Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our ride today was 86 miles and harder than normal as it was meant to be training. However the interesting one was on Friday when I cycled out to watch the women's international road race. It started in Oundle, which by the way is quite beautiful if you have never been. Got some good photos, missed seeing @HLaB but saw a couple of old friends. Now, I know most of the roads in this area as we often ride around here, so once the women were on their way I reckoned I could easily ride to Rockingham before they got there to watch the climb for QOM.
Anyway off I scooted and on the way fell in with a couple of Rockingham Wheelers who assured me when we reached a particular junction that straight on was best as it avoided a poor road surface [we are near Corby]. By this time I needed a pee stop so told them to carry on, after 10 minutes continuing in the same direction I knew something was wrong and sure enough I came to a junction with a few spectators waiting for the women to come through, I immediately recognised where I was, about 7 miles from where I was heading and the only way to get there now was to ride the same route as the women I silently cursed the 2 Wheelers.
This was definitely not Plan A, nor B for that matter and being on fixed I couldn't really go as quick as I wanted on the downhills. After only a few hundred metres one of the police motorbike outriders passed me with the blue lights on, when I looked back and saw the second police bike I flagged him alongside and asked how far behind me were the peloton, 3 miles was the reply, first thought was eek! I kept pedalling [no other option actually on fixed :rolleyes:], now I was really pushing, I dropped down into Harringworth turned left and headed for Gretton, all the while aware of lots of people taking my picture and giving me a cheer, others looked a bit bemused, I didn't blame them. I can't recall ever climbing up to Gretton that quickly before, but then I had never had a peloton behind me either [actually that is not quite true, but not under these circumstances]. As I entered Gretton There were police motorbikes everywhere together with race marshals and a LOT of people, including the primary school children all waving their flags, they all cheered me and I gave them a wave as I descended through the village at well over the speed limit, only a couple of flattish miles to go to the bottom of Rockingham hill and when a race marshal pulled alongside and when he said said I was going well it spurred me on even more, though truth to tell I was on my limit.
At last Rockingham, I turned left on what was now a closed road lined with spectators, including many roadies, I inwardly groaned because now the world and his dog were going to be watching me climb this hill. It did feel a bit weird, but I got a perverse enjoyment out of it being the only cyclist on the road with a big audience, plus I knew I could get up it as I had done it once before years ago. I guess it is around 14% but I am sure someone on here will know the exact gradient. After many cheers and not a little sweat I got to the point where I wanted to watch from.
I had got there more than 15 mins ahead of the peloton which was averaging 24 mph so I was quite chuffed with that.
Here they are
A3AD9D94-9589-46F6-88BB-67A414CCBFDE_zpstktyfhvt.jpg

9C6CFEE8-2386-4EBA-953C-6042EA85AEC8_zpsv1jnx9ag.jpg

A day to remember, especially nice because we know a few of the riders. Not sure I would want to do that again though without gears.

Mr Archeress and I transported the bikes over to Bynea to ride the Millenium Coast Path once again. This is one of Mr As favourites due to the lack of wind. However, due to the stiff breeze we found our 13 mile westward outbound ride to be a bit tough. Things got much better when we turned east and headed back to the car.

Lunch time (The bike is Mr As)
View attachment 92858

Kite Surfer (about half a mile out)
View attachment 92859

Afternoon stop (The panini was Mr As, the cake mine, yum yum)
View attachment 92857

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/330136347

Hugs
Archeress x

image.jpg

:blink:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Our ride today was 86 miles and harder than normal as it was meant to be training. However the interesting one was on Friday when I cycled out to watch the women's international road race. It started in Oundle, which by the way is quite beautiful if you have never been. Got some good photos, missed seeing @HLaB but saw a couple of old friends. Now, I know most of the roads in this area as we often ride around here, so once the women were on their way I reckoned I could easily ride to Rockingham before they got there to watch the climb for QOM.
Anyway off I scooted and on the way fell in with a couple of Rockingham Wheelers who assured me when we reached a particular junction that straight on was best as it avoided a poor road surface [we are near Corby]. By this time I needed a pee stop so told them to carry on, after 10 minutes continuing in the same direction I knew something was wrong and sure enough I came to a junction with a few spectators waiting for the women to come through, I immediately recognised where I was, about 7 miles from where I was heading and the only way to get there now was to ride the same route as the women I silently cursed the 2 Wheelers.
This was definitely not Plan A, nor B for that matter and being on fixed I couldn't really go as quick as I wanted on the downhills. After only a few hundred metres one of the police motorbike outriders passed me with the blue lights on, when I looked back and saw the second police bike I flagged him alongside and asked how far behind me were the peloton, 3 miles was the reply, first thought was eek! I kept pedalling [no other option actually on fixed :rolleyes:], now I was really pushing, I dropped down into Harringworth turned left and headed for Gretton, all the while aware of lots of people taking my picture and giving me a cheer, others looked a bit bemused, I didn't blame them. I can't recall ever climbing up to Gretton that quickly before, but then I had never had a peloton behind me either [actually that is not quite true, but not under these circumstances]. As I entered Gretton There were police motorbikes everywhere together with race marshals and a LOT of people, including the primary school children all waving their flags, they all cheered me and I gave them a wave as I descended through the village at well over the speed limit, only a couple of flattish miles to go to the bottom of Rockingham hill and when a race marshal pulled alongside and when he said said I was going well it spurred me on even more, though truth to tell I was on my limit.
At last Rockingham, I turned left on what was now a closed road lined with spectators, including many roadies, I inwardly groaned because now the world and his dog were going to be watching me climb this hill. It did feel a bit weird, but I got a perverse enjoyment out of it being the only cyclist on the road with a big audience, plus I knew I could get up it as I had done it once before years ago. I guess it is around 14% but I am sure someone on here will know the exact gradient. After many cheers and not a little sweat I got to the point where I wanted to watch from.
I had got there more than 15 mins ahead of the peloton which was averaging 24 mph so I was quite chuffed with that.
Here they are

