway wiggle all around these in a manner that is aesthetically pleasing but frustratingly indirect. That surface was a bit rattly on 4-bar tyres as well...

To my surprise I still had all my teeth when I got back to tarmac. After a little wiggle through a small industrial area I reached the old village, which by some stroke of wonderfulness is the actual place where I actually live, so I get to ride here every day (Pic 9):

2020_05_03_Teningen_Endringen_Riegel_99.JPG

And the best bit is that there isn't a mahoosive great hill at the end of the ride, so I don't end up exhausted and sweating...

There are be worse places to land when moving to find work.

Last edited:

wafter

I cycled into Reading via Streatley, Pangbourne and Tilehurst. The plan was to collect a mini- bus put the bike inside take the bus to be serviced and then cycle home from Theale which is where I would leave the bus. I did this but after lot of faff that included the bus not starting and waiting 3 hours for the feckin battery to charge up. My task was eventually completed 3 hours later than originally planned and I cycled back from Theale much later than I wanted. Oh well. A total of 37.46 miles today, the longest ride of the year so far.

A mercifully short video from front and rear GoPro cameras to show how quiet the roads are here and how nice the county side is.

Video

View attachment 520198

View attachment 520199
Top practical multi-transport bike usage!

Video's private though ;)

Mike_P

Guru
Garden and shopping necessities meant the Defy has a day off today. The former did not go that well, putting a hosta in a new large, not that cheap, pot I dropped it, thankfully it went in the pot but caused the pot to split down one side:banghead:Gaffa taped while glue at the top of the split dries and then hopefully can be glued down the split:unsure:
Shopping meant an outing for the ebike after whatever passed as the evening rush hour on a cross town trip on reasonably quite roads to Morrisons where three cartons of their virtually sugar free fruit juice, two packs of coffee machine pods, a twin pack of Gu Cheesecakes, kitkat equivs and a bag of salad leaves did almost overtask the ruck sack so it was a bit like being in Aldi or Lidl dragging a poorly bagged collection of groceries to a suitable location to repack more sensibly. 8.42 miles with 575ft of the motor earning its keep especially on the return leg.

Top Bottom