Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've recently got back from the London-Brighton-London ride for the British Heart Foundation. I keep trying to remember how many times I've done this one over the years, but lose count at somewhere between 7 and 9 I think.

After suffering from food poisoning, and lost 2.5 kilo, since early last Tuesday morning and, apart from a brief respite on Thursday (handily, as I went the the Women's Tour in Oundle) when things stopped coming up and started coming out of the far end, I had to be up for 03:00 on Sunday morning so headed up to bed at about 22:15 having made sure the bike was fully prepped and fettled for the day, and all stuff was packed and ready to go when a mate was due to pick me up at 03:30 <yawn>

Sure enough, Sods Law, it was party night for my Romanian neighbours... :cheers::surrender:
I can't really complain as they make no noise during the week, as they're up early for work, but do like to celebrate Saturday nights with a p*ss up in the garden.. (why is there always one voice in a crowd that grates?)
Suffice to say, I had no sleep whatsoever when I had to crawl out of bed :cry:
Such is life... Hoping and praying that my bowels would remain firm for the day, we got to Clapham Common on time to meet the rest of the chaps at 06:00 ready for our 06:30 start time.

DSC_1492.JPG

The nearest we got to a group photo..

DSC_1488.JPG

Between 05:45 and 06:15, the crowds grew from virtually nothing to this.. Anyway, within 15 mins or so, we were on our way. As usual, the roads were clogged getting out of London, particularly Tooting Broadway. Once clear of London, apart from a few of the bottlenecks, we had a fairly clear ride for the rest of the way. That's the advantage of an early start time with 27,000 people on a ride!

DSC_1499.JPG

Ditchling village, with the Beacon in the background.
This year, I was, to be honest, not sure I'd make it to the top. Turners Hill, and the other lumps on the route weren't too bad, but being a bit feeble, it was going to be a challenge. Discretion being the better part of valour, I did stop for a couple of minutes about 2/3 of the way up for a breather, but then cocked my leg over the saddle once more, and rode the rest of the way up. Once there, unusually for me, I didn't have an ice cream, but rejoined another of the chaps, and continued downhill to Brighton.
Due to the traffic and parking, my daughter and the mob who'd driven down to say Happy Fathers Day hadn't yet reached the finish line..

DSC_1508.JPG

Still, we met up by the pier and after potential son-in-law had bought me a beer, we did important things like throwing stones at the waves for a while then off to the paddling pool and play area until they had to head home.

By the evening, I had to eat some proper food, as my energy levels were seriously low. With no sleep for 20 hours, and not much food for nearly a week, I was in danger of falling over! After booking in at the hotel, we all went out for a stroll and to find some food. I ended up having a veggi-burger and salad while the rest tucked into chilli chicken, chips, sides, garlic mushrooms, etc etc... :hungry: :sad:, still, I was pleased to keep food inside me for more than 30 minutes!
By 22:00 we were all knackered and ready for a good night's sleep.

The following morning, and after a proper kip, we met for breakfast at 07:30, ready for two of us to ride back to London. Fully cured, I had a decent plate of food and a few mugs of coffee before getting changed into waterproofs for the ride back. Luckily, the Sunday was OK. cloudy and windy, but OK. This morning, however, was crap..

DSC_1520.JPG

Heading out of Brighton, under the A27, the roads weren't coping well with the downpour. (The van couldn't drive any further right to avoid the river, but did slow down as he went through it) and the main cycle path runs under the bridge to get to the A23 cycle path towards London. Rubbish really, but that's the way it goes...

We stayed alongside the A23 until just south Crawley before cutting back onto the L2B route at Turners Hill.

