Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Usual Sunday morning pootle with our lass with the added bonus that number two son joined us. 30 miles and a sore arse for number two son. :laugh:

To be fair he did well, the furthest he has done before is 10 miles.
Well done! And now I feel guilty for thinking the sofa's a far more appealing option for this afternoon.

13 rider

Guru
Today's target imperial half century .My mate Andy hasn,t done a 50 miler since coming back to cycling in Sept after a six year break he had done high Thirty's but was up for the challenge so todays ride was back on the hybrid for comfort and pacing reasons .Anstey to Bradgate car park at Cropston to meeting point.After meeting up we headed out via beacon crossroads to Shepshed head out through Long Whatton to Kegworth we covered 13.6 miles in the first hour spot on for our plan .Stopped for a quick break at the river at Kegworth.On through Kingston on soar to Gotham (still no sign of batman)(sorry I never tire of that joke) ,East Leake ,Costock, Wysall and Willoughby on the Wolds . Stopped at the coffee shop at six hills go karting just of the A46 £1.50 for a lovely latte watched a few laps of blokes pretending to be Lewis Hamilton . on to Grimston , Saxelby , Asfordby , Hoby,Thrussington,Ratcliffe on the wreake and on to Andy's home in Sileby at this point he'd done 55 miles at an average of 14mph we managed to pace it perfectly and other than a odd struggle up the last climbs and a bit of drafting behind me into the head wind he'd made it OK and most importantly we had both really enjoyed the ride .Pressed on home via Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 56.1 miles done average dropped to 13.6 had a head wind all the way home plus a bit of climbing.
A really enjoyable ride with good company and coffee stop in nice weather does it get any better.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
midsummer%20ride.jpg
Interesting ride today. We had nowhere in particular in mind so headed off down to Cringleford and then followed the road to Intwood. At Intwood Church we decided to see where the road to the left went. We know where the road to the right goes and fancied an adventure. The road took us to Swardeston and back on to the road that we would have ridden down had we turned right in the first place. We might well explore that a bit further another day. With a map maybe.
Anyway, on we rode to East Carleton and then decided to follow the road signposted to Mulbarton. We stopped along this road as Hubster discovered that his right foot was stuck on his pedal. Turned out - after much faffing and taking off his shoe so he could actually get off the bike - that he had a screw loose. I could have told him that years ago. Never mind. He sorted it out and we carried on. We ended up at Hethel, near a sign for the Church (dead end) so we took the road anyway as the map on the garmin looked like we could get through on bikes.

We could get through on bikes but wished we were on the CXs and not the roadies. At one point, we lifted the bikes over a stile and could see the footpath was head deep in stinging nettles and that everyone else had walked to the right of the official path. We did too. Our poor bikes collected a lot of dried grass on their pedal, which we sorted out periodically as we were going along a bridal path - or at least a permissive horse riding path. We'd got off and walked by now but we got back on when we found a mown bit. We could see that the horse area was going off to the right and then back the way we'd come but on the other side of the field so Hubster held the bikes while I waded through long grass to the footpath. I reckoned it was clearer so waded back for the roadie and Hubster and we lifted the bikes over the barbed wire fence and slowly rode down the narrow footpath, with stinging nettles to each side (we are a bit stingled on our lower legs). We eventually ended up on some tarmac, decided to head to the right and soon realised that we were on Potash Lane, at the Back of Lotus. Hubster soon discovered that his cleat had fallen off completely somewhere in the stubble field. We were not going back for it. He used a couple of elastic bands we found (postmen had been about in the area, obviously) around his pedal to give him a bit more grip.

From the back of Lotus we headed towards Wymondham, cut across Spinks Lane and over the railway line to bring us out on Norwich Road and headed home down there to Hethersett, under the A47 junction and on to Cringleford and back up Bluebell.

We both forgot a camera and both failed to bring phones - not that we have anyone to call in an emergency except for 999 and there is little network out there anyway so we didn't sweat it.
22.02 miles in 1:45 moving time and averaged a moving 12.6mph which, given a good 3/4 mile of walking and a mile or more of very slow riding on the rough paths, was not too bad. Sun has come out now of course.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another Kingsway CC club ride today. I'm trying to build up my fitness for the Alps in September, so I've started adding on extra bits at the beginning and the end of my club rides. An extra 4 miles at the start, and a detour to a little beast of a hill at the end made for a 47.4 miler today.

Spent most of the ride up to Chooks (Tewkesbury) lagging a little behind, as a brisk pace was being set, and the leaders were going just a wee bit faster than my maximum speed. I quite like that, though, as the only way to get stronger is to keep pushing yourself to new limits. Anyway, they always pull over to wait for stragglers.... Decent bunch. Once we got to Chooks, I led our little group of 10 to the beer garden of the Royal Hop Pole (the starting point for many a local audax event), where a nice time was had by all in the sunshine.:cheers:

Heading back down the A38 towards Gloucester, @Largie003 suggested a detour towards his neck of the woods at Churchdown, so we took in some nice new lanes to Elmstone Hardwick and Boddington, and some not-so-nice new main roads into Churchdown - with me struggling to keep up at 20mph again. At Churchdown most of them made their way home, but I took advantage of @Largie003's local knowledge and got him to show me the way to the bottom of Chosen Hill.

