Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
16.3 miles this day, glorious weather after all the storms. 76f, and slight breeze from the north, hardly enough to lift a gull. I rode into Normal for lunch with Mrs. GA (patty melt and french fries) at Merry Anns' Diner on old Route 66, then I rode down to a couple of cycle shops and returned home by the countryside. The Fuji did a fine job of it.
Here it is at Merry Anns'
Fuji%20at%20Merry%20Anns%20Diner_edited-1_zpsititzxel.jpg

jhawk

Veteran
Glorious weather here today too, and I took my touring bike out for the first time this year! :smile:

Only able to get the one picture.

DSC_0057.JPG

One self-criticism I have is that I have to stop worrying about p*nctures. Constantly, I find myself wincing every time I hit a bump or some debris or what have you. Obviously, avoid broken glass/porcupine quills/other pointy sharp objects, but I realise that I need to start trusting my equipment.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Looks like a lot of my route yesterday was the same as @ianrauk ...From Medway, taking the FNRttC route into Whitstable, via Seasalter...

IMG_1423a.jpg

...Then pushing on, passing the maintenance barges for the Thames wind-farm...

IMG_1425a.jpg

...Even Herne Bay can look nice in this weather...

IMG_1426a.jpg

...Past Reculver Towers...

IMG_1429a.jpg

...And into Margate for a couple of pints in the sunshine. Smashing

Mattonsea

Über Member
To celebrate loosing half a stone this month , I decided to see if this had turned me into Jens ... It hadn't but it did feel better and less of a struggle.
Climbing does feel enjoyable and less of a pain fest.
The New forest was looking and smelling wonderful ,lots if hay is being made in tiny paddocks . Old balers and mowers have been dragged out of hedges for the annual trip around the fields . It just smells of Summer .
No pictures sorry , Google the New Forest, anyhooo a steady 35miles at 16mph average.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
@tfg71 ,500 has Sora, always been happy with that.500SE has Microshift, and I have no experience with Microshift. I've heard others say that Microshift doesn't have the durability of Sora. Sora is 3x9, Microshift is 3x8. A few extra pounds now may save many extra pounds later.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
To celebrate loosing half a stone this month , I decided to see if this had turned me into Jens ... It hadn't but it did feel better and less of a struggle.
Climbing does feel enjoyable and less of a pain fest.
The New forest was looking and smelling wonderful ,lots if hay is being made in tiny paddocks . Old balers and mowers have been dragged out of hedges for the annual trip around the fields . It just smells of Summer .
No pictures sorry , Google the New Forest, anyhooo a steady 35miles at 16mph average.
Sounds great, Matt.

with my son ( 22 yrs old) returning home last week for the foreseable future and declaring he neededs to do more cardio ( he is a powerlifter mainly by means of a hobby) it was decided me the missus and him would do a 20-25 mile off road ride yesterday. Well we only managed 9. Two miles in found a stray dog, had a collar rang the owner, waited for the owner to turn up etc. We had some family mid ride sprints. My son was chuffed he could hold off his mum. Then we all got chased by another wandering dog. We decided not to try and catch this one as he was a little ill tempered. Then at the 7 mile point my missus decides its another mid ride sprint up a long drag. The poor boy could not catch her. He then decided it was time to go home. He now wishes he had carried on as he has had quite a ribbing over it.
My daughter has come home today from uni and it has been decided between them that they will do a few miles together and he will help her in the gym. ( she wants to be able to do tricep dips unaided) She is building the miles for LeJOG in august so he is going to have his work cut out from his performance yesterday.

G3CWI

Veteran
The Catch - failed

The local club had a ride to Chester planned for today (133km round trip). A mate and I wondered how much of a lead we could reel back in on the outward leg to the lunch stop in Chester. I worked through the numbers and decided that we might be able to pull back one and a half hours. That probably sounds a lot over 66km but they had a cafe stop scheduled on the outward leg and I figured that would take 40 minutes leaving 50 minutes to pull back by cycling faster.

The main group set off at 8:30 and we started at 10. I imagine they enjoyed their ride, ours was more about pain and suffering. Their cafe stop involved them cycling off the route and back and we were uncertain if we could just cycle on but we would then risk overtaking them while they were in the cafe. In the event we did the 15 minute detour only to find that they had left. That was annoying as it meant they were at least 15 minutes ahead. More pain and suffering followed. We eventually bowled up at the lunch stop to find they had been there for 12 minutes. So over 66km we had reeled back 35 minutes (they spent 43 minutes at their cafe stop). I'm too tired to work out how much faster than them we must have been cycling.

On the way back we were happy to cycle back with the group in lovely sunshine. A day of two very distinct halves - as my heart monitor shows! 133km total cycling.

heart.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The Catch - failed

The local club had a ride to Chester planned for today (133km round trip). A mate and I wondered how much of a lead we could reel back in on the outward leg to the lunch stop in Chester. I worked through the numbers and decided that we might be able to pull back one and a half hours. That probably sounds a lot over 66km but they had a cafe stop scheduled on the outward leg and I figured that would take 40 minutes leaving 50 minutes to pull back by cycling faster.

The main group set off at 8:30 and we started at 10. I imagine they enjoyed their ride, ours was more about pain and suffering. Their cafe stop involved them cycling off the route and back and we were uncertain if we could just cycle on but we would then risk overtaking them while they were in the cafe. In the event we did the 15 minute detour only to find that they had left. That was annoying as it meant they were at least 15 minutes ahead. More pain and suffering followed. We eventually bowled up at the lunch stop to find they had been there for 12 minutes. So over 66km we had reeled back 35 minutes (they spent 43 minutes at their cafe stop). I'm too tired to work out how much faster than them we must have been cycling.

On the way back we were happy to cycle back with the group in lovely sunshine. A day of two very distinct halves - as my heart monitor shows!

View attachment 93909
:laugh: i thought that was the route

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate and I had planned a ride this morning despite the rain. I'd finished w*rk at midnight so was up bright and early by about 8 ish and heading over to his place, about 8 or 9 miles away by just after 9.
As he is recovering from a bad knee and was wearing his strap-on, we only went on a gentle(ish) ride up the Brampton Valley, into Brixworth and round Pitsford Res to grab a coffee and ice cream in the rain and drizzle.

DSC_1547.JPG

I think the only reason there were people there today was to support a charity ride around the res. Pretty miserable there otherwise to be honest.

Still, it's good to get out for a pedal anyway..

On the way back, we used Spectacle Lane, and the slippery ford at the bottom of the hill. As we were soaked, a dunk in the river wouldn't have made much difference anyway!

DSC_1548.JPG

The gate lodge at the top of the lane. Hard to tell if it's occupied or not at the moment.

Back home on 30 miles after a quick spin around Lings Woods. Strangely, this afternoon the sun was shining nicely.. :dry:

https://www.strava.com/activities/334646167

:smile:

Top Bottom