Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/333303668

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lovely day for it :thumbsup:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just my regular Home to Hospital ride today. I had a bit of time, but not much due to faffing about, so rode down to Cringleford and then up to Intwood and across to East Carleton before heading home via the foot bridge, Cringleford again and to the hospital.

I was faster than I thought at an average of 14.5mph, as I was feeling very sluggish in the extreme. Not a long ride as it's 'This Girl Can' at the UEA Sportspark tonight so aerobics, zumba, climbing etc will abound. 10.51 miles in 43 minutes and 1 whole second.

BSRU

A Human Being
A hard 71.5km ride this morning with 950m of going up.
The first 49km, which included two rides up the same cat 3 hill, had 770m of going up:training::eek:.
Not very sunny but very muggy this morning, lots of sweating on the climbs:heat::sweat:.

Saw this guy going up the cat 3 hill as I was going down to the bottom to start my first ride up it. On a proper steel bike with legs of steel, the sort of rider that just keeps going and going(a bit like the terminator)^_^.
apic.png

Saw this guy later making the Snap hill climb look easy, it's used for the local hill climbing competition, it's a hard short climb and it hurts(alot:cry:).
cpic.png

He turned around at the top, as a few kms later he overtook me pushing a huge looking gear with comparative ease:eek:. We had a little chat about how good it was to be out cycling:okay:.

A view going down Snap hill, part of the 17% bit, also I can see some rain coming:thumbsup:.
C0038(2).jpg

Had to make do with some Angel cake to fulfil my cake replenishment needs:headshake::tongue:.

Simontm

Veteran
An easy 50 miler this morning. Through claygate, Arbrook common, down Sandy Lane into Cobham the over Ockham and then into Guildford.
image.jpg
image.jpg (Not the Cathedral as that is ugly)

Anyway, under the A3 to get promptly lost which allowed me to a) find a lovely little village called Wood st
image.jpg
image.jpg
And then (b) as I vaguely headed Woking-way, to find a tree covered avenue called, er, the Avenue.
So Woking-Sheerwater-Byfleet-addlestone-Weybridge-Walton.
At Walton I was overtaken by a frowner but hey, I had done 45miles and this was my warm down :whistle:^_^
Hampton court then home. Lovely weather though I am now getting Disney hands thanks to the mitts ^_^

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
So the missus said, "I was thinking about going for a ride before it got too hot" and I said fine. The she appears all togged up (sortof) and I realise she meant it. Five minutes later I've changed ready for the ride, but she's faffing around ....

1.jpg

So off we go, and what should we see but your friendly neighbourhood heron. We of course stop to take a photo but he'll only let us get so near.

2.jpg

before moving further along the bank.

3.jpg

It was quite noticeable that the foliage had grown up a great deal since our last foray in this direction, more so that the canal path to the south. Looking across the fields I noticed a building missed before - clearly with my confidence rising I'm no longer concentrating on the path surface so much and have started to look around. Mind you, one or two lumps of concrete did take me by surprise.

4.jpg

We stopped by the boatyard, which is by the railway, actually the whole canal is by the railway, and a Virgin Train put in an appearance. Mrs MY found a convenient bush while I observed a couple who were having a friendly discussion. He seemed to be having the best of it until, walking along the edge of the boat, he slipped and went in between the boat and side. Interestingly he was only chest deep, but deeply embarrassed.

5.jpg

He clambered out and started to get sorted when some more cyclists came along. He was unhurt, but rather wet.

6.jpg

There seemed to be quite a few cyclists out, with the fine weather, but no tourists were seen. I assume they were all like us, just out for shortish rides. Wifey had suggested that we ought to think about making a day of it one day and stopping somewhere for lunch, so I suggested that stopping in the supermarket for sandwiches today might make a good trial. Why is it that cycling with Mrs MY always results in a trip to a supermarket? So we bought some sandwiches (me) and fruit (both) and sat on some old lock gates in the shade. On the way out a heron was obviously thinking of popping into the supermarket as well.

7.jpg

It was uncomfortably hot at times, but a spin down a country road parallel to the canal did produce a bit more of a breeze, and raise our maximum speed. Most of the canal path is very bumpy and not very pleasant so it made a nice change. Mrs MY's saddle still slips into a uncomfortable (45 degree) position and seems to have developed a port/starboard list as well. I really must get a new bracket for it. She was complaining of discomfort quite a bit.