_20150622_173125.JPG

The cycle path still hasn't improved much since last time I rode it! :wacko:

From here on, we were on quieter roads until we reached the outskirts of London, but there were some quite steep bits (by southern standards) to tackle on the way. I'm surprised they're not categorized on Strava.
I was happy that all the drivers, apart from one, gave us space on the narrower roads as the weather was making riding conditions quite nasty, with deep puddles alongside the gutters. Strangely, the dodgiest pass was by an ambulance that overtook stupidly and nearly wiped my front wheel away as it cut in to avoid an oncoming car. Still, if I was laying on the verge injured, help wouldn't be too long arriving... :whistle:

Back in London, we followed a route I know well, the A237 towards the A24 at Tooting and thence onto CS7 to Clapham where we'd left the car.

With a 4 hour ride, three of which it was precipitating it down, and one hour brief respite from the weather, as soon as we'd wrung out the clothing and got the bikes on the rack, the sun came out :sun::banghead:

Never mind. Skin's waterproof!!

Back home, eventually, with two 54/55 mile rides, fully recovered from the illness.

https://www.strava.com/activities/329818570

https://www.strava.com/activities/330589001

Ready for next years' L2B now..

:smile:

Couple of commutes to add.

Yesterday evenings was a bit wet with occasional showers(some heavy) and some tricky level crossings;the village of Queen Adelaide has three of them,all notorious for catching out the unwary in the wet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/330757072

And this mornings;

https://www.strava.com/activities/331081797

Gave it a bit of welly on the cycle path so pleased with the Strava cups although my legs are not really happy at the moment hence the activity title^_^.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
On Friday last week I took part in the Colliers Try-Athlon thing which is an annual event held at Tockington in South Glos.

My firm fielded two relay teams and also two competitors doing the whole swim, ride & run malarkey.

It was a 400m swim, a 16km ride and a 5km run. I did the cycle part only and beat my time from last year's event by a whole second !

A lovely sunny day much enjoyed by everyone.

BL_AAIC.jpg

I haven't posted up anything for the rides I have done recently, there wasn't that much to say, so I thought I would do it as a round up.

My 2nd ride out was uneventful if slow. (10.8 miles) https://www.strava.com/activities/327978127

My 3rd ride out was also uneventful and slow, but slightly faster than the previous ride... being a Sunday I managed to bully my OH into joining me. He wasn't that happy about it but stayed with me when I suggested he rode home ahead of me... It was one of those rides with him... https://www.strava.com/activities/329788018

My 4th ride was with my new riding partner who has signed herself up to a long ride in 6 weeks time and well.... anyhow we managed to dodge the rain, and saw the other recumbent trike in the area... I had hear rumours about it, but the guy either didn't want to talk or hadn't seen us and given I have no voice (still) I couldn't even say hi to get his attention... so we didn't talk. I also extended the ride a touch (12.8 miles) which gets my riding partner doing 26 miles (not bad for only her 4th or 5th ride out...) we just need to work on pace even though it was my fastest ride yet.. :huh: Oh and there was some excitement. We had to round up an escaped cow... https://www.strava.com/activities/330596061

Today's ride was another solo ride. I wasn't really in the mood for it and it took me some time to get myself going and some time to bully myself in even considering it, so it was gone 10am when I set out. Not much happened really other than I got overtaken by a horse going uphill :blush:. It started off with me catching the horse up... then realising I had no way of letting the rider know I was there, because when I say I have no voice still, I really mean it. People in the same room as me can't hear me, so getting the attention of a horse rider is not going to happen. I just had to wait until she realised I was there and then when I got close enough I was able to apologise and explain that I don't think ringing (my non-existent bell) was a good idea, but that I had lost my voice and was out of ideas having ruled out clapping of hands etc... sadly it took her that long to realise I was there, that we met the steepest part of my route and a minute or two after I had overtaken her (hoping I would get to the top in time (I did set my 2nd or 3rd fastest time on that section strava tells me)) she over took me saying it looked like hard work.... it was. A few minutes later, I overtook her (all done with us both correctly moving to the right hand side of the single track road :wacko:).... so what else... Oh The weather was good enough for me to stop to take some photos...