A day to remember, especially nice because we know a few of the riders. Not sure I would want to do that again though without gears.
Brilliant :thumbsup:

Ok i will admit i will not be out today , fathers day meant i ended up taking the extended family for a pub "carvery " meal .
I had intended to go out in the morning but family stuff got in the way and 3 hours after i ate i still feel like i would barf if i tried riding at any pace as a big roast dinner followed by treacle sponge and custard was tasty but feels like a lead balloon in my stomach still .
This for me aswell, except my carvery was followed by the ice cream sundae. Really nice weather today after yesterday so missed out on a ride, never mind there's always next weekend.

Archeress

Veteran
Mr Archeress and I transported the bikes over to Bynea to ride the Millenium Coast Path once again. This is one of Mr As favourites due to the lack of wind. However, due to the stiff breeze we found our 13 mile westward outbound ride to be a bit tough. Things got much better when we turned east and headed back to the car.

Lunch time (The bike is Mr As)
View attachment 92858

Kite Surfer (about half a mile out)
View attachment 92859

Afternoon stop (The panini was Mr As, the cake mine, yum yum)
View attachment 92857

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/330136347

Hugs
Archeress x
Ooops... meant lack of hills... not lack of wind, there was plenty of wind today...

13 rider

Guru
Here they are

Come on we know you planned it to ride through the crowds to have the kids wave at you :laugh:. I did try to convince gears were the way to go . Great story I could just see the crowd trying to figure who you were.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It took a lot of effort to heave my backside off the sofa and onto the bike this afternoon but, as always, within a couple of miles I was loving it, especially the unexpected sunshine. It wasn't a particularly strenuous ride: 38 miles around Taunton Deane with not much more than 2000 feet of climbing, but that's just what the legs wanted since this is the third consecutive week I've done 200+ miles and I'm definitely feeling it.

I didn't see many other cyclists but I may owe the guy on the blue bike with white bar tape who overtook me an apology, depending on how close behind he was when I stood up and let one rip. Sir, if you're reading this, can we just pretend it's the official greeting between CCers? :blush:

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Today the
William's Farm Kitchen Cycle Challenge 2015 (Holderness Sportive)

I'd entered the 100k -
usual a slow start for me

Things I learned :
who needs hills when you've got wind
the flatlands don't allow down-hills to free-wheel to recover
check you have enough powder to make energy drinks ...
don't get lost it adds 6.79 miles extra to your distance ...
an extra 6.79 miles really really takes it out of you

I'm not a fit as I hoped ...
distance = 68.79
time = 3.54.31
av = 17.6
:bicycle:
^_^

Booyaa

Veteran
Was out with the wife and kids today, first time they've really beeon the roads (kids, not wife) and ended up doing about 12k which is about 10k further than they have ever done before so was a great effort by them, probably about the slowest I have ever cycled but so much fun.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This for me aswell, except my carvery was followed by the ice cream sundae. Really nice weather today after yesterday so missed out on a ride, never mind there's always next weekend.
6 day working week coming up so looking at about 65 hours work , well thats 6 days commuting so i will see how energetic i feel next Sunday .

D

Deleted member 1258

Willoughby the destination 58 miles the journey. I had a better ride this morning than last Sunday, I'd almost got my legs back, but faded badly on the way home. The route out was similar to last week, but instead of turning towards Birdingbury I carried on to Long Itchington turned right then left across the Banbury Road and then turned towards Broadwell, the other side of Broadwell I turned right then headed through Flecknoe and Staverton then skirted Daventry and picked up the A45 to Willoughby. I rode back though Grandborough then turned left to pick up the route I took out through Broadwell and Long Itchington and on to the Leamington road and though Bubbenhall, Ryton and over the A45 to Woolston where I turned for home, riding into Coventry past the speedway over the A46 down the Binley Road then turning right and up Hipswell highway Sewall Highway and Proffit Avenue then crossing the Foleshill road and picking up Lythals Lane then home.

Met a friend at a local cafe this morning had pastry and a coffee and cycled down to see a local road race. As we were cycling up a little country road, chatting away, we suddenly felt a presence a motorbike decided to berate us, for riding two abreast. He then stopped immediately in front of us and I almost had a clippless moment but used his bike to catch my balance. It wasn't a strong enough push as it was only a finger to balance me but he reacted 'don't push my bike'. For some reason I replied with my inbuilt 'sorry' reaction and proceeded to explain and for some reason that calmed him down and we parted company.
My mate was visited shortly later by the p'ture fairly unfortunately. For some reason none of the spare tubes we had worked and I was going to use my last one or patches but we were only a couple of miles from his house, so he issued an SOS to his wife. I suppose it was Father's Day.
I went on to the race.
20150621_104229.jpg

After watching it, it was near 12.30pm but I decided I wanted to make more of this day and remembered I had a track to Blaby in my garmin. A couple of miles was off road, oops but I made it feeling fresh despite, the lumps into a strong headwind.
IMG_20150621_153409.jpg
Took advantage of that wind on the way back though :bicycle:
but I stopped to take this.

20150621_164314.jpg

The average was creeping up but for some reason:rolleyes: I decided to go up Rockingham hill. It seemed like I was home in no time after that :bicycle::bicycle:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/810996378

Edit: For some reason I'm ravenous now, I can't think why ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom