Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just had a cracking 2hrs tearing around wakerley woods and fineshade off piste..
lovely evening for turning a wheel...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Thanks. She's 10 weeks old and is going to be a menace. Scrap that, already is. But adorable. With the obligatory big fat belly that she's happy to present for rubs at every opportunity. Mind you, I was happy to get home to my sedate (by comparison) 8 year old.

Reminds me of somebody I used to know....

image.jpg

He was a fine stick and stone chewer.... We miss him.

Last edited:

Alex H

Legendary Member
It was a :sun: day yesterday and 'only ' forecast at 23° so I decided to do a 'long' ride.

Through Rochechouart and on to La Rochefoucauld.

Here is the main Limoges / Angouleme railway line :ohmy:
P6240055.jpg

Turning south, I was cycling alongside thousands of sunflowers. Alas, no flowers yet, but I did find some poppies

P6240056.jpg

A quick banana stop at Chazelles - this is the Mairie

P6240057.jpg

On the way to Marthon, I found a green lane :smile: (must check it out later)

P6240058.jpg

And finally back home :whistle:

P6240059.jpg

I wish ^_^

Anyway on to Nontron (home of the world famous knife factory - or maybe it's just the French that think that :rolleyes:) where I stopped at Saint-Martial-de-Valette for lunch.

P6240060.jpg

Nontron is not the most cycle friendly town, going north - it is one long hill (about 3km) :sad:

The ride from here was quite pleasant though, after I got to a flattish bit, onwards to St Mathieu. Another banana break and it's getting a bit hot now, 23° my pineapple :angry:

P6240061.jpg

I'm now at 120km and have to make a decision - imperial century or no? I've never done one before and have only been trying for the last couple of years (not too seriously). So foolishly or otherwise I decide to go for it and turn left to Cussac - uphill of course :rolleyes:. Hills are now getting very slow but Cussac arrives and goes and I'm on my way to Châlus, when I find the green lane crosses my path - 11km of shaded, no traffic cycling :okay:

Stopped at the station for another banana (in case you're wondering, I had 5 small ones ^_^)

P6240062.jpg

Once in Châlus, I realise that I don't have to keep to the original route to get the magic 161km, so cut off cross country (downhill^_^) to Gorre. From here to St Laurent-sur-Gorre, where the nice man in the COOP sold me a bottle of cold orange juice - my water was becoming a bit warm at this point. Next point the lovely St Cyr, where I reached the imperial century in 8hrs 4 mins. Another 12km and I was back home, where I found out that the shade temperature was now 29°:eek:

Now that I've done it, I don't think I'll be doing it again - I'll stick to 100km.:unsure: (maybe)

So, 172km in 8:36:40, average 19.97km/hr (which actually, is not far off my normal 20/21 average :smile:)

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've not posted here for a while but I have been out - honest!
I wasn't going out today as I've been floored with my FM for a week or so, but it was dry, overcast but windless, so I thought a gentle pootle would do me good.
I headed down to the Helix and surrounding areas, and when I got home I had racked up 15 miles! How did that happen!

I stopped for a snack at the lagoon and to adjust my saddle height, and had some interest....

20150625_095642.png

20150625_095429.png

20150625_103931.png

Arabella at the lagoon!

I then headed over Lock 3 and up to the Kelpies...
20150625_103312.png

20150625_104001.jpg
Happy me!

No issues until I got out of the shower and cracked my knee on the edge! :laugh:
A lovely, relaxing ride!

Simontm

Veteran
:laugh::laugh:Back from Brussels and back on the bike.
Did a metric ton! A 65-miler ^_^
Left a bit later than planned so decided to first go via the tow path to Weybridge and avoid the school brigades - besides which don't you find Hurst Park and Oaklands just dull?
Lovely and sunny and not as many dog walkers as I thought there would be. Took the walking only bit of Walton lock as an opportunity to have a drink and to take a pic
image.jpg
Then joined the Olympic/ Ride London route through Surrey.
Wheezed my way up Newlands Corner
image.jpg
Then bombed down though Holmsbury then up Leith Hill at a stately and sweaty 5mph :laugh:
image.jpg
It's there promise you, through the trees, top of Leith Hill...must have been delirious :laugh:
Sped up to the A25 and was first overtaken by someone very much better than me on a bike but then I took him - it's the up I can't do, not the down ;) according to Strava I hit 45mph there :eek:
Anyway, he caught up with me at Box Hill and, needless to say, overtook me as I was doing 11mph. I did overtake two bikes but they were a couple of lasses having a good old chat so would probably have kept me at a distance if they really tried :rolleyes:
Met my nemesis at the top, lovely bloke doing Ride London for Epilepsy charity. Had done it before and gave me some helpful advice.
image.jpg
Had a Pepsi then back down to Leatherhead. There I decided to do a bit of a dog,eg and went down to Cobham before switching back to Oxshott, Esher then, in a move I expect I will be desperate to do on the actual Ride London day, I turned off into my road instead of heading onto Kingston.

Now, another day off tomorrow- where to go? ^_^

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Largely a repeat of a ride of a couple of weeks ago, but with a couple of changes, in an effort to get more hills in my legs ready for @nickyboy 's planned ride.
Started in Glossop and went straight up the Snake Pass. Surprisingly quiet, although one BMW driver seemed blind to the speed signs and determined to have early appointment with his maker.:rolleyes:
Regretted wearing my jacket on within about a mile of the >3 mile climb :sweat: as despite the overcast weather, and the clouds shrouding the distant hills, it was surprisingly warm on the summit.
IMAG0179_zpsvweebeba.jpg

However I did appreciate the jacket on the descent, which itself was a bit weird. Hit 40 mph on the descent until the trees, then straight into a breeze, pretty much all the way to Ladybower. A banana in my back pocket made a failed bid for freedom. Although it was looking a bit battered when I recovered it.