Summer has arrived (and I suppect will have gone as well). I have had my daily dose of Vitamin D... and I can now retire to my OAP's chair...

IMG_3530.JPG

The fragrance stopped me in my tracks.

So 12.8 miles and my fastest speed yet - probably related to the warmer weather. https://www.strava.com/activities/331194126

So not much has really happened in the last 4 rides.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I haven't posted up anything for the rides I have done recently, there wasn't that much to say, so I thought I would do it as a round up.

My 2nd ride out was uneventful if slow. (10.8 miles) https://www.strava.com/activities/327978127

My 3rd ride out was also uneventful and slow, but slightly faster than the previous ride... being a Sunday I managed to bully my OH into joining me. He wasn't that happy about it but stayed with me when I suggested he rode home ahead of me... It was one of those rides with him... https://www.strava.com/activities/329788018

My 4th ride was with my new riding partner who has signed herself up to a long ride in 6 weeks time and well.... anyhow we managed to dodge the rain, and saw the other recumbent trike in the area... I had hear rumours about it, but the guy either didn't want to talk or hadn't seen us and given I have no voice (still) I couldn't even say hi to get his attention... so we didn't talk. I also extended the ride a touch (12.8 miles) which gets my riding partner doing 26 miles (not bad for only her 4th or 5th ride out...) we just need to work on pace even though it was my fastest ride yet.. :huh: Oh and there was some excitement. We had to round up an escaped cow... https://www.strava.com/activities/330596061

Today's ride was another solo ride. I wasn't really in the mood for it and it took me some time to get myself going and some time to bully myself in even considering it, so it was gone 10am when I set out. Not much happened really other than I got overtaken by a horse going uphill :blush:. It started off with me catching the horse up... then realising I had no way of letting the rider know I was there, because when I say I have no voice still, I really mean it. People in the same room as me can't hear me, so getting the attention of a horse rider is not going to happen. I just had to wait until she realised I was there and then when I got close enough I was able to apologise and explain that I don't think ringing (my non-existent bell) was a good idea, but that I had lost my voice and was out of ideas having ruled out clapping of hands etc... sadly it took her that long to realise I was there, that we met the steepest part of my route and a minute or two after I had overtaken her (hoping I would get to the top in time (I did set my 2nd or 3rd fastest time on that section strava tells me)) she over took me saying it looked like hard work.... it was. A few minutes later, I overtook her (all done with us both correctly moving to the right hand side of the single track road :wacko:).... so what else... Oh The weather was good enough for me to stop to take some photos...

Summer has arrived (and I suppect will have gone as well). I have had my daily dose of Vitamin D... and I can now retire to my OAP's chair...

View attachment 93134
The fragrance stopped me in my tracks.

So 12.8 miles and my fastest speed yet - probably related to the warmer weather. https://www.strava.com/activities/331194126

So not much has really happened in the last 4 rides.
Uneventful perhaps, but good to see you're getting out again:okay:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Last few weeks I feel tired, lethargic, generally flat. Tonight I have to resist the temptation of slumping in the armchair.
Offered the wife a walk somewhere nice or a ride together...no, she's tired as well.
Go on...she offered...go for a ride. Truth is I couldn't really be bothered, on my feet all day, back sore...ah sod it..
11 miles at an ambling pace, suns shining, traffic in town is light...a red kite meandering over the city...they come right in now, I wonder what prey they could find ?
That got the system going a bit...feel better already.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Bit of a crappy day at work, but the sun was out and the wind was light (and I needed to have a ride today to keep the legs reminded they have to do 100 miles on saturday) So off I went.

25 miles later I was back. Enjoyed that and it clears the head somewhat too :smile: Summer must be arriving as I lost count of how many other riders I met, there was a mini peloton of the local CC, numerous singles and a father and daughter, and two old boys doing the tourist thing who I ended up passing twice :laugh:

I'm feeling quite good for the weekend now, and I won't be riding the 100 as hard as I did tonight that's for sure :smile:

Top Bottom