And yes, I did ask the guy on the narrowboat if he had dried out, on the return trip.

10.9miles max 17, avg 5.6 mph. Year to date, 184.4miles

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just back from my pre 5.30 am morning ride leaving the boro via the "Mad Mile" along past Beckworths , Sywell Aerodrome , through the villages of Sywell and Overstone round and along the old walled grounds of Overstone Manor into the edges of Northampton .

A nice gradual descent to Billing Aquadrome and the first sighting of a n other cyclist quickly followed by 2 more a polite "morning" was exchanged by all . Over the river nene by the mill and then a slight climb into Cogenhoe and an even faster descent touching 34mph out of the village and then along past the turnings to Wishton and Earls Barton before climbing up into Grendon and again another fast descent out of the village heading towards Wollaston .

Wollaston is a nice village just a shame about the eyesore of Scott Barder's Chemical works never mind the smell , along to Irchester with a drop down to Little Irchester and then back into the boro and a visit to the old Zoo gardens where the animals were still a bit sleepy , all in all just under 25 miles

WP_20150627_001.jpg
WP_20150627_002.jpg
WP_20150627_004.jpg
WP_20150627_005.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice early morning ride around the beautiful sights of Cheshire including Stanlow and the Ellesmere Pirt effluent works!
It got better after that as we went into the really beautiful Cheshire countryside. Cheshire is flat isn't it, so I seem to remember... Not the bit that goes near @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's front door I can tell you!

Did this ride with my brother Pete who turned 60 this week!

http://www.strava.com/activities/333845755

Diggs

Veteran
Another ride out with the local bike shop this morning. Not as many numbers given the weather but boy, it's so nice to be out in a summer jersey!
yjsocial.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having not had the chance to get out for a pedal since my Monday morning ride back to London from the London-Brighton last Sunday, I was going stir crazy!
This morning though, I had an hour or two free before w*rk so was able to get a few miles in on the Marin.

DSC_1539.JPG

Down behind Riverside Retail park, there's access to The Washlands across some fields. They flood during the winter (and occasionally summer!!) but were nice and dry today.

DSC_1540.JPG

I did try to keep to the speed down, but think I broke the limit a few times. Shhhh.... :okay:

Once through Houghton, I had a nice downhill into the back of Billing Aquadrome.

DSC_1542.JPG

The only thing to watch on this bit was where the ground had dried out into quite big cracks. Just right to jam a tyre into and head over the handlebars....

Sadly, I didn't have too long to play out today, but did pop in to see the Grandkids for 5 minutes on the way back before a final circuit of Lings Woods.

Home on 15 miles before lunch, shower and w*rk... Booooooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/333886641

:smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Just a short 23 miler after the last couple of days. Over Arbrook Common to the Coverts.
image.jpg
Then out on the Chessington/ Ashtead side. Into Leatherhead then out to Bookham, Effingham, Downside, Cobham, Oxshott, Esher, home. Needless to say I was absolutely bombing today as I forgot to put strava on so have no idea bout averages :rolleyes:^_^
Literally at the end of my road was a fellow cyclist concerned about a puncture but he said he was OK and I had done my good deed for the day :smile:

A nice early morning ride around the beautiful sights of Cheshire including Stanlow and the Ellesmere Pirt effluent works!
It got better after that as we went into the really beautiful Cheshire countryside. Cheshire is flat isn't it, so I seem to remember... Not the bit that goes near @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's front door I can tell you!

Did this ride with my brother Pete who turned 60 this week!

http://www.strava.com/activities/333845755

Tell me about it! and you almost did cycle passed my front door... you managed the end of my lane :biggrin: It will be good when they have resurfaced that section through Delamere Forest!
Can't wait for it to be nice and smooth....

To anyone not aware, the east west road through Delamere Forest that is the national cycle route is closed from Monday for 4 days for resurfacing... :wahhey:

My ride today was to see if I could manage a 20 mile ride. To date, the most I have done since my last back op 6 weeks ago is 15 miles, to it is quite a large jump. The plan was to follow a set route and not worry about speed. The route was to take me through a lot of climbing for these parts, drop down onto the Cheshire plain on the Chester side of life and then turn around and do it all again.

