Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Set out this morning aiming to complete an imperial ton for the monthly challenge . Out the door at 6.00 into a lovely morning . Headed up the Wreake valley heading to Grantham for a loop out and back . On the climb of Saxileby hill which I was taking it easy just spinning up it when twang followed by clatter clatter a spoke had broke on my rear wheel . Wheel had gone well out of true had to open the brake caliper to get the wheel to spin . So I decided to head home so a steady ride home taking it easy . Got home with 33 miles done . Not the ride I had planned but things happen and I still have time to get a ton in . Just about to change the tyres onto my spare wheel so I will still be able to ride

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I live in a hilly area. In the past few months I've managed to up my fitness a bit and lose a couple of kgs.

I'm happy to take on hilly rides. So I decided to plot the hilliest 40km loop I could find from home. Did it last night....

39.1km....1,009m of climbing

Monks Road (probably the hardest of the lot), Highgate Road, Eccles Pike, Dolly Lane, St Mary's Road, Gun Road....average ride gradient is 5.2% (so it's like riding 20km up a 5.2% slope and then back down again.)

A good challenge, could only manage 19km/hr.

13 rider

Guru
I live in a hilly area. In the past few months I've managed to up my fitness a bit and lose a couple of kgs.

I'm happy to take on hilly rides. So I decided to plot the hilliest 40km loop I could find from home. Did it last night....

Monks Road (probably the hardest of the lot), Highgate Road, Eccles Pike, Dolly Lane, St Mary's Road, Gun Road....average ride gradient is 5.2% (so it's like riding 20km up a 5.2% slope and then back down again.)

Quick maths I make that 137ft per mile , definitely classed as a hilly ride :notworthy:
Ive just booked a week in the peaks for Sept,Near Carrsington water so bit further south than you just off to look for my climbing legs

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Covered many of the same roads I did. Love the Monks road, but not the best weather for views yesterday!

ruffers

Veteran
After my last ride with my son we have managed to get him a new mountain bike and to say he was excited yesterday when we picked it up would be an understatement.

He took it for a quick spin yesterday with me and my better half walking behind. He did really well on it too.

So today we went out together. Up and down a bridle way near to us and then across the outskirts of Bury to the secondary school he starts in September.

Overall we covered 7.5 miles and he was thrilled again as this was his longest distance so far.

Happy cycling everyone 🚴🏻

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Met up with a friend in Pott Shrigley and off into the Peaks.

Up the brickworks then Windgather to Pym Chair where the majestic view across to Kinder Scout opens up View attachment 536387

Thence over the dam of Errwood reservoir View attachment 536388
and the most demoralising view in the whole Peak District: the old inclined plane leading to the top of Long Hill, alas now without the fixed engine to assist the ascent. View attachment 536389

Now, Eccles Pike, one of my favourite climbs and even a little sunshine in the view across Coombes reservoir. View attachment 536390

Finally, a last effort up the lanes beyond Chinley- very little frequented local lanes for local people - and home.

42 miles and 1350m climbing. Not too shabby for an after work ride.
I hate that climb out of the Goyt to top of Long Hill, very rarely do it when the Goyt Valley road is so nice. Agree about Eccles Pike, lovely climb from either side and excellent views

Old jon

Guru
A fine morning for a cycling escapade. Sunshine and clouds, gentle breeze, cannot ask for more. Of course I need a bike, so chose the geared one and set off.

And discovered the breeze was not quite so gentle. All part of the fun though, and having decided to ride towards the bit of Wharfedale where Otley is it seemed I would have a tailwind to return with. So, through Holbeck to Office Lock and pedal up the towpath for a couple of miles. Back on the road to travel through Headingley on the way to Lawnswood. And turn right at the traffic lights onto Church Lane.

Pass the church and the dam and take the next left to pass Golden Acre Park and then . . .
I had to decide. Which descent into the dale? Black Hill Lane is straight on, and probably the fastest ‘cos it is wide. Nope, Creskeld Lane today. Not wide, some really bad bits of tarmac. Never a dull moment. Sorted, down Kings Road, Bramhope road alterations are still interesting, and turn right.

After the video, turn left and ride to Pool, take the Harrogate road out and across the Wharfe. Then take the left turn for Leathley and another for the climb up to Farnley. This should have been wind as a total pain, but no, a couple of breaks in the hedge let some through and that was it. Down the hill to Otley and stop at the waterside park to refuel and take yet another inept photograph of the bike with my phone. No, you cannot see it!

Through the town, market day was a little on the quiet side, then up the Leeds Road heading back towards Bramhope. On the drop into the village I decided to turn right. A bit more up and down and the road goes through Cookridge and then down to Lawnswood again. Choose more descent, back to the towpath at Kirkstall. This bit of valley bottom is sort of crowded, cross the river, and then the railway line before reaching the canal.

