Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Today had it's good and bad points. I had to go to the dentist which is in Cullompton, Devon as I am still with my childhood dentist. The dentist found a small hole in a molar, but we decided to leave it alone for the time being. As I was back in the area where I grew up I had decided to take the bike with me.

Starting from my parents home, which is high above the valley floor in Tiverton I descended rapidly, crossing the Grand Western Canal (which is also high up above the valley)
IMG_0597.JPG

After reaching the valley floor I cycled through the extensive grounds of Blundells School before turning onto quiet country lanes. I began a gentle but long climb (8 miles) from approximately 250 feet up to 700 feet, heading through Uplowman and Huntsham before dropping rapidly into Bampton.

From Bampton there was some rolling hills on quiet country lanes and a visit from the P fairy. I was surprised to get a P as I have some brand new Conti Gatorskins and it was only a thorn that caused the P. It was the first real trial of my Lezyne Tech Drive HP pump. It took a while but it got my 700 x 25C tyres very firm and ready to ride again. I completed the climb and had a very steep descent into Exebride. Unfortunately the pub was closed.
IMG_0599.JPG

From Exebridge it was climbing from 370 feet up to 920 feet over about 6 miles (with a few drops) within easy reach of the border of Exmoor. When I reached Rackenford I had a clipless moment due to a screw having come out of one of the cleats. I fell to the right spilling out into the middle of the road. Fortunately there was no traffic. I removed the cleat from my right shoe to ride the rest of the trip home, which was mostly downhill.

The highlight of the day was cycling down one of the green tunnels formed by the trees on either side behind a buzzard flying at the same speed.

I'm home now nursing my right wrist which is now very painful after the fall. Don't think it's broken as I can still move it okay. Bike is all ok.

All in all, over 33 miles and 2,358 feet of climbing. One of the biggest rides I have done.

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/332725114/segments/7884800911

Hugs
Archeress x

Simontm

Veteran
T

I'm home now nursing my right wrist which is now very painful after the fall. Don't think it's broken as I can still move it okay. Bike is all ok.

All in all, over 33 miles and 2,358 feet of climbing. One of the biggest rides I have done.

Hugs
Archeress x
I really don't like how you can't not like certain things in someone's post.
Hope the wrist doesn't cause too much trouble and glad the bike's OK ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today had it's good and bad points. I had to go to the dentist which is in Cullompton, Devon as I am still with my childhood dentist. The dentist found a small hole in a molar, but we decided to leave it alone for the time being. As I was back in the area where I grew up I had decided to take the bike with me.

Starting from my parents home, which is high above the valley floor in Tiverton I descended rapidly, crossing the Grand Western Canal (which is also high up above the valley)
View attachment 93429

After reaching the valley floor I cycled through the extensive grounds of Blundells School before turning onto quiet country lanes. I began a gentle but long climb (8 miles) from approximately 250 feet up to 700 feet, heading through Uplowman and Huntsham before dropping rapidly into Bampton.

From Bampton there was some rolling hills on quiet country lanes and a visit from the P fairy. I was surprised to get a P as I have some brand new Conti Gatorskins and it was only a thorn that caused the P. It was the first real trial of my Lezyne Tech Drive HP pump. It took a while but it got my 700 x 25C tyres very firm and ready to ride again. I completed the climb and had a very steep descent into Exebride. Unfortunately the pub was closed.
View attachment 93430

From Exebridge it was climbing from 370 feet up to 920 feet over about 6 miles (with a few drops) within easy reach of the border of Exmoor. When I reached Rackenford I had a clipless moment due to a screw having come out of one of the cleats. I fell to the right spilling out into the middle of the road. Fortunately there was no traffic. I removed the cleat from my right shoe to ride the rest of the trip home, which was mostly downhill.

The highlight of the day was cycling down one of the green tunnels formed by the trees on either side behind a buzzard flying at the same speed.