Past Ladybower and on to Bamford and a view to the further hills I was going to encounter.
IMAG0181_zpszrpghyws.jpg

Through Hope village, and most of the houses on the main road were decked out in bunting for Wakes week,
IMAG0182_zpszgo1ephn.jpg

before stopping in a remarkably quiet Castleton for more drink and to put the battered banana out of its by now miserable state.
IMAG0185_zps6gm2u5al.jpg

Didn't notice this last time I was in Castleton, but I am sure it was there; this has to be one of my favourie signs;
IMAG0187_zpsefi00qy9.jpg

Anyway, took Winnats Road to Chapel. first time up that hill and it was a bugger. No walking, but did have to stop for a breather a couple of times,even with the incentive of a rider in front of me.:sad:

Chatted briefly with a couple of riders at the top of the hill, including the one I had been following, but they were going across to Chapel en le Frith via Long Hill, whereas I was taking a detour to Sparrowpit. Not a lot there, but probably best known for this pub, which I have passed hundreds of time by car, when visiting relatives on the other side of the Peak District.
IMAG0191_zps7rgqaau6.jpg

On the way to Sparrowpit, came across a heard of cattle all with white saddlebacks. Never seen these before.
IMAG0190_zpsq3q4jp2d.jpg

From Sparrowpit headed towards Chapel, before picking up the Glossop/Hayfield road. A couple of 10% ers along here, including this seemingly innocent rise.
IMAG0192_zps33gevrzk.jpg

Which is folowed a couple of miles later by a longer one, (or was I just tired?) at Chunal, for which any picture would not tell a story, as it would merely be a chapter of one bend on a hill, not the reality of one bend hiding another, hiding another, etc.

On the plus side, the descents are terrific with more 40's. ^_^

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Largely a repeat of a ride of a couple of weeks ago, but with a couple of changes, in an effort to get more hills in my legs ready for @nickyboy 's planned ride.
Started in Glossop and went straight up the Snake Pass. Surprisingly quiet, although one BMW driver seemed blind to the speed signs and determined to have early appointment with his maker.:rolleyes:
Regretted wearing my jacket on within about a mile of the >3 mile climb :sweat: as despite the overcast weather, and the clouds shrouding the distant hills, it was surprisingly warm on the summit.
IMAG0179_zpsvweebeba.jpg

However I did appreciate the jacket on the descent, which itself was a bit weird. Hit 40 mph on the descent until the trees, then straight into a breeze, pretty much all the way to Ladybower. A banana in my back pocket made a failed bid for freedom. Although it was looking a bit battered when I recovered it.

Past Ladybower and on to Bamford and a view to the further hills I was going to encounter.
IMAG0181_zpszrpghyws.jpg

Through Hope village, and most of the houese on the main road were decked out in bunting for Wakes week,
IMAG0182_zpszgo1ephn.jpg

before stopping in a remarkably quiet Castleton for more drink and to put the battered banana out of its by now miserable state.
IMAG0185_zps6gm2u5al.jpg

Didn't notice this last time I was in Castleton, but I am sure it was there; this has to be one of my favourie signs;
IMAG0187_zpsefi00qy9.jpg

Anyway, took Winnats Road to Chapel. first time up that hill and it was bugger. No walking, but did have to stop for a breather a couple of times,even with the incentive a rider in front of me.:sad:

Chatted briefly with a couple of riders at the top of the hill, including the one I had been following, but they were going across to Chapel en le Frith via Long Hill, whereas I was taking a detour to Sparrowpit. Not a lot there, but probably best known for this pub, which I have passed hundreds of time by car, when visiting relatives on the other side of the Peak District.
IMAG0191_zps7rgqaau6.jpg

On the way to Sparrowpit, came across a heard of cattle all with white saddlebacks. Never sen these before.
IMAG0190_zpsq3q4jp2d.jpg

From Sparrowpit headed towards Chapel, before picking up the Glossop/Hayfield road. A couple of 10% ers along here, inlcuding this seemingly innocent rise.
IMAG0192_zps33gevrzk.jpg

Which is folowed a couple of miles later by a longer one, (or was I just tired?) at Chunal, for which any picture would not tell a story, as it would merely be a chapter of one bend on a hill, not the reality of one bend hiding another, hiding another, etc.

One the plus side, the descents are terrific with more 40's. ^_^

Great ride Bazzer, good miles and climbing and well done on Winnats. That climb is several orders of magnitude harder than anything on my CC ride. That final picture is a climb called Peep o' Day. There's a much nicer ascent if you're going to do it again. Have a look on the map for Maynestones Road out of Chinley.

Cheeky link to my CC ride as we don't have many interested so far:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/snakes-cats-and-bricks-peak-district-july-18th.181404/

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
It would appear that summer has finally arrived down here on the south coast so a shady route was the order of the day for my usual Thursday afternoon ride.

From my collection of regular New Forest routes I headed north along the tree lined roads to Furzley before venturing into the sun & across the more open roads to Godshill. It was then back into the shade & up through the villages of Hale & Woodgreen on twisty single track lanes before heading back through Redlynch, Landford & Bramshaw for a pleasant, albeit warm 35 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/332684048

IMG_0140.JPG

Thankfully there was plenty of shade on todays route
IMG_0143.JPG

015 (2).JPG
019 (2).JPG

The usual selection of wildlife was in evidence with some more keen on the sun than others.

Top Bottom