All three keep in company back into the centre of town. Leeds Central Station is long gone, it was between Thirsk Row and Northern Street, quite a distance from what is now the town centre. Anyway, I passed that on my way back to Office Lock and then happily rode home, which was reached thirty two miles after leaving it and with 1890 feet going up to add to the fun. Well worth a grin.

Map, ups, downs. All good.

17072020.jpg

1707 elev.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Yesterday afternoon. The sun was out, the wind was light, I had things to do......................bugger it, work can wait.

Work? Work Can Wait! Ride.

Just after 2.30 I was geared up and on my way. No rush but the day leant itself to not creeping about. All local lanes and most likely no more than 7 or 8 miles from home at any time. Nevertheless it was an enjoyable run out.
The recently depleted Eccup Reservoir is back to the more usual levels:
20200716_152600.jpg

20200716_152554(1).jpg

So no water shortages for at least.............Ooooo a week ?

End to end it was 32.5miles and just a tad under 1900 ft.

16 7 20.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely warm and sunny today. So it had to be done. Out through the lanes for Wichenford and around the loop for Ockeridge where my front wheel lead me to Camp Lane and the superb views over the Teme valley and the Clee Hills. I dropped down to the river to cross twice to climb back out for Martley. Then through to Doddenham and homeward by Knightwick and Alfrick. Lovely stuff. 46 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_locations:_X-Z there are no X's but there are some Z's. Just off the top of my head I think China has quite a few X's. Bit of a ride tho' :okay:
I suggest a workable alternative for 'X' is to find a location with the letter in second place instead e.g. Exeter, Exmouth, Axminster...
If you are looking for Xs, The Belgian Ardennes are a bit closer! When we stayed at Durbuy, there were villages named Xhignesse and Xhoris nearby, and I cycled through Xhoffrais when we stayed near Malmedy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still generally doing short rides, but have been making them more interesting by checking out some obscure local roads that I have neglected in the past.

Today's ride: #3 in a limited series - ColinJ does steep little climbs up dead-end roads from the village of Walsden!

I thought that I would go and ride up Inchfield Rd, which starts immediately opposite Walsden Post Office. I did it years ago with friends on a mountain biking weekend. From that outing I remember it being steep, but my mountain bike has a 22/32 bottom gear so I can get up virtually anything on that. It would be a lot harder on my road bikes 28/30 bottom gear... It WAS!

I started the ride with a warm-up on the A646 and then climbed up to Lumbutts and descended to Hollins Rd, which took me into Walsden. I continued towards Littleborough for a couple of kms, and then u-turned to head for the bottom of Inchfield Rd.

I had forgotten that the road ramps up immediately from the A6033 and I wasn't able to change gear in time so I diverted into a side street on the left to engage the granny ring. A friendly little boy riding up and down on his bike said hello to me. Having selected my grovelling gear, I emerged back onto the climb and headed upwards. Tough, tough, tough, then... tougher! :eek:

Eventually I spotted a young couple walking up the hill ahead of me. I was breathing so hard that they heard me from about 150 metres away. They turned round and laughed, then continued. It took me ages to winch my way up to them. As I was passing I made a joke about being too old for that kind of thing. The young woman told me not to relax too much, because the hill continued going up after a short respite going round the bend ahead. Oh, super! In fact, the sting in the tail was merely hardish rather than tough, so that was not too bad. I got to the top of the road. From there, it is a farm track, bridleways and footpaths only. I took a picture down the hardish ramp for you. As usual, it was steeper than it looks...

I then shot back down towards Walsden, stopping to take another photo, this time of the tougher ramp. Again, steeper than it looks...!

It looked like it might rain, but I fancied one more climb so I nipped up the start of Bacup Rd, and then turned right up the steep climb to Sour Hall. From there I took a right, climbed to the summit, then descended to Buckley Wood, then hairpinned left to continue down Sigget Lane to Tod sports centre on the side of Centre Vale Park. I rode back into the centre of Tod, through the park.

Despite the fact that there were quite a few kms of flat roads, my little 21 km (13 mile) ride included 509 metres (1,670 ft) of ascent, some very steep.

I have just looked at the detailed profile of Inchfield Rd... It averages 12.5 % for 1 km, but it isn't a steady gradient. I'd say that there are a few places where it slackens to about 8% and others where it probably tops 20%.

Yeah, perhaps I AM getting too old for this malarkey...! :okay:

If you are looking for Xs, The Belgian Ardennes are a bit closer! When we stayed at Durbuy, there were villages named Xhignesse and Xhoris nearby, and I cycled through Xhoffrais when we stayed near Malmedy.
Or if you happen to be visiting the Costa Blanca... Xàbia (Javea).

Top Bottom