Hugs
Archeress x
A like for the report and I hope that the wrist will feel better soon.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

View attachment 93429

View attachment 93430

Hugs
Archeress x
I ride those hills quite often. :thumbsup:

Hope the wrist feels better tomorrow,

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Great ride Bazzer, good miles and climbing and well done on Winnats. That climb is several orders of magnitude harder than anything on my CC ride. That final picture is a climb called Peep o' Day. There's a much nicer ascent if you're going to do it again. Have a look on the map for Maynestones Road out of Chinley.

Cheeky link to my CC ride as we don't have many interested so far:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/snakes-cats-and-bricks-peak-district-july-18th.181404/

I'll check that out when over there again. Thanks:thanks:

They be Belted Galloways

(AKA Panda Cows :smile:)

Thank you.:thanks:

Just goes to show what you see and learn as a cyclist, instead of hurlting past them in a car;
"Look at those cows Dad!".
"What cows?"

Seems the cows have their own web site:smile:
http://www.beltie.org/

A lovely 50km or so in the sun today on the Bianchis. Highlight was passing through a village at school chucking-out time and our little peloton being joined by a mum with two kids on bikes confident on the road home. They took delight in whizzing past the "racers". Took in two pubs on the way as we checked that places on our club runs list were still open and friendly, and ended up with home-cooked spaghetti marinara and a bottle of Toscana in the garden. Heaven.

13 rider

Guru
Another lovely evening so out with the bike . Took the defy again and headed out to some new territory .Through Newtown Linford and out to Markfield and headed towards Thornton ,instead of turning to the reservoir I kept straight on to Botcheston left to Newtown unthank into Desford and left down Lindridge lane past Tropical Birdland to Merrylees on to Bagworth and into Thornton and turned left to the back to Markfield Newtown Linford and Home . 19.2 miles at 16.25 mph in lovely weather .For some reason I rarely head this way for rides but having found some lovely lanes I will be back.I few cyclists out tonight and everyone seemed to be headed the opposite way to me so no drafting tonight .

theloafer

Legendary Member
just a short ride today spent more time eating biscuits+coffee drinking than bike riding..:laugh:... popped over to see no1 son at west Auckland (Bandit country) bike never left my sight :laugh::laugh: then over to spennymoor via the Auckland way old railway /cyclepath..which I did think might be a bad idea ..as I was on the carbon with 23 ;) truth was it was a smoother ride than the bloody road then back home via the A167 and ferryhill/rushyford ..24 miles

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/814613625

WP_20150625_001.jpg

WP_20150625_002.jpg

WP_20150625_003.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Well this is a novelty, doing my write up from the comfort of my laptop using Wireless Broadband, rather than my mobile phone using copious amounts of data. I have been in my new house for FOUR months and it's taken B.T that long to sort a landline and then Broadband :cursing: Brewery, organise and a rude word for drinking would be quite apt!!

Anyhow, on with the ride details. My 1st ride since arriving back from the Lakes and a regular evening ride in what must be the warmest weather of 2015 so far. It actually felt like Summer and about time to!!:sun:

I found the 1st few miles into Bayston Hill and over Lyth Hill a bit odd, mainly I think because I was still wishing I was cycling in Cumbria and not back in Shropshire, being back at work for 4 days :sad:. However, Strava tells me I did the 4 mile segment to the top of Lyth Hill in my fastest time ever and being into the Southerly breeze it proves that 107 miles of hilly cycling in Cumbria is good for the legs!! Pulled myself together, told myself to stop moping and on I went.

I dropped down to Exfords Green and then deviated up to Stapleton Common, where the lanes were ridiculously busy with traffic and that was a trait of the whole ride. Where is everyone going on a Thursday evening? Mostly well behaved though. Passed through Stapleton, Dad was out and so no chat with him tonight, and onto Ryton and Longnor, where I turned towards the North and had the breeze behind me.

Over the next 10 miles I flew along, for me anyhow, cruising at 20 to 25 mph happily through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots, with the odd hilly bit to slow me occasionally, but setting 8 new PB's on Strava and meaning I averaged 12 mph over a whole ride for the first time in 2015. I'm happy with that on a heavy CX Tourer.