Nothing much happened, except the sun came out from sunrise onwards and it promised to be warm and sunny... I kept my speed down, didn't push myself too hard and made sure I had a dose of morphine before I walked out of the front door. My route through Delamere Forest told me I won't be going that way next week, they are resurfacing (parts of) it. So that is off the agenda which is a shame because I had planned on using it from today onwards. Oh well.

I did meet a couple of riders (only one of them had a problem) whom I offered assistance to, but there was little that could be done once the problem was known - a blown rim. They had a long walk back...
I got home just in time for lunch, knackered and now not able to do anything else for the day, but I did manage 20 miles with +1000 feet of climbing (ignore strava it has robbed me of over 400feet!)

IMG_3565.JPG

for @Hill Wimp

IMG_3569.JPG

I was down there not that long ago... Them there be the welsh mountains where dragons lives @welsh dragon well not that dragon but...

https://www.strava.com/activities/333906428 20 miles in not too bad a time for me, I was expecting the average to be much lower!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My ride today was to see if I could manage a 20 mile ride. To date, the most I have done since my last back op 6 weeks ago is 15 miles, to it is quite a large jump. The plan was to follow a set route and not worry about speed. The route was to take me through a lot of climbing for these parts, drop down onto the Cheshire plain on the Chester side of life and then turn around and do it all again.

Nothing much happened, except the sun came out from sunrise onwards and it promised to be warm and sunny... I kept my speed down, didn't push myself too hard and made sure I had a dose of morphine before I walked out of the front door. My route through Delamere Forest told me I won't be going that way next week, they are resurfacing (parts of) it. So that is off the agenda which is a shame because I had planned on using it from today onwards. Oh well.

I did meet a couple of riders (only one of them had a problem) whom I offered assistance to, but there was little that could be done once the problem was known - a blown rim. They had a long walk back...
I got home just in time for lunch, knackered and now not able to do anything else for the day, but I did manage 20 miles with +1000 feet of climbing (ignore strava it has robbed me of over 400feet!)

View attachment 93674
for @Hill Wimp

View attachment 93675
I was down there not that long ago... Them there be the welsh mountains where dragons lives @welsh dragon well not that dragon but...

https://www.strava.com/activities/333906428 20 miles in not too bad a time for me, I was expecting the average to be much lower!

Beautiful photo and there are more mountains than you can shake a stick at. Many thanks SNSSO.

gavgav

Guru
A ride out with @Rickshaw Phil today. I set off in pleasant but fresher weather and the short distance down to the Brooklands pub, where Phil arrived within 2 minutes. What was apparent already and contrary to the forecast, a strong wind from the West yet again :wacko:

We bumped our way along the awful cycle paths in Shrewsbury and then out on the busier road to Montford Bridge, before turning onto quieter lanes to Shrawardine, following Lon Cambria.

Castle ruins that I haven't spotted before
image.jpg

We continued around the lanes to Pentre and Royal Hill, pausing for a quick snack outside the pub. Really must visit it for a drink soon. The campsite there had quite a few caravans and tents there, with people enjoying the weather.

The wind was even stronger now and so it was slow going to Melverley, taking a slight detour for me to have a call of nature :whistle: and then we crossed into Wales and up to Coedway. We were onto a busier road again to Princes Oak, but it was fine, in fact all of the traffic today was really relaxed and well behaved :okay:.

We turned up Pecknall Lane and some climbing up to our lunch stop

@Rickshaw Phil suitably fed
image.jpg

We were still into the wind, which had veered south westerly now, as we passed through Halfway House and Westbury, before taking some new territory for me, up Hinwood Lane to Asterley, with lovely views of the Stiperstones. Phil threatens to get me up there soon :eek:
image.jpg

There was left turn and some climbing up to a place called Edge, before dropping down to Lea Cross. There is a nasty busy road to cross, where I was a bit more cautious than I probably should have been, but we safely headed up Shorthill, good job it's short as its steep, before passing Arscott Golf Club and down to Annscroft.

There we joined the road through Hook-A-Gate and with the wind finally behind us made good progress to Nobold, where I took Phil through Meole Brace following a route he hadn't taken before.

We parted ways at the pub again and I arrived back home having done bang on 35 miles.

Top Bottom