Chosen Hill is a curious little solo hill on the outskirts of Gloucester with a church at the top of it, and some amazing views across the Severn Vale and down to GCHQ and Gloucestershire Airport. If you have ever passed Gloucester on the M5, you may have noticed the little church at the top of the hill near J11A . Although only three quarters of a mile or so long, it is a bit of a beast of a climb up to the church, approached by a narrow winding lane that pitches up viciously in places. Mercifully it is only at its very worst for a couple of stretches of 100 metres or so. I turned up at St Bartholomew's Church at Sunday service chucking out time, and had to pick my way past a few cars coming downhill in particularly narrow stretches. Pleased to say I made it in one, so that's another one I can claim to have "beaten". :dance:Sat on a bench admiring the view for 10 minutes wishing I had brought a camera.

After that, it was just an easy 5 or 6 miles back home, taking the most direct route via the rugby club and through Gloucester city centre, where I spotted a friend of mine heading out to the pub. That's my last ride before a week in the South of France, so I might not be able to post too much for a while. I'll try to keep up with this thread if I can, though, WIFI permitting. I seem to remember last time I surfed the net from France and looked for "Cyclechat" the search engine helpfully came up with something about menstrual cycles in cats!:biggrin:
Enjoy your cycling, everyone. Cheers,
Donger.

https://www.strava.com/activities/330015430

A gentle get over the hangover, roll through some local parks, with the Skyride lot:thumbsup:.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Woke up to the sound of rain beating against the window. I don't know about you but I can't stand the rain. Against my window.

Anyhow, Fathers' Day stuff had been put back to the afternoon what with my boys being teenagers and still in their caves, so I did a familiar out and back to Holmfirth and New Mill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/329877988

Nothing really photo-worthy HOWEVER someone had been busy since the last time I'd cycled the local Sustrans 66 path so I snapped their handiwork...

DSC_0330.jpg

Yeah. Great. Thanks for that. It beggars belief. That's across the route FFS.

Got rained on a bit and the blustery wind was annoying, but not a bad trip at all. Got home and received my Fathers' Day schwag! This was the piece de resistance...

DSC_0331.jpg

:okay:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
@Berk on a Bike Surely you could just bunny hop that barrier . how hard can it be :whistle:
This is me after trying...

ltd.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok i will admit i will not be out today , fathers day meant i ended up taking the extended family for a pub "carvery " meal .
I had intended to go out in the morning but family stuff got in the way and 3 hours after i ate i still feel like i would barf if i tried riding at any pace as a big roast dinner followed by treacle sponge and custard was tasty but feels like a lead balloon in my stomach still .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I can tell I'm not in Mallorca any more! A quick loop around the Gransdens into a strong head wind. Annoyingly I had trouble breathing again which was not evident one little jot in 250 miles of riding during the week.
Told you I need to move out there!
Anyway, no birds to report about, but I did see a very nice white frog eyed sprite being driven by an old couple.

http://www.strava.com/activities/330071248

Archeress

Veteran
Mr Archeress and I transported the bikes over to Bynea to ride the Millenium Coast Path once again. This is one of Mr As favourites due to the lack of wind. However, due to the stiff breeze we found our 13 mile westward outbound ride to be a bit tough. Things got much better when we turned east and headed back to the car.

Lunch time (The bike is Mr As)
IMG_0594.JPG

Kite Surfer (about half a mile out)
IMG_0596.JPG

Afternoon stop (The panini was Mr As, the cake mine, yum yum)
20150621_150052.jpg

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/330136347

Hugs
Archeress x

I did the Graeme Obree sportive down in not so sunny Ayrshire today. 122km with just over 2000m of climbing. A tough day out and the weather didn't help. Strong westerly wind and a few blusterly showers. Only 10C as well.
I completed the route in just under 4 1/2 hours dispite going pop with about 15km to go.
Highlight of my day though was riding with two cycling legends, Graeme Obree and Sir Chris Hoy. Rode with them for about 20km, chatting away and they came across as a couple of genuine down to earth guys

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I did the Graeme Obree sportive down in not so sunny Ayrshire today. 122km with just over 2000m of climbing. A tough day out and the weather didn't help. Strong westerly wind and a few blusterly showers. Only 10C as well.
I completed the route in just under 4 1/2 hours dispite going pop with about 15km to go.
Highlight of my day though was riding with two cycling legends, Graeme Obree and Sir Chris Hoy. Rode with them for about 20km, chatting away and they came across as a couple of genuine down to earth guys

I'll bet they're blogging or twitting right at this minute saying they rode with arranandy!

Top Bottom