22 Miles.

Orangreen

Regular
A day free from work and no rain or gales ^_^ I went on an out and back ride which took about 1.5 hours (16miles). It was a bit warmer than previous rides this year but light winds. I stopped at half way and got chatting to a walker about the TdF and various riders chances. Towards the end I came across a small CTC group and followed at a respectful distance until I was almost home...didn't want to be labeled a wheelsucker :laugh:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I was absolutely shattered at the start of the week and told myself that this week could be gentler since my target for the month was comfortably within my sights. Not sure how my brain translated this into plotting a 70 mile ride down into Devon with 4,500ft of climbing, but that was my ride yesterday under a big blue sky. The legs coped admirably for the first 50 miles and then started complaining. Everything joined in for the last stretch, and I was curled up in bed and fast asleep by 9pm!

I chose Buckland Hill as my gateway onto the Blackdown Hills and on the way up, passed a farmer coming down the hill in his tractor. He waved and gave me a thumbs up, which earned him a big smile from me. At least, I tried to smile. It may have come across as a grimace. From there, I rode along the ridge and then dropped down through Churchinford and Upottery before the second big climb up from the river Otter. I paused between the two villages at the Upottery Airfield Memorial in what used to be a sentry box during the Second World War. If you've watched Band of Brothers, then you know some of the story.

The hill out of Upottery is a bit of a killer but yesterday was the easiest it's ever been and I was able to push on and cross the main road at the top without cursing my luck at the clear road, unlike the first time when I thought I was going to pass out! The only problem was the headwind that greeted me at the top, but I tried to ignore it and enjoy the views. This is probably why it decided to keep me company for most of the ride. A real againsterly. :rolleyes:

The first proper descent turned out to be a bit of a revelation for me. I've always thought my problems with some descents were down to a lack of confidence and skill but I now know that I simply don't like the sharp ones where the ground falls away from you. I like long descents with wide corners, not ones where you have to break for a blind bend almost as soon as you set off, having built up an incredible amount of speed in the blink of an eye. I'm happy at 40mph so long as I'm not required to do much more than steer. This descent had me bricking it at 30mph! At least I now know the difference between my likes and dislike so can approach them differently and try to work on my bike handling for the horrible ones.

Lunch was at Honiton Garden Centre, which I like as hardly anyone goes there during the week so there's never a queue, and the staff are always friendly. Plus one of them owns a collie who tries to herd the customers but otherwise ignores you until your food arrives.

The next descent was much more fun, swooping down into Ottery St Mary at 40mph on a nice wide road. As always, I regretted not planning to stop here as it's a beautiful village and is definitely one that requires some exploring. It also marked a change in the landscape and the hills started rolling instead of rearing. A perfect day to be out on the bike, really. Apart from my againsterly.

I decided against a second stop in Culmstock, though did pause in a gateway to apply more suncream. This attracted the attention of one of the cows who came over to say hello and slobber all over my bike, which made me laugh, leading to the misapplication of suncream. My eyeballs didn't appreciate the extra protection.

Back on home turf, I crossed the border back into Somerset and headed for home, stopping one last time to enjoy the scenery.

Last edited:

Wades

Had a really nice 45 mile ride taking in the Worth and Forest Ways this morning.

Malt loaf stop on the bridge at groombridge station and then home. Just loverly.
IMG_20150626_094739939.jpg

An almost completely perfect day off... Apart from having to use the road for all of about 5% of it and the crazies (apparently having been waiting for me to emerge from the woods) then taking their chance to attempt to decorate their cars with an interesting (and unwilling) Wades shaped bonnet ornament!

Also while i'm having a mild rant... Goodness me there's a lot of of miserable gits out there who struggle with the concept of being offered a cheery good morning!

Shout out to the lady on the cargo bike/ canal boat replica near Forest Row! Nice chat and great bike you've got!

Top Bottom